PDA

View Full Version : Studying the Old Masters

bruce johnson
11-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi Guys :wave: :wave:

I've been posting in the portraiture section and only just found this section by accident but very pleased I have :clap: .. I'm trying to improve my portraiture and I'm studying the old masters trying to learn how they did what they did...

Here's a couple of studies that I have done recently .. Mona Lisa as a monochrome study and my attempt at one of Rembrandts Self Portraits.. the shiny cadmium yellow in the self portrait is from the white balance in my camera.. my good camera is in the shop being fixed so I had to use my sons'.. IRL you can't see the yellow as it is the base colour for the shadow side of the face.. this is covered with Burnt Sienna and/or Burnt Umber so it is hidden but makes the shadow side of the face pop as much as the side in the light. .. Does that make sense :confused:

This about 10 hours work with a seven colour palette..

oil on canvas board.. 20 x 16

Up until now I have only really painted in pastel but I'm starting to love oil.. it's so forgiving and you never DON'T have the right colour.. you just mix it.. not like pastel..

I'll let this sit for a week and touch up some of the areas I'm not happy with

I'll take another pic when I get my camera back from the shop

Hope you all like.

Cheers Bruce
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2009/17761-DSCF0267.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2009/17761-Rembrandt_SelfPortrait.jpg

neenashenoy
12-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Such admirable skill! The eyes and nose on the MonaLisa have come out beautifully. But I feel the lips have a very slight twist which could be set right with a few strokes.
The Rembrandt has come out so well that it doesn't even look like a new painting...!! I'd believe you if you said it's several centuries old ! Awesome.

denise dyson
12-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Hi Bruce,

What a lovely surprise to come across your two beautiful paintings.
I especially love your Mona Lisa no your Rembrandt no no your Mona
Lisa, surfice to say they are both beautiful.

bruce johnson
12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi Neena Thank you for your nice comments and suggestion re the lips.. I agree with what you say. :thumbsup:

Hi Denise ... your comments made me laugh.. :lol: :lol: I hope to post more of my paintings in the future if you'd like to see them

Cheers Bruce :wave:

pameladallaire
01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Beautiful works. :)

Pam

bruce johnson
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for stopping bye Pam and your nice comments.:wave: :thumbsup:

Kellih
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Bruce J-I think these are outstanding! I always love the 'burnt' layer- I like it as it is in this stage :)