PDA

View Full Version : Ashley

Sam Harrison
11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello Pastel forum! I've posted in the Talk section before but not in the studio/gallery, so here's something I believe fits.

This is what I call a "semi-color" drawing, it bears a resemblance to both soft pastel work and a color drawing and is done with a very small palette.

I use 3-4 conte crayons (bistre and a couple shades of sanguine, plus black) for the majority of the skin, do the eyes, mouth, clothes, fine details, etc. in pastel pencils (3 shades of caput mortuum, ivory, green for the eyes, and a light and dark gray).

Soft pastels are used for highlights, adding a little color variety to the skin, and such. I don't remember what the color names are, but there's an orangish one, an almost white one, and a blue-gray.

The result isn't exactly in real-life accurate color, but it seems to work well for darker skinned people like her.

I have a bunch of regular soft pastels too... haven't got around to fooling with them yet. They're just so... soft.

Paula Ford
11-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Beautiful piece Sam! It has lots of personality!

Kathryn Wilson
11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
She's a beauty - I can see why you'd want to paint her portrait. I like your expressive line work, especially her hair. Her eyes are very striking. Good work on the teeth too.

Try your softer pastels on a sanded surface - I think you'll like using them a bit better than on this paper.

Donna T
11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Very nice! I like how you did her hair - interesting without being fussy.

BetsyPriesing
11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
very nice lots of fullness/roundness to her. :)

rudiratlos44
11-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Very nice. I like your stroke handling (is it correct in Englisch?), the freshness, the loose strokes, not too much details.
LG
Rudi

Sam Harrison
11-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Paula, Kathryn, Betsy, and Rudi!

I do have some Colourfix and Pastelbord; I'm quite eager to try them out but I still haven't found the "ideal" subject. Not sure what that might be until I see it though.

Merethe T
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Nice work, Sam, I'm glad you decided to post in the Studio as well! I like your style, expressive and fresh. The eyes are very captivating! Look forward to see more work from you....