PDA

View Full Version : Electric blue skies.....

~~Kathleen
11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I am not sure where this is going yet. I now have it blocked and am working on details now.
The inspiration photo that I took in front of our place this summer.....You know how sometimes, just after dusk, the sky turns an electric blue? I used my ISO on the little digital camera and got this....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2009/92567-Night_sky_on_Acerage_IIreduced_and_photoshopped.JPG

This is where I am now,A very long way to go. I am not sure how to paint in the lights, but I can see now where I have to raise the horizon if I want to do it!
Sorry re the glare, this is an impossible painting to photograph as yet.
Actually (While it doesn't seem so,)the painting colours are pretty bang on with the reference photo.
22" X 28"
Critiques/comments appreciated.
Thanks
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2009/92567-night_sky_for_posting.JPG

purplepansey
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Kathleen it's looking good. What is, where is the ISO on a digital, don't know if I've tried that yet but my photography skills are zilch!
Looking forward to the finish on this one. xxxshrl

noodle1
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Great photo, great beginning!

Since you have to raise your horizon line I'd suggest leaving bits of that area open then perhaps dab in, white with a bit of ochre or your preference color, if you have zinc white it will lighten up the other areas to a whiter (little washes til you see the shift in color) look but softer so it suggests they are lights. They can blur out a bit with a semi-wet brush so I wouldn't worry you'll get them in just fine.

Your sky is looking good, only thing I'd suggest maybe would be to define those clouds more as you go. Float the cluster patterns more so your depth gets even better and your colors pop off of one another more.

It'll be terrific, wonderfully dramatic I'm sure. Just my thoughts.

Elaine

~~Kathleen
11-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Purple and Noodle.
I took it outside and photographed it there.
I think this is a much better pic now.
Just to clarify, I am not doing a replica of the photo
Just using it as a guide.
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2009/92567-night_sky_second.jpg

Einion
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
When painting a subject like this with silhouetted trees I think it's best to paint the sky in its entirety and then tackle the trees (sketching them in lightly with pencil before adding paint if necessary). A very dark mix or black will tend to easily cover anything underneath.

As to the lights, I would paint them using just opaque colours if possible, so that only one or two coats would be necessary for good coverage. If you don't have any cad yellows or reds I would dot them in with Titanium White and then glaze carefully over them to get the right colour(s).

Einion

debee
11-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I think this is coming along well. Give it a good squint to help define the light areas.

susme48
11-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Kathleen, wonderful start!! I'll just sit here and wait! (anyone have cookies or donuts? I have coffee)

arl
11-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Beautiful beginning.

OkeeKat
11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Beautiful blues Kathleen!
Love it already!

RPut
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
OOhh, really like the mood and dark colors of this. Nice!