PDA

View Full Version : The REAL Thanksgiving painting: Turkey or...?

Deborah Secor
11-26-2009, 01:43 PM
So I read an article about how many people are having turkey for their Thanksgiving Day feast and how many rebel and have something else...

Now as an artist, I'm interested in societal trends. I mean, if I decided to paint that proverbial depiction of the traditional Thanksgiving table groaning with food, what should I include? Would it be that Norman Rockwell image of turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, pumpkin pie, etc...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2009/23609-ThanksgivingFeast-743912.jpg

or something more creative and regional?

Around here you might be as likely to find green chile enchiladas, or cornbread and chorizo stuffing, or cranberry jalapeno relish!

So what will be in the painting of YOUR holiday feast? Inquiring minds want to know.... :D

Deborah

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Donna T
11-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Deborah! It's mostly the Norman Rockwell painting here, although maybe the mom in the painting knew how to make decent gravy and didn't have to open a jar. :D Since I have taken over the dining room for my studio holiday dinners are usually buffet style with extra chairs around the kitchen table. Not fancy but always fun!

Deborah Secor
11-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Donna, I'm doing a VERY simple meal for four people, with no southwestern flair this year. Just the traditional stuff: turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole (except my son is making the non-dairy gourmet version with fresh mushrooms--yum!), and pumpkin or pecan pie (yeah--for four people I have two pies... :lol:) We keep it simple, casual and relaxed. I need to go start chopping things up soon.

Enjoy! :wave:
Deborah

Adriana Meiss
11-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
We had ours yesterday. I had asked a friend and her husband to have dinner with us but she really wanted to have it at her home, with us. Great, I thought, I get kudos for the invitation and I don't have to go crazy cleaning my house, but as soon as she said she was going to cook a ham instead of a turkey I knew I had to do something. Since this is is my husband's favorite holiday we decided to have our special dinner on Wednesday. Rockwell style, with collard greens, stuffed mushrooms, stuffing, a new carrot recipe, lumpy home-made gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and pumpkin and green tomato mincemeat pie. I had a great time cooking with my daughter. Now I have a clean dining room table where I can do my framing!
Have a great day everyone! The enchiladas sound yummy...

knippes
11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Since all of our family is at least 1800 miles away, we usually go out to eat. Andy went traditional and I went for the beef - Prime Rib to be exact. Yummy! Not creative or regional, but delicious nonetheless. And I had the traditional fixings with it, corn bread, stuffing, mashed potatoes and the perennial favorite - chocolate lave cake to top it off.
-Kym

chatfieldstudios
11-26-2009, 06:17 PM
We had 4 people and one giant bear for Thanksgiving dinner....and all of our food had the Boston Market logo on it ;) The turkey was done to perfection and everything was delicious. Best decision we have ever made.

Our youngest son and his 3 kids came over about 11. The two oldest grandkids (16 and 14) went to a friends house for dinner, but before they left we had a great game of Pictionary and hot Spinach/Artichoke dip (yep, also Boston Market).

We all talked on Skype to my oldest son, wife and 7 mo old granddaughter, Emma. They were headed to the other Grandma's house for dinner.

It was really lovely, casual and fun, but now I'm ready to get back to painting!:thumbsup:

Dcam
11-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Deborah: Cool thread. This is the first time ever that we went OUT TO EAT!!!! Yuck! But it was for the sake of my aunt who is in her late 80s, in a wheel chair and the restaurant is very close to the nursing home. best thing about it was that the whole family was together.
I am Stuffed.
:p Derek

AlaskaDan
11-26-2009, 07:03 PM
All I know is that the more Crown Royal I have, the better my mother-in-laws cooking is...:lol:

Kathryn Wilson
11-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm stuffed, like the proverbial turkey!

I roasted a 13 lb. turkey, traditional stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash pudding, green beens, rolls, cranberry sauce, gravy, and pumpkin pie and ice cream on the side. Of course, fresh cidar too.

Afterwards, we played Uno!

PeggyB
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanksgiving is our family favorite holiday of all of them - even Christmas takes second chair for the adults... It begins the night before with the men of the family cutting, roasting and peeling chestnuts for my husband's family recipe of chestnut dressing - do not think in terms of traditional turkey stuffing when it comes to this delicacy! The original recipe as received from my late mother-in-law called for 2 pounds of chestnuts - well I think one could easily say my men have gone crazy! This year they insisted I get 10 pounds of chestnuts! I spent more on chestnuts, even with the special discount the produce manager gave me, than I did on the turkey. They were up until almost 2 AM working on this part of the stuffing... Then on T'Day my oldest son finished making the creation by himself, and it was probably one of the best tasting chestnut stuffings we've had in a long time. He got just the right amounts of bacon, onions, and potatoes added to the chestnuts - needless to say there was more than would fit into an almost 15# turkey, but the remainder works well in a casserole (or two in this case) with turkey drippings drizzled on top before heating in days to come....
The rest of the feast is very traditional - green bean casserole, sweet potato pie (no marshmallows on this one!), traditional stuffing made with StoveTop stuffing - one turkey and one cornbread mixed together, mashed potatoes (a small amount mixed with rutabega as that's what Hubby likes), fresh cranberry sauce, jello salad (green with pears and cream cheese), relish tray, rolls, homemade apple crisp, pecan pie, & pumpkin pie, ice cream or freshly whipped cream, sparkling cider or wine... I think I'm getting full again just writing this. Even after sending a "leftovers" package home with my youngest son and his family there's enough leftovers to last the week - well at least 4 days... The best part of this is everyone participates in some part of the cooking and cleaning, and this year even our 3 1/2 yr old grandaughter helped set the table while waiting for her 2 cousins to arrive. There were 12 of us this year at the table, and I am blessed to have had a wonderful, healthy family present.

Now I must go get ready to get off to the art center where I'll spend the afternoon painting in quiet with a few other artists. Every Friday is open studio, and although the staff won't be there I have permission to go open the building because as an instructor I have a key. I have a gift I must finish by mid Dec and haven't started on it yet so this will be an ideal time to do it. At my home studio there's too many interuptions from nonartists!
Peggy