PDA

View Full Version : impressionist portrait

kjoel
09-10-2002, 08:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-10-2002/13066_portrait-graham.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: impressionist portrait
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 14 X 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been an amatuer/self tought artist since the age of 7. I have recently decided to persue this more seriously, as a hopefull career...and am looking for opinions on the work. I also recently purchased M. Graham & Co. paints, and am interested in opinions on them, as they were used exclusively for this painting. keep in mind this was a quick portrait...created from a collection of images viewed in a french magazine. it is not supposed to be exact realism.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what do you think of the temperature/hue of the colors, etc. also very interested in opinions of the style of work(impressionist/realism...with a touch of abstract). as well as the quality/appearance of the paints themselves, as I have not used this brand before.

kjoel
09-10-2002, 09:16 PM
I forgot to tell you in the post, I know I need to add shadow in the the kneck area to seperate it more from the head.

jerryW
09-10-2002, 09:52 PM
it has an abstract quality now with great colors that could be tweaked a bit for contrast.
if you add shading you wil be in a different area altogether .
the source image would dictate where shading might go.

jnet11
09-11-2002, 12:06 PM
from what I can see of your image, you don't seem to have many value/temperature changes ... more cartoonish than impressionistic, due to the flat colors.

I recommend using your own models/photos to work from, as you are more intimately connected to them than with fashion girlies. For myself, at least, I find it easier when I am emotionally invested in the subject I am working with.

don't forget about composition when you are working! this one is very centered, I think it works here, but overuse could get old.

kjoel
09-11-2002, 12:27 PM
thanks for the advice, I agree. it would be easier to work with models I know...more emotional. also will add more value/tone to it, and see how it turns out. I will keep you posted.

Kevin

kjoel
09-11-2002, 01:01 PM
here is the image, with shading added to increase depth. I can see it is improving. I feel like I am in art school again, except this time I have good teachers. maybe that is why my work is so abstract/cartoonish? I am mainly self taught.

artbabe21
09-11-2002, 05:57 PM
keep painting & looking at portrait works...
you wouldn't believe how many artists on this site
that ARE self taught/learned...

kjoel
09-13-2002, 09:47 PM
here it is, in its current state. let me know what you think.