PDA

View Full Version : Nesting WIP

sassybird
09-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I have a long way to go on this one before it is finished. I would like your reaction of what I have done so far though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2002/Nesting_WIP.jpg

Edrin
09-13-2002, 02:22 AM
I'm not too sure what I can add to this, but since nobody else has replied I'll try my hand at it :)

It looks great so far, with a collage type feel to it. The only thing I can think to add, is that there doesn't seem to be any focal points in the piece.

Hope it helps,

Terry :D

sassybird
09-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Edrin, I am going to use chinc colle to bring out the focal points in this one. It is a very busy piece. I didn't intend it to be that way, but sometimes a piece takes on a life of it's on...lol I believe the addition of color with the chinc colle will liven it up as well as drawing the eye around and into the piece. Thank you for your comments.

Gisela
09-17-2002, 05:14 PM
I'm having trouble replying here...I'll try one more time.

I love this Sassy -- I can't wait to see where this goes. Of course, you how I love when you get all textured on me. ;)

Is this an etching with aquatint? And is that a round plate you're using?

Gis

sassybird
09-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Gisela,

Yes, that is a 6" round plate. I bought several from GC a few months ago, "Beguiled" was also done on a round plate. I still don't have my aqua tint box built, another 'to do' for Dave...lol On this piece all of the black areas are done with cross hatching, and then I went back and scraped areas especially around the steps for contrast. Took a long time...lol

I have some wonderful paper in a medium moss green that I am going to use for the chinc colle. I may even try to incorporate some other paper with plant fibers in it on the wasp nest. It will be experimental until I get the look I want. One thing about chinc colle is to make a pattern using heavy tracing paper so that each print will look the same when completed.

JustjoGA
09-17-2002, 05:55 PM
You know, Sassy, ordinarily I love your pieces on first sight.... I have to say, though, that this one lost me immediately... I can't tell what it is or is supposed to be... I can't tell what the different elements are and their relationship to each other... The artwork itself is superb as always, I'm just a little foggy on what I should be seeing.... sorry.

sassybird
09-18-2002, 03:03 AM
Jo, the bottom part is like a birds nest, then up from that is a wasp nest. Along the right side is a set of steps representing our path in life (the ups and downs). The portion slightly to the left of the stairs are caves, and the work on the left represents crumbling buildings. The calander in the back ground represents the passage of time.

I tend to get into some very abstract work from time to time. It lets all those jumbled ideas, thoughts, feelings work out with ease instead of trying to put them in an orderly manner. Does that make sense to you?

JustjoGA
09-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Thanks, Sassy... it's a very clear and concise explanation, and with it I can see everything you intended... As always, superb work...

Tony Perrotta
09-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Sas, As always you skill gets me. You have alot of patience to do all these intricate prints, very cool indeed.

Talk to you later, Tony:D

Greg C.
09-28-2002, 01:22 AM
I like this! ...and the circular plates are an excellent idea. I agree with some of the others that it lacks a real focal point but that always seems to be harder to achieve with a round format. Can't wait to see the finished image!