PDA

View Full Version : how did he do it?!?!

Dan'l
11-25-2009, 06:14 AM
check out this image

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2009/36499-venedig18.jpg

and this one

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2009/36499-NewYork10.jpg

- two of many from painter Nikolai Makarov... he uses acrylic on canvas... i first saw his work about 12 years or so ago at a gallery in nyc and have been infatuated since...

i've tried to get my acrylics to do something like this... even remotely... while i'm able to blend colors, i can't seem to get that "misty" or "foggy" quality...

any thoughts???

timelady
11-25-2009, 06:53 AM
dry brushing. Very very lightly. Over and over again. :) With mine I might go back and forth with very light dry brush applications of the colour, then back with the light/white area, back and forth several times. Using zinc white really help with this too - it's very transparent so you can build up light areas or light mixtures very slowly. Some of my glazing is also very very wet mixtures, again the same principle is used though: just doing lots of very thin applications over and over until the right opacity is reached and the edges blend/overlap. Those would be my suggestions to try. While my mist isn't as amazing (love that window light!) as his it goes that direction (attaching a couple images for you).

Another suggestion is that he might use airbrush - a friend of mine does acrylic airbrush but doesn't divulge the airbrush part. ;) (he does brush work on them too)

Tina.

Close-ups:

Einion
11-25-2009, 07:15 AM
As well as drybrushing the related technique scumbling comes to mind. Beyond specific methods the first thing I thought of was layers, since that's the classic way of achieving soft transitions in acrylics. So some combo of glazing/layering and drybrushing/scumbling is worth exploring.

There's also a possibility he sprays, which could achieve effects like this more directly.

Approximately how big are the pieces?

Einion

plec
11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I too have used many coats of very light and almost dry glazes, it seems that these also have a degree of wet in wet to allow for the merging of the colours.
ken.

Dan'l
11-25-2009, 01:30 PM
ahhhhh... airbrush is a great idea (and one that i'm ashamed i did not think of)...

Dan'l
11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Approximately how big are the pieces?

Einion

his pieces are large - i would say they average around 5' or 6' tall...