PDA

View Full Version : Cutting wine glasses

littleapplered
11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi, I need to cut the stem off of a wine glass. I've tried a hand held glass cutter, but it didn't even make a dent, and people have been suggesting a tile saw would work. I was just wondering if anyone else has an idea, or could confirm that the tile saw (a hand held one, i.e. not a circular saw) would work.

Thanks

crowkar
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Did you try to go around the stem two times with the scoring tool and then gently tap around the entire score? You may have to keep tapping a couple of times around....That works for me...I hope you have safety glasses on also....one can never be too safe! Good luck

littleapplered
11-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I couldn't even get the glass to score at all :( I've never tried to cut glass before, so I don't know how hard I should be pressing, but I was worried that if I put too much pressure on the glass would just break.

crowkar
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
You know you are scoring hard enough when the scoring tool makes an aweful scraping sound that grates on your nerves. Like nails on a chalkboard! Do you have the book Passing the Flame?....it has a good section on scoring and snapping rods... Keep us posted!

ArtWear
11-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Tile saw will do the trick.

crowkar
11-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Glad you got the stem cut....tile saw....hmmmm...sounds like another new tool for my stash! Thanks.

Sharyl
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
make sure you have oil in the or on the glass cutter. works much better that way.

hjvan
03-23-2011, 05:14 AM
When you score glass, it makes a 'sizzle' sound. And for sure, it cuts cleaner if you use an oil fed glass cutter. Any stained glass shop would be able to show what I mean.

Gaffette
10-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I know this thread is old but i just wanted to put this out there for anyone with a similar need. Cane nippers are beautiful for this kind of thing. One little squeeze and it pops right off.