PDA

View Full Version : tincture of color for effect

cobalt fingers
09-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Sometimes limiting color is an easy way to make the little color appear very strong or intense. This little work has really only the orange as a pure color.

"Tangerines on a Roost" 8x10" oil on linen

cobalt fingers
09-10-2002, 05:06 PM
Very little color here too. less is sometimes more...

LarrySeiler
09-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Really like your banana piece here Tim!!!!

Yes...a trick or simple device that the masters have used for centuries.

This goes along with what I emphasize in discussion quite often, and that is that many younger painters want to prove themselves by including incredible detail in everything....color, you name it.

I liken it to going into a choir room where everyone thinks themselves to be the solo'ist....all singing at the top of their lungs a different song and melody at the same time.

If everything is shouting, nothing gets heard!

By minimizing the competition of other voices, (in our case visual voices)...you help the viewer's eye key in on where you would have them look.

You can actually have the simplest and least going on in the background and nearly abstract...and yet if you speak to someone about that work shortly after having seen it, they'll remember how realistic it was. The few voices indeed had found their audience!

Nice post Tim....

Larry

islandwoman
09-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Recognized immediately your painting on the cover of The Artist's Magazine when I picked it up at the post office.

If I am a little late in congratulations and a thread has appeared on this subject elsewhere, sorry. My mail is slow and my internet has been down for some time.

cobalt fingers
09-17-2002, 10:42 PM
when do I get to visit you? Gotta be like living in Tuscany or Provence.