PDA

View Full Version : Thankful

Dcam
11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Here in the States we will soon be celebrating Thanksgiving.
I am so thankful for the talent that was loaned to me and the fact that I am responsible for developing and nuturing it. I am thankful for the people that crafted, made, and created, the beautiful tools that I use to make images; the soft pastels, the buttery oils and the colors that mix and flow with water.
I thank those who share their art with me to enjoy and discuss, every picture a precious part of the artist's spirit. Kindred souls who view my humble works and speak their minds are a joy and inspiration. I thank my son for the greatest and most moving picture I've ever seen: a simple and heartfelt stick figure of me with Dad scrawled above.
I am especially thankful for this W.C. Though not an upscale gallery, or museum venue; a place to feel accepted, respected, and known.
There are a million other things I am thankful for, but for now, thanks W.C.
Remember: That talent you have is on loan to you. Nurture it....make it grow.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving, Derek

gingersnap
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
though i have already celebrated thanksgiving in october i have to say this is a wonderful post. i am thankful for your great sense of humor, beautiful work which i have enjoyed with my morning coffee dcam!!!

WC is a wonderful place. the people are giving of their knowledge and art!!! aren't we lucky!!

enjoy your turkey day neighbors!!! ginger :wave:

ninagrace
11-23-2009, 11:12 PM
A lovely post :)

I too, am so thankful for art. I am thankful that I have always had such a love for art. When I'm not creating it, I am reading about it, looking at it, writing about it, or planning my next idea. Art has given me the chance to learn that even in mundane moments are scenes of real beauty. I notice things like beautiful lighting on the face of a passerby. I bet you all do too. It has been my constant companion, in the best moments of my life and the worst. I am thankful to have the means to express myself in a meaningful and satisfying way. We here are all blessed, for ours is a world full or beauty and color and great self-awareness.

Scottyarthur
11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey Derek, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, It is truely a blessing to have a wonderful family,. and great friends. May everyone have a great and wonderful day filled with family and friends,

pastel lover
11-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Derek,
An eloquently written post & I agree with every word. Thanks for posting it.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Tanja

Potoma
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I am very thankful that is it all coming together. This fall, I received two awards and sold three paintings. It really means a lot to progress and for the hard work to pay off. I guess I'm especially thankful that giving up hasn't entered into my conscious.

rugman
11-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Great post my friend! Best wishes to you and your family on a safe and happy Thanksgiving ... and to everyone else here on WC as well.

Dcam
11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Well said, All. :heart:

bluefish
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Derek, so eloquently stated - we all have so much to be thankful for!

Yes I'm very thankful for the creative ability I have been blessed with but even more thankful for the joy that this creative ability has brought to others!

i.e. - two recent incidents that happened to me but could affect any of us are as follows:

an elderly gentleman walked into a gallery and started to weep @ my picture of 'Gladiolas' - the gallery owner approached him and he stated he saw his wife - she loved 'glads' and he purchased them for her for anniversaries, birthdays, etc. She had passed on in January - he bought the painting and donated it to the library, where it hangs today with a plaque in her honor!

another couple came into a different gallery and looked at each other with tears in their eyes - the painting was one of my signature paintings,bright, bold and very colorful (sailboat regatta with a floral garden). The couple stated that they had lost their daughter(found her dead in bed) but when they saw the painting, it reminded them so much of her - bright, charming and full of warmth! They purchased the painting and hung it in her room, to forever remind them of the warmth she brought to all of them!

yes, I am truly thankful that, in my little way, I have been granted the ability to bring some joy into others lives. When we are working on those paintings, little do we know what joy they may bring to others.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my USA friends and a blessed day to all those other friends all over this wonderful world!

'blue....':thumbsup:

DAK723
11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I, too, would like to wish everyone a Happy Thansgiving! We should all be thankful for the talent we have and the ability that talent has in communicating with others!

And, yes, thanks to WetCanvas and all the members who have become part of our pastel forum family. While we all join for various reasons - whether to learn, to find answers to our technical questions, to share our artwork, or to enjoy looking at the works of others, in the end we keep coming back because of the friendships we make and the enjoyment of having a giving, sharing community that we feel part of. And for that, I thank all of you!

Don

Dcam
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Fantastic Stories Blue, thanks for sharing. (Wow).
Well said Don, thanks and Happy Holidays.
Derek

MJGresko
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm thankful for rediscovering art about 2 years ago after being dormant for many years. I'm not sure what caused me to become interested in pastels because prior to purchasing a cheap set of some obscure brand I had no interest in them. But I quickly discovered after purchasing many more sets of quality pastels that I really, really like this stuff. I still have a long way to go but I'm truely enjoying this dusty journey. And I might add all the great people that I've come to know here on WC. Without your help and inspiration it would be much harder to stay focused and moving forward. So a heart felt thanks to all at WC and have a great holiday.

Deborah Secor
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I find this to be true on WC:

Thanksgiving, to be truly thanksgiving, is first thanks, then giving.

I thank God for each and every one here. May we continue to share the art journey, with thanks for all we've received, always giving of what we have.

Deborah

PETE K
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I would also like to wish everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! and Derek you couldn't said it any better. Happy Thanksgiving Y'all.

Donna T
11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Wonderful thread, thanks so much Derek! I also am so thankful for the opportunity to meet so many wonderful artists from around the world here on WC. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

creatividee
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Derek couldn't have said it any better. We all have so much to be thankful for no matter how the day to day stresses may get to us. Each of us are truly blessed with the gift of life filled with laughter, tears, friends, family, etc. Most of all here at WC we have a worldwide community which shares a common ground through the expression of all that our lives have to offer ~~~ each in our unique, artistic ways. I hope that all the WC community no matter what nationality take a moment and ponder the things we take for granted and reach out to those who may not be so fortunate. May everyone and their loved ones have a safe and bountiful Thanksgiving.

Mary Y
11-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Derek, and all the other members of wetcanvas celebrating Thanksgiving may you have a safe and happy day with family and friends.God Bless.
Mary

adventureartist
11-25-2009, 01:04 AM
May all your travels be safe everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!:wave:

Carolene-M
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Derek, for a wonderful thread! You are a giving person.
I thank God for ALL the blessing I receive daily and at age 71, I still have good enough health to kick up some dust! :clap:

Carolene

Carolene-M
03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
WOW...I just noticed that I posted on a Thanksgiving 2009 thread!
Well...I guess its never too late to say thankyou.
Carolene

Deborah Secor
03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Carolene, I've done that, too! Lost in the mists of threads out there in WC's never-never land, who pays attention to dates? :wink2:

Bless you--and thanks for reminding me to be thankful any and every day!

Deborah