PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class1 - Drawing Basics - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Introduction

Welcome to Basics 101. I have to warn you that these first few sessions will be boring but they will pay off for you if you do the projects and take advantage of the companion guest lecture series.

Each class will be divided into three sections.:

1. I will present the subject and do a demonstration. You may either follow the demonstration or improvise one of your own as long as you stay on track for the class.

2.. You will present the result of your class assignment and talk about the process and any problems that you had doing the assignment. All members of the class may participate with comments during this phase. Also, at this phase, you may also present questions to me, which the class may answer, either I will answer or non-class participants may answer.

3. The Guest Lecture Series—this series can be found at http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm
Members of Wet Canvas have volunteered to provide demonstrations pertinent to the class material. I encourage you to check out this useful archive. Right now the lectures are only a few but more will be coming so make sure that you constantly check back for the lecture. If you have something that you might feel will contribute to the lecture series, please contact either Gavin (Zarathrustra) or myself by pm and we will tell you how to get set up for the series. One other thing—DO the demonstrations that have been posted—you can only benefit from doing them.

NOTE: this is a mechanics class so we are sticking to the bare basics here and we should make an effort to limit philosophical opinions. Now, on to the class:

Why drawing is important

Drawing is planning. Much of the success of any piece of art depends largely on how well it has been planned. Planning in art is dependent upon drawing and the final look of a finished piece will dictate how piece will look. I remember reading passage upon passage in watercolor instructions (Ray Smith for example) and publications like “Watercolor Magic” where great emphasis is placed upon drawing—the idea being that no matter how strong your technical skills are in your chosen media, if you have not rendered a fine initial drawing your piece will look amateurish, unfinished or empty.

This is an arguable point when you look at, say, the works of humorists like James Thurber or Jules Pffeifer whose drawings are less then awe inspiring. However, they have taken their seeming INABILITY to draw and have meshed with their words so that not only is their humor in the words but there is humor in the drawing—the two blend and that is what drawing must do for you it must blend so that only your intended idea is not distracted by a weak hand, much like a choir with the Sopranos, Altos, Bass and Tenors, your drawing are songs and the drawing and the media technique are the harmony produced.

The Masters knew this fact and as Jose Parramon writes “drawing is the mother and the father of all arts”. Drawing has long been entwined in the traditions of techniques such as painting, architecture, sculpture and even in such visual endeavors as film making. As a woodcarver, I create a three dimensional drawing, turn it into a two dimensional pattern, transfer the patter to my block of wood, bandsaw out the the shape and begin, using my gouges to shape the piece. The entire time I am carving, I will be REDRAWING or restating the drawing so that my cutting does not throw me off track.

Drawing is the dawn of the artistic process..

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
We now come to Basic 101 which will emphasize breaking the drawing down into its geometric components, creating a harmony and finally a piece that will sing the artist’s song.

A word of caution: there are many different ways to approach this subject and just as many popular books. There may be personal philosophical issues regarding drawing that do not mesh with what I am writing. I ask that you put aside the philosophies and just take this class for what it is—a mechanics class to help you to better envision your own personal approach.

Source material

The textbook that we will be using is How to Draw What You See by Rudy de Reyna.

In preparing this course I have drawing from other sources such as Bert Dobson’s Keys to Drawing, Gene Frank’s Pencil Drawing (Walter Foster), Pencil Drawing Techniques edited by David Lewis, Barnes and Nobles’ Drawing: A Step by Step Guide, Drawing in Pencil by Jose Parramon.

Hence, if I seem to be veering off with courses that you cannot find in the book, rest assured that I am drawing upon other related sources.

Materials:

1. How to Draw What You See by Rudy de Reyna (This is an optional requirement)

2. A number two office pencil(equivalent to a 2b) or an HB or 2B pencil (the brand does not matter).

3. A sketchpad (the quality of the paper is of not matter at this point, the size should be 8.5 inches by 10 inches or better)

4. A regular eraser. If you have a number two, the eraser on the end of the pencil is fine. I use a Sakura Electric eraser but that is purely a luxury.

5. A kneaded Eraser

6. a blender (q tips, toilet paper, your finger, tortillions or blending stumps)

7. A pencil Sharpener—I use an electric sharpener but that is a matter of preference.

8. A drafting brush—optional but highly recommended.

Your Studio Space:

For the purposes of this course, your studio space is simply where you do your drawing. It can be an elaborate building, a comfy specially build room, the corner of a room (like I have) a kitchen table or an outhouse in Whiz Bang, Kentucky. Draw where you feel comfortable. My personal space is a flat surfaced drawing table with an electrical outlet attached. On top of that I have a portable drafting table that I can remove and put away when I am doing mats or whatever. I have a half sized file cabinet of to one side and on top of that sits my light table. I have a magnifier lamp as as a light source along with an Ott light and, of course three windows which allow natural sunlight to shine through. I have included a photo of where I work. Regardless, do not draw on a flat surface as it can distort your perception of your pr object. Try to work with at least a 45-degree angle.
Drawing on a flat as opposed to angled surface is a poor drawing habit. When working on larger papers (over 10 inches) your line of sight will no longer view the entire surface which can in turn lead to a distorted perspective. Even though this problem is minimal with the size of paper that I am suggesting for this class, it will become a problem if you decide to work on larger surfaces. It is better to break this habit now then have it crop up as a major problem later. If you are not using a drafting table like I like to do and instead are using a drawing board, consider the following tip: place one end of the board so that it rests in your lap and rest the other end against a surface like a table. This allows you the benefit of working on an angled surface and offers the back support that you will need to free up your hands.

Lighting:

As I mentioned before, I use several combinations of light sources: an ott light, natural sunlight, and a magnifier lamp. You do NOT need everyone of these light sources but you should try to find one that best approximates natural sunlight. I use the combination of lights in positions when combined eliminate the shadows projected from my hand. The ott light works well and there are also light bulbs that you can pick up at Wal-Mart that also approximate natural sunlight.

If you are left handed, position the light behind your right shoulder. If you are right handed position the source light behind your left shoulder.

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:28 PM
A Word About Pencils:

It is very easy to be wondering aimlessly through a crafts or art store and suddenly stumble across—the tins! Beware of pretty boxes and lovely packaging. Most of you are going to discover that, sooner or later, you’re only working with a chose few while the other members of those pretty tins sleep away like vampires in a coffin. Whenever you can try to buy “open stock”. These are pencils that you can buy individually and you can build your personal stockpile to suit your own artistic tastes.

Not all pencils are the same.

There are probably as many types of pencils as there are artists. Every one of us has personal preferences that we feel offers the best results. I lean toward mechanical pencils, 0.5mm and 0.3mm but I also like Prismacolor sketching pencils that are graphite. To me, these offer me the best control. Take your pick and look around. When you go to a store ask the storekeepers to let you test pencils to see if you like them. If the stores don’t offer this service look around some more or get your friends at Wet Canvas to post some examples before you make a purchase. I have posted some samples of different pencils for you to see.

[Insert Image Here]

The graphite or “lead” pencil is the pencil that is generally used for drawing. Pencils are categorized by their degree of hardness. B through 9B denote softer pencils while H through 9H denote harder leads. F and HB denote more neutral gradations. The softest lead produces the most intense darker values. You can use a 2b, an F or an HB to lay out your drawing before proceeding but really the choice is entirely yours.

Holding a pencil:

In the following photos, Jennifer demonstrates how a pencil is held for drawing. Not that she also has a drawing board resting against a table as she works on a sketch. Being an ambidextrous family, Jennifer is demonstrating these pencil for the benefit of people who are left as well as right handed.

The first position is called the writing position and is held like you are going to write a letter. This position affords you a great deal of control and is excellent for detail work.

The second position is called the underhand position or the “cupped” position and is good for doing straight lines, sketching and gesture drawing. This is the position that I favor.

NEVER DRAW FROM YOUR WRIST—ALWAYS TRY TO WORK FROM YOUR ELBOW. Not only does working from your wrist promote carpel tunnel syndrome but you create “tight” confined drawings.

Keeping your drawing clean:

When drawing with graphite, use a slipcover to protect your clean surface. Take a clean piece of paper and slip it under your drawing hand on top of the drawing. This will protect the drawing from being unnecessarily smudged. There are many variations on the theme when it comes to protecting your drawings. Here Jennifer is using typing paper as a slip cover as she works on her drawing. In the next photo she is using a drafting brush with the bristled pointed toward her. The brush serves as a bridge upon which the hand rests. This is the method that I prefer because I have my brush handy to brush away erasure marks or any other unwanted particles.

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:29 PM
More images for this section

JayD
10-17-2004, 11:31 PM
CLASS ONE: BASIC STRUCTURE OF OBJECTS—STRAIGHT LINES

Paul Cézanne, in writing to a colleague, wrote that all forms in nature are based upon geometric shapes. “Draw these simple shapes”, he said, “and we will be able to draw or paint what we wish since simple geometric shapes underlie all objects.”

Every object, be it you, a Michelin Tire or a tall standing Sequoia has its foundations in geometric shapes: The cube, the cylinder, the cone, and the sphere. They may not be geometrically perfect and sometimes you have to really look to find them but they are there and if you know what to look for you can build you drawing relying on these basic shapes. Knowing this fact can allow you to build a drawing with depth and dimension.

The first lessons in this class are the really obvious but let us not pass them by.

1. Drawing Straight Lines

Materials: for this class, the only materials that you will need are a number two pencil (you may sub in an HB or a 2B but the standard office pencil will do fine) and a sketchpad of your choosing. DO NOT concern yourself with the quality of the paper. Newsprint is just fine. If you want, you could use a legal pad—whatever work for you. Work within your comfort zone and certainly within your budget.

Put away all of your rulers, protractors, rolling rulers and any other tool that might help you to draw a straight line. If you are sitting on a train or a bus or plane you are not going to be whipping out the old T-Square. Always be prepared NOT to use your standard tools.

It isn’t really THAT hard to draw a straight line. I hear people say all the time “I couldn’t even draw a straight line” –there is usually a nervous laugh and then there is that look of longing because you know that they long to take a pencil in hand and do what you can do—draw a picture. The funny thing is that anyone can draw. It may not be of a sellable quality and it may not be exact but anyone can pick up a pencil and draw. Most people who cannot draw have, generally speaking, convinced themselves that they cannot draw either through their own failed experience or through comments of family and peers. We all know the feeling and we have all been there. When you draw a celebrity and you show it to your mother or a sibling and they say “who’s that?”—Well, you know what I mean.

First, decide how you are going to hold your pencil. There are several ways to hold a pencil. The first is the writing position, the second is the under the palm position. Now, practice drawing using these hand positions. Try drawing a series of squiggles, lines, and circles in order to bring these positions into your comfort zone. When you do these exercises DO NOT DRAW FROM YOUR WRIST. WORK EXCLUSIVELY FROM YOUR ELBOW.

(Insert drawings here)

Everyone operates from an angle. It’s a favorite direction for you to draw. Finding the angle that is comfortable for you easily draws a straight line. Using the wrist will tighten up your control and will produce a shaky line. Using the elbow permits more control of the pencil thus producing a smooth flowing line

(Insert drawings here)

1. Start by drawing a straight line across the paper. Now draw these straight lines over and over except each time, before you draw the line, turn the paper and try to draw a horizontal, vertical and a diagonal line. Do this over and over again until you discover an angle which gives you a comfortable feeling straight line.

Do this using the writing position and then do it again using the underhand or cupped position. See if you can note the difference.

2. Take another sheet of paper and this time, again, start dashing off those straight lines as quickly as you can. This time DO NOT turn the paper

Do this using the writing position and then do it again using the underhand or cupped position. See if you can note the difference.

Again, when you make these lines—don’t worry about being careful—this is an exercise—fire them out as rapidly as you can—try to get them straight but don’t worry if you do not—worry about taxes and death—don’t worry about getting the straight line down the first time. That is what practice is for. Which brings me to another point: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! Make time to do these exercises and you will create improvement in yourself.

Well, this is the end of class 1. I told you this was a basic course but don’t laugh just yet because it will get progressively difficult as we move through the 30 weeks.

Thank you for joining us.

Class Assignment: Read the chapter Eye Level: Foundation of Perspective. If you have already read it great! Take a look at the picture you did for the pre class exercise and see if you can not anything about the perspective of the piece and then locate where you think the vanishing point occurs. If you have questions, contact me.

Jet
10-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks JayD...

Practicing with both hands now !! :D

---------------
A kick for Good Luck...

Kind Regards :wave:

idcrisis55
10-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks JayD. Now I'm off to pack my school lunch box then to the classroom :D

I do have one question about the pre-assignment drawings. Do we post our drawings here for you to see or do we post them at all?

Ann

JayD
10-18-2004, 07:11 AM
yes, please post them so that we can collectively talk about them. :D

idcrisis55
10-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks JayD. Here is my pre-assignment sketch/drawing. The great reference photo used was by dudley_d and from the RIL.

Ann

JayD
10-18-2004, 07:46 AM
You do need to talk about this a bit but the first thing that I noticed was the composition. the top of the head forms a triangle which, by coincidence, is a method of composition used by Frank Frazetta. Obviously, this is your first work up but it looks real good so far. Be prepared because by the third class we will start using these projects to do some of the excercises. Nice job. :clap:

Mary Woodul
10-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Thank you Jay D, this is going to be a lot of fun and a big help. I'm going to print the information out to read carefully and start. :clap: :clap:

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:03 AM
I am glad you are in--let me know if there is anything that you would like to see that we are not covering. I wish I could go into even more detail but the posting of something this large almost drove me insane. :rolleyes: Anyway, enjoy and let me know. :)

idcrisis55
10-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Thank you JayD. This is the third time I've tried to draw this photo. I want to capture the expression in this person's face and the body language. It is a beautiful, evocative photo that calls to be drawn and painted.

The composition came directly from the photo although in this sketch I cropped it. This is the link to the photo: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=21053&sort=1&cat=all&page=11

Ann

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
I think I like your crop better then the photo. :)

idcrisis55
10-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks :), it was cropped solely because of focusing on the face so much and trying to get the body width acceptable to the size of the head.

Ann

mhimeswc
10-18-2004, 08:26 AM
I see we are getting two of the hardest parts in first - straight lines and perspective. I've practiced straight lines many times and still don't get them right. I've read many books about perspective, and understand the concept, I think, until I have to apply it. So I'm all eyes and ears for this part.

Now my turn for the pre-class drawing which does not deal with perspective or straight lines, but another nemesis of mine - people. Here is my sketch of my grandson, Matthew, at about age 1 1/2. I had trouble with the nose, mouth, ears and hair, and I've been told that I've made the shape of the head wrong too. I'm eager to learn how to do this right.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/20035-MatthewDrawsmall.jpg

RuiFromUK
10-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi JayD,

Is it possible if you could please put a BUTT sign on this thread so that I can post a drawing I did on Saturday during a figure drawing class I attended?

I would like to use that drawing as my sketch as my pre-assignment drawing.

Many thanks.

Rui

Cathie Jones
10-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Good morning class. Here's my pre-assignment. I've tried this before, because I wanted to paint it. For some reason I can't get the perspective right at all - so I chose it again for this assignment. Have to go to work now - will BBL to discuss.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/23460-boat_101604.jpg

mhimeswc
10-18-2004, 09:07 AM
I have trouble getting the perspective right on boats too, Cathie. (and houses, and bread boards, and books, :rolleyes: ) I don't think you did too badly, although I can see that it is off some. I hope when this class is done we will both be able to draw a perfect boat.

Michelle

JayD
10-18-2004, 09:31 AM
RuifromUK--when you post look below the reply window and you will see a list of icon--just check the butt and you will be all set to go!

RuiFromUK
10-18-2004, 09:40 AM
RuifromUK--when you post look below the reply window and you will see a list of icon--just check the butt and you will be all set to go!

Hi JayD,

In my eagerness to post my drawing as I'll be leaving in a couple of hours I have actually PM the moderator to put the sign. I am sorry about the confusion.

Here is my attempt for the pre assignment class done on newsprint paper with oil pastels. 35.5 * 25 in

I tried to do it in graphite but the paper was too dark and large for any impact.

C&Cs appreciated.

Kind regards.

Rui

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/46261-DSC00138.JPG

Queen Bee
10-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Here is my pic for the pre-class assignment. I love that you are doing this class. JayD,thanks for doing this class for us, I know it is a lot of hard work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/48307-KitteninBasketDrawing.jpg

TheBlizz35
10-18-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm posting a self portrait I tried to do last year. It would be great to try it again at the end of this class after doing all the lessons.

When drawing this from my picture, I lost my head tilt, and definitely drew the eyes and mouth too big.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/5758-self.jpg

Now I'm off to draw my lines. :)

Zarathustra
10-18-2004, 10:10 AM
No worries Rui. ;) Butt added. :D

imager777
10-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Good morning class. Here's my pre-assignment. I've tried this before, because I wanted to paint it. For some reason I can't get the perspective right at all - so I chose it again for this assignment. Have to go to work now - will BBL to discuss.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/23460-boat_101604.jpg

All parallel lines vanish to the same point, and converge toward the horizon. If the horizon or vanishing point aren't on the page, you just have to guess at it, or plot it out. The other vanishing point can be above or below the horizon too, and the boat will tilt accordingly.

Pay no attention to the facts that my horison line isn't straight, and I missed my vanishing point.

llanpe
10-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jay for what looks a fantastic course. Good idea to start with lines, Usually I do a page of lines before start drawing. I did hundreds of pages and still need more practice :evil:
One more selfportrait, hope will be better by the middle of the course.
Peter

greenhoop
10-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Never done lines so thought street scene would be good to try done this morning.From holiday photo when in Prague.

L2isa2
10-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Jayd,

Thank you for class 1 today:)

My pre-assignment drawing is basic . I started drawing straight lines for the buildings in Italy this was included in WDE challenge , and then when doing the windows! this picture really scares and fascinates me , I want to draw the pic as the photo shows it, but the perspective and angles and details really scare me !

So I have posted my attempt and the original pic ( I hope that is ok bringing a pic from another forum on WC to here ?)

Thanks

Regards
Lisa

JayD
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
I have been weirdly down all morning and I have been very limited with my posting so please excuse my tardiness.

There is a thread called the "weekly drawing thread" which features a chair--it is a classic example of straight lines.

If you have the time, download the image and try doing the chair. This will be good practice for straight lines. Also, make sure you do that boring repetitive staight line exercises. for fun, try both your left and right hand--you will be very surprised at how well you can draw either way but also make ABSOLUTELY sure that you are working from your elbow and not your wrist. That is where many people have trouble with straight lines. It is not a matter of whether or not you can actually draw the line--it is a matter of whether or not you can CONTROL the hand that is doing the drawing--that is the key.

Cathie Jones
10-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Here's a link to the boat reference photo in the RIL. http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=30651&sort=1&cat=all&page=7

Sorry I was in such a rush this morning - I meant to include this with the drawing. I'm at work now, but hope to print out the first instructions and the chair and work on them at lunch.

Michelle, I think that boat should have been easier than the people and animal drawings! I'm not even brave enough to attempt those yet.

JayD
10-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Greenhop, how goes it with the straight lines?--your street seen looks to be very interesting--will be good for the perspective class

Cathie, you would think the boat would be easier. But when perspective is involved and coupled with a natural need to "eyeball" sometimes the simplest things end up being the most difficult to achieve.

When we get down to the next class next week, I have a neat drawing for everyone to do of a little robot gizmo thing. It should be interesting.

Rui, try to stick to graphite for the next few sessions--in this case,which is not a bad figure study--consider using graphite sticks--they will handle the same way as pastels and might give you better control.

Remember that you are going to be living with these drawings for the next 29 lessons so let us know where you think you are weakest with these drawings and where you would like to be at the end of the course.

JayD
10-18-2004, 01:14 PM
I am trying to catch up from this morning.

Lisa2--looking at the picture, I can see why the perspective scares you--it gives me the hee bee gee bees too BUT your picture will fit in nicely with the course. First, you are trying to draw this line by line--first eliminate all of the detail--just mentally erase it from your mind and just draw the boxes--THEN adjust the boxes to the the prespective and then slowly, keeping in mind again the perspective, start adding in your detail. Remember that each box has its own vanishing point and thus its own perspective.

Christie
10-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Well, here is my pre-class assignment. I can seem to get it to scan the way I want. I think it is the blending I did... Anyhow, I do not like the way his face turned out. The eraser slipped while I was making a correction and I just could not get his nose back..:D

The reference photo...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/3523-george_resize.JPG

The Sketch (ugh!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/3523-jpg033.jpg

JayD
10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I think you may have hat issues too. The figure looks good by the way. Try doing some studies of his face with and without the hat... when you do your study sketches draw his whole head first and then add the hat--I have a bear of a time with hats and the only way that I have been able to pull off a hat trick is to think of them as two separate entites.

Also, be aware of mood when doing a drawing like this--try to move away from copying the reference photo and work on atmosphere and mood. Good job.

Feel free to post any studies that you do--I am sure the rest of the class would like to see how you progress. :)

Christie
10-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I lost a great deal of contrast in the scan. One thing that this course is going to teach me is how to get better scans from graphite pieces.:)

Definitely have some hat issues though...

Getting him to sit still for even a quick study is a challenge.:D But I'll try. :wink2:

JayD
10-18-2004, 02:45 PM
take a piece of acetate and lay it on your scanner bed--then lay your drawing over that and then scan. It should help a bit. Regarding the studies--good if you can get him to sit but consider following him around and just do some gesture drawings. Don't worry about accuracy. We have currently posted over at the guest lecture series a lecture on gesture drawing. It looks really good.

Christie
10-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Ah! Acetate! I will try it. Thank you.

I have looked at the gesture drawings lecture. Very informative.

Nacre
10-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Haven't posted in the first thread but would like to join in .
This is my pre-class drawing . It is the second time for trying to draw this .
there is no ref. photo as it is out of my imagination. and I am having a devil of a time with the proportions and oriental features.Also I want it to be an older lady. the scan is a lot lighter than irl http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/28847-3w3.jpg

JayD
10-18-2004, 03:27 PM
The features look fine although a bit stereotyped--I like the work with the lines--It looks very delicate-the ears may be what are throwing off the proportions--check those.--If you are having trouble with the features then you need to look up various oriental faces and study them --no need to copy but to compare what you have created. Also, consider some other factors about her face--decide upon how old she actually is, how hard has her life been, would she have been effected her, is she bent over from harvesting rice, was she raised in a more mannerly way, how is her health? Also, when you think about her age, consider that the hair style that she wears is probably one that she has had since a she was child--is the hair ceremonial or traditional. Look at different hair styles that are available from her era and build from theire. Nice Start!!! :clap:

greenjack
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Pre-class assignment coming right up....

Struggled with this one, couldn't get the lip of the lower cup on the right hand side, couldn't get the handles at all, struggled to get fine crisp highlights where light is reflected off the rim/handles/saucer. Easier to say where I didn’t struggle, I guess.

Still you said to choose something that you have problems with!

Better get off and draw those straight lines from the elbow. See, learning already, no more carpel tunnel for me. :)

Thanks for putting in the time and sharing.

JayD
10-18-2004, 03:51 PM
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix

Jeff, Having just read that on your post, I am afraid to say a word! :D Love your avatar.

Your problem is not the lips of the cup--its elipses. One of my personal arch enemas as well. We will be covering these shortly--Stoy, was going to do a section on elipses but he had to unexpectedly temporarily drop from the project so Gavin will be covering the guest lecture on elipses for him. I think that you will find it enlightening. Overal, you have a beautiful hand (your style, not your paw :D )--I was riveted to the folds--the bottom cup is very well done but the rim seems the be problem in the second cup--I would have left out any detail such as the stains in the cup and the lip print unti the very last moment. This would make a beautiful watercolor by the way. Nice job! :clap:

cmwynn
10-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Oh, where to start with things that give me problems? I want to improve so many types of drawing, but in the long run, doing drawings, paintings and sketches of my new grandchild will probably my priority. My ambition is to be able to draw him well enough that he will not be embarassed when he can understand what I am doing. This is at two months, and he doesn't mind how he looks here at all, though I do. The hardest part is getting the features since they are so soft and vague in the photo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/29839-Grandchild_2_months.jpg

JayD
10-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi, Connie, I'm glad you could join us! You have a very good start. Would you mind posting a reference photo so that we can get a look at him to compare with the drawing? Thanks!

SILKNSATIN
10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Well this will give me something to do while i'm sitting around boohooing without my computer :crying:

JayD
10-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Bonnie!!!! Welcome Back! We missed you!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

TORTIKO
10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone
I would like to join in the Basic 101 course if that is ok as I need help on many things like perspective, figures and drawing from the imagination.
I'm sending in my pre course drawing, which is a picture of a chihuahua that was born here. I sketched it from the computer screen. I will do the lesson tomorrow and send it in.
I'm going to show my ignorance and ask what carpel tunnel is ?
Rita

Judi1957
10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Jay,
Attached is my pre-class assignment and the reference pic. I have yet to do a couple of the exercises prior to page 26 in the book, but I will. As usual, my photog skills need advanced.
And you did say to ignore the mistakes....

Thank-you for doing this all, I'm sure it is a lot on you.
:wave:
Judi

JayD
10-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi, Tortiko and welcome--of course you can join in. What you have done so far looks real good--don't know if you know a lot about Chihuaha's but the Aztec used them as guard dogs for their temples and tombs--I guess the idea was that the Conquistadors would die laughing :D Actually, they can be really fierce for their size. Remember to keep the drawing handy because it is a vital part of this course.

HIII Judi--that is a cute little girl and I think your skills are just fine. You should identify what you think are your weaknesses with this drawing and then we will try to address them as the lesson progresses. That is why you should keep the drawing handy during the course. Also, there will be portraits in the guest lecture area. Great job! :clap:

I want to say that I am absolutely humbled by the talent that has popped up in this class--I think this is going to be fun! :clap:

Judi1957
10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Jay,
I wrote my problem areas on the drawing itself when I was finished (lest I forget, as sometimes the head is like a sieve. lol). I thought the proportions were off, her eyes were too "liney"and maybe a bit incorrectly sized, she did not have the sweetness of the original, she looked older than the original, the hands were not well done (I really struggle with those-glad there is a session on that!) and the biggest problem was I left it go until last nite...hurried. And that is the complaint list. I hadn't even finished the box she was leaning on.
This is going to be a very good class!!!
THANKS AGAIN,
Judi

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
By the way, Judi-I have seen your work over in Colored Pencil--you are awsome. Proportions are always a problem--but I feel that we tend to lose our objectivity as we move through the drawing-which is why walking away for a while is sometimes the best medicine. and speaking of hurrying--you should have seen me down to the wire posting this class last night. :D Believe me, I understand.

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Oh, I went back and looked at your drawing Judy--your little girl is fine except that the girl is the painting in not as compact. Take a look and compare. :)

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Rita, next week we are covering perspective and then the following week basic shapes and then after that we will start putting things together.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition of the hand-pain, sharp or pin prickly that runs from the wrist to the top of the ands. Causes vary but extended typing is a major cause and anything that might cramp up the hands can cause it. I suffer from it in both hands ands sometimes I have to wear a brace--in some cases it can be corrected by surgery.

Hayward
10-18-2004, 08:27 PM
JayD here is my pre-class assignment.
I alread see a few problems.
1. His head is too small
2. His torso is too short
3. the back of the vehicle if out of perspective....

Its a beginning.

Did the lines assignments.....horizonal and diagonial worked better for me as far as getting them straight. Using the underhand offered better control for going across the paper.

Jo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/47044-brett2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/47044-Sample_sketch.jpg

JayD
10-18-2004, 08:50 PM
That is an inspiring picture. I see already that your diagnosis is right on but these are things which will fix themselves in the coming week.

Not everyone can whip off straight lines without turning the paper--there are some who can of course but they are few and far between.

djdedman
10-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Okey Dokey, Are you ready for a real down to earth absolutely beginner?

Do not have flat bed scanner,

First is reference picture , then sketch which using a No.2 pencil came out really light.

Second one attempted to sketch myself using a mirror some time ago. Used a copier so I could post, left dark smudge on face.

I am total mess thinking of posting this with all the lovely work thats already here. :crying:

Jackie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/4868-Sketchreference.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/4868-sketch.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/4868-facialsketch.jpg

mhimeswc
10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, I drew lots of lines today, some straight and some not so straight. I won't bore anyone by actually posting them, but they actually weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

I found that I can do horizontal lines easier than vertical ones. I can do the horizontal ones better with the under-hand grip and the vertical ones better with the writing grip. They still need a LOT of practice.

I also tried the chair that is in the Weekly drawing thread, but I just couldn't get it. I will try it again when we get into the perspective lessons. In fact, I was hoping that someone could do it as a tutorial. I found it to be a difficult angle to figure the perspective from.

Michelle

JayD
10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Actually, I am planning on doing the chair--put it wont post until next week in this class--Remember the de Reyna book if you have it. Try drawing a cube first, then put the chair inside it and then erase everthing that is not a chair. Again, avoide detail until the VERY last--that includes shade and lighting issues--just go for the object.

Don't worry about perspective yet but drawing the cube would be good straight line practice for anyone who wants to go ahead and try it.

Jackie, thank you for posting--boy that was a light scan wasnt it. Never mind though we will get there. have you don the straight line excercises yet. I admire you for jumping in and this is a basics class and is for beginners but more advanced artists understand that we are always beginners and we HAVE to keep coming back to reexamine our skill or, frankly, we will lose them. I think the watercolor people undrstand this best of all because they work in a transparent medium and no matter how many layers of wash you put down you can't hide a poorly excecuted drawing.

So, don't cry Jackie--we are all friends here and we will help each other move this class. You can do this!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regarding the face--we are going to be covering faces later and be on the look out for portrait demos in the guest lecture series as well. :)

Christie
10-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Jackie, we'll learn faces together...:D Can't wait to learn how to do them the right way.:)

WaitingforJesus
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone... :clap:

Well here is my preclass assignment.
I chose something that I just have not been able to succeed at.
This took me forever it seems and I am so lost about the concept of perspective. It seems like a foreign language LOL I may even need a private tutor for that part :p
Here is the ref pic and the scan drawing (I had to really up the contrast so you could even see it)

Thanks
Kay

sultry
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
hello Jay & class :)

This is my first time posting in the WC fora and I do want to attend this class if it is not too late.
Incase I can still join here is my pre class drawing. It was a head study to get a portrait portioned (by eye widths). When it was completed I was told it kindo of resembles me. So I call it self portrait maybe lol. :D

JayD
10-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Kay, there must be a heavenly blueprint out there for methodist churches because I swear there is one right across from my house that is bigger then this one but is the same basic design. By the way, I have been trying to draw that church for years--I may pull it out again--you need to do the line excercises and try to do a lot of them so that you are not intimidated by drawing a straight line--try to find an angle or direction of line that is comfortable for you. You are right about perspective but you know that is everybodies' bug a boo and we are going to tackle it. Think in terms of breaking this down into geometric components--I can't believe I am saying this--try to think INSIDE the box. YOu have a lot of cubes and rectangles going on in there that we want to discover. I love your background. You seem to work more comfortably with the landscape. Also think about identifying the darkest of the darks and then the lightest of the darks--see if you can pick out out many variations of shade there are.

Hi Sultry--that is a lovely portrait. Those eyes are captivating--I would not mess with them. I like the hair--I think in this picture you have to think about your lights and darks and creating contrast in order to make the picture interesting. I want you to take a mirror and hold it up to the picture--see if it shows you anything askew--then share it with us. this is a great start.

kramus
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
How do. I need work on finding out where the holes in what I know as opposed to what I think I know are. Was that all garbley? Anyway, I'm trying Quiet's do something constructive thread and this wonderful thread you folks are putting together is a natural tie in, Thank you all very much.

Now, some things that I know I need to work on are making confident lines, clear expression, proper composition and layout, awareness of tonal quality, getting past "performance anxiety" if that is a thing to work on here, drawing what I see as opposed to what I think I ought to draw... here are my unpleasantly ugly and awkward feet. I don't know feet. However they are very basic and important things so I figure here we go.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2004/49585-feet.jpg

Stkydesrt
10-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Well you asked for it...

This is my pre-class assignment. I think this speaks for itself as to how much I need this class. I just started drawing people at the start of the month. Too many years of roughing in an outline and detailing with acrylic paints has left my drawing skills with much improvement to be made... :eek:

I've got my book and have done the assignment... moving onto perspective...luckily this is at least one area that I understand....

RuiFromUK
10-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Rui, try to stick to graphite for the next few sessions--in this case,which is not a bad figure study--consider using graphite sticks--they will handle the same way as pastels and might give you better control.

Remember that you are going to be living with these drawings for the next 29 lessons so let us know where you think you are weakest with these drawings and where you would like to be at the end of the course.

Hi JayD,

No problem. I'll use white paper next time around and graphite as you have asked us.

My weaknesses are that, due to having not drawn for over 3 decades, I have lost a lot of sense of proportions. In the case of this drawing I have shown, the head is too big for the body and the two hands are not of the same size. Also the model seems to be falling to the right side and perspective is not quite there either.

Also I wouldn't mind to get some more practice on things like shading, composition, etc.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Rui

sultry
10-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Sultry--that is a lovely portrait. Those eyes are captivating--I would not mess with them. I like the hair--I think in this picture you have to think about your lights and darks and creating contrast in order to make the picture interesting. I want you to take a mirror and hold it up to the picture--see if it shows you anything askew--then share it with us. this is a great start.

Thank you Jay for the sweet comments :) I have just recently picked up the drawing pencils again....for years I was not producing a thing :(
But by visiting certain sites and pouring over other artists comments on how they have achieved such beautiful works of art, I felt I could open my mind and educate myself to learn more in this field by allowing constructive critique to help improve my skills. I have always been one too afraid to show my work lol. I think it has alot to do with my father always telling me that I should be doing something constructive and not doodling my life away...but you know after he passed I found out he really liked my art.
anyways, this is getting too long sorry for that...
I am going to say that I noticed my values all blend together as a same tone and do not really bounce out at the viewer and this makes my portrait look flat. Helpppppp :confused: I need to know how to use the kneaded eraser and how to use presure on my crosshatching lines so they give distinctive grey values.
Oh and as for perspective umm... I am horrible at it. :(
last but not least,,,how to blend correctly, I have a tendacy to blend it all to one shade.

djdedman
10-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Today posting drawing of chair.
Jackie

Fireman's kid
10-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi! I am woefully behind. :crying: Thankfully the other people from the wet side are putting in a good show for us. Don't want anyone to think we are slackers. :p

I have read everything here - probably a mistake since I haven't started my pre-class assignment yet and all of yours were so good. I promised myself I wouldn't start it until I was done with the drawing for a commission I am working on. I have to show it to the customer for approval this week. :eek:

But I will do the line drawing assignment this afternoon while I sit at my daughter's dance class. And I'll catch up on the rest as soon as I get the paying stuff out of the way. Seeing all of you starting is making me anxious to get going too!

Now I'm off to see if my library has the book. See ya later!

JayD
10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Rui, take a look at the course curriculum in the Basics FAQ thread and you will see that we will be covering those very subjects. Just sit tight, my friend. We taking this one step at a time. Keep working on those straight lines.. You are going to need them later on.

GUYS, I SENSE RESTLESSNESS IN THE CLASS--PLEASE BE PATIENT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE EXPERIENCED. WE HAVE REAL BEGINNERS IN THIS CLASS AND WE WANT TO MOVE AT A PACE THAT WE CAN ALL FOLLOW TOGETHER. JUST FOCUS ON THE EXCERCISE THIS WEEK AND RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELVES BECAUSE IT WILL START GETTING HARDER NEXT WEEK AND GET PROGRESSIVELY HARDER AS WE GO ALONG SO PLEASE BE PATIENT.

NOW, I HAVE A CLASS ASSIGMENT: PART !Draw some circles--at least 20 of them of difference sizes and then fill them in with staight lines. Create a three dimensional look by varying the distance between the straight lines. Do not using any blending techniques but try to approximate as close as you can a three dimensional sphere.

PART 2--Take your chosen subject and recreate the picture using ONLY straight lines like you did with the spheres. Post the results of BOTH drawings.

I have sketched out a ROUGH idea of where I want you to go with the spheres. Pardon the hurriedness of this--you guys can definitely do better. Take your time and get them both to me at your pace--AGAIN, THE PURPOSE OF THIS IS TO PRACTICE YOUR STRAIGHT LINES.

goldcenturian
10-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi and thanks for doing this class,
I'm behind as usual. Here's my pre-class pic and the chair from the earlier assignment. The practice with the straight lines certainly helped me with the chair. I mostly do close up portraits as you can see. Usually, I practice on celebrity photos from magazines. They can't be insulted when the likeness doesn't turn out right! For example, that's supposed to be Angelina Jolie below! It's just off. I know! I will do the assignments as I can. Everybody's done such a great job so far. Keep up the great work everyone!
Thanks again JayD!
Carolyn

SILKNSATIN
10-19-2004, 11:54 AM
i'M a bit confused at how we are starting out on this first step?
"Basic structure of objefts"first?
eraser
2b pencil
8x10 sketch paper or higher
Qtip,toilet paper,your finger,or blending stumps
pencil sharpener
drafting brush
our own work?or from a photo?or ref picture?is some using grid?rulers?pastels?colors?
What step do we start out with and should it be simple to begin with?then move onto the more harder subject?

JayD
10-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi, Carolyn and welcome to the class, that is a beautiful portrait. See the assignment above and do those--redo this portrait translating it into a line only portrait and also translating your values in terms of line. This will be an enlightening excercise. Again, welcome and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

JayD
10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Well, first bon you need to do the pre assignment--pick something out that you want to draw but has been very hard for you--this is your choice--draw it and don't worry about accuracy and then post it--you will be coming back and re doing this drawing at various stages.

Step 2--read the lesson and do the lines assignment that Jennifer has done.

Step 3---create 20 three dimension spheres using ONLY LINES

Step 4--redo your original drawing this time in LINES only just like you did with the spheres.

Bone, I hope this helps.--Jay

Judi1957
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Oh, I went back and looked at your drawing Judi--your little girl is fine except that the girl is the painting in not as compact. Take a look and compare. :)

Yes Jay, I see the facial differences now. Thanks for pointing it out!
Judi

OzonaLori
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Jay, first let me say that I am really amazed at the work you have done, both to get everything for the class ready, and then all of your sharing and commenting! What an awesome responsibility, and you have definitely risen to the occasion! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I worked on Stoy's weekly drawing assignment, using the "rules" that you asked us to follow. The hardest one for me, was to stick to using just one pencil. I felt really restricted in trying to get all the values I wanted out of just one pencil, when i like to mix things up a lot normally (graphite, charcoal, Conte, etc).

This is rather painful for me, but probably good medicine for my drawing skills. I generally shy away from anything that reveals my lack of expertise as it isn't *fun* to work on the things that we don't like or are hard for us, right??! And this will expose all my flaws- who likes doing that?! I am finding this a humbling experience, going back to the basics. I am not fond of drawing subjects that are extremely linear (especially ones with lots of straight lines), and I run away from perspective issues (run and hide!!!!), so I know that this will help me, but it is hard to post work that I am not a little proud of, and so goes my chair. I absolutely hate it, and here I am posting it as my pre-class assignment, because I know I can do better with it later. The proportions are off and the shadow on the right side of the chair is all wrong, but I was tired with trying to make it right. For those who haven't tried the weekly drawing assignments, here is a link to the current one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223783

I am really enjoying seeing all of the pre-class work postings. Just think- we'll all be even better if we can stick with this class to the end!

Judi1957
10-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Jay,
Question:
Is there going to be a place that you will be posting the assignments by date/description or do we need to go through the thread itself to find?
Thanks,
Judi

Cathie Jones
10-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Okay, Jay . . . let me get this straight . . . I drew the boat . . . I haven't had a chance to do the lines yet .. . and now you want me to draw a chair and 20 circles filled with lines . . . then redraw the *$()#*$ boat with lines only. And this is going to get more time-consuming as the lessons progress???

I may have to retire from one or both of my jobs to have the time for this class! :D

hopefulbucky
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Jay I have been reading this thread with interest. I even tried all last night to do the pre assignment (turned out fodder for the bin), tried another pre, (again fodder) and then tried the chair (more fodder). When I see what others can do it seems like this might not be a beginners class but more 110 rather than 101. Should I truly embarrass myself and put up my junky drawings? Is there any hope for a beginner? without a book?

and that works during the day? this is difficult as the class seems to move quickly but am willing to try if folks are willing to put up with a total amateur.

Thanks and I guess I didn't understand the lines exercise, did look at the photos but am not sure what we are supposed to do.

Thanks Jay for all this hard work, it is a huge amount of work I can see.

Blah
10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Jay, thanks for doing this.

I am very keen on improving my drawing skills, but I haven't found much time to draw during the last few months. Hope to make some time to do it on a regular basis from this week-end onwards.

As a result, and since I don't want to get too far behind the class, I am posting one of my most recent drawings, and not something done specifically for this class. I hope that is allright. If it isn't I'll do a drawing over the coming week-end and post it.

The reference picture is a drawing by Aditya N Chari. I was trying to sketch fast, with bold strokes and to obtain dark tones....all three being areas that I am weak in.

Once again, thanks for taking the trouble, and I am looking forward to participating in the classes.

Blah

Jet
10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Jay I have been reading this thread with interest. I even tried all last night to do the pre assignment (turned out fodder for the bin), tried another pre, (again fodder) and then tried the chair (more fodder). When I see what others can do it seems like this might not be a beginners class but more 110 rather than 101. Should I truly embarrass myself and put up my junky drawings? Is there any hope for a beginner? without a book?

Judy,
the course contents are for the "beginning beginner", but, there are many participants that are not so, in the "beginners" range anymore..Whom, like myself, would like to re-learn some skills that are now missing or underdeveloped...

By your comments, i can tell you are perceiving, that some participants might be pushing this lesson out of context toward a more advanced topic, leaving those members, in the beginning stage, feeling left out, and/or a bit inadequate ...

I would suggest that we, -as more advanced students-, should concentrate only on the topic in turn, and hold our horses a bit, until the time comes for the topic we want to learn about...

It is important to let others catch up so we will advance together at a later date, otherwise there will be many disappointed members, who won't be able to follow the course for lack of enough foundation work...

Just a fair observation... :)

Doing great work everyone.. :wave:
You don't need to compare your works to others, as the purpose is for comparing this work against your future work at the end of the course..**Most important is: to Practice all the exercises in the lesson, until you drop !!.
PS2-Oh, JayD, that's a HUGE amount of work...My humble recognition to your work and talent my dear friend !!... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Fireman's kid
10-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Hopefulbucky said...
this is difficult as the class seems to move quickly

Cathie, you also expressed concern at the time commitment. In the intro thread, Jay repeated said we could go at our own pace. I am taking him at his word. I am going to do the assignments as I have time, so if you want to hang back with me, feel free. I'd love the company! :)

Also, my drawing skills are the pits, which is exactly why I am taking this course. So hopefulbucky, I'll keep you company in the "junky drawings" section if you are game.

Stkydesrt
10-19-2004, 01:09 PM
At the risk of being the "blond" of the class, I have a few questions:

To start with this weeks assignments are:

1. Post our pre-class "intimidating subject" attempt.
2. Practice drawing straight lines from the elbow, not the wrist.
3. Draw 20 different sizes of circles and shade using only straight lines. (can the lines go in different directions or one-way?) post results
4. Read the chapter on perspective lines (if we have the book)
5. Draw the chair from the weekly drawing thread (Is this to be done as a straight line drawing, or just draw it to get a feel for perspective?) post results
6. Find the vanishing point(s), eye level line, perspective lines etc. on our original drawing. (do you want this posted?)
7. Redraw our pre-class drawing using lines (do you want this to be reducing the subject into basic straight-line forms, or do you want curved lines, cross hatching etc... basically redraw with no blending?) post results

Is there anything I have forgotten? Thanks! You are doing an awsome job JayD!! :clap:

OzonaLori
10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Jay I have been reading this thread with interest. I even tried all last night to do the pre assignment (turned out fodder for the bin), tried another pre, (again fodder) and then tried the chair (more fodder). When I see what others can do it seems like this might not be a beginners class but more 110 rather than 101. Should I truly embarrass myself and put up my junky drawings? Is there any hope for a beginner?

Judy, Jet was right on target in explaining what you might have been seeing. There are both beginners and more experienced folks taking this course simultaneously. I hope that the work of those who have been drawing for a while does not make the new participants feel worried that they are not keeping up, or feel frustrated in any way, because work shown here is critiqued in a kind way at every level, and we can all learn so much by sharing our work openly. I am, like Jet, taking this course to go back to basics and work on areas that need improvement in my work.

I think that the beginning or pre-class drawings should be posted at whatever level you are at, and you shouldn't be concerned with how they look right now or if they are "perfect" (whatever that is!!). One of the most exciting things to witness, is the improvement that comes with practice and focus, both in ourselves and in others. So please let us see your work, and don't worry! You are among friends here on this forum, and by posting your work, you will get encouragement and just might encourage other beginners to feel good about posting and joining in, too.

This is a beginning, basics drawing class, so we should hopefully have a lot of beginners taking it!!

JayD
10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
To start with this weeks assignments are:SEE MY COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS

1. Post our pre-class "intimidating subject" attempt. YES

2. Practice drawing straight lines from the elbow, not the wrist. YES, YOUR WRIST WILL THANK YOU LATER AND YOUR TENNIS GAME WILL IMPROVE. :D

3. Draw 20 different sizes of circles and shade using only straight lines. (can the lines go in different directions or one-way?) post results--ANYWAY YOU WANT--HINT: CONSIDER WICKER FOR EXAMPLE--JUST MAKE SURE YOU END UP WITH A 3D SPHERE

4. Read the chapter on perspective lines (if we have the book)--PLEASE BUT THIS IS OPTIONAL

5. Draw the chair from the weekly drawing thread (Is this to be done as a straight line drawing, or just draw it to get a feel for perspective?) post results--CHAIR IS OPTIONAL BUT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

6. Find the vanishing point(s), eye level line, perspective lines etc. on our original drawing. (do you want this posted?)--YOU CAN SAVE THIS UNTIL THE SECOND CLASS IF YOU WISH SINCE IT IS MAINLY PREPARTORY FOR THE CLASS ON EYE LEVEL AND PERSPECTIVE.

7. Redraw our pre-class drawing using lines (do you want this to be reducing the subject into basic straight-line forms, or do you want curved lines, cross hatching etc... basically redraw with no blending?) post results--REDRAW USING THE SAME TECHNIQUES THAT YOU USED ON THE SPHERE--THE SPHERS ARE A PRACTICE RUN FOR THIS FINAL WEEKLY ASSIGNMENT.

JayD
10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Remember folks--no time limits here--just move at your own pace--JET decides punishments for non compliance--I am just the smiling man :D No, seriously, don't get hung up in deadlines. I want you to get a lot out of these classes-don't walk away frustrated.

JayD
10-19-2004, 01:37 PM
hopefullucky--THE FODDER THE BETTER--If you start out perfectly, how can you hope to improve--post what you have and learn to love it. You will be repeated drawing this piece all the while applying what you are learning hear. Your fodder in the bin is perfect so go ahead and post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
10-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Jet, THANK YOU!!!! That is exactly why I just expanded the course assignments.

mhimeswc
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Is this what you have in mind???

Drawing with a #2 pencil on newsprint sucks. I had to darken it considerably just so that you could see it. I changed the direction of the light on each circle for some variety.

Now, do I understand that you want me to do another portrait of Matthew using lines like this for form?

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/20035-circlesandlines.jpg

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Looks like cheese, doesn't it---you may want to move up from newsprint--Remember that what you are trying to do is to create a three dimension representation of the spheres. Remember drawing a ball and shading--use the lines to simulate the shading. close lines togehter wil get you darker while lines further apart are lighter. And yes, reproduce your project drawing as a line drawing. Fun, Huh? :D

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
OH, if the newsprint is not working for you--feel free to change it--above all, we want you to find a comfort zone so you will work better.

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi, Blah, Glad you could join us--The angle of the head is off but as usual you have such a good feel for pencil. Are you doing the circles and the redrawing as lines yet?

Mary Woodul
10-19-2004, 02:26 PM
JayD, so sorry I didn't understand about the pre-assignment, I'll get it in to you. Now I'm really way behind. :crying:

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Judi, good question--Each week the lesson will be on a different thread--otherwise we would all get sucked down a word of wells. The assignments are posted at the end of each lesson but I may throw some additional one's in during the week for those hyper artists who draw at the speed of light.

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi, Lori--I am glad you are involved in the 101 class--in case you folks are interested Lori and Jet are both Guest Lecturers for the Basic Series.

Lori, all of us get comfortable with our toys--God knows I do with my little gadgets and fancy mechanical pencils. I mentioned in the pencil section to avoid by tins but I AM the Tin Man! :D I am doing the chair as well with a number two pencil and hopefully will post it tonight or tomorrow. You're right--its like painting with a kindergarten set of watercolors. :D

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Mary, if you did not understand it then it is my fault--we will all grow together doing this process and eventually and hopefully toward the 30th week we will exceed the growing pains and get it all right.

YOU ARE NOT BEHIND--AS THERE IS NO BEHIND--YOU ARE RIGHT ON SCHEDULE SO JUST KEEP CHUGGING ALONG. :D

Blah
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Are you doing the circles and the redrawing as lines yet?

Thanks Jay.

I should be completing the circles by this time tomorrow, and redrawing the portrait as lines by the next day.

Thanks to Stkydesrt's summary, and your reply, I now have a clear idea of the assignments given so far. Is this the lot for this week, or will you be adding to it on a daily basis? It would help if we knew the workload (the intended volume, not necessarily all the details) for the week so that we could plan ahead.

Blah

JayD
10-19-2004, 02:55 PM
No, this is it for the week--I added the other assignments to avert the boredom factor for the speed demons in our group. :)

hopefulbucky
10-19-2004, 03:11 PM
JayD, I want to thank you for all your work and your kindness in answering both my questions and all of those of all the folks. I am just quickly inserting this as I am at work so really shouldn't be doing this but I will count it as part of my lunch hour. Yes, it is almost lunch time here (west coast, 3 hrs. prior to east coast). I will try and post my efforts from last night tonight which will be quite late your time. I will need to read all your comments re all of our assignments. I did do the chair one and assume you want this posted as well, so will do what I have done and then move on.

Yes stacy we will put up our bin fodder for all to see and no I don't expect to be perfect (far from it) just reasonable so that I can paint what I want and not have to trace. Anyways thanks again jay d this is wonderful for us newbies.

L2isa2
10-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi JayD,

Great fun doing the lines but they have a natural curve in them :(

Is this normal If not how do I correct it ?
Do I apply these lines from the elbow to my pre class assignment now or wait until I get the perspective class ?

Will post pic of lines tomorrow need to get new batteries for the digi !

Thanks for all the hard work you are doing Really appreciate it :)
Regards
Lisa

JayD
10-19-2004, 03:38 PM
You can go ahead and start applying the lines now--just keep moving forward at your own pace. I look forward to seeing your pics and welcome to the class! :clap: :) :wave:

Zarathustra
10-19-2004, 05:23 PM
You're doing a wonderful job Jay, this thread has really sprung to life, can't wait to see how people progress by week 30! :D

OzonaLori
10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi all-
Just thought if you were getting something good from this thread that you might want to rate it for WC recognition purposes for Jay. (I am bad about remembering to do this, and just thought of it!)
Somewhere near the top of the thread screen, you can click on "Rate Thread"
and place your vote! :clap:

Cathie Jones
10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Rated!!!

And my thanks, too, to all those who are working so very hard on this!!! :clap:

Did some lines (can't really call them straight yet) and a few freehand circles on my lunch hour . . .

mhimeswc
10-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Here is my attempt at what I understood - to redraw the pre-class drawing using straight lines to create form. Of course, my lines aren't all straight, and in some places they are going in the wrong direction. I hope this is right. I sort of took you literally. I wondered if you wanted cross-hatching, but I'm guessing there is a lesson on that later, so I just went with the lines. I'm also posting the original photo which I forgot to include the first time.

It looks kinda weird, so I'm sure I didn't get it right.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/20035-MatthewLines.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/20035-matthewRefsmall.jpg

g7i7n7a
10-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm in too, but I just discovered the class today, so I am waaaay behind.

YOU ARE NOT BEHIND--AS THERE IS NO BEHIND--YOU ARE RIGHT ON SCHEDULE SO JUST KEEP CHUGGING ALONG. :D[/QUOTE]

Right......

idcrisis55
10-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Attached are the drawings I've done so far. I done a lot more than what is posted here but these were the best (which isn't saying much). I'm not sure I did the line drawing/cross-hatching right but will keep trying.

Ann

rainboes
10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I am finally ready to jump in. I find myself very comfortable with the lines. Mine seem pretty straight going all directions and holding the pencil different ways. I am not comfortable working from the elbow, that will take practice. And practice I will do!!!

My drawing was a problem, I have many goals so it was hard to decide which one to use as my pre-draw. Someone else put on a rowboat and I can learn from that and there is a cat and people so I was left with the puppy.
I need to say that she is a cocker spaniel, corgi,sheltie mix. The color is cocker, the ears are what you see. They look like someone took a scissors and cut off the bottom half of a cocker's ears. all that said I started drawing and shot the eyes right off, tried for too dark. So, I need help with the eyes and of course the fur. I know I could have done better on the ears but I wanted to get this one posted so I can do my class work.

So we have begun and I am overly anxious to keep going. I need to concentrate as hard as I can with each weeks lessons.

:clap: :clap: thanks again JayD for your generous sharing of your time,
here to learn, Bobbye

cmwynn
10-19-2004, 08:32 PM
This thread has really taken off. Good to see so much participation, even though it meant that I couldn't even get on this afternoon. I am posting the photo for my pre-class assignment. If I had known we were going to re-do it many ways I would have chosen something simpler. I have drawn pages of lines, occasionally straight, trying to use my elbow. Admit that I am jabber of short, light lines in my regular drawing. And putting the paper on a board at 45 degrees does seem like a good idea, but new to me. I will post the chair in the weekly project thread. Now on to circles with lines and maybe the baby in lines.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/29839-Grandchildxm.jpg

OzonaLori
10-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Jay,
Connie had a good point about the choice of our pre-drawing assignment. I also would have chosen something a little simpler, as I might go insane drawing and re-drawing the same thing, when there is a lot to consider in terms of detail.

I didn't realize that we would be repeating this drawing throughout the course. I just thought we'd do it now and, then once more at the end of the course.

If there is something that we are going to re-draw many times, could we choose something else for that? I might try my chair again in the middle of the course again to see how I am doing, but I really don't think I want to draw that particular thing over and over. -- Or let me know if I am assuming something that isn't so. If we won't be drawing it that many times, I can live with it.

Thanks Jay!

hopefulbucky
10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
OK JayD now home from work have scanned these pathetic offerings and the photos that I worked from, also did the chair.

1. My grandson Tommy in the grapevines
2. My horrible attempt, eyes too big, mouth wrong, hands wrong and it scanned very light.
3. Bldgs.
4. Perspective wrong on steps particularly.
5. Chair (well we can all see what is wrong with this chair)

Christie
10-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I was just thinking of selecting a different subject as well. I'll do that and then get on with the rest of the assignments.:)

Here is my question:

Until someone had posted a summary of all that needed to be done, I was unaware of some of the things to do. Is it possible to get everything we need to do (including the extra credit stuff:D) at the start of the thread so we do not have to wade through everyones comments? I get so involved in looking at everything else that I forget to look for further parts of the assignment.:D Please forgive me if this has already been done or suggested. I have been too busy to do anything but a quick scan of this thread in the last few days.

I think that this will get better for me once my copy of the book comes through at the library.:D At least for 6 weeks...:D

So far, I have enjoyed drawing lines a great deal. Funny what you forget...:) Thanks for doing this for us.

GISELADOVE
10-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Jay, thanks for the class.
Here is my first drawing, of course my grandkids
took me hours. The only straight lines - the background.
the photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/15778-Drawing_of_the_kids_1photo_sized.jpg
the sketch
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/15778-Drawing_of_Kids_Sketch_in_pencil_sized.jpg

wow, I can see the proportions are way off :confused:

g7i7n7a
10-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi Jayd,

Would it be possible (easy for you) to highlight with colour the specifc instructions in the upcoming lessons, so if one needed to look back to review ,it would be easier to find. :)
I am searching for the circle instruction and am also wondering about more specifics on what you mean by shading the cirlcle with lines, can we use cross hatching?
thanks again, for all your work. I am surprised at the simple things like "drawing from the elbow" and the angle of the work table make such a difference.
Gina

Hayward
10-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Here are smaples of my circles shaded to look 3 dimensional....(yeah right) some lines are shorter then others -hope this is what you had in mind.

I redid the original sketch using lines for shading, both the line shaded and the original pre-class sketch are in the thumbnails

I also sketched the chair.

Hope this is not too much in one post.
Jo

Judi1957
10-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Evening Jay,
How was day two for you? We all must really keep you hoppin'!

My phone wouldn't stop ringing tonite, but I heard from my son who is in boot camp for the Navy. I hadn't talked to him since Sept 6th. Broke me down, as in happy. Just throwing that in, as it made my day and then some!!!

Therefore... I only got the circles and a chair 'done'. I didn't get to read on the perspectives in the book so I winged it from my memory from class in High School. (a 'couple' of years ago, lol). I also skipped the curvature in the chair legs and back. I was most interested in perspective, and not too sure I got it right. Also just winged the top angle of the chair back, as I need to do that reading. Will redo after I read the chapter.

I'll get the line drawing done tomorrow.

Judi

Ria
10-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Here’s my homework for the first week. I’ve decided to include three pictures. The hands were from the Betty Edward’s lesson and the goat was just something I felt like doing. It's from the RIL. (Thank you Cassie!) It will be the hand that I re-do as we go along.

I’m a beginner and really feel that my biggest obstacles are proportions and perspectives. Well, then there’s ellipses, and the illusion of depth, and……. It sure is a good thing that I’m here! :rolleyes:

I was able to work on my lines for the first assignment. I found that I was able to get my best results by starting on the southwest corner and head towards the northeast corner. Horizontal lines were quite a bit easier than vertical. I guess I’m going to have to spend more time on all of my lines, but especially those verticals. I was surprised to discover that my left arm/hand was not that bad at making lines, too.

I bought a pad of newsprint and noticed that it’s just what I needed. I have a tendency to work really tight, but when trying to fill a page that measures something like 18”X24”, there’s no way that I could fill a page in a day with teeny, tiny lines. The size of this stuff demands that you make huge, long lines with a lot of elbow action. And now, I’m not fussy about using “costly” paper. Heck, this stuff was meant to be recycled; might as well make bold lines all over it!

I wanted to thank you, JayD, for suggesting using the drafting brush as a shield when drawing. I always have my left hand filled with two or three pencils and a couple of erasers. There just wasn’t anyway to comfortable keep a clean piece of paper under my right hand. Now I can keep track of the brush and keep the side of my hand off of the paper. Great idea! Thanks!

Ria

TheBlizz35
10-19-2004, 11:46 PM
JayD,

A couple of dumb questions before I jump in to the circles & lines exercises....

1) Do we freehand the spheres as well, or can we use a guide to do them? I have to say, if your circles were freehand, I'm really impressed (moreso than I already am, having watched you put this whole thing together).

2) I'm really not clear about redrawing my preclass portrait with lines. Does the entire portrait get drawn only with straight lines... if so, I'm lost. I get how straight lines can be used for shadows and shaping but not how to do the whole thing with straight lines.

Could you post an example of one of your other drawings redone with straight lines as you've asked us to do?

Thanks for all your efforts to create this class and for keeping up with everyone's posts.

djdedman
10-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Circle/lines sample Now say that real fast. :D

Jet
10-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Wow, real nice sketches...

Doesn't it happen to you, that, as good as wecan be in some areas, when it comes to doing basic work, it doesn't come as good !!

I usually smudge my line work so it never shows on the final drawing, and now i had a real workout trying to do this right...pant pant..

Zarathustra
10-20-2004, 03:30 AM
Blizz, I'd recommend freehand otherwise I don't think you would get everything from the experience.
I will personally give 1 million pounds to the first person to draw a PERFECT circle freehand (the drawing would have to be scientifically measured too of course) ;) :)

*Deirdre*
10-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Blizz, I'd recommend freehand otherwise I don't think you would get everything from the experience.
I will personally give 1 million pounds to the first person to draw a PERFECT circle freehand (the drawing would have to be scientifically measured too of course) ;) :)
Gavin! I wish you'd said that earlier...just thrown one away! :evil: :wink2: :D Dang! :(

OzonaLori
10-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Jay,
I almost feel guilty for adding to this thread :o :) - it is becoming a monster in size- how are you able to keep up with it?!

I have a suggestion for next week that might possibly make your life simpler. Do you think it is a good idea to have two threads on the class each week?- One for the instructions and the resulting questions that come up, plus any additional lesson work you add on, plus a second thread for the actual work we are doing from the class with the resulting critiques and specific questions/answers about the drawings we are doing? We all might be able to find things easier that we want to go back to, and you could easily target which thread you wanted to answer or look at, since I presume they take different amounts of energy.

Any suggestions you have for us to keep this manageable for you will be well taken. We don't want to burn you out! This is obviously a *huge* undertaking for you, and we appreciate you!

JayD
10-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi, everyone--I'm back--I have a class called "The Purpose Driven Life" which I have to take for 40 weeks (oy). Anyway, first thanks for the rating--I really appreciate your appreciation! :D Secondly--HIIII DEEEE, HI GAVINNNNN! Now, Off to see The Blizzard! Theblizz, I am going to cover yours first:

A couple of dumb questions before I jump in to the circles & lines exercises....

1) Do we freehand the spheres as well, or can we use a guide to do them? I have to say, if your circles were freehand, I'm really impressed (moreso than I already am, having watched you put this whole thing together). --FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS CLASS EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREEHAND--WE WANT TO GET BACK TO BASICS AND LOSE OUR DEPENDENCE ON THE GIZMOS NO MATTER HOW SIMPLE THEY ARE--I WILL BE HOSTING A PURITAN WITCH BURNING AT 12 :D SERIOUSLY, YOU FOLKS ARE EXTREMELY TALENTED AND IT NEVER HURTS TO TRY AND TEST YOUR LIMITS AND THAT IS AN ELEMENT OF THIS CLASS THAT WE WANT TO EXPLORE--SECONDLY, I DONT WANT YOUR STUFF TO BE PICTURE PERFECT--PRACTICE GETTING YOUR CIRCLES RIGHT FREEHAND THAT IS FINE--BUT DON'T STRESS IF THEY ARE NOT PERFECT. AT THIS STAGE JUST FOCUS ON THE EXCERCISES.

2) I'm really not clear about redrawing my preclass portrait with lines. Does the entire portrait get drawn only with straight lines... if so, I'm lost. I get how straight lines can be used for shadows and shaping but not how to do the whole thing with straight lines.--ONLY WITH STRAIGHT LINES--IT IS CALLED HATCHING AS OPPOSED TO CROSS HATCHING--THE EXCERCISE IS NOT SO MUJCH TO CREATE THE PICTURE IT IS TO DRAW THE STRAIGHT LINES AND TO APPLY THEM TO A PICTURE--WHAT YOU ARE ALSO EXPLORING ARE THE DIFFERENT WAYS AND LOOKS THAT YOUR PICTURE CAN ACHIEVE USING ALL OF THESE ELEMENTS.--AN EXCERCISE OF EXPERIMENTATION.

Could you post an example of one of your other drawings redone with straight lines as you've asked us to do?--BE HAPPY TO BUT SINCE YOU GUYS ARE DRAWING FROM SCRATCH, I WILL DO A FRESH ONE TONITE AND POST THEN--I HAVE HAD A YEN FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS TO DO AN ICE SKATER.

Thanks for all your efforts to create this class and for keeping up with everyone's posts.--ACTUALLY, I MISSED COMMENTIGN ON YOU FIRST POST AND I HAVE BEEN TRING TO WORK MY WAY BACKWARDS BUT YOU GUYS ARE PUTTING ME THROUGH MY PACES! :)

Jet--

Doesn't it happen to you, that, as good as wecan be in some areas, when it comes to doing basic work, it doesn't come as good !!--MOST OF US FALL IN TO A COMFORT ZONE AND GET TOO COMFORTABLE AND WE CAN SOMETIMES GET RUSTY WITH JUST BASIC ELEMENTS AS STRAIGHT LINES. IT IS HARD.

I usually smudge my line work so it never shows on the final drawing, and now i had a real workout trying to do this right...pant pant..-- :D :D :D BELIEVE ME I UNDERSTAND.

RIA--I found that I was able to get my best results by starting on the southwest corner and head towards the northeast corner. Horizontal lines were quite a bit easier than vertical. I guess I’m going to have to spend more time on all of my lines, but especially those verticals. I was surprised to discover that my left arm/hand was not that bad at making lines, too.
--I FIND THIS EXCERCISE AMAZING--I HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED THAT PEOPLE ARE INATELY AMBIDEXTROUS--WHY ELSE WOULD YOU HAVE A REDUNDANT SYSTEM(TWO HANDS FOR INSTANCE). MY DAUGHTER AND I ROUTINELY SWITCH BACK AN FORTH--
I bought a pad of newsprint and noticed that it’s just what I needed. I have a tendency to work really tight, but when trying to fill a page that measures something like 18”X24”, there’s no way that I could fill a page in a day with teeny, tiny lines. The size of this stuff demands that you make huge, long lines with a lot of elbow action. And now, I’m not fussy about using “costly” paper. Heck, this stuff was meant to be recycled; might as well make bold lines all over it!--I LOVE NEWSPRINT--ITS THE MEADOW, ITS HOME ON THE RANGE, ITS A PENCILERS RACETRACK--YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH DO WHAT YOU WANT WITHOUT REGARD TO EXPENSE OR CONSEQUENCE. NEWSPRINT IS GREAT FOR PLANNING YOUR DRAWINGS. ALWAYS SAVE YOUR GOOD PAPER FOR THE FINALE! :)
I wanted to thank you, JayD, for suggesting using the drafting brush as a shield when drawing. I always have my left hand filled with two or three pencils and a couple of erasers. There just wasn’t anyway to comfortable keep a clean piece of paper under my right hand. Now I can keep track of the brush and keep the side of my hand off of the paper. --I REALLY THINK EVRYONE SHOULD GET A DRAFTING BRUSH--THEY ARE JUST ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVERS. I STUMBLED ACROSS ITS OTHER USE WHEN IT KEPT GETTING IN MY WAY AND BEGAN USING IT AS A SHIELD. NOW MY BRUSH IS WHERE I NEED IT WHEN I WANT IT. VERY HANDY. :)

JUDI--Therefore... I only got the circles and a chair 'done'. I didn't get to read on the perspectives in the book so I winged it from my memory from class in High School. (a 'couple' of years ago, lol). I also skipped the curvature in the chair legs and back. I was most interested in perspective, and not too sure I got it right. Also just winged the top angle of the chair back, as I need to do that reading. Will redo after I read the chapter. --HEY JUDI, I AM AWFULLY GLAD YOU HEARD FROM YOUR SON ESPECIALLY IN THIS DAY AND AGE. :) AGAIN, NO RUSH--WORK AT YOUR OWN PACE. DONT WORRY ABOUT PERSPECTIVE THIS SESSION-WE'RE COVERING THAT NEXT WEEK. ALSO, ALL OF YOU QUIT FOCUSING ON BEING PERFECT--THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STUMBLE, FALL AND PICK YOURSELF UP--KEEPING THAT IN MIND YOU SHOULD FEEL FREE TO LOOSEN UP AND EXPERIMENT. THAT IS A HARD THING TO DO, I KNOW BUT WITH THIS POOL OF TALENT I JUST KNOW YOU ALL CAN DO IT.

HAYWARD--I redid the original sketch using lines for shading, both the line shaded and the original pre-class sketch are in the thumbnails
I also sketched the chair.
Hope this is not too much in one post.--TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH--NICE WORK!!!

GINA--Would it be possible (easy for you) to highlight with colour the specifc instructions in the upcoming lessons, so if one needed to look back to review ,it would be easier to find. --HOW'S THAT--I THINK I COULD DO THAT FOR YOU. :)

GISELDOVE--Here is my first drawing, of course my grandkids
took me hours. The only straight lines - the background.
the photo--I LOVE KID PICTURES--BE THINKING ABOUT OTHER DIRECTIONS YOU COULD TAKE THIS IN AS WELL.

CHRISTIE--DON'T FEEL YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE PICTURE THAT YOU CHOSE--IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH MID AIR--THAT IS FINE--THIS IS YOUR COURSE SO WORK WITHIN A COMFORT ZONE--SANS GIZMOS :D

HOPEFULBUCKY--1. My grandson Tommy in the grapevines--LOVELY
2. My horrible attempt, eyes too big, mouth wrong, hands wrong and it scanned very light.--DON'T WORRY ABOUT GETTING RIGHT THE FIRST TIME--WE'RE NOT PERFECTIONIST HERE--FACES ARE NEVER EASY
3. Bldgs.--AHHHHH
4. Perspective wrong on steps particularly.--WHEN DOING PERSPECIVE ON STREET SCENES--SKETCH THE DRAWING OUT IN ITS ENTIRETY FIRST--THEN LINE UP YOUR PESPECTIVE LINES AND MAKE YOUR CORRECTIONS. ALSO, KEEP IN MIND THAT WITH PERSPECTIVE--VANISHING POINTS CAN SOMETIMES OCCUR OUTSIDE YOUR PAPER BOUNDARIES.5. Chair (well we can all see what is wrong with this chair)

LASTLY, YOU'RE DOING JUST DANDY!

LORI--Connie had a good point about the choice of our pre-drawing assignment. I also would have chosen something a little simpler, as I might go insane drawing and re-drawing the same thing, when there is a lot to consider in terms of detail.--DONT WORRY YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE DOING 40 DRAWINGS :D AT SOME POINT I WANT YOU ALL TO MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHETHER TO APPLY THE LESSONS TO THE DRAWINGS--THAT IS THE POINT.

I didn't realize that we would be repeating this drawing throughout the course. I just thought we'd do it now and, then once more at the end of the course.--SEE ABOVE--BUT THE POINT IS TO BECOME VERY INTIMATE WITH THE SUBJECT.

If there is something that we are going to re-draw many times, could we choose something else for that? I might try my chair again in the middle of the course again to see how I am doing, but I really don't think I want to draw that particular thing over and over. -- Or let me know if I am assuming something that isn't so. If we won't be drawing it that many times, I can live with it.
FEEL FREE TO SWITCH YOUR SUBJECT IF YOU WANT--BUT MAKE SURE THAT IT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DRAW.

AS AS THREAD MANAGEMENT GOES--I WILL HAVE TO SEE--I AM TRYING A COUPLE OF THINGS AND DON'T WORRY, IF I FEEL BURN OUT--I WILL BRING IN A SUBSTITUTE TO COVER FOR ME. :)

CONNIE-This thread has really taken off. Good to see so much participation, even though it meant that I couldn't even get on this afternoon. I am posting the photo for my pre-class assignment. If I had known we were going to re-do it many ways I would have chosen something simpler. I have drawn pages of lines, occasionally straight, trying to use my elbow. Admit that I am jabber of short, light lines in my regular drawing. And putting the paper on a board at 45 degrees does seem like a good idea, but new to me. I will post the chair in the weekly project thread. Now on to circles with lines and maybe the baby in lines.--CONNIE, I MEANT TO COMMENT ON YOUR WORK EARLIER BUT LET ME SAY THAT I AM VERY PROUD TO HAVE YOU ON THIS THREAD--YOU ARE AN EXAMPLE OF PRACTICE AND DETERMINATION MAKING THE ARTIST. YOUR WORK JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER EVERYTIME THAT I SEE IT. NOW QUIT JABBING AND WORK FROM THE ELBOWS. YOU CAN DO IT. TRY THE BOARD AND LOOK AT HOW JENNIFER IS SITTING WITH THE BOARD PROPPED AGAINST MY TABLE--IT GIVES YOU A LOT OF STABILITY AND FREES UP YOUR ARMS AND HANDS FOR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS. I REALLY LIKE YOUR CHOICE OF SUBJECT--LOOK AT MY COMMENTS TO LORI--YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE TO DO 30 OR 40 VERSIONS OF THIS DRAWING SO RELAX.

BOBBYE--My drawing was a problem, I have many goals so it was hard to decide which one to use as my pre-draw. Someone else put on a rowboat and I can learn from that and there is a cat and people so I was left with the puppy.
I need to say that she is a cocker spaniel, corgi,sheltie mix.--I WOULD HATE TO SEE THE SEX ACT THAT CREATED THAT MIX OF A DOG. The color is cocker, the ears are what you see. They look like someone took a scissors and cut off the bottom half of a cocker's ears. all that said I started drawing and shot the eyes right off, tried for too dark. So, I need help with the eyes and of course the fur. I know I could have done better on the ears but I wanted to get this one posted so I can do my class work.--MY COMMENT FOR YOU IS TO KEEP THINGS SIMPLE--WHEN WE GET TO THE THIRD WEEK, WE WILL BE BREAKING THINGS DOWN IN TO BASIC GEOMETIC SHAPES--ANIMALS ARE PERFECT FOR THIS. I AM AWFULLY GLAD YOU COULD JUMP IN.

anney
10-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Just joining discreetly as the teacher started SHOUTING...

I know I am not late though I haven't done my pre-class assignment, but I have chosen the reference. It's me and my older son visiting me and his newly born brother at the hospital. My older son asked me to draw it, but I don't like portraits... The more I look at the photo the more intimidated I am.. I also have a couple of things to finish before starting something new.

My pre-assignment drawing is basic . I started drawing straight lines for the buildings in Italy this was included in WDE challenge , and then when doing the windows! this picture really scares and fascinates me , I want to draw the pic as the photo shows it, but the perspective and angles and details really scare me !

So I have posted my attempt and the original pic ( I hope that is ok bringing a pic from another forum on WC to here ?)

Hey Lisa, that was my WDE! You were not the only one to be intimidated by the photo (I started something with it, not finished yet). It's perfectly OK to take this photo (unless specifically stated WDE photos can be used any time, and on top of that I have uploaded the photo in the RIL).

OK, I stop talking with my classmates and I go back to work...

Anne

JayD
10-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey Anney--for the purposes of this class--ALL CAPS IS NOT SHOUTING :D

this is how we reply in emails at my company--we cut and paste the person's repsonse and then ALL CAPS the repsonses so that they are not not lost. So, don't worry about discretion--this is not shouting at all. :D ps--I would like to know who made the rules up--all caps used to be perfectly respectable. :)

L2isa2
10-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks Anney:) , I have wanted to get my teeth into this pic the moment I saw it, but the more I tried to draw it the more I see the detail and get intimidated by it !!

Love the family pic they are a handsome pair of boys :)

Regards
lisa

anney
10-20-2004, 08:50 AM
ps--I would like to know who made the rules up--all caps used to be perfectly respectable. :)

JDay, As far as I know, it was an early netiquette rule. WC provides the "quote function", but you could also use colors...

http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

Anne

JayD
10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't think I would have to courage to tackle this picture--there is a danger of making the mother's nose clownish and the kid is doing that "kid thing" that my daughter use to do--sucking in her lips! Low and behold if that kid is not doing the same thing :D Good luck on these and stay away from detail until the very last. I would suggest that you do studies (sketches) of the different things in the drawing before you put the whole thing together.

JayD
10-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Apparently, this is very important to some people so I will adjust the way I post to accomodate--sorry for the inconvenience. :) I don't want this to distract from the class.

anney
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I don't think I would have to courage to tackle this picture--there is a danger of making the mother's nose clownish and the kid is doing that "kid thing" that my daughter use to do--sucking in her lips! Low and behold if that kid is not doing the same thing :D Good luck on these and stay away from detail until the very last. I would suggest that you do studies (sketches) of the different things in the drawing before you put the whole thing together.

Well, the good thing is that I have the models at hand...

BTW The real reference for the Caps thing (Original RFC1855 Netiquette guidelines, 1995)
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Anne

JayD
10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I popped over to your website and I have to say that you have a very good eye and a steady hand especially with the acrylics. Anybody who is reading this should go see Anney's site--it is a real treat.

I was wondering if they were relatives. The reddishiness in the nose by the way is typical of northern European Caucasians--it is very interesting. My wife is Danish and the redness sometimes comes out. Handled correctly and not cartoonishly it is something that will really make your picture. My big thing though is the way that kids like to suck in their lips--I have seen so many photo with these angelic, gorgeous kids--with no lips. Very disturbing.

As a composition I think think it has an endearing quality.

sultry
10-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Jay
My assignment #2 is below but just to let you know I had no idea what you meant till I read where your told us to space the lines out and then I saw the change in the spheres as you can see from my first ones they looked like a big blob of mess. I started to space them in the middle and even used lighter strokes in the middle so I could achieve a lighter grey tone to the sphere.
I did get to where I could see how to make my lines appear dark to light and so I even added a shadow (hope you do not mind)
just wanted to say I rate you high on teaching us...I have learned so much in just the first lesson by using my elbow ; using a slant to my pad; (btw I do not have a drawing board); and most of all your explanations on how to do the line work.
I am very behind so when I can I will be starting the chair next. :) Have a job like most of us here.
Anyways, I will be working at my own pace as you allowed...

JayD
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Sultry, straight lines--three dimensional spheres--these are beautiful.

OOPS--almost used all caps :D --By the way guys--I am listening to you and will try to make these discussions a little clearer--also, look for more color highlighting.

This is the first time a class of this magnatude has occurred on WC so it is sort of a WIP in itself. I just wanted to thank you all again for your participation and for your enduring patience. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zarathustra
10-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I really like these Sultry - they almost look like balls of knitted wool. :)

RuiFromUK
10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi JayD, Zarathustra,

You guys are doing marvelously. Congratulations on the excellent work.

Kind regards.

Rui

JayD
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Rui, thanks for the kind words of encouragement--we always can use a good word or two. Gavin the Modley Guy, along with Jet and ModMurray(artdude) contributed a tremendous amount of their time and advice in helping to to put this together. But I am equally humbled by the support that we are getting from our more advanced participates. Colectively, I think we can all make this a very fruitful experience. :clap:

g7i7n7a
10-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Morning Guys,
Looks like you've got a few suggestions for dealing with wading through the mumbo jumbo, don't colour code just for me, whichever is easiest for you :) .

Another tip that might make things easier for people, I started to keep a word pad open, so I can do a quick copy/paste of the instructions as I'm skimming through, then I can read slower over it or print it off(handy for any thread).

Does anyone know why I have a little red x on Sultry's knitting balls, oops just checked again now I can see them, very cool Sultry, they look so fat and juicy! :clap:
Gina

JayD
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Actually, I like the color coding and will probably use that--the post this morning that started all of this was because I was not at home last night--I had a church meeting and then I had to fix an elderly lady's computer system that was awry with all sorts of goodies that she picked up in the course of her online travels.

Anyway, I am reviewing everyone's good advice and I think you will see a diference in the next lesson.

I still am allowed to respond to each of you, right? :D

cmwynn
10-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, this is the baby drawn with lines. I guessed that we could do the outline as usual, since we could for the spheres (mine are very irregular and definitely need to be re-worked - but then I like rocks, so maybe that is what they are.) I still can't actually define his face, but maybe if I do it enough, it will come through.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/29839-straight_line_babyxm.jpg

Cathie Jones
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Wow Sultry! Love the shadows! Definitely thinking outside the . . . um . . . circle.

(JayD, are we allowed to respond to each other's stuff?)

g7i7n7a
10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I still am allowed to respond to each of you, right?

Absolutely! Just nice to know you weren't yelling at us :wink2:

Is there some way to highlight or blockup (?) other peoples quotes your responding to? I've seen that on other threads.. I'm new at this.. :confused:
Gina

Siladar
10-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Hello everyone... :clap:

Well here is my preclass assignment.
I chose something that I just have not been able to succeed at.
This took me forever it seems and I am so lost about the concept of perspective. It seems like a foreign language LOL I may even need a private tutor for that part :p
Here is the ref pic and the scan drawing (I had to really up the contrast so you could even see it)

Thanks
Kay

If I may say., Your building a little out of wack but those tress look excellent!

I think the problem on you building is the verticle lines are not verticle...the corners should go straight up and down.

Siladar
10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Okay, Jay . . . let me get this straight . . . I drew the boat . . . I haven't had a chance to do the lines yet .. . and now you want me to draw a chair and 20 circles filled with lines . . . then redraw the *$()#*$ boat with lines only. And this is going to get more time-consuming as the lessons progress???

I may have to retire from one or both of my jobs to have the time for this class! :D

Your boat looks pretty good actually. The left side is just too high. Knock that down a bit and I think you'd be fairly close. You could also try the technique talked about in the article at the top of the articles page /w photoshop. I think the error would just pop right out at you there. The right side looks dead on to my untrained eye.

Subway
10-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Still on the pre-class assignment. It's supposed to be Juliette Binoche("Chocolat", "Jet Lag," etc) who has terrific proportions, and someday I hope to be able to render them in a way that does her justice. Well, we all have to start somewhere. It's a quick pencil sketch done during my son's soccer game.

I had some trouble shrinking the sketch from its original size (9x12) to a size that WC accepts, and found that Word seems to have the best tool. I bet that the original comes through looking like a thumbnail, hope to do better next time.

THANK YOU!!!

JayD
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Cathie--DO NOT RESPOND TO EACH OTHERS STUFF OR I WILL STAMP MY FEET!!! :D

ABSOLUTELY!! and that is a shout--please comment on each others work--this is a communal situation where we can all benefit from each others experiences so DO NOT hold back! :)
Connie--I am give you three :evil: :evil: :evil: Three Devils is Jay for hot stuff. You are right on the nose. Nice job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Siladar--did you read my comment about street scenes and perspective--many artist trip over themselves by trying to piece the perspective together when elements of perspective should be viewed as a whole... I will address this in the next lesson with, GOD HELP ME, a demo. :)

JayD
10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Subway, I am so much in love with Juliette Binoche--thank you for posting. I saw your drawing and it is a good start--maybe some work on proportions and the like but the congenial quality of her face is definitely captured. Work the projects at your own pace. We are in no hurry here. :)

Subway
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words. This was my first attempt at posting images, and I don't understand why one came through as an image and the other came through as a link. Was it because of the size, or the file type? Suggestions for future postings welcome.

Cathie Jones
10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you, JayD. (huge sigh of relief http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/23460-smilie_relieved.gif ) Don't want to break any rules here - - we're a pretty chatty bunch in the wet forum!

sultry
10-20-2004, 01:53 PM
ty Jay, Zarathrustra, Gina & Cathie at least I know I am in the right road to discovering how to shade with lines :)
I just popped in real quick to get any pointers on sketching the dreaded chair :(

JayD
10-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Well, chat away, Cathie--it helps me see how the class is going. :)

Subs--the uploader handles certain graphic formats like jpg and gif for examples but the drawin image is a word document which is technically not a pure graphic--it is document with a graphic embedded with in it. Browsers can read images that are set up on the WWW Stand (jpg, gif, png for example) but not .doc or .pdf--instead, it creates a link and relies on Word to help assist in opening it up. No problem really, just Microsoft at its gosh darned shiniest. :D

Blah
10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Did my straight lines....about a thousand of them I think....using both the writing grip and the underhand, and moving my arm from the elbow. As someone posted earlier, I too was more comfortable doing horizontal lines and bottom left to top right (I'm right-handed).

I haven't tried to use my left hand yet...will give that a go later this week

Here are my circles / spheres shaded using straight lines. I could take this further, but did not since I felt that beyond a certain point the lines might start merging and present only a tone.

Blah

JayD
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Blah, these are great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blah
10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Wow! That was a super-fast response. Thanks.

Blah

Jet
10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Is there some way to highlight or blockup (?) other peoples quotes your responding to? I've seen that on other threads.. I'm new at this.. :confused:
Gina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/27782-quotes.jpg

Hope it helps!

Regards

g7i7n7a
10-20-2004, 03:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/27782-quotes.jpg

Hope it helps!

Regards
cool, thanks dude

(see if this works)

djdedman
10-20-2004, 03:29 PM
This is what I reallllllyyyyy would like to learn how to draw, changing from posting the portrait earlier.
Sure everyone will note everything about this little cabin is way off. :confused:
Easy to see where my mistakes are. :D
Jackie

SILKNSATIN
10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
:rolleyes:

JayD
10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I got it guys--let's get back on track :) Thanks, Jet.

JayD
10-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Jackie that is a good choice for this class--definitely do that one.

SILKNSATIN
10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
The little face with the eyes rolled up is i was still thinking with penicl stuck in my ear.
Wonderful drawing djdedman :clap:

JayD
10-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Apparently, that is the "Sarcastic" icon ( if you hold the cursor over it). When I first came here, I said something nice about someone and punctuatied with ol rolly eyes thinking I was making a silly face--well the guy turned and verbally let me have it since he though I was making fun of him. Now I double check the icons--even if I know what they are--Jet do you have a paranoid icon? :)

SILKNSATIN
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I got lost and couldn't find step 1 and 2 teehee.
Step 3.hmmm lines and circle? Is this ok?

SILKNSATIN
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
wow thank for the imfo jayd.I just experienced this with dj who has a very nice cabin drawing.Anyways I thought it was a thinking expression icon. :crying:

Stkydesrt
10-20-2004, 05:05 PM
my circles...

They are kinda all over the place in style. I was trying to experiment and see what results I could get using different methods. This is actually my 3rd set of circles...lol

JayD
10-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Bon, Bon, Bon--are we trying to make a point? They are beautiful. Well done! :clap: :clap:

Stklydesert--sorry for mutilating the name--Experimentation is the idea. Those look very good.

Folks, you're all LOOOOOKIN' Good! :clap: :clap: :clap:

resgene
10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
:wave: Hi everyone,

I have a few sketches that need improving but I can't decide which one to choose for my pre class assignment. I might just draw my hand, yet again... I suppose practice makes perfect - my lines are getting straighter :) .

I have one question - Jay you mentioned hatching as opposed to cross-hatching, does that mean we have to re-draw the pre-class assignment using lines that only go in one direction.

This is fun, congratulations Jay.

Regards,
Michelle.

JayD
10-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I have one question - Jay you mentioned hatching as opposed to cross-hatching, does that mean we have to re-draw the pre-class assignment using lines that only go in one direction.

Thought I'd try out the quote function so people would hopefully realize I am not totally cluess with these gadgets :D

No, you redraw the preassigment utilizing ONLY straight lines--how you go about it is totally your choice. I did the line excercises and got really bored fast and so I concocted the circles and the line drawing assigment to lower the boredom(yawn) factor. The whole idea of the circle and the line drawing assigment is to practice drawing lines. Kind of like taking a coloring book picuture and instead of using crayons the mean teacher is only letting you will in the picture with straight lines. :D

g7i7n7a
10-20-2004, 07:03 PM
OH, HECK :(
I haven't been able to upload my sketches yet, because I am waiting to hear from HP tech, to find out why it won't scan, I haven't been able to scan since I got the thing.
I thought I would try to load the picture I'm sketching, just for fun, and now the other glitch, when popup MIE window opens, it just sits there, blank, not completing it's task.
mind if I vent..
Anyways, I am following the lessons,hope I can fix all this stuff soon.
:( :( :(
gina

Fireman's kid
10-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Okay, my first upload. I haven't finished my pre-class assignment yet. I picked a picture of my daughter and it is going very slow. However, not letting that stop me, I moved right on to the class assignments. I did the lines and circles and will post the circles here.

One thing I learned, which seems pretty obvious now, is to start the whole circle light and slowly build up with more lines to get the dark parts. The first couple I started with short dark lines first and then added the longer lighter lines. That didn't work too well. Once I realized the obvious things started to improve.

Okay, I guess next I will work on the chair and keep plugging on the pre-class assignment. Might pick a new reference for that depending on how it goes (or doesn't go as the case may be).

JayD
10-20-2004, 07:48 PM
You know I used to trade Atari software but a BUNCH of friends of mine who worked at HP back in the eighties. Did you install the software that came with your computer. It sounds like your driver is not installed.

Fireman's kid--these are wonderful--and you can do entire pictures with straight lines which is neat but the purpose was to get you to draw the straight lines. I hope this is helping.

By the way, wish me luck--I'm writing the perspective class tonight--then I get to DRAW It YIPPEEEEEE!!!! :D

g7i7n7a
10-20-2004, 07:59 PM
One thing I learned, which seems pretty obvious now, is to start the whole circle light and slowly build up with more lines to get the dark parts. The first couple I started with short dark lines first and then added the longer lighter lines. That didn't work too well. Once I realized the obvious things started to improve.

I made the exact same discovery, when I was messin with my balls, (hmm) it was exciting. I am having a blast, despite the tech difficulties. I will work them out.
It's surprising what you learn on such a simple excercise. I did a sketch of the chair also, that was a challenge, I am looking forward to doing that again after the perspective lesson.

Stkydesrt
10-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Stklydesert--sorry for mutilating the name--Experimentation is the idea. Those look very good.

lol...Jay, you can just shorten it to Stky (pronounced Sticky). My real name is Lisa, but it's too common and there are always a few of us around, so it gets confusing. Stky is short for an old nick name my husband gave me back in high school :wink2:

You are doing a great job!!! Keep it up! :clap:

JayD
10-20-2004, 08:17 PM
I have some good news--apparently we will be having a guest lecture on perspective so you will get my boring tome and then you can head over to Artgraphica for further experimentation.

Sticky Lisa? I am afraid....very afraid... :D

Gina, you nut :D Yes, these excercises can be very enlightening to say the least--and believe it or not these first few lessons are the most important.

WaitingforJesus
10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Well here is my attempt at shading with straight lines. As you can tell I just tried different ways until one seemed to work.

Thanks, Kay

Judi1957
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Jay,
Posting my pre-class assignment w/ straight lines. Whew, was I glad they didn't all have to go in the same direction. But, that may be an interesting thing to try.
Judi

JayD
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Judy, that looks Marvelous--go ahead and give single direction a shot if you dare. You wil find it interesting. What you folks are doing here is very loosely akin to graphic art. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
10-20-2004, 10:46 PM
hi Jay & class,
I finally finished the dreaded chair (wipes forehead).
I wish I would of seen the cube demo before I started this Jay. I understand how you meant it all falls inside a cube easily after you showed your chairs in the other thread. :)

judi that is so lovely I think your subject is very sweet looking too.
:angel:

JayD
10-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey that is not a bad chair! :clap: :clap: These drawing bring back bad memories for me--I spent a lot time when I was a kid facing that corner. :evil: Yes, the cube does make sense--think INSIDE the box so to speak. I did not want to post that yet because we were getting ahead of ourselves but what they hey--peeks never hurt anyone.

ps--love the outlet--nice touch. :)

Cathie Jones
10-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Lines are done, here are my circles. And this is what I learned today:

1. Circles with lines take much longer than you think they will.
2. I like #7 best, and the lines all go in the same direction.
3. You can't keep a #2 pencil sharp - I want to use a mechanical 0.5mm!
4. I make much better, straighter lines when I slow down and decide where I want the line to start and finish, and work from the elbow, not the wrist.
5. I don't follow directions well - there are 12 circles, not 20. Guess they were too big and I ran out of room.
6. When a football team loses a game they run across the field and congratulate the winners. When a baseball team loses, the sit in the dugout and glare at the celebrating winners. (I know - nothing to do with drawing - but I did about half of these circles while watching the game tonight)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/23460-Circles_102004.jpg

Moving on to the boat redraw . . . :D

Jet
10-21-2004, 01:26 AM
--Jet do you have a paranoid icon? :)

Here are 3 that could be paranoid characters, as well..!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/27782-bcomputer.gif......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2004/27782-sofa.gif.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/27782-eusa_shifty.gif

I'll look for more specific icons...

Regards

Jet
10-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Lines are done, here are my circles. And this is what I learned today:

1. Circles with lines take much longer than you think they will.
3. You can't keep a #2 pencil sharp - I want to use a mechanical 0.5mm!
4. I make much better, straighter lines when I slow down and decide where I want the line to start and finish, and work from the elbow, not the wrist.

Moving on to the boat redraw . . . :D

Hi Cathie !
1.- yes, you're right , think the same ...an exhausting routine ...pheew..
3.- I love using mechanical pencils too; but I found out that by using pencils it was easier to do pencil charcoals and, use "Derwents" Sketching and graphic pencils..
-while using mechanical pencils my "strokes" were shorter, and used a lot of "wrist play" into my drawings..also my drawings were smaller by nature.
- after i changed to pencils and charcoal pencils, it was easier to look for larger "media" as pastels and the like...
++ I still love doing small detail work with "mechs".... ;)
4.- That's the feeling alright !!

a small note: when we say work from the elbow..
We mean: working from our shoulder, that way the elbow stay loose hovering (floating) over the paper.. :cool:

Thanks for writing down your impressions..

Kind Regards

RuiFromUK
10-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Few days ago somebody mentioned that he/she was going to create a condensed version of this JayD, et al course in his/her website without all the intermediate messages and comments.

Is it possible if the link could please be reposted so that I can add to my favourites?

Apologies for not having done so in the first place.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Rui

Jet
10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Rui, Hi!...
You must be talking about the lectures at ArtGraphica (http://artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm)

These are guest lectures, and serve as complement to the course..

Kind Regards

JayD
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Jet, no--Deb Leger will be converting this and other classes into a condensed version which will be available on PDF so that you can print them out and place them in a binder.

She pm'ed me today and I have her my endorsement to do this. We should be hearing more about this in detail sometime today. :)

Jet
10-21-2004, 09:40 AM
OH!, that sounds great !! :clap:

Thanks for the heads up!!

(did you see the icons?)

Regards

anney
10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Jet, no--Deb Leger will be converting this and other classes into a condensed version which will be available on PDF so that you can print them out and place them in a binder.

She pm'ed me today and I have her my endorsement to do this. We should be hearing more about this in detail sometime today. :)
:clap: That's great!

BTW Jay, thanks for the kind comments on my website. Acrylics (except the sunflowers) are from my painting course, so I had some help from my teacher.

Anne

JayD
10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Anney--I have seen students who can do nothing after being instructed--you are being humble--but honestly, your work earns you bragging rights-it is great stuff.

Folks, the lessons in PDF is a reality--Deb will be posting an official announcement later but I have a copy of the lesson on PDF and it looks really good (if I do say so myself :D ). So lets see how she wants to distribute these and then we can sit back and enjoy.

Let me just say this to all of you--you guys are making this a tremendous success because of your willingness to participate--I could not ask for a better group of people to work with. Some of you have been thanking me for this class but, honestly, I need to be thanking all of you for making this work. so here is a :wave: and three :wave: :wave: :wave: --thank you.

Jet, those are really cool icons--you are like the guy in the prison movies who can get anything--YOU ARE RESOURCE GUY! I salute you! :clap:

GISELADOVE
10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
circles, circles, circles.............I know more practice...........
or more eyeshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/15778-23460-smilie_angel.jpg

Here are mine
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/15778-circles_sized.jpg

L2isa2
10-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi Everyone ,

Here is my straight line exercise , I have tried to do just the basic outline of the buildings and then used straight lines to denote where the major shadows are on the buildings from the original photo !

Regards
Lisa

C&C

Mary Woodul
10-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi JayD, well here is my pre-assignment. I have trouble with reflections and transparencies. Actually it was looking pretty good and them I think I worked it too much and it lost the transparency. I went :eek: when Lisa in the post before, posted her straight line assignment. Did the chair cover mine, or is this another one. I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all of the posts so it looks like I'm just feeling my way around here. I promise that today I will sit down and read class 1, VERY WELL. I will also post my circles and lines by tomorrow. Thanks again JayD for all of your work, effort and enthusiasm for us. :D

mickhawkes
10-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Jayd
I'm in a spin, I would love to Join in fully with this, but due to circumstances
at the moment, I may not be able to, Sorry !!!
I am trying to follow whats going on, when it is possible to get on to the site,
but with PC problems, and a tremendos workload, it is very difficult.
I did this to show willing, But I wasn't impressed with my abillity to draw such simple things like circles and lines, so I added a little something to take your attention away from them. :D :D
You are doing a great job here, and I will endevor to watch this space, :clap: :clap:
Mick

hopefulbucky
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Well JayD, finally got the circles with lines albeit only half of them but I am home with a nasty cold so I had some time.

Found out that when you use textured paper it doesn't work very well as it goes over all the bumps.

Here is my offering:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/21041-circles.jpg

JayD
10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey, Guys--I'm back--having trouble with fairfaxidlab.com for the past week--will probably move it to a reduntant server to minimize downtime. It has been rough since we are in a war with one of competitor and we would really like to crush them. So far, with our website constantly going down, we're coming across as bout as fierce as an frostingless cupcake. :D

GISELADOVE circles, circles, circles.............I know more practice...........
You know what they say--practice makes perfect----circles :)

L2isa2 Here is my straight line exercise , I have tried to do just the basic outline of the buildings and then used straight lines to denote where the major shadows are on the buildings from the original photo !

Very nice, Lisa--that will work squarely in with our secton on breaking down objects into geometric shapes--did you have any problems jut thinking lines?

Mary-- well here is my pre-assignment. I have trouble with reflections and transparencies. Actually it was looking pretty good and them I think I worked it too much and it lost the transparency
I dont think you have lost it--transparencies are a combination of reflection and transparencies so you have a compound problem to think thorough--I am impressed how you are breaking down everything into shapes--next you have to indicate color through grades of graytone so this should be real interesting to watch develope

Mick--I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all of the posts so it looks like I'm just feeling my way around here.
Mick the lessons are going to be made available in PDF format so make sure that you get them when they come out. There will be more on this later.

hopefulbucky-- Well JayD, finally got the circles with lines albeit only half of them but I am home with a nasty cold so I had some time.
Found out that when you use textured paper it doesn't work very well as it goes over all the bumps.
Hey I am sorry about your cold. When you use textured paper you are in effect de-sharpening your pencil--the solution to this problem is to, while you are drawing, rotate constantly, the pencil in your hand--this will make the paper act as a pencil sharpener and you will have to sharpen less. When you work with textured paper, it is imperative to keep the pencil sharp.

TheBlizz35
10-21-2004, 04:04 PM
I learned a few things in this circles/lines exercise.

1. I read either too much or too little into instructions and struggle with understanding what is expected.

2. I found that by putting lines really close together near the edges of the circles and really far apart in the middle created this ball of yarn effect. It kind of naturally shaded the spheres (see bottom cirles) versus me trying to shade with cross hatching (see the first four top circles).

3. Drawing the circles themselves using my shoulder had a much looser and in most cases accurate result than when I drew only from my wrist.

4. I need to stop trying to be a perfectionist and just go with things. This was kind of fun once I let go.

g7i7n7a
10-21-2004, 04:15 PM
I am still working on my circles(sometimes tactlessly referred to as balls),
I'm having trouble getting a decent graduation of colour using lines in only one direction, I reeeally want to crosshatch.
and i'm trying to learn...it's not clear in my head..how the shadows should be in relation to the reflected light....on a ball...
gina
ps can't show you yet, tech guy coming on Tuesday to fix computer.

JayD
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Zee--being a staunch Red Sox fan, I can only do one thing: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1. I read either too much or too little into instructions and struggle with understanding what is expected.

2. I found that by putting lines really close together near the edges of the circles and really far apart in the middle created this ball of yarn effect. It kind of naturally shaded the spheres (see bottom cirles) versus me trying to shade with cross hatching (see the first four top circles).

3. Drawing the circles themselves using my shoulder had a much looser and in most cases accurate result than when I drew only from my wrist.

4. I need to stop trying to be a perfectionist and just go with things. This was kind of fun once I let go.

If you are not understanding the instructions, contact me directly--not a problem to help out when I can. Putting lines close together and far apart--neat isnt it. and I loved what you did with the cross hatching--excellent work.--drawing from the elbow is a looser way of working and you actually have MORE control when you draw that way but the trick is to break the old habit and force yourself away from the wrist. Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist--perfect away! :D

JayD
10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Gina-I am still working on my circles(sometimes tactlessly referred to as balls),
I'm having trouble getting a decent graduation of colour using lines in only one direction, I reeeally want to crosshatch.
and i'm trying to learn...it's not clear in my head..how the shadows should be in relation to the reflected light....on a ball...

Gina, if you are having trouble with gradations, just keep practicing and post us something the first chance that you get. Also, remember that your mission on this project is to conquer the straight line--no biggie if you don make the grade--ation. :D If any of you have worked in pen and ink or would like to one day--this is one of the methods used to draw in pen and ink.
email or pm me once you have your system up and I will high tail it on over here and take a gander. :)

L2isa2
10-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi JayD,

Thank you :)

Yes I had aweful trouble thinking in just straight lines !!!
I sooooo wanted to put the detail in ,so to stop myself putting
in the detail, I would go and get a glass of water, so when
I returned I looked straight at the outlines that I had drawn and
continued like this for three hours !!!

Regards
Lisa

Cathie Jones
10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
When you use textured paper you are in effect de-sharpening your pencil--the solution to this problem is to, while you are drawing, rotate constantly, the pencil in your hand--this will make the paper act as a pencil sharpener and you will have to sharpen less. When you work with textured paper, it is imperative to keep the pencil sharp.

I'm so glad you clarified this - it takes so much longer to fill those circles while rotating! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/23460-cartoon_kid_bulging_eyes.gif

Mybubblewall
10-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Well I finally got around to finishing my preclass assignment. I think I spent waaaaay to long on it though :o

I chose this picture because it had several elements that were more difficult for me; non-organic subject matter, perspective, strong light and shadows, and textures. Thank you to mimaL for the image from the RIL.

I've been trying to pay more attention to my values lately, attempting to show the full range of light and shadow in my work. That was my main goal in this piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/9562-Old_Tractorw.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/9562-tractorprelessw.jpg

Things I had difficulty with were the wheels... omg I hated them! Elipses in perspective and with the spokes... ugh. Also I found myself not paying attention to the reference in complicated parts like the spokes, the undercarriage, grass and such. Would just start making stuff up... bad huh? I don't think I got the perspective spot on either but I think I got close

JayD
10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Crystal, that is very nice--it looks like one of those Gene Franks drawing that you find in the Walter Foster books (that is a compliment by the way)..I am so envious of people that run across these old things. They have such character and are a pleasure to draw.

Gavin is going to be covering a section on Elipses in the Guest lecture series and you do need to create contrast with your values in order to give it more "oomph" but just wondering off and adding things off the top of your head--well, think of it like this--the picture is your muse--you just managed to take the drawing beyond the photo and is not only NOT a bad thing--it is an artistic thing. Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

redwood
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Geesh....you don't log into wet canvas for a couple of days and you miss everything!

I'm lost.
everyone talks about a pre-class assignment and i can't find the instructions/directions/assignment anywhere....can someone guide me here please? what was/where is the pre-class assignment?
sorry for being behind and trying to catch up (nice, laur - slowing the whole class down.)

-laurel

thank you for your time JayD.
you're my hero.

Mybubblewall
10-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm lost.
everyone talks about a pre-class assignment and i can't find the instructions/directions/assignment anywhere....can someone guide me here please? what was/where is the pre-class assignment?
sorry for being behind and trying to catch up (nice, laur - slowing the whole class down.)

Here it is:

2. Find a picture of something that you want to draw but have felt intimidated about attempting. Draw the picture and do NOT worry about mistakes and then post it in the first class thread. This will be your reference picture to give us an idea of your level. DO NOT throw this picture away.. Your final project in this class will be to take the same picture and draw it again using ANY of the techniques that you have learned. Please post your first picture. This is important.

From this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326

Judi1957
10-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Crystal,
I love your pre-class assignment pic!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Judi

JayD
10-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Laurel, hello and welcome to the class--I would have responded sooner but my wife commandeered the computer to burn some CD for her work but I see that you already have been helped--these people are good that way. :)

Here is the link to the Basic 101: Preclass assignments and FAQs

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326

Also, do not worry about being behind because you are not--just move at your own pace. This is not a crash course and we are all pretty laid back here.

Also, in conjunction with Deb Leger Publications each of the 30 lessons will be available for you to have a PDF at your request. I expect Deb will fill us in shortly.

Again, Laurel, welcome and I am so glad you could join in on the fun.. On Monday, I will be posting the next class which will cover perspective.

sultry
10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
hi Jay & class,
taking a peek in...ohhhh I agree judi (btw I am judy1957 too) that is breath taking....crystal that is so detailed very good work :)

Jay I know ;; I know ;; I am supposed to be working on my pre class assignment re drawn in lines ( giggles )

back to the drawing board (but you did say we could comment on others)

JayD
10-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Absolutely, a little talking on the side never hurt anyone and it relieves the tension.

SabineD.
10-21-2004, 11:41 PM
JayD and classmates,
I've just finished working on my circles and took a look at some of the posted work. I'm inspired to draw a few more. I'm in the process of drawing the dreaded chair and hope to be done this weekend. Thanks for all the hard work, JayD. :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm learning so much reading other people's comments and doing the assignments.
Just as soon as I have a way to get my work into the computer, I'll upload my work.

SabineD.

mhimeswc
10-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Nice job on your pre-class assignment, Crystal. I think your wheels and spokes came out great.

Michelle

Deb Leger
10-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi JayD

Sorry I didn't get this out sooner but I went to an art exhibition in Montreal put on by the Society of Canadian Artists and just got home. Had to leave directly after work to get there in time.

I have the pdf of the first lesson. I don't know of any way of posting the pdf itself here at Wet Canvas for download, so if anyone would like it, perhaps the best thing to do would be to pm me and I'll email it directly back. It's approx. 2 mgs in size.

Just in case I get swamped with requests, please know that I'll send out as many as I can before I leave for work and then finish later. I work during the day so you won't hear from me then, k?

I like creating the pdf's for lessons, 'cause then I can print them and put them into a binder in protective pages. (The next batch will be a bit fancier - I thought I was just doing this for myself. :D )

Deb

RuiFromUK
10-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Hi Deb,

Many thanks for creating and offering to email the pdf with the first lesson.

I have pm'd you with the request.

Kind regards.

Rui

JayD
10-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Sabine D--I'm learning so much reading other people's comments and doing the assignments.
Just as soon as I have a way to get my work into the computer, I'll upload my work.
Sabine, we will be waiting with great anticipation--I cant wait to see what you have done--don't forget to also post your chair over at the weekly drawing thread. :)

Deb Leger--I have the pdf of the first lesson. I don't know of any way of posting the pdf itself here at Wet Canvas for download, so if anyone would like it, perhaps the best thing to do would be to pm me and I'll email it directly back. It's approx. 2 mgs in size.

I actually anticipate your getting swamped and so have taken the liberty to contact Gavin to see if he would house the pdf as a download over at the guest lecture hall. This would mean you would not have to worry about getting weighed down or exceeding your outgoing mail bandwidth. Either myself or Gavin will contact you later with details. :)

Again, many thanks for doing this--methinks by the time this is all done we will have a small book. :D

Deb Leger
10-22-2004, 07:59 AM
I actually anticipate your getting swamped and so have taken the liberty to contact Gavin to see if he would house the pdf as a download over at the guest lecture hall. This would mean you would not have to worry about getting weighed down or exceeding your outgoing mail bandwidth. Either myself or Gavin will contact you later with details. :)

Again, many thanks for doing this--methinks by the time this is all done we will have a small book. :D

Hi Jay, that would be great if Gavin could house the pdf as a download! (Thanks for thinking about that bandwidth!!!) In the meantime, I'll ship them out to anyone who requests them. Yes, a small book for sure! One that will be packed with awesome information to go back on and review for years to come!

YW. I was doing it for myself then saw the requests for a file and knew you were busy writing more lessons, so I hated to see you take all that time to duplicate what I just did. So, if my doing these pdf's frees you up to write more great lessons, then I'm all for it! :D

Deb

idcrisis55
10-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi Deb, the .pdf looks great. Nice job putting it together and thanks for sending it :)

Ann

L2isa2
10-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi JayD,

PDF

Is this part of the course or..... ?

I ask because I would like to have a look too but I do not want to add to the barrage of pm's going to Deb .

Could you let me know thank you :)

Regards
Lisa

JayD
10-22-2004, 08:58 AM
pdf or portable document file from Adobe is a way of converting a file so that it is cross compatible with multiple systems such as windows or Mac. Consider it a nice perk, compliments of Debbie Leger who is being gracious by doing this for us.

I have been in touch with Gavin at Artgraphica and depending on what he and Debbie decide, you might be able to get it there thus aleving Deb from the potential weekly barrage of pdf requests. Hope this helps.

Hayward
10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Crystal,
I love your pre-class drawing - I really enjoy this type of composition.
I find eclipes very VERY hard to do...I think it got them really close.

As far as not folloing the photo exactly - there come a point swhere you should put the photo aside and make it your own.

Great Work, found it int RIL huh....where ?

Jo

JayD
10-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey, Jo--Gavin is going to be doing a guest lecture on Elipses that you will find interesting. Should be up soon.

Mybubblewall
10-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Great Work, found it int RIL huh....where ?
Ooops!! :o I can be so absent minded sometimes... I was darn sure I got it from the RIL but thinking back, I actually found it somewhere else. I was searching a project called Photo Project: Old And Rusted and found it there. Asked mimaL for permission of course :wink2:

Project: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=426

Image: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=21706

And by the way, thank you everyone for your kind comments on my drawing :cat:

bjcpaints
10-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Since I did sign up for this I figured I'd better check in. Was away for a week but was lucky to find the book used for $5. before I went away and have managed to keep up (well almost). Won't be able to post any drawings till Sunday however. JayD - Thanks again. This is helping so much!
Barbara

JayD
10-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey, Barbara--now remember NO REFUNDS if you dont take the class! :D

You got a really good deal on the de Reyna book--you will find it very helpful indeed. Get your stuff posted when you can--no rush. :)

Leslie_Ann
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
JayD, I've already given merit points to both you and Gavin for getting this project off the ground, and you seem to be flying with it. :)
My question is, how long is this course and the lessons going to last?
And if it's going to be a long term thing, will it be isolated more or less in related threads?
It really has taken on a life of it's own and I see and understand the great pride teachers and students are taking in participating. It's a very inclusive thing for members who can and are taking the time. It's not for those who can't or won't. And if it's mentioned in every thread, it might become what the D&S section is about soon.

Like I said, I have given you both points for the project because it does stand to benefit the community here, so don't take offense. :)

paintsplatter
10-22-2004, 02:53 PM
JD: I've spent the afternoon having a look at all the comments and work that has been done so far. Wow!! Everyone is doing very well here and there are so many different levels. It's great to see the vast differences in skill and abilities, each can learnn from each other in this format!! Beginners....hang in there..keep trying and do your best when you can. Don't compair yourselves to others..keep in mind that you and everyone around you has a special style of their own and no..I mean NO ONE...can copy your style..you are all unique with unique imaginations and bring all kinds of worthy creative ideas to this forum.

In addition, It might make life a lot easier if you could post...as part of your signature the site for Artgraphica..and or any other important sites that people will need for this course. Since you are the constant here, your comments will be on almost every page. Therefore, anyone can assess the sites needed by just looking up a comment. This could be done for temporary measures until this is all over. Just a suggestion..:)

JayD
10-22-2004, 03:14 PM
how long is this course and the lessons going to last?
And if it's going to be a long term thing, will it be isolated more or less in related threads?
It really has taken on a life of it's own and I see and understand the great pride teachers and students are taking in participating. It's a very inclusive thing for members who can and are taking the time. It's not for those who can't or won't. And if it's mentioned in every thread, it might become what the D&S section is about soon.

Like I said, I have given you both points for the project because it does stand to benefit the community here, so don't take offense.

Leslie Ann--I took no offense with these comments. Your perspective is very warming. Here are some answers:

How Long--30 weeks
Inclusiveness--hmmmm. Good point of course. Can't do anything about those who wont BUT for those who can't--you can always do this later--shortly, we will be offering through Deb Leger a pdf of each class plus the lectures wil also be available so you can take them later--your special situation with classes and jobs preclude you from jumping in at this point--but because of your advanced level and your schedule, the lessons are designed as modules so you can pick an choose any that interest you and as long as I am alive and am at WC, you can pm your heart out with questions if you have any of course.

at this point I anticipate each class to be a particular thread. Regarding this thing taking a life of its own--Well remember Hercules wrestling the eight headed snake (hydra)--Well, I AINT Hercules :D which is why I am grateful so many people are making this work.

In addition, It might make life a lot easier if you could post...as part of your signature the site for Artgraphica..and or any other important sites that people will need for this course. Since you are the constant here, your comments will be on almost every page. Therefore, anyone can assess the sites needed by just looking up a comment. This could be done for temporary measures until this is all over. Just a suggestion..

Paintsplatter--The heck with making life easier--that is just plain common sense. :D I will zip over to my profile and pop it in there for future posts.

Everybody be sure to give a big HOWDEEEE :wave: and a big hearted T'ANKS :D to paintsplatter who has graciously volunteered to act as a guest lecturer on several subjects--you will get to see her in action when I post the lesson on perspective next week. I can assure you that once I confuse all of you :D She will be able to straighten out the slinky. :D

TORTIKO
10-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Here is my contribution to this weeks lesson just so that you know I'm still with you.
First the lines.
Sometimes they look straight and sometimes like a spiders web ! Once I realised the elbow had to move from the shoulder it was better. I'm more comfortable with the writing pencil position than the underhand position., I find that awkward.. Guess I still need lots of practice. I found putting the support at an angle a big plus and will always do that now.I haven't had the guts to try with my left hand yet, don't want to put myself off altogether !
Next the circles
Boy am glad a rubber was among the allowed items. I didn't throw any paper in the bin, but I used a whole rubber I think.
The chair
No I used the other half of the rubber on this ! The small chair was freehand from the picture on the computer but I had another attempt by trying to think in terms of a cube because the first one was irritating me a lot. I kept wanting to add another leg in between the front two. Obviously there is something badly wrong with the small chair but I didn't know what.

Lastly I have sent my original picture with lines. Oddly enough I found it harder to draw this second time maybe because I have started to question whether its right or not and how I can improve it.

I would like to say a big thank you to JayD for this terrific thread. It is the first time I have done anything formal in learning any art and I'm really enjoying it.
Until I found WC I've just pottered on on my own. Thanks a lot. Also thanks for the carpel tunnel explanation. It sounds awful, so I will be practicing from the shoulder.

Hope I haven't rambled to much
Rita

g7i7n7a
10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Just popping in to say :wave:

Rita your puppy sketch looks like your off to an excellent start :) !

Deb I would love to get a closer look at your thumbnail paintings, do you have an online gallery? They look gorgeous, luv the colours.
gina

Jet
10-22-2004, 07:46 PM
JayD,
Like I said, I have given you both (merit) points for the project because it does stand to benefit the community here, so don't take offense. :)

:confused: Leslie, you can give me merit points anytime....
....and if i ever take offense, please fasten the straitjacket and send me off to a deserted island... :confused: ... :D

JayD
10-22-2004, 07:55 PM
First the lines.
Sometimes they look straight and sometimes like a spiders web ! Once I realised the elbow had to move from the shoulder it was better. I'm more comfortable with the writing pencil position than the underhand position., I find that awkward..

Rita, Do you see why drawing from the wrist should be reserved for detail work? Working from the elbow leaves you more in control and you lose the tightness that working from the wrist can cause.

Guess I still need lots of practice.
As the noted artist Howard David Johnson would say "practice, practice, practice".

I found putting the support at an angle a big plus and will always do that now.I haven't had the guts to try with my left hand yet, don't want to put myself off altogether !

Give it a shot just for fun--many of you were unwittingly forced into being right handed as children. I know this because I caught a teacher forcing the use of the right hand on my SouthPaw daughter--something rediculous about the devil--and in a public school no less--anyway, it seems that in the US this has gone on for many years. Very strange--so give it a try. I like propping the board against somthing--before that I was always flopping around trying to get into a comfortable position.

I used the other half of the rubber on this ! The small chair was freehand from the picture on the computer but I had another attempt by trying to think in terms of a cube because the first one was irritating me a lot. I kept wanting to add another leg in between the front two. Obviously there is something badly wrong with the small chair but I didn't know what.

Looks like it might be that old demon perspective--the cube itself also has to have the same perspective as the object you want to render. It is hard for artists to think inside the box when we've all been encouraged to think OUTSIDE the box.

Lastly I have sent my original picture with lines. Oddly enough I found it harder to draw this second time maybe because I have started to question whether its right or not and how I can improve it.

It is not right, it is not wrong--this is an excercise in the application of the straight line. Ya dun goode. :D

It was suggest that I plug Artgraphica in my signature line--well, I forgot to put it in there so:

HURRAAAAY HURRRAAAAY HURRRAAAAY!!! STEP RIGHT UP AND SEE THE ARTIST CREATE A PICTURE BEFORRRRRE YOUR VERRY EYEES. YOU WONT BELIEVE IT. COME ONE COME ALL--CHILDREN GET IN FOR HALF PRICE--JUST STEP INTO THE TENT-------------------->http://www.artgraphica.net/

Jet
10-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Dear members,

There has been many questions about several topics in this course (perspective, shading, etc...), all these topics are covered by many authors, scattered all around the web...

Specially made for that purpose, there is a Drawing Faqs thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2769926#post2769926), covering each topic in the course plus advanced topics and cross-referenced information, as well.

You'll find a great link that deals nicely with Values, hatching, etc... (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2833462#post2833462), and makes a great complement with this first chapter ...

Hope it helps you all..

Regards

Judi1957
10-22-2004, 09:05 PM
JayD,
I said I would redo the chair assignment. This time I did the one that I was supposed to. :angel:
My pic is a little off in where the legs and shadows fell. I really found it to be an odd chair. If you look closely at it is seem good. But at first glance, the chair seems to be 'off'. Must be the angle of view. I'm talking about the photo itself....or maybe it's just me. Rough week at work, a little cross-eyed tonite.
AND..I read thru the whole thread last evening and found I had cheated :o on the circle assignment. I had used my circle template to draw the 'balls'. OOOps!

Judi

JayD
10-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Jet, thanks for letting us know. I have check out a few of your links and they are just damntastic. Good job. :clap:

Judi, you know what has to happen now--you used the circle templates so you will be SHUNNED by the rest of the class. :D I think we will survive--you did the assignment and it was not the circles that we are concerned about this week--it is straight lines.

Now regarding the chair--I think you are right--it is a stange chair--I love the design--I think Anney took it herself--and I think I heard her mention that she shot it from a difficult angle which would explain the oddness but is also one of the features that makes the composition interesting. I had trouble getting the angle sized up honestly--especially since I was working in the cube.

bjs0704
10-22-2004, 11:15 PM
JayD - I really appreciate that you have chosen to do this thread. You are doing such a great job! I have had the De Reyna book for a couple of years, but I haven’t ever gotten a “round tuit” so I could do the exercises. This is a really great oportunity!

Every one is doing such a good job! Every thing is really impressive! The effort that everyone has put in really shows!

Here is a drawing that I did a little while ago for the Weekly Drawing Thread from Aug 9-15. The photo was taken by chocHollyK.

I have chosen it because it fairly represents both what I can do and those areas that I need to work on.

I did ok with the textures, but I do see a couple of slight sight measurement problems and I do wish to work on getting a better variety of lights and darks.

Now on to the rest of our assignment!

Barb Solomon:cat:

TORTIKO
10-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi, I am puzzled because Jayd commented on my last mail but the pictures do not seem to have appeared. So I am going to repost them.

JayD
10-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Rita,I saw them just fine--I can see them again as well but you know something weird has been going on with this server, I think. sometimes I get images and sometimes I dont--I get 4 to 6 emails(all the same) from each post and I get forwards from the post days later. Very strange.

Hey, Barb--glad you could make it--I have that kitty stuffed away in my portfolio--that was a very fun project to do and jump right in--De Reyna's book is very easy to follow. :)

Mary Woodul
10-23-2004, 08:38 AM
JayD, I'll try to get my circles and lines in by tomorrow. My husband fell yesterday and fractured his shoulder, so that will keep me a little busier than usual. :eek:

SILKNSATIN
10-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Sorry I haven't been on much.First problem with my harddrive going out on me and now I'm having my bathroom gutted and remodeled.But Ill still be able to at least jump in once a day for a few minutes.Wow JayD this is coming along fantastic.Where do I find the link to Gavins site on The guest lectures that are up??.

JayD
10-23-2004, 08:51 AM
you should find the link to the guest lecture series embedded in my signature section. Let's hope I went and done it right. :)

JayD
10-23-2004, 08:52 AM
all right--need help here--how do I make it an actual link?

SILKNSATIN
10-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Gosh JayD I have no idea :confused:

JayD
10-23-2004, 08:58 AM
YOW!!! I did it--make sure your signature is on "enhanced mode" and you can link to your hearts content. :)

L2isa2
10-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi JayD,

I have no idea do the link but here is the url to the index of
Basic 101 guest lectures :-

http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm

Hope this helps a little

Regards
lisa

mhimeswc
10-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Are there any lectures actually on the artgraphica.com site yet? I keep clicking on week 1 but nothing happens.

Michelle

L2isa2
10-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi Michelle,

Yes there are some guest lectures there now as I have been over and read one two days ago :)

Regards
lisa

JayD
10-23-2004, 09:13 AM
There are some there but we are dependent upon the time that the artists have to complete them and some of the spots are not yet taken. We are in need of some more volunteers. The perspective one should be ready this coming week and more are going to folllow.

JayD
10-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Finally, got the blasted link to work!!! :D

JayD
10-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Mary, I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is ok--I am creeping around right now from a bruised sternum--I thought I was having a heart attack but when the doctor gave the antiinflamatorys I heaved a painful sigh of relief. Please convey my kindest regards to your husband and wishes for a speedy recovery.--Jay

daniellat
10-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh my, she says in a panic. I had best get on with it. Rummaging through the mess of my life (house and all art supplies destroyed in hurricane - don't ask!! :eek: ) trying to find my old drawings when I started Betty Edwards' book. Can't find anything that isn't mush, so will have to start over.

Late, I know, but just spent 2 hours reading all the posts. Excellent job, all. You are all way past my talents (or lack of them!!)

I'll get it done eventually. Jayd and Deb Leger, and all you guest lecturers, you are all saints to do this for us. A true act of love for the art. Many, many thanks.

Daniella :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
10-23-2004, 09:51 AM
I am sorry for your losses with the hurricane(s)--I wont count that as "the dog ate my homework." :D I am amazed and in awe of the resilliance of you Floridians. You went threw a lot of pain and turmoil with those stroms and here you are boucing back and that is something to be proud of.

Actually, I knew this artist who lost his house in a fire--he was 75 years old and love to work in art--particulary drawing. I went to visit him and he was sitting there in his brand new apartment, chewing on a wad of tobacco and just drawing away as fast as you please. I had brought him some groceries and art supplies and he looked at the art supplies and said "like the food and dont need the supplies".. I said "but John, you LOST all your art materials." He said" Well, that's just it, isnt it?--I had a house, the fire took my house, my home and my art supplies--so I took the charcoal." So you see, perserverance is the ticket, it all comes around back at you.

Anyway, take your time--we will be here waiting for you. :)

Cathie Jones
10-23-2004, 10:50 AM
JayD, do we have any word yet on whether the PDF files will be available from a server? I'd like to have them, but Deb must be getting a zillion e-mail requests . . . and it will only get worse as people see how much fun we're having and join up in droves!!! :eek:

Fireman's kid
10-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Ditto what Cathie said! I want the pdf files also but am waiting to see if they are put up on the lecture site.

I am having so much fun doing this class! I've always wanted to draw better, but despite promises to myself, never (until now :D ) made the time to sit down and practice.

I can not thank all of the drawing crew enough - not only for taking on this enormous workload, but also for being kind enough to invite those of us who normally hang out somewhere else. So THANKS! :)

Zarathustra
10-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi Folks.
Alas, I have spoken to Deb about the idea of PDF's, which is an excellent one, but there's two problems I foresee. The first is for poor folks like me who only have a 56k modem - just viewing a page on Wetcanvas can take a few minutes, and the prospect of uploading and downloading between 30 and 60 megabytes of information (which will probably be want it amounts to by the end of week 30) would be daunting. The other problem is such massive amounts of data would send bandwidth limits through the roof and unfortunately although I have quite a good server, it doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

If anybody has any alternative ideas or suggestions it would be great to hear from them. The lectures shouldn't be going anywhere so there's no danger of those simply disappearing. I will look into the prospect of getting some sort of splinter forum on Wetcanvas sorted out, and maybe we can house such projects there.

Gavin.