PDA

View Full Version : CPS paint out- & meet nvcricket

Scottyarthur
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Well I was truely out of my element at the Colorado Pastel Society Paint out,:eek: . Where I had the honor to meet nvcricket (Carolyn):thumbsup: . Several members showed up and it was great fun. Funny thing is Carolyn and I talked a couple of time but had not put 2 and 2 together lol. Around noon I packed up and was heading out to go back home, said my good bye's, and Norbert the east slope president said bye Scott, Carolyn yells Scott, Scott, and came over and tells me she Carolyn (nvcricket), I was hoping we would get the chance to meet but until that moment I though it probably wasn't going to happen because, I had no way to get a hold of her. So I stayed an hour longer and we talked, I had a great time and wish we could had chated longer, but I have family in town from Georiga and had to get back home. Carolyn is a wonderful Lady, & Carolyn it was a pleasure to meet you.:) So I took some photos and here they are.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Norbert,_Susan,__not_sure,_Scott,_Carolyn,__susan_S._1.jpg
Going left to right
Front row is Carolyn and Susan S.
Second row is Norbert, (Shame on me, I forgot her name) and myself
and in the back another Susan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Carolyn_2.jpg
This is Carolyn's Pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Pastels_002.jpg
This is mine, and I am so embarassed to show this, but hey we all have though's one's we never want to show,:eek: I was so out of my element doing a pleine aire and a building, and then I chose the hardest one I could find to boot :eek: left all of my perspective tools at home, oh well. I still had loads of fun. I did take a photo of the house so I will do another one in the comfort of my studio and when I get it done I repost it here.
Here are a couple of the other one's that we're done as well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Dave_1.jpg
This was done by Steve

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Dennis_1.jpg
This was done by Dennis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2009/125922-Kathren.jpg
and this is being done by Kathren

Paula Ford
11-22-2009, 11:20 AM
How wonderful! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! It's so nice meeting other WC members!

Kathryn Wilson
11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
What a happy group! Looks like a fun day and it's always great to meet a fellow WC Pastel Forum member. Hey Carolyn :wave:

Scotty, your building has so much character - plein air is not the easiest thing to do and this is a credible job :thumbsup:

bnoonan
11-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hurrah for connecting with not only fellow artists, but WC plein aire painters as well. All of them are great! Hi Carolyn!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tell me - do you find that working on "colored" boards is distracting? I was advised against even blue tape though it works so well.

Scotty thanks for being generous and sharing the smiles!!!:wave:

Barb

CM Neidhofer
11-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Carolyn and I are meeting on Wednesday for lunch and some afternoon painting!! Can't wait and very excited! Scotty, glad you got to meet Carolyn too!

Colorix
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Scott, looks like you all had a great time! Lovely to see you all.

First plen air? Hey, its nice! And a very complicated building to paint, good job!

Charlie

Donna T
11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
How wonderful to be able to put faces to names! Hi Scotty! Hi Carolyn! It looks like everyone did some really good work; including you Scotty. You have nothing to be embarrassed about and you should be proud of your painting! Plein air is always a challenge and you zoomed in on a very interesting part of the house and painted all of its charm and character. I'm glad you didn't have time to be super accurate - I much prefer charm over accuracy any day!

Punky2
11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
What a great looking group!
It looks like you all were having fun, but how come there's no snow?

Terri

Scottyarthur
11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi paula, it was lots of fun, and great to meet Carolyn
Thanks Kathryn, I wish I felt the same but I really did a botched job of it, always next time :)
Thanks Barb, I don't know about the colored back ground, Carolyn will have to answer that one, but Dennis who used the blue tape is a top notch pastelist and that painting he did was awesome IRL, it sure didn't bother him.
Hi Christine, I'm sure you will have a great time she is a wonderful Lady. Have fun painting, wish I could join you both, but alast I have to work.
Thanks Charlie, it was truely complicated and I did'nt have any of my perspective tools, not even the simplist ones, Carolyn offered me hers but I didn't use it, silly me,
Thanks Donna, yes I do it was a mess, lol. I plan on doing it again in my studio.
Hi Terri oh there was snow some of the roofs had snow and some on the groud to but only in the areas that don't get any or much sun. If you look at the lighter colors on the roof of Carolyn's pastel thats snow

Scottyarthur
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I worked from a photo I took at the paint out Saturday and here it is, still not great but I feel much better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2009/125922-Pastels_004.jpg

IMaybe
11-24-2009, 10:59 PM
:clap: :wave: What fun!!!! Carole is amazing, right? I met her from WC, and she lives just outside of Carson City, Nevada, and drives at least 50 miles one way to come out and see me and paint with me---She has a great attitude and is so much fun to be with. I am so glad for her that she made this trip, when she said she was going to hunt you up, Scotty, I was so surprized----but thats Carole!! Both her and her sister, Patty, are the nicest of people. What fun you must all of had! Your paintings all look pretty darn good, and I know plein-air is hard OH Boy, but so well worth all the trouble and aren't we lucky to be able to do this?? I was out all day today with my Oil painter friend trying to do it in Oils!!! Talk about getting your you know-what kicked!! But his was very nice, its all on my blog. If you see Carole again--tell her Hi!!! and have a safe trip home again.

Scottyarthur
11-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Ida, yes Carolyn is amazing, a wonderful person. How did the pleine aire go with the oils.

nvcricket
11-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi Scotty!

It was so great to meet with you. I was so glad to realize you were who you were! I just wish we could have realized it sooner. What a great spot to paint, in the middle of downtown Denver. The CPS members there that day were all so nice! Scotty, you have really found a great group to belong to, what a great opportunity to increase your skills as a pastel artist.

As I told you when I first saw you painting that beautiful home....I would never have selected it as it was the toughest with all those angles. I just don't have the training to be an architect. What a challenge for both of us to do buildings. It is so hard to not plop it center on the paper. I felt very fortunate to be welcomed as a visitor for this paintout. I hope my brother didn't bother you too much with all his antics....
Oh, he was taking pictures with my camera that wasn't working????? He was actually shooting it in video mode - so no wonder the batteries went out.

Oh you and Christine are so fortunate to live in Colorado. I am so sorry I wasn't able to make it up to visit with Christine. She lives up in the mountains, and it would have been lovely to be able to meet and paint a bit up there with her. Next time.

Barb: interesting that you mentioned the blue board.... while in Denver I was also painting in Washington Park, where I met Doug Dawson and he said exactly the same thing. I really didn't think it made a difference, until he pointed out that I chose the exact color blue to use in my sky....so I will find a new board that is gray (grey?) nuetral color so it won't affect my color choice. GREAT CATCH!!!! Yep....Doug Dawson - I was so thrilled. He was very, very helpful.
While in Denver I also was able to visit the Abend Art Gallery that Bruce Gomez uses for his studio and classroom. He was working on a small painting and I was able to ask him tons of questions, and observed him for well over an hour. What a treat - as he is so devoted to his medium - pastels. http://www.brucegomezart.com.
I was even able to meet Terry Ludwig at his shop! He gave me a tour explaining how he makes his pastels, and I spent ever so long trying to decide which pastels I wanted. What a great guy! Terry, whenever you hang a help wanted sign, let me know, I'll work for you anyday!

So I had a great time in Denver. What a great art community!

Carol

Scottyarthur
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Carol so glad you had a great time here. and you did get to meet with Doug he is a really great person and artist as well. and Terry is such a wonderful person to meet isn't he. The CPS members are a great group of pastelist for sure, I am very happy to be a part of the group for sure. Hope you flight back was a good one talk to you soon. :)