PDA

View Full Version : "Souvenir de vacances" (

Shadia
11-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi!

I just finished this one, from a picture a friend took while on vacation in Maine. In the original picture the water is so incredibly, totally blue! I had to adjust the picture a little bit, and the odd green spots are not so much evident in real life.

I really enjoyed doing this, and it took me a lot less time than usual, I think that having spent all summer painting "en plein air" has improved my painting...

What do you think? C&C always welcome!

Shadia :wave:

"Souvenir de vacances" oil on streched canvas, 11X14.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2009/71744-Maine_final.JPG

climber-man
11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Great lighting all around! The forms of the rocks are excellent. As for the water, the foam and colors are beautiful. Not a thing wrong with it!

Gillette
11-22-2009, 01:23 AM
A lovely painting, well done
Jane.

Michaelmcg
11-22-2009, 03:40 AM
You did a great job on the ocean, Shadia. The camera, especially digital ones, always exaggerates blue. The North Atlantic is never totaly blue, even on the clearest days, usually a muted green-blue as you've done here. The only thing you might have a look at is to push the differences between the foreground, middleground and distant rocks a little more. Think lighter values with distance (less contrast between light and darks) and less chroma in the sunlit areas (more in the foreground - even if it darkens the sunlit areas) - also depending on the atmospheric conditions a little bluing may occur with distance.

Michael

Marty C
11-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Beautifully done, Shadia, this one is really terrific! The colour is very good indeed.

mooz49
11-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Nice one Shadia! .....that water is excellent and the lovely light hitting the rocks really warms the painting......

Shadia
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments!
Marty, I'll try to apply your advise, but will wait for the painting to dry, then I won't ruin it... if I do not like what I'll done, I'll just wipe it off!!

Shadia :)
(I've already send a response, but it seems that it does not show, so I'm sorry if it's posted twice...)

skappy
11-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Nice painting and angle
Robert

baudolino
11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Really nice! Very fresh, great water movement and sunlight is super!!!

Alex

Shadia
11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Robert and Alex for the nice comments! Support and advises from fellow members in WC mean a lot for me! I know how time is precious, and I personnaly do not have time to comment everytime I would want to... so I really appreciate.

bobsart
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
No critique here. Great rendering. Must be Acadia National Park..........bob

zuzubol
11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Shadia - beautiful painting! I like your style1

Len

Greatblu
11-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Shadia. I don't know much about painting ocean waves, but know when something is good, and this is great! I checked some of your previous posts and thy are very consistent...all Great!
I hope your shoulder is healed and you are back in full swing.

Esmeralinda
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Congradulations on a wonderful painting !!!
The light captured on the rocks is amazing !

Shadia
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
No critique here. Great rendering. Must be Acadia National Park..........bob

Thank you Bob! The picture was taken by a co-worker of mine, while in vacation on her family's favorite spot, Ogunquit. They go there each summer. That's why I chose the title "Souvenirs de vacances" . When I showed her the picture of the painting (I will give her the painting, after it will dry) she said: "Oh, I have so many good memories of that place, it's wonderful!"

Shadia

Shadia
11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Shadia - beautiful painting! I like your style1

Len

Thanks Len, really it's the first time anyone talks about "my style" ... :cat: Must be because I'm slowly going towards finding it!

Shadia
11-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Shadia. I don't know much about painting ocean waves, but know when something is good, and this is great! I checked some of your previous posts and thy are very consistent...all Great!
I hope your shoulder is healed and you are back in full swing.

Hi Maxine! Thanks for your good thoughts about my shoulder! I had a hard time after the injection; could not do any plein air since the beginning of September... :crying:
But, it's going to heal, and I already gained a lot of mobility. My physio just recommended another injection, I will see my doctor on wednesday, and see what he will think of it. If everything goes well, I should gain another 25 % before Xmas! If I can ever tie my hair alone again, I will be the happiest girl in the World! (having such contraints show us that so many things we take for granted can be out of reach in a snap...)

Thanks so much for your kind words about my paintings; I sure see the progress since the first posts here! And a lot of the credit goes to the support and advices I got here :)

Shadia
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Congradulations on a wonderful painting !!!
The light captured on the rocks is amazing !

Dear Linda, thank you! I just love your paintings, and I deeply appreciate your comment!