PDA

View Full Version : First try on Ebay

Bringer
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

With the complaints that I've read and doubts about fees, I've never tried to sell on Ebay.
Today I changed that and decided to give it a try.
The listing goes for 7 days and I'll post any news on this thread.
I'll be the lab rat for those who haven't tried it yet:p

Have a nice weekend,

Josť

HUGHES555
11-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Well good luck with ebay. Can you post a link so we can take a look at it? I have been on the edge about trying to sell my artwork on ebay.

art4med
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Good luck--- and make certain you are able to repond quickly and have patience. Your prices will stay lower than they are worth until you gather a following. Prepare to take a hit on this for several months, just my 0.02.

Bringer
11-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi,

Hughes, I'll pm you the link.
I've kept it simply since it's the first time.

Artmed,

I didn't start at 99 cents, but at a near price of what I have on my website, since I don't pretend to sell under that.
I might start lower on a piece that is not on my website though.
For me, Ebay will be another venue (maybe sometimes with a small discount) and not an outlet.

I've also decided to try Ebay because I've been noticing that venues like Etsy and Dawanda (don'y have an account on this one) are being mostly geared toward crafts than fine art.

Have a nice time,

Josť

hillrune
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
the most disheartening thing of all is that nowadays auctions can go for the opening bid - this hurts, especially if you have offered free shipping. it may decrease sales, but always ask what you can live with. I like the buy it now with make an offer option. that way I can set the price I want and hope to come close.

good luck! :)

Greg Long
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi Mary, it's been a while! Welcome back.

hillrune
11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Greg! glad you noticed I have been missing - took some time off.
It's fun again!:wink2:

idahogirl
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks like old home week :D I recently sold two on Ebay. It's been a very long time since I tried them. What I found (mentioned earlier) is that they both sold at opening bid. So, I agree, be careful where you start your price as that may be where it ends up. Hits were much lower then they were a few years ago so the competition resulting in bidding wars wasn't there. Don't know if the "start out low and build a following" works any more. The people who bought mine didn't seem to normally buy art. Their feedback showed a cross section of purchases. Anyway good luck

:clap:

Dee

Nice to see familiar names again

Greg Long
11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Greg! glad you noticed I have been missing - took some time off.
It's fun again!:wink2:

:eek: :eek: How could we not!!?:D

Bringer
11-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi again,

I just got a message that my paint didn't sell.
I started with $90.
Now I'll try a lower approach with some small alla prima works that I do.
I'm thinking about a $20 starting bid.
As usual, if anything happens, I'll keep you posted; unless what happens is an explosion :-)

Have fun,

Josť

P.S. I still didn't check how many views the painting got.

Bringer
11-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,

Just a minor update to inform that the non sold work was seen zero times.
Next time I'll list it under the tags "free" and "sex" :-)

Take care,

Josť

idahogirl
11-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry it didn't sell :crying: Next time out, maybe you could give us a link. We might be able to give you suggestions on search terms etc. It is easy for beautiful work to get lost.

:wave:

Dee

hillrune
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
that it was never viewed is a problem! I remember when I first started selling on eBay friends here helped me with keywords in the title.

try try and try again :clap: be conscious of starting price (if the auction is not a free one). there are points that cost more than others to list. though $20 is between 10-24.99 so you are safe there. example: you wouldn't want to ask 25 instead of 24.99. otherwise listing fees rise considerably.

Bringer
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi,

Just listed three items.
I've seem lots of good works at really low prices that don't get any bids.
The competition is fearless...

Have fun,

Josť

Greg Long
11-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Give us a link Jose, so we can advise on your wording etc. The right words are the key to bids.

AnnGarlough
11-29-2009, 02:10 AM
So glad to find this thread. I have been considering doing some small works to sell on eBay when I catch up on the commissioned work. I hear friends saying the fees have gone so high and the sales so poor I shied away from it. Now I see some of you stepping out and trying this venue, so I'll be watching the comments here with renewed interest.

Thanks for all the info!

hillrune
11-29-2009, 11:00 AM
[quote=AnnGarlough]So glad to find this thread. I have been considering doing some small works to sell on eBay when I catch up on the commissioned work. I hear friends saying the fees have gone so high and the sales so poor I shied away from it.[/quote

You get 5 free auction listings every 30 days and it costs 35 cents to list a buy it now for 30 days. Cheap enough. Of course final value fees are rough and paypal too, but it seems it's where I have sales when I list.

RobinZ
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Jose, there's something wrong because I looked at it, so it got at least 1 view.

I'm doing ebay again after I get past my Christmas commissions too. I did it before and it worked well. I sorta wonder about the Jack White $40K thing but I like the idea of using it as much as a calling card as anything.

Bringer
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I dind't want to post a link, as it might be considered spam.
Moreover if everyone should start posting links to what they're selling on Ebay..
However since I was asked to and this thread may be useful for others wanting to do the same, here's my link:

http://shop.ebay.com/iogurteliquido/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I have to say that I see lots of great quality works on Ebay and my quick conclusion to be successful on Ebay is: be really good, work fast (namely alla prima), relatively small and build a good reputation.
Of course that there will be other approaches, but this one seems to be one of them.
On another aspect, I think that american artists do have advantage since most buyers will be from USA, thus the shipping is much lower, without mentioning that the dollar is now much lower than the euro.

Best regards,

Josť

salmon
11-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi Josť,
Well done on entering into the eBay arena. It takes a while to polish your eBay presentation up. You'll need to try different approaches until you get it right.

For what it's worth, I'd take a look at doing something to your eBay MePage for a start. People like to make a connection with the artist and try and find out something about them. It makes it a more personal experience from a buyers viewpoint and it goes down well.

It's not enough just to have a series of links which take them to your other sites which if you'll forgive me for saying so, are crammed full with so much advertising bling and gadgets, I found them confusing and irritating.

It's my opinion, people looking for art want to do it at a quite relaxed pace and everything you present them with should reflect that.

I am no expert and still make almighty cock-ups, but you'll find that once you have been doing it for a while, the feedback (not the eBay customer feedback) is a very valuable resource to determine what it is that people like about your art and what they don't. You can then tailor your output to suit.

Hope you don't mind me being forthright, but personally I'd prefer to get an honest opinion than just to be told that everything looks great.

Bringer
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi Salmon,

Thanks for your honest critique.
When I've started my website and wanting it to appear on search engines and being useful for people, I opted for link exchange with some directories and built two pages that I thought would be useful for visitors.
I also built a page to trade links with other artists.
I do have a page for each thing, so a person can chose what to see.
As for a matter of ethical issues, I cannot delete the links, which would also hurt my SEO.
I also believe that my resources page is a useful one.
BUT concerning the advertising, yes I may have exagerated, we'll see.
I have to say that I've been thinking about getting a new website where I will post my best works, but for now my funds don't permit me to do that, namely because I'd like to buy a template and have it hosted, but we'll see.
I won't need to worry much about the SEO for the eventual new website because I'll post links to it on my other websites/blogs.

Now for my blog. Well, I have to admit that it does have SOME advertising :-)
But did I tell you that I deposited a Google check of about $100 this November ? :-)

As for Ebay, I'll work on it since I've got an account there for years, but only now tried to sell on it.
Thanks again.

Best regards,

Josť

Greg Long
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Jose, your titles need more thought. eg.Original Oil Painting of a Blue and White Soap would be better as:still life SFA daily painting original Portugeese impressionist art
*SFA= small format art, a well used search term
No one will search for soap in art, blue can be used if that is the main colour as searchers for 'blue' will want a blue painting.

For your second:Trompe l'oeil original oil of a painting knife, you have only used 3 searchable words, no-one will use; Trompe, l'oeil, of, a , or knife in searches, don't use them you could have used still-life, SFA, daily painting, instead, these are all search terms.
Check out the most used search words here (http://pulse.ebay.com/Direct-from-the-Artist_W0QQsacatZ60435)
You are wasting half your titles characters by not choosing words that people will use looking for art like you have listed. Over 90% of art buyers would not even know of Trompe l'oeil never mind search for it! The same goes with 'alla prima' in your third listing.

hillrune
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
All the artsy terms you want to use can be in the description part of the listing, but I think Greg's keywords for your title are perfect - I bet you get hits from them. A good way to check is to do searches yourself and remember buyers don't always know what a technique is called.

Bringer
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Greg and Mary,

As soon as I have the chance I'll edit the titles.
I wanted the title to be descriptive of the subject.
Thanks.

Best regards,

Josť

RobinZ
12-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Jose, your title is your only chance to get ppl casually surfing in. I would also include your name (cause after you get a following, they'll want to see what you're up to!)

samsfleurdelis
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
This year is definitely not as good as last year. Very few of my ACEOs have had multiple bids on them.

Bringer
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I've only managed to add a subtitle.
I guess that to change the title I'd have to close the auction to edit ?
Anyway, now that I got some good feedback form you, next time I'll do better.
Thanks.

Best regards,

Josť

hillrune
12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
To change the title you revise your item. Probably the same thing you did to add the subtitle? anyway you are going to do fine! good luck :wave:

Slinky78
12-02-2009, 09:48 AM
This is fascinating to read since I'm thinking about doing the Ebay thing myself. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with it!

islandboy
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for being the lab rat. I am curious how it goes for you.

Bringer
12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

This article mentions some strategies on how to sell at Amazon and Ebay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/business/smallbusiness/03marketplaces.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Best regards,

Josť

P.S. credit due to @anabafifi2 from Twitter, who found it

RonnieT
12-31-2009, 11:21 PM
This article mentions some strategies on how to sell at Amazon and Ebay.

Thanks for that, I've signed up for and am going to give Bonanzle a try (which was mentioned in that article), hadn't heard of it before, but it looks good (if nothing else). :clap:

Thanks!

TBond
02-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Bringer, you've mentioned you got a cheque from google advertising? How long have you had your blog? How often do you post? Did you get to pick what adds to have there?

I've started from scratch on ebay too some years ago... it was not easy especially since I was sure that folks are going to bid mad on my art, well they didn't and I ended up selling cheap or not selling at all but I'm just a hopeless optimist, so I kept listing and kept selling...

Having the right words in the title is very important even though for non-sellers it might seem like gibberish - this is the only way to get buyers from ebay to find your listing. Unless you already have a massive following from your website or elsewhere and are just directing people to your auctions - these people can "afford" to put the name of their painting in the title:)

Maybe you should start from something small, like ACEOs that you wouldn't mind selling cheap to build up your feedback. From April listing on auction under 9.99 is going to be free so you'll be able to try this out without costing you anything... Also maybe try to purchase something (that you need of course) on ebay - that would give you feedback as a buyer, which is still better than having 0 feedback.

TBond
02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry, it would be $0.25 to list under $9.99 :)