PDA

View Full Version : Git In The Cellar!!!

mickeyw3340
11-20-2009, 02:58 PM
This is a finshed 24 X 36 acrylic that I did for my wife. It is on wrapped canvas hanging in our den. She saw Jerry Yarnell painting his "Distant Thunder? on PBS and wanted something similar. This is my version. It is titled "Ma, git the young'uns and git in the cellar! The foreground grass is thick impasto. It really catches and reflects the light from the blades of grass depending on where you are standing. It has some red flowers scattered around but they are not showing up. C and C most welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2009/57955-DSCF2204.JPG

OkeeKat
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Fabulous sky!!
I think the grasses would be much better if darker in the foreground and lighter as they recede in to the distance. might help the depth of the hill.. just a thought.. maybe darker on the dirt road in the foreground especially along the grasses, darker undergrasses.

mickeyw3340
11-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks OkeeKat. Now that I have put it to bed, I believe that I put too much emphasis on the foreground grass. The sky is the focal point and the foreground should be dumbed down. But, the wife likes it and I learned a lot from the process. She is my harshest critic. If I do anything else to it, it will be as you have mentioned.

Charlie's Mum
11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Aspects of this are so well done Mickey and there's lots of movement and feeling in the sky.
As this is done - and you've learnt lots from it :) - I'd suggest, for future reference that making some of those foreground grasses taller, giving them some detail and increasing the tonal variation as Kathie suggested, would increase the sense of drama a lot.
It's also a good idea to break up those horizontal lines a little instead of letting them move solidly across the canvas.

What's important, of course, is that your wife is happy with it! :lol:

LavenderFrost
11-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Wonderful work on the sky and the distant land!

RPut
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh the sky is wonderful. The lightening is GREAT! I agree about the advice of the foreground to remember in future. I also would have roughed up the road a bit to make it more gravely.
Well done!

biddlebeach
11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Nice!