PDA

View Full Version : has any one tried Richeson / Brenda Mattson Selection Pastel Paper

PETE K
11-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi All, Just got some pastel paper some friends picked up at Jerrys art show this past week end and brought back for me. has any one tried this paper. The Brenda Mattson Selecton Pastel Paper by Jack Richeson. it's 250 gsm, it says its Archival/Acid free but doen't say where it's made. it's a sanded paper. feels nice to touch but just got it and didn't get to try it as of yet. any info on it. thanks.

Kathryn Wilson
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
I bought some too, so I'll be interested in hearing about it.

PETE K
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Kathryn, I opened the package last night and today the paper is bowing. it's not laying flat anymore. the heavy board in back with the plastic wrap must of keep it stright in the package. did yours do the same? I didn't get to paint on one yet but want to try it maybe later tonight i'll give it a try.

Deborah Secor
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I see one person out there in the bolgosphere using it...http://nancypingreehoover.blogspot.com/search?q=Morning+Devotions

Let us know what you think!
Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Pete, mine has buckled too. It does seem to have a very rough texture, much more so than Uart and Wallis.

Lynndidj
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I took a class with Brenda Mattson several years ago at the Product Expo when it first came to Chicago. The paper we used was her paper, made for her by Jack Richeson, but it was definitely NOT sanded. It was a smoother paper because Brenda tends to blend with her fingers quite a bit (forgive me Brenda if I have mislead anyone on this, but that was what I saw in your class) and then does detail over the blended areas. The class was only a couple of hours long and frankly, I never did finish that painting. It is in my "non-finito" pile of work!!

Lynn

Lynn

PETE K
12-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Ok I let this go for some time to try out the paper. this i what i came up with.

the Richeson paper has a form of orangepeal in it. hard to fill it in and is course grains. half way throught the painting my fingers tips were about to blead. in my sky i had to put down around 7 to 8 layers and rub it in just to cover. I used up about 2 sticks on that alone. and the sky was only 1/3 of the painting. i did switch to a cheeper more harder stick being the better sticks weren't covering almost not at all. I ended up with about 4 time the dust on my easle. this paper to me is nothing like Wallis or Colourfix maybe the grain in Colourfix. thats about it. I make my own sanded paper which i like alot better than Richeson out of gesso and fine pumice that i rool it on 140 watercolour paper. i tend to get almost the same orangepeal with a finer grit. i could do about 3 paintings and lose less skin than i did with Richeson. i found that the pastels don't stick very well at all. when you think they are on just tap it and watch mybe half fall off.

For the Richeson product and the price. i could produce a better product with gesso/pumice on watercolur paper for about 75% to 80% less money. and save my fingers. also my pastels last a lot longer.

this is how I feel. How about anyone else would you let everyone know how you feel about the paper.

Potoma
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I've used Richeson board - but not sure if that's what you're refering to. Hated it so much, I cleaned it off and brushed on a prepared surface to cover it. Was a mighty expensive backing board.

As far as bowing, mounted Wallis from Dakota does the same thing. You have to tape down the mounted board, which seems rather redundant.

PETE K
12-11-2009, 11:07 PM
No Bonnie, it's about the weight of colourfix paper it's not backing board. with a sanded finish on it. and as for bowing it actural waved in the bow. i have some Wallis it bows a little at the ends but nothing like this does.

DAK723
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I took a class with Brenda Mattson several years ago at the Product Expo when it first came to Chicago. The paper we used was her paper, made for her by Jack Richeson, but it was definitely NOT sanded. It was a smoother paper because Brenda tends to blend with her fingers quite a bit (forgive me Brenda if I have mislead anyone on this, but that was what I saw in your class) and then does detail over the blended areas.

Lynn
According to Madison Art's web site, the OLD Brenda Mattson Pastel Paper has been discontinued. It was indeed a non-sanded surface and came in blocks, like watercolor paper. A picture of the old discontinued version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2009/82335-SC100550-55.jpg

Don

Lynndidj
12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Yes Don - that looks like the paper. As I recall, it was something like the Pastelmat paper. Going to have to go through my pile of "non-finito" work and find that painting and compare it to the Pastelmat. I didn't think I would like working on it, but it turned out to be quite nice. I wonder why it was discontinued - maybe it didn't sell.

Lynn

Deborah Secor
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
I have the old Brenda Mattson surface and to me it doesn't begin to compare to Pastelmat! It's basically just a soft paper, not coated or made to hold pastels. I didn't like the block idea at all. Trying to cope with painting on the block, which was thick, was just a lot of hassle for no reason I could think of. And trying to cut a finished pastel painting off the block was an exercise in total frustration, risking smearing a nice piece as one tried to run a razor blade around the whole perimeter--and again, for what reason? I agree, the surface was a nice soft one, but it just never seemed to be all that special to me, unlike Pastelmat which has become one of my all-time favorite surfaces. Just MHO, of course! :D

To clarify, however, is the surface you're reviewing here, Pete, something different from the Richeson Unison Premium Pastel Paper (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Paper/Pastel-Paper-and-Boards/Richeson-Unison-Pastel-Surfaces.htm)that comes on three different surfaces--paper, foam board and hardboard?

Nancy Hoover, a colored pencil artist, mentions this on her blog, linked above:
I'm using a new sanded pastel paper named after Brenda Mattson and made by Richeson. They have four colors, which are much like Colourfix colors, but the paper is much rougher.
I assume you and Kat were some of the few to get your hands on it, since I can't find it available anywhere online...

Deborah

PETE K
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM
To clarify, however, is the surface you're reviewing here, Pete, something different from the Richeson Unison Premium Pastel Paper (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Paper/Pastel-Paper-and-Boards/Richeson-Unison-Pastel-Surfaces.htm)that comes on three different surfaces--paper, foam board and hardboard?

Nancy Hoover, a colored pencil artist, mentions this on her blog, linked above:

I assume you and Kat were some of the few to get your hands on it, since I can't find it available anywhere online...

Hi Deborah, Your assumetion is right. I guess Kat and myself may have been the only ones to get this paper. It's new sanded and going under the name of Brenda Mattson select by Richeson in 4 colours 12 sheets per package. ( light blue/light tan/white/red) I haven't seen it on line anywhere myself. It just may that new he was just selling at that show so far.

Kat, have you tried yours out yet. I would like to know what you think of it? being it seems we are the only ones that have it.

Kathryn Wilson
12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
No, I haven't Pete - I've just got one sheet of it taped to a board, ready to go, but other projects have kept me from starting on this one.

Deborah, it is the Richeson premium paper - I just checked it out on their website and you can see them in the 10-pack sheet set. I bought the white. Brenda Mattson was at the trade show and they were marketing as her paper.

Kathryn Wilson
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Pete, I finally got a chance to work on the Mattson/Richeson paper - and I hate to say this, but FOR ME, I dislike this paper. I say that with hesitation because I am sure that other people like working on this paper and I don't want someone else to not try it.

I found it grainy, it pulls at the pastel instead of it gliding across the paper - now what do I do with a whole bunch of it? If anyone is interested in trying this paper out, PM me.

I also found that it was buckled in the package, but it did take acrylic inks okay with it taped to a board.

saramathewson
02-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I have read that Maggie Price loves this paper. I have three boards that were on sale awhile back at dakota. I used one but will have to go back over it aqnd either wadh it off and start over or over haul the piece. To be honest Ii'm not sure where I put it either when we last moved. I have the wo boards that are left and they are quite coarse as was the one I used. I was not a fan of it. It really ate up my pastels like Pete said and I used up quite a bit on the sky. Which may be why I am almost out of my lightest sky color:(
i am moving soon though and my house is close to an art store that has schminkes open stock so i can get a few more of the soft sky colors:) It will be so nice to be near an art store it has been years since I have had tat luxury:)

sundiver
02-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Kat, you might try out your paper with o.p.s. before you give up on it. I have the terracotta paper and like it for plein airs. It is rough, for sure.To fill the holes I spread the first layer with a vinyl eraser.

edit- one of my p.a.s on Richeson is second from right in my sig line

Kathryn Wilson
02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks Wendy - I'd already thought about that and I'd surely need to use a Colourshaper to spread the first layers.

I could also use it for an oil or acrylic paintings too.

Deborah Secor
02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, wonder what it would be like for gouache? I'm always on the lookout for another paper for that!

Deborah