PDA

View Full Version : Help! How would you float Ampersand to a mat?

Adriana Meiss
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I need some suggestions. I've been painting some 5 x7's on Ampersand Pastelbord and have this one painting that I though would look best in a much larger frame. I was planning on "floating" it by fixing it to a mat first. The question is what would you use to attach it to the mat? Would any glue do? My fear is to have someone return the painting to me with the board loose.
Thank you,

Deborah Secor
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Adriana, there is a lot to floating a heavier mount like Pastelbord! I'd do a lot of research first, and ask questions of a framer. I don't think just any glue is a good idea.

Why not just mat it? I'd make a mat with a thick spacer behind it and tape the P-bord to the back of it. I've used thick foam core (or used two layers) to make the inner mat, so you can fit it to the board. That way it sits inside the 'well' of foamcore behind the mat. Then I tape the four corners with linen tape, place a back mat over that with reinforcing tape, and frame the whole thing.

I've seen too many floated paintings hanging in the frame, I guess. So I'd be very careful. If you do float anything, you know you still need a spacer, so that if it should slip it doesn't slide down the glass!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I've often wondered about this - especially since the larger pieces of Ampersand can be quite heavy.

I wonder if you could cut a piece of foamcore and fit the Ampersand in that so it doesn't slide down and then do your spacers on that foamcore - either foamcore strips or Econospacers.

Seems like alot of work?

pastel lover
11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Adrianna,

I have to tell you a horror story that happened to me. I had a piece that I wanted to float in a larger frame so I took it to a framer. They double matted the painting then floated that on a large piece of matboard sized to the frame. It looked great. Then about two months later the back matboard buckled & collapsed ruining the whole thing. Moral of story...however you float it, make sure what you float on is study enough to support the weight of the float. If I do it again, I will be doing it myself & using masonite or gatorboard as the back support. The framer used linen hinge tape to attach the mats & painting (on paper) & that part held up just fine. However, my painting was on paper & I don't know if the tape would hold the pastelboard.
I know this doesn't really answer your question & I don't know exactly how you plan to float your painting. I just wanted to share this with you & hopefully save you some of the grief that I experienced.

Tanja

Adriana Meiss
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Deborah, Kathryn, Tanja, thank you so much for the suggestions and the horror story!

What Tanja said happened to her painting is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'll ask a framer I know how she'd mount it. If what she suggests sounds iffy, I'll mount the board the way Deborah suggested. The painting would need a mat anyway, as it would look "lost" framed directly to the frame.
Thanks again!