PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Bordeaux red acrlyic colour

fazzy01
11-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi guys

Liquitex soft body or golden fluid acrylics dont do a Bordeaux red. I was wondering what colours i would have to use to mix my own bordeaux red. I have cadmium red and burnt umber, in the liquitex soft body range, would those mix to create a bordeaux red? or what colours would you suggest with cadmium red?

Einion
11-19-2009, 06:25 AM
This or something similar (burgundy?) was discussed in Colour Theory & Mixing a while back. Part of the problem is that two people's definitions of a colour like this could be different.

I have cadmium red and burnt umber, in the liquitex soft body range, would those mix to create a bordeaux red?
Try it and see!

or what colours would you suggest with cadmium red?
It might be better to start with something more crimson if you have it. But if you have to start with cad red try it with black or Dioxazine Purple, see what you think in comparison to the mix with BU.

Einion

aspenman
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I use Atelier Interactives and recently have painted a lot of wine paintings. I used a "blending" directly on the substraight (linen panel ) of:

Cad Red Medium
Permanent Alizarine
Dioxazine Purple (Liquitex Heavy Body)
and a touch of Pyrrole Red in the light area for highlights

All Atelier Interactive paints except the Dioxazine Purple

I do a lot of blending with Atelier - I don't use a palette, and always "blend" paint directly onto the painting surface - never do I "mix" the paint.

ie: If I blend 4 colors onto the surface, I want to see all four colors in the finished painting.

Hope this helps

Charlie's Mum
11-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Atelier interactives also make a nice crimson which might help in the blends/glazes :D