PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to create fluid acrylics?

fazzy01
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi there

I use alot of liquitex soft body paints, but some of the colours are becoming discontinued and it is causing a pain. I love the soft body paints as they are fluid, and they suit the work i do. Golden fluid acrylics has a very minimum colour range so i cant use them. I am having difficulty tracking some of the colours so I am thinking of using heavy acrylic paint and converting it to fluid acrylics myself, without losing too much colour

but the problem is i dont know how to do it?

has anybody tried this method?

asnowfall
11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
This may help you http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/mediums/index.php

I use Polymer Medium, it is less viscous when compared to other mediums like Matte medium, and this mixture is not going to be like Fluid color in viscousity.

Once while experimenting, I mixed Heavy body paint with AirBrush thinner. I do not remember how thin the out put was but it turned pretty thin. I did not purse that route because thinner dilutes colors.

Bye
Ramesh

colorspinner
11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
It is not a good idea to thin down the heavier acrylics with too much water. I was told by an acrylic paint that the color is held together by fine polymer beads and too much water will break down that adhesion. Have you tried any of the acrylic gouache (http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/6841_holbein-acryla-artists-acrylic-paints.asp)? Very fluid, great color choices.
# No color shift
# Lightfast and permanent
# Waterproof and opaque

Einion
11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I am having difficulty tracking some of the colours so I am thinking of using heavy acrylic paint and converting it to fluid acrylics myself, without losing too much colour

but the problem is i dont know how to do it?
Add water! It really is as simple as that; the paint won't be exactly the same but it'll be darned close in many cases.

Out of curiosity, which Soft Body paints are being discontinued?

It is not a good idea to thin down the heavier acrylics with too much water.
Besides the risk from over-thinning being often overstated anyway we're only talking about going from a heavy-body consistency to something a little more soupy.

I was told by an acrylic paint that the color is held together by fine polymer beads and too much water will break down that adhesion.
That might be a little misleading. The liquid paint basically consists of pigment grains within a fluid suspension/emulsion of the binder (microscopic spheres of acrylic in water). Once dry the pigment is held within a solid acrylic 'matt' - all those acrylic spheres stuck together - after the evaporation of the water.

Einion

Charlie's Mum
11-18-2009, 04:42 PM
How fluid do you want them?
I use acrylic inks because they're highly saturated colour, thin very easily without losing integrity and can be used with many w/colour techniques - and airbrushes.
Liquitex now make acrylic inks, and here in the UK you can buy MagiColor and FW inks -all good.
If you're a member of SAA you'll get them cheaper!:D