PDA

View Full Version : Re-Gesso canvas?

Night Dancer
11-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Wetcanvaser's, I am new to painting on canvas (4 paintings/one finished) :wave: . I would like to know that if any one here re-gessos their canvas?
The problem I am having, is that when I cover an area with paint, I get a few bumbs that done take the paint. I have painted over, but sometimes I
do not have the mixed color paint any more. I looked up under search, but
the search for is down at this moment.
P.S. One more question. Does anyone put their pallets with un-used paint in Zip-lock bags, and then put them in the refrigerator after a session. :confused:
I can use some of the colors, but they dry up if I there is a small amount on the pallet? LLoyd

idylbrush
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Most of the time I will gesso a canvas even if it comes primed from the store. It seems there is something about the gesso the factories use that now and again there are spots that give me fits. So, you are not alone. I would consider the possibilites of adding another layer of gesso, cut with distilled water to a 2 part gesso and 1 part water. It will go on better and smoother and may be just what you need.

Just my humble thoughts on the subject.

wabbitt
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
You can re-gesso canvas that has been painted with acrylic paint. Acrylic gesso is not recommended over oil paint. The bumps can be sanded lightly with fine grit sandpaper, but I don't bother. I think they add character. I paint over it.

The paint palette in the fridge/freezer is an oil painting trick. I don't think it does anything for acrylic paints. You can put saran wrap (cling wrap) over your paint piles and stick it in the zip-lock bag with a damp sponge. I put my palette in a sealed plastic box so I can do without the cling wrap.

If the amount of paint is too small, nothing you can do. It's going to dry up. You can save a bit in plastic photo film canisters for a short time, like a week.

OkeeKat
11-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Lloyd!
I definately ALways regesso primed canvas from stores.. I use the gesso painting one way and lightly sand when dry and then gesso different direction and lightly sand when dry, sometimes I do more then 2 coats, to get smoother suface for finer details.
totaly a personal choice but Yes I always do.
As for the palatte, I always mist spray my palatte when done and seal in flat tupperware container with wet sponge (and penny, to avoid mold) to keep the moisture. never put in the refrig but I know alot of folks who do.
I have no problem keepin my paint moist from day to day, it will even last close to a week in small amounts.

Aires
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I reuse canvas, probably not for a special painting or for gallery showing but I certainly make use of rejected canvas. Either more gesso as others have stated or just paint over the old picture. Works very well with acrylics. I also re-gesso most new canvas as not all have the kind of surface that pleases me. I have my favorite brand of high grade gesso, know how it works and what to expect from it so it is my best fall back for both new and old canvas. I think you will find many artists even use left over paint to tone the canvas for the next painting. It not only tones the canvas for a new painting but makes good use of those bits of leftover paints not worth keeping.

chammi kaiser
11-18-2009, 05:51 AM
I always re-gesso bought gallery wrapped canvas then give it a sanding and another layer of gesso - no more sanding. If I hate one of my works and it is going nowhere, I sand it down twice and then a few layers of gesso over the old painting with a sanding inbetween each gesso layer.