PDA

View Full Version : white stuff on oil pastels

Chara1
11-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi,
somebody offered me a set of neoppastels. The price would be quite good, but some of the pastels are covered with a white layer at the ends. It is possible to remove the layer with a kleenex, but I wondered if this comes from bad storage. Could it be mold? or is this oil or wax bleeding out? Does anybody know if it affects the quality of the pastels?
best
chara

Barbara WC
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Chara-

I started a thread on this in the Oil Pastel talk forum. What you are seeing is a layer of wax that has precipitated to the surface of the stick. It is a mechanical process, not a chemical process.

I wrote to the manufacturer, Caran d'Ache and received a response from the technical person there. Here is the thread with my question to them and their response: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558060

Barbara

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Oh, old stock, eh?

Yeah, you have to watch for that stuff sometimes.

even if they say "new," doesn't really mean they were made in less than a year. :/

halthepainter
11-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Chara, the neopastels should be a good product and just scrape off the wax bloom.

The lower the grade of oil pastels seem to produce more wax bloom. My first set of student grade pastels is covered with wax bloom. The better grades shouldn't suffer.

I have heard of paintings painted with student grade OPs developing wax bloom on the surface of the painting over time. :eek: Yucky.