PDA

View Full Version : whenn used?

tutunoma
11-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I "inherited" from my mom a couple of 60ml tubes of medium lack from lefranc & bourgeois What for are they used? And how are they used?
Can someone help me?

Blick Art Materials
11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm afraid based on your description we're not sure what product line you have in front of you. If you can read anything further off of the label, we may be able to assist you. I've also linked you to the LeFranc & Bourgeois website, which may offer you some visuals. Otherwise, feel welcome to give us a call in Product Information and we'd be happy to see how we can help you! 1-800-933-2542

http://www.lefranc-bourgeois.com/ba/index.php

Kristal

tutunoma
11-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Thank you Kristal, I looked at the website but couldn't recognize the product visually. Probably is this one already elder and maybe not at all produced anymore.
All there is written on the tube is in French: Médium laque; pour couleurs transparentes; diluant: essence de pétrole; Lefranc & Bourgeois; France.
The content is a transparent, viscous liquid smelling like turpentine.
Do you think it might be a vernish for covering oil paintings or is it to be mixed with oil colors to get them more transparent?

Blick Art Materials
11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
It sounds as though it's mineral spirits, which is a paint thinner. It may say something on the label about being white spirits, which is a common European notation for mineral spirits as well. But, "diluant: essence de pétrole" tells me it's a solvent intended to either thin down the consistency of oils or it can also be used to clean your brushes.

Hope that helps!
Kristal

Einion
11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Sorry I only just saw your question tutunoma. This is a glazing medium, intended to aid with the application of glazes, to be "used in very small quantities with [transparent colours] for the finishing glaze".

It dries very slowly and helps achieve a smooth finish with no brushstrokes.

Einion

Blick Art Materials
11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Einion for your help!

Kristal

Einion
11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
No probs!

Einion

tutunoma
11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Do you apply it over the whole painting like a vernish or only to highlite some points?

Blick Art Materials
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Glazing mediums are intended to be added into your paints versus a varnish, which is the final top coat. Remember, with oil paints, they require at least 6 months to fully cure before adding a top coat/varnish.

Kristal