PDA

View Full Version : Draper Portrait

Bongo1
11-02-2009, 10:48 PM
What do you guys think of this portrait? Proportions? Values? Expression?

This is a WIP, so please be brutally honest with your CC.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2009, 06:00 AM
You've shown a very strong personality here - and one that looks perhaps from another time?

The energy in the background plays off his strong, quiet face - which you have portrayed with your strong strokes and planes of his face.

I wonder, tho, if the left ear is a bit on the small side and the neck seems out of proportion to his chin and jaw.

Wow!

edencompton
11-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Wow -- you did a great job! You really captured his likeness! I agree with Kathryn that the left ear is a little small. My only comment is that I prefer to see a little more shoulder when doing a portrait this size. It gives the head something to sit on, so to speak! Otherwise, you end up with a kind of floating head image. I think if you look at some popular portrait artists (i.e. Daniel Greene and Wendy Caporale), you'll see that they often include about a third of the body in a "head and shoulders" portrait. That's just a small comment, though. Nice job!

lyn lynch
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Oh! looks like Don Draper!!! Handsome man. I enjoy how you make the medium look like oils (at least on my screen).

The ear and width of the neck is what I saw too. If you concur, I want to watch how you correct it, so I'm glad it's a wip.

lyn lynch
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Ooohh, I'm blushing here. When I made my post I hadn't looked at the title of your thread. You have a really good likeness going, and that's impressive.

gingersnap
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
this is your best yet!! incredible likeness!! lucky us!! ginger

SonyaJ
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I assume Draper is the actor/main character in the series "Madmen", because I instantly recognized him from that show :) . I don't know names, though. Fantastic likeness of him!

Since you said it's a WIP, I won't worry about the lighter "halo" that surrounds his head, because I assume that will be gone in the final painting. That's the biggest thing that jumped out at me.

I also like portraits when the artist leaves parts unfinished, as you have done with the collar/clothing on the right side. I wasn't sure if that was intentional are just part of the WIP-ness we are seeing. Usually, when I've seen that done, it's done throughout the entire painting (edges are left unfinished), so I'm guessing maybe that wasn't purposefully left like that.

Nice job on this - I'm sure Draper would be pleased :thumbsup:

bnoonan
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh it's great! I think his real name is now something else if you watch the series.

No question it's him! I think your style is so fantastic and I've said so before. I'd be happy with it at this stage once you fix the ear.

Agree about the point with more body below the neck. Goodness knows I learned my lesson the hard way on that too many times to share.

Great!!! Barb

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Goes to show how much I am out of the loop - Madmen, I take it is from the 50's/60's.

Now, if I could only find a man this good looking, I'd be in seventh heaven.

Paula Ford
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Very handsome indeed!!

DAK723
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Very well done! Some very nice painterly "strokes" as well! I'm sure by now, you are checking the ear size and the thickness of the neck!

The only thing that I notice is that the dark side of the collar is not as pronounced as the value difference in the face. This may also be contributing to making the neck look wider.

Very nice portrait!

Don

DAK723
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Ooops, an accidental double post :o , so I will edit it to make it look like I had more to say! :lol: But I don't really, so I will just say, once again, nice portrait.

Don

Bongo1
11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Thank you all for your great comments! What do you think of this version? I've expanded the left ear a bit, but it bothers me. I'm having trouble with the value. It's on the side of his head that receives a lot of light, but if I make it any higher in value, it is distracting.

I narrowed the right side of his neck a bit. I also raised the collar, which was too low and lopsided before.

I take the point about showing more of the shoulders and chest. Next time . . .

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2009, 09:45 PM
If you put your finger over the light ear and make it go away, it looks believable, to me at least.

Bongo1
11-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Kathryn,

Thanks for your comment. Do you mean that the earlier version of the portrait looked better than the most recent version, with respect to his left ear? I hesitate to remove the ear completely.

What do others think?

Kathryn Wilson
11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I apologize - when I posted the first time, I should have made it clear I was talking about the ear on the "viewer's" left, which is the darker ear, that looked too small.

The light ear on the viewer's right looks pasted on.

mihaela
11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I like the flesh tones in this portrait! I also agree with Kathryn that the ear on our left is a little too small, and if we're taking perspective into account, the ear on our right should appear smaller than the other one since his face is slightly turned. I'm not sure if it would disappear completely, but I believe it should be less visible than the one on our left. Just a tought:)

Nicoclaus
11-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Looking very good, just one suggestion, the angle of his face, you wouldn't see much of his left ear(for the viewer, the one on the right), I would erase the bottom half of the ear, kinda taper it at the bottom