PDA

View Full Version : Trail to Tranquility (reworked)

USA
09-09-2002, 03:43 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-09-2002/8237_trailwet.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Trail to Tranquility (reworked)
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here it is with the help of your suggestions. I would of posted the old one, but I deleted it from my camera, duh! You can check out the first post of "trail to tranquility" if is not too much troulble.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please tell me what else it needs? Hows the color in the water, and does the lighting look a little better with the darker shadows?
Thanks,
www.mybrushwork.com

Wayne Gaudon
09-09-2002, 08:01 AM
Question? Are you striving for a realistic rendering or artistic flare .. what exactly are you striving for? Realistically, your rocks are all similar .. looks like a formula mass reproduction and the water down the waterfall looks similar. That is not to say that is bad. A painting is a painting and one can break as many rules as one so desires. Is this from imagination or a photo or life?

USA
09-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the feed back,
I am not sure what stlye I am trying for. I am an amatuer painter. Being doing it for about 6 months. Did a little in high school, but nothing but throwing color. This painitng is from a photo. I used the photo for composition, and then I do my own colors, shading, lighting, additions, and deletions. I try to make the subject look real, but not photorealistic. That would drive me insane and take the pleasure out of painting. I only spend a few hours on a painting, and then move on to try other things. I guess my style is "exploration" b/c I don't know what I am doing. I paint, then I post on Wet Canvas, get feed back, and learn from other painters like yourself. Check out my web site. Maybe you can give me an idea of my stlye and what I may do to improve. Thanks again for just getting involved. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
www.mybrushwork.com

henrik
09-09-2002, 02:55 PM
This is much better; now you have united the colors, and thus the trees and rocks are more part of the same image.
The division along the middle left/right where there are trees on the left and rocks on the right is difficult to make sucessful as a composition. Notice how if you divide the image into to two that you will end up with two paintings that both work independently, and IMO each would be better than the juxtaposed result.

This could be fixed by adding more of one to the other; i.e. either more rocks on the left, or more trees on the right.

Just my 2c.

USA
09-09-2002, 04:50 PM
It does still feel divided. I will take that into consideration with my future works. I am done with this one, it now hangs in my chiropractors office.
Thanks for the feed back,
www.mybrushwork.com

Wayne Gaudon
09-10-2002, 06:46 PM
I used the photo for composition, and then I do my own colors, shading, lighting, additions, and deletions. I try to make the subject look real, but not photorealistic.

... that's about what I do .. I try to make it look like a painting and use my memory of things and whatever else will work to help me get the values down .. I have heard that if you put down the right value you can use any color and the thing will work.

My only advice is to get more color into it .. the more color the better as everything in life is a rainbow if we allow ourselves to see it and when adding more colors your rocks will take on shapes of themselves and not be so (for lack of a better word) formula driven.

All the best,