PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michelangelo-November-Drop by.

trafford
11-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Guess I'll start the Cafe this month. Where did this year go? I'm just getting ready for summer.

Looks like we have some good things going this month: Helen Frankenthaler, who may lead us into analog painting and staining, Arthur Rackham's beautiful illustrations and some of the Dutch masters.

There is also the on going thread Classical Art-Non Western Cultures.

A lot to study and practice.

Are you getting started on the holidays yet or just relaxing before all the excitement and stress starts :) Post here and let us know what's going on. :heart:

brianvds
11-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Alas, alas, I am back at work this week, and will probably only drop in here again next Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, have fun, and don't do anything I wouldn't. Or if you do, don't get caught. ;-)

trafford
11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
While looking for Arthur Rackham on Youtube I came across a beautiful two parter on Mermaids and Sirens. If you have time, this is so relaxing.

http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=EXPl7G6q0Ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUl_RriX7Gg&feature=related

brianvds
11-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Alas, I don't have the bandwidth to watch much online video. But perhaps that is for the best, or I'll do nothing else!

Yes, here I am, briefly. Struggling to sleep this week, even though I work lo-o-o-ong night shifts. On impulse I decided to quickly go do a brief jog on a treadmill at the gym. So here I am at the gym, just having a quick peek at what's happening on WC.

I have already decided on a piece for the Flemish Renaissance project; will get to it next week, I hope. And then I discovered this local art charity project:

www.1000drawings.co.za

I am absolutely participating in this. I'm combining it with this month's photo paint-along, i.e. I'll send them the piece I'm painting for the paint-along; I think I'll try my hand at one of those jacaranda photos.

And that's my news for the moment.

trafford
11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey, Brian, Even though you are working and tired I'm glad to see that you are thinking ART. The 1000 drawings looks great. I hope you will let us see what you submit.

See you next week. :wave:

artbyjune
11-08-2009, 03:09 AM
I am thinking about Christmas shopping...thinking, not doing. I must get in presents to send up to Scotland. I am not a very keen shopper though!!

I will have a look at those videos and the drawing site today. I enjoy watching the videos as it helps get you 'in the mood' if you are studying an artist.

brianvds
11-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, Brian, Even though you are working and tired I'm glad to see that you are thinking ART. The 1000 drawings looks great. I hope you will let us see what you submit.

See you next week. :wave:

Well, I finally got around to it; I put my masterpiece in the October photo paint along (I'm assuming we are indeed extending it into November). So let no one say I never do anything for charity. :smug:

artbyjune
11-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Just to let you know that azulparsnip is now co-moderator in the classical forum. Thanks Robin!!

LGHumphrey
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
trafford, thanks for posting those beautiful videos about sirens and mermaids.

Surprised not to see Poynter's magnificent "The Cave of the Storm Nymphs" but maybe that will be in part 3.

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=11001

trafford
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, LG. I just loved these and have watched them a couple of times. The music is beautiful also. I'm sure there are a lot more mermaids around for a few more videos.

I thought YouTube was mostly junk, but am finding all sorts of goodies. Documentaries, art, Jacqueline Du Pre playing the cello and a few Surrealist movies I hadn't seen in years. :)

brianvds
11-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes, LG. I just loved these and have watched them a couple of times. The music is beautiful also. I'm sure there are a lot more mermaids around for a few more videos.

I thought YouTube was mostly junk, but am finding all sorts of goodies. Documentaries, art, Jacqueline Du Pre playing the cello and a few Surrealist movies I hadn't seen in years. :)

Alas, around here we have a very strict limit to how much data we can download per month (we can download more, but then it becomes prohibitively expensive). So I can very seldom watch YouTube videos. Perhaps a good thing, because I would get utterly and completely addicted and never do anything else. As it goes with such things, it IS mostly junk, but there are absolute jewels in there, and I have worked out a way to download some of it too so I can watch it again. So I now have a small collection of excellent music videos.

Hmm, makes me think I should perhaps go see what's new there...

brianvds
11-13-2009, 10:39 PM
It's been almost a year since I last tried to work in oil, and of late I have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms, so yesterday I made a quick little painting. Only to find that I have become terribly rusty. I'd better get back into this. Anyway, here's the masterpiece; like most of my oils at the moment, it is in cheap student oils, on common old cardboard cut from an old box and then primed with a layer of acrylic. I learned to draw on cheap computer printer paper, and it looks like I'm doing the same sort of thing with oil paint. ;-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2009/142294-16_nov_09.JPG

artbyjune
11-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Those bananas and the egg look very well formed Brian and you have captured the light beautifully. Most realistic.

I just ordered a couple of lino-cut boards (soft cut) and a set of cutting tools so I am ready to have my first try at lino cut printing...when the lino arrives. Just 2 small ones to see if I like the process.

I have a tube of black printers ink somewhere. And I thought it would be good to print in black and then hand-colour the image.

Apart from that, I am experimenting with gouache paints just now.

brianvds
11-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I have considered taking up lino cut, but around here the lino is almost impossible to get hold of, and when I finally did see some in a supply shop, it was absolutely spectacularly expensive. Of course, it is basically just linoleum: I have this feeling one could perhaps use the same plain old linoleum that is used to cover the kitchen floor, and it might be much cheaper. But I never got around to experimenting with it.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. It is good for myfragile ego. ;-)

Well, I'm off on one of my fearsome work weeks again, so I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to check in here until next Monday...

azulparsnip
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Janet - thanks for posting the u tube but that particular link crashes my computer.
aaaack, computers become out of date too fast. We are holding off on updating our operating system and hence alot of the flash player stuff is beyond reach but there is still plenty of stuff accessible.

June- oh, the soft cut stuff is sooo fun. I hope you enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the gouache

Brian - I hope this is a good work week for you. That egg is sooo realistic. I've been saving cardboard from cereal boxes ever since I some ink drawings on it posted in a sketch crawl. It's free art supplies.

I'm making sheets. Yes, sheets for beds. I like to make my own. I was surprised at the rise in the cost of cloth.

Had a tooth pulled thursday. I am now full of compassion for those who have more than one pulled at a time.

weather here has been pleasant.

azulparsnip
11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Here's a link to a collorabation project my husband and I have started.

this is a monoprint /watercolor/ink My daughter's neighbor was in this exact situation one morning as I was leaving her house

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593481
(file:///Users/robin/Desktop/www.wetcanvas.com:.webloc)

trafford
11-18-2009, 07:11 AM
What a wonderful collaboration and to be married to a poet...the unsung heros of the art world. Love the monoprint too. Who did the printing? You, I guess. Hope you two collaborate more often. :heart:

azulparsnip
11-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Yep, I did the print. We are aiming at doing an exchange once a month. I'm thinking my drawing that went with the poem he gave me not real good. I'll post it next week though.

artbyjune
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
My lino and cutting tools arrived this morning. Now how do I do it???

trafford
11-23-2009, 10:18 PM
How exciting! All my cutting tools are pretty dull. I think they have a thread in the printing forum that tells how to sharpen them. Maybe I'll take the lazy way and just buy the tips new. I used to cut lino a lot, but I never was too happy with the results.....So it is time for Robin to step in with some advice. I'd love to try again. I do have a wonderful book "The Complete Printmaker" by John Ross, Clare Romano and Tim Ross. It covers all kinds of printmaking. Can hardly wait to see what you do. :heart:

artbyjune
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I got 2 small pieces, maybe about 6 by 8 ins. I have never done a lino cut. I think I'll need to read up!

Maybe new cutting tips would be a good idea, Janet. I think they are inexpensive to buy..at least here they are:wave:

azulparsnip
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
yo - Janet and June - been out of town and stuff -

Here is a good link for instructions on sharpening your linoluem cutting tools. You just need a sharpening stone and a piece of thick leather. I use an old belt. I found learning to sharpening the tools challenging but with persistance it facilitates the work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/36273/536/

There are some articles about transfering the design to the linoleum. If it is the soft cut stuff I just draw the design in graphite pencil, place face down on soft cut and rub with pencil to transfer graphite to softcut and then go over it with a pen so it won't rub off.
Another way I use most often on the battleship grey linoleum is to copy the design on an older (not lazer) copier. Take that copy, place it face down on linoleum and rub the back of the paper with some OOPS spot remover....this makes the black coper toner transfer to the lino. You have to be careful to use not too much toner. If you do the toner will run and the lines will not be clear. If that happens just wipe off the lino and have another go at it with another copy....(make 2 or 3 copies just incase)
of course you can draw your design directly onto the lino....

ummm I hope this helps you some......anything else I can help with be glad too. They are also very on top of things in the printmaking forum. Andrew and Dianne are very savy and prompt in replying.

azulparsnip
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I didn't quite explain the graphite transfer right - Here is a better explaination of it I found in printmaking forum

As for lino...a slightly more longwinded approach. I put a piece of paper covered either in oil pastel or a soft dark graphite face down on the lino, then put the drawing on top of that. Then redraw over the image, which transfers the image in oil pastel or graphite like a monoprint. If you don't want to reverse the image you have to do the drawing, trace a reverse version, then redraw over *that* onto the lino.

And here's one from Andrew...(.I haven't tried this method yet but will probably have to eventually when the older toner copiers are removed from the library:eek: )

I have tried the iron on transfers, but dont reccomend them, the heat from the iron makes a lot of linoleums brittle and crumbly once they cool. I make an inkjet print, cut it out to size, place it (dry) on the lino block, then soak it with water with a spray bottle.... Rub it GENTLY from behind, and peel it carefully off after 30 secs or so.... The result (once dry) is a great REVERSED image- Ready to cut. It is a bit on the faint side, but it works.....

artbyjune
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I have the soft cut lino, Robin. Maybe I will do something after Christmas with it. Not sure I'll have time to do my research before Christmas what with all the hustle and bustle!! Can you then print lots of copies once you have your lino image cut out? I assume you can. Do you use water-based ink or oil based ink?

I hope you do a project for us next year on lino cuts. It would be amazing.

azulparsnip
11-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm willing to give it a go. Alot of classical artists worked with printmaking.

brianvds
11-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Update on my latest project: as I might have mentioned before, for the past few years, instead of buying bits of mass-produced plastic as Christmas gifts for my brother's kids, I have started something of a tradition of writing them a story instead.

This year I got ambitious and decided to illustrate my story. It is as I have always suspected: illustration is frightfully difficult and requires far more creativity and talent than most fine art! But I was determined to come up with something, so I got hold of lots of pictures of squirrels (the story is about a bunch of squirrels who build their own city), studied these to get some sort of handle on squirrel form, and then drew my pictures. Here are some of the better attempts:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2009/142294-183-8353_IMG.JPG

A dispute about how to go about the building project:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2009/142294-183-8358_IMG.JPG

A sparrow accidentally flies into one of the buildings:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2009/142294-183-8361_IMG.JPG

Building operations not quite going according to plan:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2009/142294-183-8362_IMG.JPG

And the end:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2009/142294-183-8363_IMG.JPG

Another twenty stories or so, and I might get the hang of this. ;-)

I look forward to seeing everyone's adventures in printmaking...

trafford
11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
:lol: Just great Brian...I needed that boost from your illustrated book today. Please show us more...I want to see how their building goes along :lol:

trafford
11-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Ooops! I see it is the end, and they never finished. Really funny drawings.

artbyjune
11-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I love the humour in the drawings Brian. That one of the sparrow bumping into the building...maybe not 'funny' (at least not for the bird)...but it sure is expressive. I could feel the hard bump!

azulparsnip
11-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Brian - these are great. I'm sure your relatives will cherish this gift.

brianvds
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Brian - these are great. I'm sure your relatives will cherish this gift.

They had better - I spent many hours working on it! ;-)

Thanks for all the kind comments. Motivates me to promptly go write and illustrate some more. ;-)

brianvds
11-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Oh, and before I disappear again for another week, more news from Dark Africa. Yesterday, I went with some friends to a local picnic spot and small nature reserve, less than half an hour from Pretoria's city center and one of the lesser known but nicer things about the city. We went for a little walk where we ran into these somewhat paranoid-looking fellows:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2009/142294-183-8370_IMG.JPG

Now isn't that nice. Pity my rather ancient point-and-shoot camera doesn't have a more sophisticated zoom function, or we would have had something for the next photo paint-along. ;-)

gakinme
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Finally, I have a couple of days off. Brian, those illustrations are so cute. Very action oriented. I agree. Illustration takes more talent just just copying the masters! Keep it up.

So you pass by giraffes like I pass by sheeps and cows, deers and elks. That is so cute. Do you have lions too? Are they dangerous?

I'll try to do some pieces today. Spent all day catching up cooking for my family yesterday after a first day off after many days.

brianvds
12-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Finally, I have a couple of days off. Brian, those illustrations are so cute. Very action oriented. I agree. Illustration takes more talent just just copying the masters! Keep it up.

So you pass by giraffes like I pass by sheeps and cows, deers and elks. That is so cute. Do you have lions too? Are they dangerous?

I'll try to do some pieces today. Spent all day catching up cooking for my family yesterday after a first day off after many days.

There are plenty of lions in some areas, but for obvious reasons not in such nature reserves as this one, where you can go for an unaccompanied walk. ;-)

The giraffes are not dangerous; they are not aggressive despite their large size. In fact, even lions are for the most part not dangerous. Most wild animals flee in terror when humans approach, and this includes lions. They do become dangerous when they are are sort of semi-tame and have lost their instinctive fear of humans. So, rather counter-intuitively, tame lions are far more dangerous than wild ones.

Anyway, unfortunately much of Africa's once spectacular wildlife is no more, just like everywhere else on the planet wherever that scourge humanity went, so nowadays you see large animals like this mostly only in nature reserves.

Thanks for the kind comments on the illustrations. I am now all eager to write another story for no other reason than to have an excuse to draw more pictures. ;-)