PDA

View Full Version : Framing acrylics on paper

VictoriaS
01-26-2001, 10:39 AM
I know that, in general, paintings on paper have to be framed under glass. But is glass necessary if it's an acrylic painting, if it's varnished?

Thanks,
Victoria

cuttlefish
01-26-2001, 01:09 PM
Yes, varnished acrylic paintings on paper can be displayed naked. Unvarnished paper surfaces may attract dust and be difficult to clean, so either make sure you have a contiguous varnish surface or glaze your frame. Just make sure you have a thick enough matte to keep the paint away from the glass.
About glass, though-- I'd reccommend using real glass only for framing dry pastel paintings. Plexiglass (and other plastic glass substitutes) is much lighter and more resistant to breakage than glass. The weight advantage is especially valuable with very large paintings. Unfortunately, most plastics tend to hold a static charge which will attract unfixed pigment, like dry pastel. Acrylic should not be framed in direct contact with plastic or glass as unwanted adhesion and compression may occour, especially when subjected to hot lighting conditions.

VictoriaS
01-26-2001, 01:13 PM
Okay, thanks, Cuttlefish. That answers it.

Victoria

Keith Russell
02-21-2001, 08:38 PM
Greetings:

for an alternative view, I always frame my airbrushed acrylic paintings under glass, and I never use plexiglass.

Several years ago, I was told about Plexiglass by a fellow artist at a national show, and I used it to frame several paintings.

My work is exhibited across the country, and it travels with me, by car.

Plexiglass scratches very easily, and yes--saying it attracts dust is an understatement. Glass is easier to clean (and glass is cheaper) than Plexi, and doesn't get as dusty, and glass does not scratch. Pieces framed under glass look much better at shows than those framed under Plexi.

The choice is between dusty and scratched Plexiglass, or the occasional broken pane of clean, clear glass.

I'll take broken glass any day.

I also never use 'non-glare' glass--which looks cloudy to me, and makes my work look 'foggy'.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]