PDA

View Full Version : DNA Impregnation

crumbedbrains
09-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Hi all,

We've got a VERY famous painter here (down under) called "Pro Hart" who's done some pretty wierd stuff in his time but he is in high demand and makes a fortune. I myself am not into his work but does things like shoots paint outta cannons, rolls around on his paint soaked canvas . .you get the picture. His latest "groundbreaking" venture is to DNA impregnate his paintings to assure authenticity to prospective buyers . . . . he gets a cotton bud and takes a swab of saliva from inside his cheek and impregnates a spot on his canvas for future identification purposes.

Why am I posting this in the Pastel forum??? . . (*Glad you asked*) . . . well, those of us who are ignoring any safety concerns regarding pastel dust often just blow on the paper to get rid of the excess . . . and you guessed it . . .every now and then . . (Yes, it's coming) . . . a tiny weeny bit of spittle ends up on the paper. (*Don't say it doesn't happen*).

I reckon we at the Pastel forum are ahead of our time . . so in order to allay the concerns of future buyers worried about authenticity, it's time to 'fess up and let the world know who has, and who hasn't been inadvertantly DNA impregnating their work!!

Own Up!!! . . it's only fair to our customers!!

Crumby!!

chookbrown
09-08-2002, 03:27 PM
That sounds a LOT like Pro Hart!!!! My favourite was the spaghetti, chocolate sauce etc on the carpet shaped like a dragonfly.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2002/prohartcarpet.jpg

So then, what you are saying is it is ok to spit on our work and it is actually a sort of personal copyright stamp!!!

;) :p

Colleen

KarenU
09-09-2002, 04:19 PM
hehehe Crumby!!! Ok, ok.....I confess! :p

crumbedbrains
09-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Chookbrown . ."So then, what you are saying is it is ok to spit on our work and it is actually a sort of personal copyright stamp!!!""

YEAH . . BUT NOT ON PURPOSE CHOOK!! LOL eeeeeewwwww
Yeah it is "Pro Hart" . . That dragon fly you posted was a commercial for a carpet cleaner if I remember.

At least we got ONE honest person 'round here . .you've come clean Karen!! You're conscience is clear!! LOL

Cheers
Crumby

AriadneArts
09-11-2002, 04:21 PM
I ALWAYS tell those new to pastels NOT to blow on their work because of toxicity of pigments, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. I blow on mine ALL THE TIME! :D (Do as I say, NOT as I do???)

chookbrown
09-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Thank goodness you owned up Eileen, I just couldn't deal with it any other way, so will probably live a short pastel colored life and die for my art!!

Colleen :D

Jakeally
09-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Me too....I own up....I blow my pastels all the time.....its sort of involuntary, I've done it before I realise:eek: :D

LadyPearl
09-12-2002, 05:50 AM
Well I’ve been living under a rock for the last 13 years because I was never informed about pastel dust being toxic. Only recently have I started reading stuff on the internet and to my dismay have realized iv been poisoning myself all these years. Dose anyone know what it is actually doing to you when you breath it? How exactly is it doing us harm. And if I stop blowing my pastel dust away, will any harmful side affects that may have already occurred, subside?

And I must say I detest art like this carpet stained bug thing, but at least it seems he does have a good humor…lol

arizona
09-13-2002, 04:01 AM
Yes, I am a blower too!

I thought it would be ok as long as I don't take a big breath in first. That helps with unintentional spraying as well!

I also have put my stamp on a recent portrait by depositing a tiny piece of pasta (which had become stuck to my hand) on the face. I have yet to see if it will have a lasting effect (other than pasta DNA).

Redsy333
09-13-2002, 04:36 AM
LOL< Mkay, Im glad my "spit " is good for something! :D Oh man could this lead to all kinds of really bad jokes!! LOL Sorry :D :angel:
As far as the toxic stuff....well I confess there, I am a slacker on safety. I Figure I dont have any Really Bad habits (healthwise) , So why not! Now I can say Im working on my copy-write;)

arizona
09-13-2002, 04:46 AM
Hey, talking about safety, wasn't there a thread in this channel once about an artist who double gloved, wore masks and head and feet covers, apron, used fans and air purifiers laundered clothes after every session etc.....was she for real?:rolleyes:

Besides, how can you spit through a mask?

crumbedbrains
09-13-2002, 10:01 AM
AAAHHHH they're all coming out now . . took a while to own up but doesn't it feel better now the whole world knows?? And just think of the rather unique sales pitch you all have now. LOL

(Thank goodness, was beginning to feel a bit "out there on my own")

Cheers
Crumby

chookbrown
09-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
AAAHHHH they're all coming out now . . took a while to own up but doesn't it feel better now the whole world knows?? And just think of the rather unique sales pitch you all have now. LOL

(Thank goodness, was beginning to feel a bit "out there on my own")

Cheers
Crumby

whaddya mean............YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: :evil:

C.:angel:

AriadneArts
09-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by arizona
Hey, talking about safety, wasn't there a thread in this channel once about an artist who double gloved, wore masks and head and feet covers, apron, used fans and air purifiers laundered clothes after every session etc.....was she for real?:rolleyes:

Besides, how can you spit through a mask?

Hehehe, AZ. :D

But on a serious note, there are some people who are VERY allergic (asthma, etc) who love working with dry pastels, nonetheless. It seems there are quite a few who wear surgical gloves, masks and have fans. If that were my case, I'd probably do the same rather than give up dry pastel painting.

Something else this thread reminded me of: there is a group in Arizona doing very authentic reproductions of prehistoric pottery of the region (Hohokam, etc.) who have put a chemical marker in their clay so that the pots can be identified as repro's and not the real thing.:D

arizona
09-14-2002, 02:09 AM
ariadnearts, actually I agree and to be truthful, I have noticed that I have started to have a nagging cough whenever I get into painting, and have considered getting a mask. (alas, not more phantom spitules)

I feel humbled. Was just being glib and hope I didn't offend anyone.

AriadneArts
09-14-2002, 03:27 AM
Hey, AZ, maybe that's what my little scratchy throat lately is about! I know I have a dust allergy (just plain household dust) so mayyyyyybe........ But even though I know about the dust allergy, I hate wearing masks. They're so hot. So unless I've really let the house go, I don't wear a mask while cleaning, altho I should. :) I tried wearing a mask while pastel painting. It just fogs up my glasses. :D

BTW you didn't offend me. It was all in the fun of the DNA thing--I doubt that you offended anyone. Fuhget about it. ;)

Birdie
09-14-2002, 12:08 PM
This is to gooooood, the things we confess on the board....everytime it happens I look around and see if anyone saw as if there is ever anyone around when I paint...

Birdie:rolleyes:

Jakeally
09-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Oh! Birdie....LOLOLOLOLOL:D

KarenU
09-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Speaking of masks....I came across this sometime, somewhere during my internet travels and thought you all might be interested. A paper type mask that has an exhalation valve on it to prevent heat and moisture build up (one of the main reasons that I avoid wearing a mask). I have not given this one a try but I'm planning on ordering some.

http://www.labsafety.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=12724&pf_id=25960