PDA

View Full Version : Simple Waves

climber-man
10-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Just messing around very fast, this time in Corel Painter. It feels much closer to the real thing than photoshop, I'll probably buy a copy online. I'd love some crits since this would be so easy to change.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2009/90870-rolling_waves.JPG

mooz49
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
So ....are you going digital now Brian? ....simple but effective .....very nice!

Marty C
10-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Digital must be the cleanest medium ever! One click and it's done, no smells, no paint on clothes or cat.

This lacks detail, Brian, almost like it's waves seen through mist. The waves themselves are quite jagged, which works if the sea is really worked up, in which case there should be multiple wavelets in the troughs as well. If they are swells, then they need to be smoother at the crest.

climber-man
10-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks Anne, some days I'd like to paint but know there's no time so this works in just fine... onto Marty the master critiquer

Thanks Mate, I think I will build it up to be a bit more chaotic as you suggest, smoother would probably be not as fun. Well, I'm going to cross my fingers.

Andun
10-24-2009, 04:05 AM
What an excellent idea for a painting Brian! Looks like fun too:)

laudesan
10-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Hey Brian. When I looked at it, I thought it was snow.. :-))

Skyenorth
10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
It is simple but effective. I depend on natural light to paint so I think going digital could be fun for the long dark winter nights.

climber-man
10-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Tony, it's been a challenge, trying to visualize the lighting without a concrete reference.

JJ, hopefully this next one will look a bit more wet! But snow's fun too

Kind words Caroline, and appreciated. I also have problems getting the light I need, but my 3 lamps do a good job except all the bulbs are incandescent so they make colors much different than day light. Digital makes a lot of sense in my opinion as long as your goal is just to be creative rather than gallery oriented for everything. It's a good way to plan also

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2009/90870-rolling_waves.JPG

Skyenorth
10-25-2009, 02:29 PM
A friend of mine assured me that galleries exhibit paintings under artificial light so she paints away quite happily at night. However I find that some galleries do have good natural light so it is important to be aware of that fact. I do a light test on the paintings I want to put out to galleries, if they look good under natural light, bright sunlight, bright artifical light, dim lighting at night and north facing light then it is a winner! Painting at night under artifical lights is ok if you keep to a limited palette.
The next stage is looking great Brian.