PDA

View Full Version : Glazing

InkMinx
10-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi One more question!
I have bought Artisans quick dry medium, their linseed oil and their thinner. All the paints im using are artisan transparent colours and I want to use the glazing method.

However I just read ina book about not using linseed etc to make glazes but to use Liquin.

So now Im confused am I okay to use what I have bought or will it not work and I need liquin? Or do I only use liquin if Im trying to do a glaze with opaque paints?

couturej
10-22-2009, 08:24 AM
One thing that I've discovered from reading many art books is that each one will have their own methods. Their are usually several ways to approach a certain technique. You can just use linseed oil for glazing. I've used a mixture of oil and water for glazing with the Holbein Duo Aquas. I would not use this combination with the W&N Artisan as they don't seem to respond to water in the same way as the Holbein. You could use a mixture of thinner and linseed oil. My mixture is 1/2 water and 1/2 linseed oil. You could also use the Fast drying medium.

Here's what W&N has to say regarding the Fast Drying Medium:

"Artisan Fast Drying Medium improves the flow and speeds the drying of Artisan oil colours, smoothes brushwork and increases gloss and transparency. It is excellent for glazing and producing fine detail and is resistant to yellowing.

This is a very popular medium as it speeds the drying of oil colour by about 50%, allowing further layers to be applied more quickly. The formulation has been improved and this has helped to wet the colour better. It thins the colour and increases gloss and transparency. When painting in layers it can substitute linseed oil and be combined with water and/ or thinner to maintain 'fat over lean.' "

InkMinx
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Right I think I will stick with what I have then. Does anyone know if the finish is affected with the quick dry stuff, is it like water where it has a dull finish?

greywolf-art
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
the fast drying medium is a sort of water mixable liquin anyway so you will be fine with it, I use it for glazes frequently and it gives a glossy finish.

I would recommend thinning the medium with the artisan thinners before use to improve flow and handling as it can be a bit sticky

InkMinx
10-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Yup I have cloked the treacle like consistancy, and have the Artisan thinner at hand. I finished the under painting tonight, so will be cracking on with the glasses tomorrow.

Another thought, can an opaque paint still be used for a glaze if thined down enough, as I think the Naples Yellow would be very usefull for skin tones.

greywolf-art
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
yeah you can use them in a glaze, but the colour would be more translucent than glass-like, though for flesh tones that can actually be useful sometimes.

If you are going to use naples yellow I'd recommend using it in the first glazes then add transparent glazes over the top to get the subtle variations of colour and the deeper shadows - that will make more sense once you have started the glazing BTW.

I regularly use naples yellow for my portraits BTW, mixed with varying amounts of cadmium red and burnt sienna then mixed with zinc white it can make for some very good flesh tones

Osteomark
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Where do you get the Artisan thinner?
I have the new and improved Quick dry medium and it works great in the 24-48hr period.
I have the watersoluble linseed oil but thats not the Thinner right?
I think of thinner as turpintine that cuts through the linseed oil for regular oil painting.
So is there a watersoluble turpintine?
Thanks,
Mark

mawdwyn
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Mark- If your local art supplies don't have the Artisan thinner, just order it on-line, all the major art supply stores carry it (Dick Blick, Cheap Joe's, ASW...).
And yes, the thinner is different from the linseed oil - use it like you would turpentine.
Like Greywolf, I like to mix a little into the quick-dry medium to improve the flow. Makes it very nice for glazing.

Callie

greywolf-art
10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
the thinners is the watersoluble alternative to turps - but without the smell or dangerous fumes, I'm not sure where you would get it in America though, perhaps check out the mail order stores?

dspinks
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Dick Blick, ASW, and Jerry's Artarama carry it online only. Cheap Joe's does not carry it either in-store or online and didn't seem interested in carrying it when I inquired. But they will special order it for you. Hobby Lobby carries the smaller bottles in-store.

Debra

querin
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I work from light to dark I use the white of th board as the white my surface i prepare is very smooth I use Liquin as my (water) to thin down the paint mostly use transparent colors you can use opaque in the first glazes allow each layer to dry then apply the next .I use a nylon brush with a small amount of liquin on it (dressing the brush)to put into a shape then pull it out with a stiff nylon scrubber brush to lighten it further .
I just put a painting on floral and botanical Glowing rose in this name
querin
PS i would use the right glazing medium for whatever brand of pigments you use

kbaxterpackwood
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
the thinners is the watersoluble alternative to turps - but without the smell or dangerous fumes, I'm not sure where you would get it in America though, perhaps check out the mail order stores?

Hobby Lobby and Michael's carries it, as so some WM's. Otherwise order it on line as others have suggested.

Kimberly

Osteomark
11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I have the W&N watersoluble thinner. Wow it is like water and no oder. I used it last PM for a painting. I might mix some quick dry I have also and then the paint will be thin and dry quickly.
I used Holbien tit white and man it did not like the thinner. The paint was hard to thin. I think I'll use the W&N tit white. I really like the W&N line.
Mark

dspinks
11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, the thinner does not work well with Holbein. It's like mixing chewing gum and peanut butter, isn't it?

I wonder if the quick-dry alone will work with Holbein?

Debra

greywolf-art
11-11-2009, 05:29 AM
That's probably down to the differences in the way the two paint brands are made, W&N is a modified linseed oil, whereas Holbein is standard linseed oil with a surfactant added, the thinners were designed to work with the modified linseed oil - shame really!

Given the highly fluid nature of Holbeins quick dry liquid I suspect that you won't actually need thinners when using it, I'll have to try it out myself at some point when I have time to experiment, I have a set of Aqua Duo's at home but have not had time to play with them yet :o

Osteomark
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I used W&N titanium white and perfectly smooth blending with the W&N thinner and the quick dry medium. So it's W&N for me.
Peanut butter and chewing gum, great analogy Debra.
Mark

Ajijicartist
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I have been using Lucas Berlin water soluble oils. Does anyone have any experience with using the WN fast dry medium with this paint? I am new to WSO and don't know what to expect.

couturej
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Anita! Welcome to the forum! I've used the Lukas Berlin and love them. I've never tried the WN fast dry medium with them. Lukas Berlin has its own Fast Dry Medium that works very well with both the Lukas Berlin and the Holbein Duo Aqua.

For anyone who works with Holbein Duo Aqua this is what I've discovered from trying to mix several brands. The only brand that seems to work really well with the Holbein Duo Aqua is the Lukas Berlin both the mediums and the paints themselves. I use a 1/2 water and 1/2 linseed oil mix for my medium and as soon as I add Grumbacher Max or W&N Artisan I just get a sticky mess. I'm sure their are ways to work accross brands but I think as greywolf-art has pointed out it has something to do with the way the different brands are made. :)

Ajijicartist
11-12-2009, 05:39 PM
when I mix the fast dry medium WN with the Berlin paints it works fine at first but the paint quickly gets sticky. I think I need to experiment with some linseed oil with the medium. My problem is I have the WN fast dry and I live in Mexico. I cannot buy any of the wso paints or mediums in Mexico. In the entire country I have found one store that sells wso and they didn't have the fast dry med. I am in another part of the country now and can't even get to this store. I have to rely on people traveling north to bring me anything. I can buy Mexican oil paints which are not very good and there are no wso paints.

PierceClark
11-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Went to Holbein products on Dick Blick and found this page of mediums. Geesh, this is confusing. Why so many? And when it says, cloudiness will disappear, I think again, what is going to happen to my paintings over time? Then again, I paint for fun.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/holbein-duo-aqua-oil-mediums/

couturej
11-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Anita I hope mixing the WN fast drying medium and linseed oil works for you. I'd be interested in knowing if it makes a difference. Let us know. :)

a. ladd
11-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Max quick dry medium is compared to WN in this review at Mister Art:

"It (Max) is much better than Windsor & Newton's Artisan Quick Dry Medium, which I've found dries too fast ,is too tacky and is cumbersome in general."

Is this anyone else's experience? Could they be referring to the "unimproved" WN Quick Dry? Maybe it's the particular paint they use?

dspinks
11-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the older one. I have an "Improved" bottle and it's very fluid.

It would be nice to have a cross reference in one place for which mediums work with other brands.