PDA

View Full Version : UK WC-iers anybody going Jsimmons ex

guilliame
09-07-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm taking an away day to London for jackiesimmonds pastel exhibition on tues 17th or fri 2oth of sept any UK people thinking of going please pm me as i think it would be nice to meet up on either of those days and have a day out in the big city:D

Slowdown
09-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Wow, sounds like great fun, I hope you have a great time.
Wish I lived in England so I could attend.
I just realised that I have an art book called "Art Class", its a collins publication and in it there is a demo by Jackie Simmonds, its called "shady patio" Its an awsome painting.
I will have to remember to ask Jackie what paper was used for the painting, the book only says that it was painted on smooth neutral coloured paper, I would very much like her to explain in a little more detail exactly what paper was used.

jackiesimmonds
09-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Okay, here I am with the reply!! You can always send me a pm if you have a question - just lucky I spotted this post, I don't always log on each day. Too busy painting!
The paper used for that demo was either a pearl grey or a buff-coloured piece of Canson Mi-Teinte, used on the smooth side. Unfortunately, I do not have the original, the publishers kept it, so I cannot check, and it was done a long time ago so I cannot remember exactly. If you look at the pic top left in the book, it looks pearl grey - whereas the demos look much darker. My finished pics are seldom as dark as their double-page spread, so I am a bit suspicious about the colour reproduction. Also - I do not use black!! So I think you have to use a bit of imagination here. The darkest tones in the picture would have been either dark green, or dark blue, not black. I know they talk about "dark buff coloured paper" in the text - I reckon this was to cover themselves for their bad repro! Book reproduction is seldom accurate, I find - I have been sorely disappointed with many of my works in reproduction, with the exception of those in "The Artists Problem Solver" book, by Collins - the reproduction in that is good.
I am glad someone from WC is coming to my exhibition, Guilliame - pity you cannot come Slowdown!
best wishes
Jackie
visit my website which has a “troubleshooter” page of helpful pastel tips and hints (http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk)

Also see my post in Bargain Basement here at WC!

AriadneArts
09-11-2002, 03:32 PM
I'd come if I was'nt halfway around the world. :D Hope it is a big success!

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2002, 03:42 AM
thanks so do !!! I am now getting very nervous indeed, and wishing I had done completely different and better work. Also feeling worried that we won'thave enough visitors, and no-one will buy anything , and it will rain the whole week and no-one will want to travel, .... and if I can find other things to worry about, believe me, I will!!! I will have huge bags under my eyes from sleepless nights - very attractive for the Private View!

Jackie

chookbrown
09-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Good luck Jackie!! I'm sure all of your worries will prove fruitless.

Colleen :D

guilliame
09-15-2002, 02:33 PM
No one has yet to pm me about going to jackie simmonds pastel exhibition in london next week,if you have been into her website and seen her work you will be sorry you missed this opportunity.I have just brought my away day rail ticket and i am definitely going on friday the 20th so i hope to see some of you there i'm looking forward to a great day out:D .

KarenU
09-15-2002, 02:42 PM
guilliame....you lucky dog you!! Like Eileen, if I wasn't half way round the world, I'd be there too!!! Have a wonderful time and I hope many others show up!

Jackie...hope you have a fabulous, sell out show!!! :D We'll all be waiting to hear how it went.

guilliame
09-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KarenU
guilliame....you lucky dog you!! Like Eileen, if I wasn't half way round the world, I'd be there too!!! Have a wonderful time and I hope many others show up!

Jackie...hope you have a fabulous, sell out show!!! :D We'll all be waiting to hear how it went. KarenU woof woof,well i had a great day out shepherds market is a small square full of old victorian london pubs,restaurants with outside tables other small art galleries etc it is squeezed in behind picadilly and green park.All this time i have been using the wrong pastels my inscribe pastels are a bit heavy and scratchy,Jackie had an easel set up in the gallery and i used her soft pastels and you could actually feel the difference so soft and smooth and a nice creamy effect i am going to spend a bit more money and order some and i cant wait to try them out.To actually see jackie's work up close full size and framed was well worth the visit they are so gooood,later Jackie recommended awatercolour exhibition at the mall near trafalgar square and i also recommend to to other UK watercolorist to look out for this exhibition when it goes to birmingham,manchester and leeds.:D

KarenU
09-20-2002, 09:47 PM
guilliame.....oh....I am so jealous!! :D The area sounds wonderful, the day sounds wonderful, it sounds like you had a fabulous time. Wish we all could have been there! :(

guilliame
09-21-2002, 11:13 AM
KarenU,Thanks for your reply,yes i wish other uk people could have made it,i only got replies from overseas people like yourself and AriadneArts and slowdown,by the way i took some photos of the area if you or anybody is interested go to my profile and click on my ref pics they are on there,feel free to use any of them,there is 2 that i hope to turn into paintings:D .

KarenU
09-21-2002, 12:38 PM
guilliame....Wow, that is a great area, thanks for sharing those photos! Beautiful old architecture, lots of blooming flowers, definitely painting inspiration :D...I'd love to see the paintings when you finish them!

Jakeally
09-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Guilliame and Jackie...I am soooo sorry and envious I couldn't be there...honestly I would have loved every minute....I so wanted to see Jackies paintings up close.
Unfortunately it wasn't to be....maybe next time things will be different:)
Hope you had a very successful day Jackie:D

Dark_Shades
09-21-2002, 06:29 PM
wahhhhhhh I missed it :crying:

Guilliame next time PM ME pleeeeeease :) .... sounds like you had a memorable day.

If Jackie has another one, would you go again?

Jackie howd did u fare? .... I bet all your worries were unfounded

jackiesimmonds
09-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I am back now, after what felt like a long, but interesting week. It didn't go as well, sales-wise, as I would have liked, but I am not complaining: I sold 11 originals (just under half of the pictures I took there, though some of those were from last year) and lots of prints and cards, and then on the last day a woman who owns a gallery in Wales came along and has offered to show many of the unsold pieces in her gallery in November. So that was good, another chance to sell more. A couple were bought by visiting Americans, and lots of Americans passed by the gallery and popped in to have a look. It was a very lively week, with loads of visitors and I did enjoy being in that gallery, which is small and "friendly" in feeling. I know that doing an Art Fair might be easier in some respects, because there are SO many people passing through all the time, but I would be in competition with so many other stands. In this little gallery, I stand or fall by my own efforts, and don't have to watch others alongside me, raking in the customers and the money!
I did have one visitor who blew my mind and there is a funny story about him too. He was a chap who has been painting for only a year, and who sold 64 paintings at our big "affordable art fair" in London. Wow! I thought. I was really keen to see his work on the web - and when I looked today, I was most amused to see that one of his oil paintings is a copy of something I did for The Artist magazine early last year!! He sold his - I've still got mine! That's life, I guess.
Jackie

KarenU
09-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Jackie....welcome back! Sounds like you had a good show and guilliame was kind enough to share his pictures so we all got a little peek...even if we couldn't be there.

Dark_Shades
09-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Congratulations on the 11 sold - thats an achievement in itself.... and still hope for the others with your showing in November.... must confess the story of the guy who copied your picture.. what a cheek!!, but then its a sort of backhanded compliment.... he liked it so much to do one himself........ didnt that infringe copyright laws? .... (keep reading about that on here)

By the way thanks for the added info on obtaining Art Supplies.. and yes believe it or not I AM finding it that hard, but with all the info have now got :) shouldnt be a problem.

I believe I read somewhere that you said you have been painting for 25years .... when did you go professional

Jakeally
09-22-2002, 02:17 PM
Oh!!! Jackie....what a bummer......but I suppose you just have to look on it as a complement. You are helping so many people with your articles and books.
Congratulations on selling so many pictures and I am so glad you had a good exhibition:D

jackiesimmonds
09-23-2002, 02:16 AM
thanks again for the good wishes, and thanks too, to Guilliame and Timelady for visiting me - so nice of you to take time out and to bother, it was good to meet some real faces from WC!

Yes, I am an old hag, been painting for ages, so obviously I am "getting on" a bit!! As for when I went professional .. from the day I sold my first picture! I am never sure how to answer this. I have "worked" as an artist for 25 years,teaching, painting, writing. I suppose that makes me a professional. Ask me if it has always PAID me to work as an artist - that is another matter. I think, if I had lived alone and had to support myself completely, I would probably have had to do more teaching. I have never earned a fortune, to be honest. But then, for the first 10 years of my married life, I was a business woman, and even for a time supported my husband when he had no work. He has since supported my desire to be an artist, and is happy that I earn enough to pay for my own stuff (holidays, art materials, clothes) and I contribute to family expenses. Does that answer the question?
Jackie

Anna Marie
09-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Hi Jackie,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your week. I would have loved to attend but unfortunately I was forced to spend a week in the Yorkshire Dales in a little stone cottage by a river going for walks in beautiful scenery and going aaah isnt it beautiful a lot!

I took shed loads of pictures which hopefully will evolve into paintings eventually!

Birdie
09-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by KarenU
Jackie....welcome back! Sounds like you had a good show and guilliame was kind enough to share his pictures so we all got a little peek...even if we couldn't be there.

Congrat....Jackie glad you are back....

Where are these picture posted? Can any see them? I seem to miss things so If the were posted I missed it:rolleyes:

Birdie:rolleyes:

KarenU
09-24-2002, 08:59 PM
Birdie...if you go to guilliame's post in this thread and click on the profile button at the bottom of his post it will take you to his profile. Once there, you will see an item that say's My Reference Photos...click on the link to view all of guilliame's photos! :D

Birdie
09-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Thank you KarenU.......Does everyone know this stuff but???:confused: One of these day I might get it all figured out...:D

Birdie:rolleyes:

KarenU
09-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Birdie...this is such a big place....there is always new avenues to discover! :D

AriadneArts
09-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Guilliame, thanx for the photos. Wish I could have been there. Love the one of Jackie in the doorway of The Gallery.

Congrats, Jackie on your success and welcome back! Hope you do at least as well in November.

P.S. Don't they have copyright laws in the UK?