PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but Goodies - Vigee- Le Brun- Oct 16 - 30

azulparsnip
10-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Greetings one and all - we are studying a female Rococo artist for the next two weeks. Elizabeth Vigee-LeBrun...... Classical form with a capital C.

Please have fun.......use ANY medium you like and share your art with us, copy or alter with comedy or pathos, or do your composition in the style.

Here are two links for biographical interest and photos.

http://www.abcgallery.com/V/vigeelebrun/vigeelebrun.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lisabeth-Louise_Vig%C3%A9e-Le_Brun

trafford
10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
So much for women not getting their rightful recognition in the art world of the past. Ashamed to say I haven't heard of her, but from what I have read so far, she was quite famous and left lots of paintings for us to enjoy...and we can copy her too. :clap:

brianvds
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Ah, I have long admired her work. Alas, I am not really skilled enough to follow in her illustrious footsteps. But if I have time, I'll try out a copy of one of her paintings in pencil.

trafford
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Brian...Give it a shot. Do a study, it doesn't have to be perfect. This sort of portrait is hard for me, but I'll give it a try...all that drapery :eek:

Here's my usual You-tube contribution. Very beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbCj22utb1w

artbyjune
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Hope to join in.

Marigold
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Robin,

wonderful choice. This portrait of the Comptesse Golovine is just beautiful, the bright red dress, the warm skin tones, the pose and the smile. I would love to paint it. Are those challenges open beyond the two weeks assigned? (whoever can finish a classical oil painting in two weeks is my hero! And quick studies are no fun)

Marigold

azulparsnip
10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi Marigold - yes that is a beautiful painting.....these threads remain open .
We'd love to see your work.
The main goal here is to become familiar with alot of different artists so we don't spend large amts of time reproducing but YES by all means do pursue the muse and share it :thumbsup:

brianvds
10-26-2009, 12:37 AM
And here is the other thing I did during quiet moment at work this past week: a copy of a portrait of Vigee-Lebrun's daughter that I found while surfing around. I couldn't quite capture it, but it sure did push my already high regard for Vigee-Lebrun up another notch or two. It was done with HB mechanical pencil on cheap computer printer paper, which was what was available at work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2009/142294-183-8340_IMG.JPG

azulparsnip
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
wowser, Brian you're moving quick sketch into another galaxy with this one!! Your studies are paying off for you.

artbyjune
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
That is a wonderful study, Brian.

brianvds
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I didn't really quite capture a likeness; the original was somehow slimmer and prettier and did not have such an idiotically vacant expression. ;-)

Weird thing with my sketches, but they almost invariably work out better when I sketch fairly rapidly than when I try to make a careful, refined drawing. I am apparently incapable of drawing - sketching is all I'm good for! Hardly what you need in classical art, but I'm getting over it now. ;-)

azulparsnip
10-30-2009, 07:29 PM
So many portraits, and I got the body language better after a second try but I still can not get the mouth or eyes , or nose for that matter....but any, it was good getting aquainted with Vigee-LeBrun. I think I'd like her to be on the repeat list.

Here it is for better or worse...... colored pencil and ink

this is Hubert Roberts, a landscape artist who was a friend of Vigee's. Here is her portrait........admiralable to say the least

brianvds
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
So many portraits, and I got the body language better after a second try but I still can not get the mouth or eyes , or nose for that matter....but any, it was good getting aquainted with Vigee-LeBrun. I think I'd like her to be on the repeat list.

Here it is for better or worse...... colored pencil and ink

this is Hubert Roberts, a landscape artist who was a friend of Vigee's. Here is her portrait........admiralable to say the least

Well, John Singer Sargent, one of the greatest of 19th century portrait painters, defined a portrait as "a picture in which there is something wrong with the mouth."

If even he found facial features difficult I guess we can forgive ourselves!

I like the way in which you have translated the original into something quite new with a medium that didn't even exist at the time. I have on occasion also tried almost the same thing, sometimes using a cheap ballpoint pen for the ink lines, and then using coloured pencil over it, or else using waterproof ink with watercolour, and the results are always sort of surprising. One gets a completely different take on the subject.

I wouldn't even try to follow Vigee-Lebrun's lead in oils, I have to say. Unless I wanted to use the resulting painting in a thread about abstract art... ;-)

artbyjune
10-31-2009, 01:51 AM
Very neat study Robin. I also liked how you translated it into a different medium.

I havent managed to do any work for this project! So a repeat...I may catch up then.

trafford
10-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Fine work Brian. Like your pencil portraits a lot.

Robin, your take on this portrait is very interesting. I like the idea of taking paintings and doing them in another medium.

Sorry, I didn't get time to do this painter...I missed Gwen John too. :(

azulparsnip
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
thank you all for your kind comments.....I enjoyed studying V-LeBrun alot