PDA

View Full Version : homeless Man (W.I.P)

jlukach
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Getting back to basics after a couple of more difficult projects. I chose this to continue my education of different techniques. With this drawing I hope to explore a combination of blending, circulisum, negative drawing, depth of field and emotion. I love characters whose emotions are in you face so to speak. I mean right on the surface. So far I've basicly established a very dark value and some mitones and of course white. Now I can work with these values as a guide, to be adjusted as I move forward.

The size is 8" x12" on Strathmore Bristo 500 vellum, 2 ply.
Prncils HB and 2B .o5 mm mech , and a asortment of wood pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2007/11868-homeless_3_wc.jpg

All critiques and comments welcome

Jim

chaz
10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Interesting start on an interesting subject. Pulling up a recliner and with a cup of cocoa, will be watching this one.

Chuck

alfredart
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Great start Jim!!! I can't wait to see this develop. It's gonna be a keeper I can tell. Love that eye.

Peace,
AL

SparrowHawk7
10-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Another good one on the way, Jim. Got any extra sloosh?

Printmakerguy
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start on this on, Jim.... I'll pull up a chair, too!

-Andrew

gourdburner
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Great start! Will be watching for an update.

jlukach
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Chuck I'll take some of your cocoa and some sloosh from ken's recipe and we'll have a party. Welcome aboard friend and we'll see were this adventure leads us.
Al Thanks buddy, I plan on pushing some limits with this, so I hope we don't crash and burn. So, hop on board.
Ken Thanks my friend. We have cocoa and sloosh and how about some "O be joyful".:D
Andrew Thank you, Join the party.
Debbie Thanks for stopping, now hop on board and lets all have a blast.

Next update coming soon.

Jim

Indyviews
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Ditto on all of the above Jim......except for the sloosh...until I know exactly what it is.

jlukach
10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Steve If you remember, Ken serve sloosh around the campfire when he did his civil war series. It' what the confederate solders lived on. I really appreciate you stopping by. Hop on board a bring some of you favorite snacks.

Jim

*Deirdre*
10-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Aha! Looks like a great start! Some refreshments eh?:evil: :wink2: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2007/33616-7231-6659008.gif

Gordon's art
10-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Jim when I saw the title of this I thought my preminition had come true with all the neighbours leaving,(lol) but I was suprised to find I was wrong, this is a very good start I too love the eye ( quit while your ahead) so I will be watching this develope. looks as though this gent has been at the sloosh!

Rowey
10-28-2007, 08:00 AM
looking good, cant wait to see the finished product x

Bryarpatch
10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah! I'm jumpin on this train! Anyone up for some brownies?

jlukach
10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Deirdre Now that you have set up the bar we're ready to go. Thanks for being here.
Gordon Not the sloosh, more likely the "O be sinful" . Only about 10 days and I;m off to cruise the west coast of Mexico. Your stopping by means a lot.
Rowey Thanks for commenting. I think this one is going to take a while.
Bryarpatch Oh yea, hop on board. Brownies sound good, Hope they don't have added ingredients.

Jim

wandathefish
10-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, look at that eyeball. "Here's looking at you, Babe!" HA! I look forward to your finish.

ranunkel
10-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Great eyes! I will come back and take a look!

Gordon's art
10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
this Is A Great Picture To Draw Where Did You Get The Ref

jlukach
10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
wandathefish Great to have you here, but I think the finish is a ways off yet. Pull up a stool and welcome aboard.
ranunkelYes, please come back soon. The eyes are kind of what this is about plus a lot of drama, I think.
Gordon I have to share a secret, (Whisper) "If I told you I would have to kill you".:evil: Thank you sir Gordon for adding intellectual stimulation to this thread.

Long,Long way to go yet but I have the face mostly blocked in. I figured that I needed to post this update before Halloween. I hope to have another update before I leave on vacation on Nov. 8th. Again thaks to all for your comments. They inspire me to keep going and keep postiing.

Now for the update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2007/11868-homeless_man2__wc.jpg

All C & C welcome
Jim

Reinhard1
10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Jim, can't agree more with all the members who posted before me. Great start and truly interesting eyes. What gets me though a bit are the irises in both eyes. They appear to be awfully small on my screen. If we say that the realtionship between iris and white of the eye is roughly 50/50 whe the view is directed at us but even at this angle I would expect the irises to be larger. Can you check that for me, please?

Additionally to the great eyes, you are getting some interesting structure in the skin. Keep it up!

Gordon's art
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Jim I dont know about homeless but I think you have found my long lost twin! but I have to agree with Reinhard(hard not to really) about the skin textures its coming along nice keep it up peasant

Dougwas
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
WOW! I am watching with great interest. Or is he watching me? Great drawing. I can't wait for the next update.

Doug

Kathrin G.
10-31-2007, 02:51 AM
this is coming along fantastic :clap: there is so much feeling and impressions on this already :thumbsup: I will join the cue to get front seats here :)

jlukach
10-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Reinhard Your remarks are really appreciated. I understand completely your comments about the eyes. I know that I'm one who advocates Artistic license to enhance a drawing, But upon closer inspection the eyes match the source exactly. The man lives on the fringes of society, and who knows what his addictions could be. He does have large eyes on what I'm assuming a small body. I understand exactly what you are saying and will do some sketches to see how it would look using your suggestion. In the end it will be visual impact that will rule the day. The skin has been exposed to the elements, illness. and in general a poor life style. I want to make a visual statement. Thanks so much
Gordon This humble peasant Appreciates your presence here and If I have capered a likeness of you twin, then I'm a better artist than I thought.
Doug Thank you for your kind words. I too am eagerly waiting for the next update. Who knows where this journey will take us. I don't.
KathrinRaw emotion is one of the things that drew me to this subject. I also think that though disturbing. To push the limits is refreshing, Hop on board and partake in the goodies. Thanks for being here.

Jim

Reinhard1
10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Jim, thanks for the clarification. By all means, please stick with what you have. I was just wondering, especially since the iris seems to be taken up completely by the pupil. Don't do any changes just because of my remark. Since I did not know the reference, I commented as I did. As I said, you are doing a great job. :clap:

alfredart
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Great going so far Jim. Looks like a Hugh Hill photo. Love his homeless. Can't wait to see the finish on this one..... gonna be great!

Peace,
AL

chaz
10-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Jim, this is developing nicely. The frustration and defeat clearly shows in his eyes. Great job. waiting for the finish.

Chuck

jlukach
10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Reienhard :thumbsup: Please, your suggestion has great merit and I am going to explore in that direction. As I said I'm not locked in to a perfect copy of the source and Whatever gives the greater impact is the way to go, and I'm differently not considering photorealism. Just my way of showing what I want to say. :music: "My Way":music: :music: :D , love Franks song.

Jim

jlukach
10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Al It's not a Hugh Hill photo, But I have a special thing about the homeless an maybe someday I'll tell it bot not right now. I Thai you for coming along on this ride into the dark side, so eat lots 'cause it's gonna' be awhile b'for it's done.:D :cool:

Jim

jlukach
10-31-2007, 05:27 PM
:thumbsup: Chuck You are starting to understand this, and I really appreciate that. The eyes and emotion are what this drawing is all about. now saddle up with Al and pig out. Ya'llwill need food before this'uns is done.

Jim
PS: I think I just had a brain f**t I guess. I have no idea why I posted the last 3 responses separately.

emad
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Hello Jim

This is really beautiful..

I love the look in his eyes. The drawing is already full of emotions.

can you share the reference you are using with us?

I guess you can go over the dark sport with 4H pencil to get red of grainy look. also to creat a smoth transition from dark to light. I am sure though you are going that way.

Looking forward for an update

jlukach
11-01-2007, 12:04 PM
:thumbsup: emad Thank you my friend for your kind words. Yes I am going to darked the deep shadow areas. I won't finish all the darks until the whole drawing is all blocked in. That way I won't have to work around them and take the chance of smudges.

Jim

Gordon's art
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Jim I think you are a better artist than you give yourself credit for (enough of this creeping on with the comments) this is probably the best drawing I have seen you do so far! by the way hgope you dont mind but I have added you to my buddy list

laketrees
11-15-2007, 02:16 AM
marvellous ! simply marvellous....that eye is extraordinary !

jlukach
11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
For Gordon and Laketrees I apologize for not replying sooner. Vacation and a houseful of company over thanksgiving is the reason but not a excuse. Thank you both for your comments.

Gordon has pushed me for an update on this project, so here is a few hours more work on it. I think Gordon wants to know just how deep and dark this will become. I don't really think it will get much worse than what you see here.

This gentleman has elicited much comment from those who have visited my home over Thanksgiving, and I may add a lot of interest including a bid to purchase it. So, here is an update and I shall keep Gordon happy by continuing on with this drawing.

Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2007/11868-000homeless_wc.jpg

Sorry the photography is poor on this update.

Kathrin G.
11-25-2007, 01:57 PM
these eyes are haunting :eek: they seem to be telling a life story within the second you catch his look. You are not just drawing a picture, you are telling a story :thumbsup:
absolutely amazing work :clap:

joane
11-25-2007, 02:15 PM
He seems to be looking at you, as if he isn't sure he wants to have his picture preserved for posterity! Going to fun to watch this one develop! I like the cocoa--forget the sloosh and please pass the brownies!

emad
11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I was really waiting for an update on this jim..:)

The dark values added better depth to the drawing.

Keep going pal. It is really coming along very beautifully

chaz
11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update Jim. Coming along very nicely. The piece is beginning to develop some interesting character. Keep posting.

Chuck

jlukach
11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Kathrin Thank you for your comments, they are really encouraging. You are looking beyond the lines and into his soul and that is what I'm after, thank you, maybe this is becoming a success,
joane He may be looking into your soul, seeing if he likes what he sees.:evil: Brownies huh, well we have plenty left over from thanksgiving Joane, help yourself, maybe some turkey? I appreciate your coming around.
emad I don't know my friend, after that bomb you posted this is mild stuff. What kind of snacks would you like to add to this feast. Thanks for stopping by, it means a lot.
Chuck Thanks buddy, have some brownies, or turkey, or cocoa, or maybe some by God "oh be joyful" juice, or we have a special on sloosh.

Jim

Dougwas
11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Jim, what a fantastic drawing. As you say, he could be looking into our souls or, are we looking into his soul? I can't imagine what turmoils this man and other homeless people have been through but you have made me stop and think about the less fortunate people in our world. I will be watching with great interest.

Thank you,

Doug

Gordon's art
11-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Jim glad I could be of help getting you back to your drawing this is really an awsom drawing you are doing it tells a story even in this early stage well done "I dob my hat to you sire"

chaz
11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
slip some sloosh over to my booth. I'm too bushy watching this thread to come over a get it.

Chuck

jlukach
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Doug You are to kind but thank you. I spent some time, many years ago, working on "skid row" in a farming community in northern California. I became acquainted with many homeless and have heard many of their stories. Anyway if this drawing has touched you, then I have done my job.
Gordon I conceder your hat dobbed, your lordship. Thanks my friend for your kind thoughts. When I grow up I want to be just like you. Well, maybe not just like you, but close.
Chuck You got it buddy, how many barrels do you want:D

This update is a bit messy but you get the picture. I'm starting to develop the beard and put down the initial wash for several areas. I think more of his personality is coming out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/11868-000homeless_1_wc.jpg

At this stage I really need to keep myself from rushing to the finish.

Jim

Gordon's art
11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Jim you seem to be handling the beard very well to be honest I thought it was going to be a difficult thing to do but as I have said you have done well keep this up and I may want to grow up to be like you

jlukach
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Gordon Thanks for stopping my friend. I'm to tired to do any thing today, so maybe I'll have another update tomorrow.

Jim

chaz
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey Jim, send over two barrels. And thanks for stating my age correctly. Fooling everybody. By the way this will be my 2000th post if I figured correctly. My how time flies when you're having fun. Get some rest friend.

Chuck

Kathrin G.
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
you are capturing a whole life-story alright . the more this is developing the more we learn about him. I am amazed.
A part of we wants you to rush, because I feel like reading a bestseller and somebody took the book of me at the best part. But another pert tells me it is well worth the wait.

electricajun
11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Jim, I've been sitting on the sidelines watching with interest. Great job so far!
Ron

aaces
11-28-2007, 02:31 AM
As usual...I'm late!
I did bring a couple bags of M&M's though!:D
I work and interact with many a person who looks just like the subject you are drawing. You captured the look and "Feel" perfectly so far.
I'll be watching for updates.
Oh yeah....I brought my own Mason jar....quart size of course:D ....
got any sloosh left?
Or did Chuck get the last few barrels?:lol:

Gordon's art
11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Allen seems like chuck gets all the sloosh so you might as well put your jar away

SparrowHawk7
11-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Did I hear Sloosh?????

Coming right along Jim ... looking good!

chaz
11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah I got a bit of sloosh to be sure, but I would think that there is a hluge supply of "Oh Be Joyful " left.

But I've been tapping the sloosh waiting for another update from Jim. So he better be quick or I might have to requisition some of the "Oh be", or I might have to resort to starting a WIP of my own if I get bored waiting.:eek:

Chuck

SparrowHawk7
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
If'n you want some, you'd best hurry .. hic ... I've been hanging around here without email notifications for quite awhile with a big full jug ... hic ... it's not so full now.

Amazingly though, yesterday I started to get email notifications from WC again. Now I've got something to celebrate ... and a jug of just the stuff to do it!

But I've still got plenty to share, Chuck ... hic ..

Janby
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Jim, this is looking great up to now. Leave the "sloosh" and the "oh be joyful" to the other guys or you may spoil your drawing :evil: :wink2:

jlukach
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
chuck Two barrels huh, are you kidding? were will you be 2,000,000,000,000 calories later. Congrats on 2,000 posts, so do they give you anything for that? Stay coo my friend.
Kathrin Thanks for stopping. In my mind it's a story worth telling, and I really hope that others think so too. And yes I need to take my time. Right know Xmas shopping is getting in my way.
Ron The fact that you stopped by is great, thanks. Don't be a stranger my friend.
aaces If you interact with this kind of people then you understand. Thanks for the M & M's and there's plenty of Sloosh left.
Gordon Now, now, buddy, we can always find more for the needy.(sorry Chuck)
Ken You did hear sloosh reb. I do appreciate you lookin' in on us.
Chuck Nobody is looking for the next update more than I am. It's coming in a day or so. You should start a W.I.P. anyhow.
Ken I got e-mail notifications for a short while but haven't had any in a week or so. By the way, I was down Mexico way a couple of weeks ago and they have Oh be joyful taste alike for $5 a jug.
Janby What kind host would I be to let those wild and crazy guys be unchaperoned. it's lovely having you stop by. Thanks.

Jim

TheRaven
11-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I've been watching....fantastic!

chaz
11-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Jim, after two barrels, fat, dumb, happy. as for 2000--no it's just a nice round number. :lol: and I did start another WIP. it's around here someplace:eek:

Chuck

Gordon's art
12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Chuck Fat, Dumb, and Happy sounds like my inlaws didn't know you knew them

*Deirdre*
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Chuck Fat, Dumb, and Happy sounds like my inlaws didn't know you knew them
Do you want me to book an ambulance now....or will you wait until they find out about this?:evil: :lol:
Jim...you're doing great! :thumbsup:

Gordon's art
12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Deirdre I think i'm safe they haven't the intelligence to work a computer anyway, they thought Sheffield Wednesday was a bank holiday

jlukach
12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Isn't it, gordon?

jlukach
12-01-2007, 04:30 PM
After several days of family business and my own laziness, I'm finally getting back to work on this.
TheRaven Thanks for your comments.
Chuck I'm glad your fat and happy, but not dumb and after your Gummy Bears, my hands are almost to sticky to draw. Yes, I'm glad you started your W.I.P.
*Deirdre* I think you should book one for all of us.:lol: Thanks as always for you whit, always welcome.

Not a great deal of progress but every little bit helps. Working the beard, and I have to say it is slow going. I wish I had the knack for doing fine hair almost fly away. I block them out with my handy dandy electric eraser then do some negative drawing to thin them out. I wish I knew how others do their fine hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2007/11868-homeless_4_wc.jpg

Thank y'all for hanging with me.

Jim

Gordon's art
12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Jim what can I say about this that hasn't been said before (let me think) rubbish, terrible, waste of time,lol.
serious now this is one of if not the best drawing you have done and I for one am so proud of what you have achieved well done my friend and if it wasn't for me , Ken and Chuck drinking you dry we would all raise a glass to a job well done and thats before you finish the drawing

Printmakerguy
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Jim- I hadn't seen this in a while- It is looking GREAT!

Janby
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Jim, this is looking great :clap: :clap: In fact, I find his glare a bit scary :eek:
It's as if he's warning the photographer to "go away!!!" (That's a bit more polite than what I actually thought he was thinking :lol: :eek: )

jlukach
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Gordon Well Gordon, rubbish, terrible, waste of time,lol., may be what this gentleman is thinking. But hopefully not you. Thanks for your wonderful dialog through all this. Helps to keep this thread from getting boring. (by the way Ken's mixing up a batch of lemon drops)
Andrew Thanks for stopping and taking a peak at this. Are you on your ship again? Lots of bad weather I hear.
JanbyIt's probably what you actually thought he was thinking. Interesting perspective on this. I don't really mean to scare people(except Gordon). Just trying to tell the story the way it is out there. Thank you so much once again for your insight. Have a "lemon drop".

Jim

Indyviews
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
You're coming along just fine with this one Jim and the beard is looking good...you'll get it..just keep jabbing.

jlukach
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Steve Thank you, but it's artist like you that keep me motivated.

I think I'm going to call this done. When I started this he was kind of scary and full of emotion. As time went on he mellowed a bit, and now he's not such a bad guy. He may be telling the photographer what Jan thinks he's telling him, but he's had a hard life and maybe has the right to. This man represents a segment of society most of us stay clear of. There are more of him than we care to think about, and they are as real and relevant as you and I.
One thing I've learned from this exercise is stay away from to much "oh be joyful". I have much more respect for those who use techniques that I previously stayed away from. I have discovered that I can combine blending and circulism in the same drawing and it works. Thanks to you guys I am still learning, so thank y'all. Now I'm going to go have a "lemon drop", care to join me.

Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2007/11868-homeless_final_wc.jpg

aaces
12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
A lemon drop sounds good :thumbsup:
I would have to say that you captured ALOTof emotion.
Well Done....WELL DONE indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Are you going to do another from your selection of photos? You should :thumbsup:
( by the way....the jacket....looks Dang good! Hardly mentioned....but noticed :thumbsup: )

SparrowHawk7
12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
This came out extremely well, Jim.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Make sure you leave the pills in the container before testing the Lemon Drop/O Be Joyful. You get entirely too excited if you don't. :rolleyes:

Dougwas
12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Great drawing Jim. As I told you before, this drawing makes you stop and think. Well done. It is also nice to see that even some one with your talent is still willing to try new things. I am looking forward to your next one. Thanks again for sharing.

Doug

electricajun
12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Jim, I've been watching this progress, and again, you guys in this forum are unbelievable. I can practically feel the texture of the hat and beard. I especially like how you cropped this drawing. It really intensifies the feeling you were trying to produce. It's a very touching and real condition we should all be more aware of, especially with the holidays approaching. Thanks for sharing.
Ron

Janby
12-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Great finish Jim :clap: :clap: :clap:
I've really enjoyed watching this one emerge (even if he is a bit scary, lol). He does look like he's had a hard time and you've certainly captured that here. As Allan said, the jacket and hat are really well done, too. You sort of don't see them so much because you're so drawn in by his eyes.
Great job, Jim and I'm looking forward to your next project :thumbsup:

emad
12-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Amazing finish Jim..

This is truly beautiful.. i loved it very much.. I am always a fan of old people portraits and this is diffinately one of my favorites of yours..

thumbs up to you Jim

joane
12-28-2007, 08:23 AM
This turned out superbly, Jim--I don't find him scary, but then I have worked with people like him for years--I think I even see a bit of a sardonic grin there! They usually do have quite a story to tell and you have told so much of his story in this protrait. congratulations!

Ozone
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Jim,

First time I have seen this one Jim, very good job. Are you better than gordon now?

Ozone

jlukach
12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Ozone I think I can honestly say that I'll never be as god as gordon. You realize of course I say that with my fingers crossed behind my back. Thanks for stopping by.

Jim

*Deirdre*
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I've moved this thread here in memory of the fine artist, and former guide and Moderator. His many Weekly Drawing Threads will be fondly remembered by those he helped...and the fine artist he was is recognised here.