PDA

View Full Version : Egg Tempera - Category Description

Axl
09-07-2002, 12:04 AM
I though I'd post another link in here to another thread in a different forum. I have come to realize that there is a lot of people who know their egg tempera in this forum.

Please go here and tell me what you think. please? :D

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58811

thanx!

Axl
09-07-2002, 12:54 AM
Well, maybe I'll add something else to this thread too... Here is the description so far for Alkyds. Please tell me what you think/what needs to be added/corrected... I'm sure you've heard my pleads all before lmao

Alkyds are a relatively new kind of paint. Generally being the cross between Oil and Acrylic, they are thinned with turpentine or other solvents, while still retain a fast drying time.
The alkyd colors are made with an alkyd resin binder. This binder has been modified with a non-yellowing drying oil for obtain optimum color retention, great durability, and to achieve its rapid drying time. The paints tend to be much creamer and easier to blend than acrylics, while waxier than oils. Also, they are often not as dense and opaque as oils (although this depends on the color). Depending on the thickness of the layer of paint applied to the surface, it usually takes about half a day for the paint to dry - meaning the artist has the time to really work the paint, while drying fast enough that the painting can be completed in a reasonably short amount of time.
These paints can be worked with both brushes and painting knives, either on primed hardboard or canvases. Also, they are ideal for work with other more traditional oil painting media.