PDA

View Full Version : Water Mixable Oils Do you like them?

blue bird
10-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I did a search but nothing happened but a blank page.

I'm considering changing to water mixable oils.

Any one use these and what do you think of them?

Nina

dollardays
10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Try the WMO -- watermixable oils sub-forum-- lots of information there.
Here is a link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=478

dcorc
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I've moved this thread to the WMO subforum, as this is where those with most experience of using them are.

I'd suggest that, the way you phrased the question, the person best suited to answer it is actually yourself. Why not get a small number of tubes and actually try them, do some comparisons for yourself, to see how they fit into your way of working.

Also - at the top of the main Oils forum, there is a FAQ (frequently asked questions) thread - including links to several threads where pros and cons of WMO oils were discussed, and a variety of opinions expressed.

Dave

blue bird
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you! I'll look there.

blue bird
10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I've moved this thread to the WMO subforum, as this is where those with most experience of using them are.

I'd suggest that, the way you phrased the question, the person best suited to answer it is actually yourself. Why not get a small number of tubes and actually try them, do some comparisons for yourself, to see how they fit into your way of working.

Also - at the top of the main Oils forum, there is a FAQ (frequently asked questions) thread - including links to several threads where pros and cons of WMO oils were discussed, and a variety of opinions expressed.

Dave
Thanks for your quick reply. I never used these kinds of oils and was thinking of buying a small supply to see if I'd like them.

dcorc
10-10-2009, 02:21 PM
The link to the FAQs is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235455

the threads on Water-Miscible Oils (which predate the setting up of this subforum), are some way down the post there.

Dave

blue bird
10-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Everyone.

karenlee
10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Blue Bird,
For myself, I got water miscible oils (Grumbacher MAX) because years ago I had quit oil painting on account of turpentine fumes. Now with water miscible oils, I don't have to keep turpentine around for medium or for cleaning my brushes. While it is true one can avoid turpentine with regular oil paints, water miscible oil is about 10 times easier to clean up than regular oils using soap and water (or oil and then soap and water). I still use a couple regular oils on my palette too, and when clean up time comes, I can sure tell which is which. I can not tell the difference on the finished paintings. So yes, I like water miscible oils, because I am painting in oil again! which I never thought I would!
-Karen

brynmr
10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I use Winsor & Newton WMOs. Love them!

HankB
10-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I did a search but nothing happened but a blank page.

I'm considering changing to water mixable oils.

Any one use these and what do you think of them?

Nina
What are you changing from?

I'm new to WMO myself. I'm an acrylic painter but decided to give them a shot for plein air painting.

couturej
10-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I love, love, love them!!!! Easy clean up, blend great, no need for harsh solvents and I'm able to use them anywhere.

jeffreywp
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I teach at the high school level and have turned on other teachers to wso since regular oils are being phased out of a lot of school programs due to toxicity and environmental issues. That said ...

I teach projects using acrylic, watercolor and water-soluble oils. Even with retarders, I find my students complain about acrylics. They tend to be even more frustrated with watercolor because it requires more control than they have presently (i.e., skill level). WSOs give my novice painters a little more grace to get accustomed to painting their subject, making mistakes and recovering.

Personally, I love them. I don't feel cheated having switched. I've taken classes and the instructors have all asked about them and were pleasantly surprised with the results. Get yourself a starter set and start painting.

kbaxterpackwood
11-06-2009, 12:26 AM
WN Artisans so far I love them, I'm reading about other brands and may try some of them as well.

Kimberly