PDA

View Full Version : My new babies!!!

chookbrown
09-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Woohoo!! my new Van Gogh Fine Art Pencils just arrived from Texas -- ordered them while down at CPSA convention.

60 colors and they have the stars on them which tell you what level of light fastness they have.

This might be old news for some of you but new to me.

* -- at least 25 years lightfast under museum conditions
** -- at least 75 years lightfast under museum conditions
***-- at least 150 years lightfast under museum conditions

The brochure says that since we don't have museum conditions at home they have opted to only produce pencils with a ** or *** star rating - how nice of them!! ;)

They have a very nice, creamy consistency when going on the paper and the sales guy (yeah, I know) told me that they do not have the wax bloom issues of Prismas. Prisma's are supposed to be wax all the way thru but these only have wax around the outside - don't quote me.

Here are my new babies!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2002/vangoghs.jpg

Now, to get drawing!!

Colleen :D :D :D

ZB3
09-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Congratulations on your new pencils! There's nothing like getting new pencils, is there? :)

I've never heard of a Van Gogh set. Which company produces those?

Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Jan

JustjoGA
09-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Wow!! Neat CP setup, Colleen... I like the case they've come in.

chookbrown
09-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by reverie
Congratulations on your new pencils! There's nothing like getting new pencils, is there? :)

I've never heard of a Van Gogh set. Which company produces those?

Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Jan

Jan, they are made by Royal Talens in Holland and their website is www.talens.com

Colleen :)

Koert
09-06-2002, 04:31 PM
i've got the same pencils (although not all of them) and i really like them

chookbrown
09-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jo!! Can't wait to finish what I am working on now and test drive these babies!!

Koert - glad to hear you like them. I only got to try one at the trade show but it seemed real nice. I based my decision on that one pencil!!

Colleen :D

funnybuggy
09-07-2002, 09:47 AM
Shoot! I was just at my favorite art store yesterday for a shopping spree and they had these on sale! I should have picked them up, but got the WC pencils instead. I believe you can order them online too for the sale price at http://www.artstores.com/webcatalog/02fall/index.icl?orderidentifier=icat_orderid&pgdir=draw

Hope this helps!
Shawna

ironhorse
09-07-2002, 08:46 PM
OOo they look cool. Interesting about the wax. Are you going to do a test strip to try it out?

Funny I was just in Holland and did not see these anywhere?

Twyla

chookbrown
09-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ironhorse
OOo they look cool. Interesting about the wax. Are you going to do a test strip to try it out?

Funny I was just in Holland and did not see these anywhere?

Twyla

Hey Twyla,

I was going to do a test strip using the dark browns that I normally use for wood etc, so I'll post the results after I'm done.

Colleen :)

TeAnne
09-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Neato :) Those tom art oes look good :)

Elankat
09-08-2002, 11:05 AM
You know, I almost bought a case of 15 of these the other day at Utrecht. I just liked the super cool case and remembered that you liked them...but 15 colors didn't seem like enough and I didn't see any more.

ZB3
09-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the link, Colleen. :)

I hope they're right about no wax bloom. If that's true, I'll be a true fan of Van Gogh. I love the brilliance of Prismacolors, but I hate the dull covering that has developed over My First Colored Pencil Piece. :D

Gotta get it in gear and spray, I guess.

Jan