PDA

View Full Version : Mess break

wolverillo
10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Pen & Marker on bond paper. 11x8.5 inches. Study to understand how to compose a busy object so the details do not make it too noisy.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2009/34722-Evening_mess_break_on_board_shrimper.JPG

Marty C
10-09-2009, 10:24 PM
This is a good study, Ardy, all the essentials are there so it's interesting without being cluttered.

mooz49
10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Great study Ardy ....I really like it ....gorgeous ship!

climber-man
10-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Looks like a nice study. What were your biggest discoveries in how to achieve your desired result?

wolverillo
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Okay, I'll start with Brian.
The first thing I learned.... the pen & markers forces you to simplify your composition but still lets you work fast and loose. The second thing...
By using a limited palette your colour mass problems appear earlier. And finally, the pen & marker sketch allows you to scan it into a cg program to play with the colours.

Now Anne, you are always too kind but, I can feel you really have more to say. I really do want to learn so don't hold back. The only way I can do that is if I'm told when I'm wrong or can do it a better way. Your opinions and suggestions are not just important but often exciting revelations. BTW do you think most artist daydream into the painting while they work?

Marty,... I've been struggling with your suggestion on "Ice Coming". So forgive me if I'm a little entimidated about correcting it. This whole painting seems fragile to me and I'm afraid I'll just end up with another drawing on my "mistake" wall. But you are my greatest inspiration so I'll do the best I can. BTW "War Concil" is slowly coming along. And the suggestions you and the crew have made helped to improve the scale and perspective problems with "Mess Call".

Anthony,...I was trying to record a sign of the times. More and more marinas are being forced to close now and only a few lonely sailors live aboard to still endure a lonesome anchorage. The snowy hills and the flat thin matt of ice on the water takes the gloss off the water and dulls the reflections. That was what I was trying to achive. Perhaps the painting is a metaphor for us "old salts" still at anchorange. With most of our shipmates passing there are fewer and fewer ships in the bay now to form up a regatta to cruise to warmer climes.

Thank you all and good night,

Ardy

bobsart
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
No conflict here. Everything works as is, in my view. I'd like to see this get to the canvas................bob