PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

kazmik
02-08-2001, 02:16 PM
One of the people in the painting group I attend covers the back of his paintings with a thin piece of board (nailed to the stretchers), he has a hole about 2inch diametre cut in the board so that air can still circulate round the canvas.

I haven't tried this myself as I use board to paint on but he has been doing this fo years & it seems to work for him.

Good luck.

carly
02-08-2001, 09:45 PM
You could also cover the back of the frame with the heavier brown paper...much like you fine with watercolors. This would keep the light from shining thru and there is no reason to put a hole in the paper for breathing since paper breathes itself.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

carly
02-08-2001, 09:48 PM
Oh yes, I meant to say that cardboards and brown paper (the heavy wrapping kind) are not archival (acid free)...that's why you want to put them on the outside of the frame and not against the painting.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

campsart
02-09-2001, 12:13 AM
Nobody seems to want to respond to this on the oil painting threads.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be okay to apply a thin coat or two of acrylic gesso to the back of stretched canvas either before or after a painting is completed in oil, alkyd or acrylic. I've noticed that when my work is displayed in bright light such as daylight, places on my canvas where paint was applied more thinly any backlight behind the canvas comes through. This disturbs me because if one was to view my work in more subtle light everything looks opaque and nice. In bright light I have to position the work in such a way that the light does not show through and I find that to be frustrating. I thought an application of gesso to the back would help. Does the back of stretched canvas need to breath. I'm not sure being how a canvas panel is covered I thought it wouldn't matter if I covered the back of the untreated stretched canvas.

Anyone's expert opinion would be greatly appreciated...

LDianeJohnson
02-09-2001, 12:33 AM
I don't recommend coating the back of any painting with gesso. I know about the problem you're speaking of. I can recommend however, that you take a sheet of corrigated cardboard, cut the corners off, and staple to the back of the canvas. This will solve the lighting problem and still allow air to circulate between the board and painting. It's not a long term solution, but good for displays, shows and the like.
Diane

VictoriaS
02-09-2001, 12:39 AM
Diane: I have a related question. If I have been overly "inspired by" (copied) a painting, I want to be able to indicate somewhere on the back of the painting that it is "After So-and-so." I've thought about painting an area of the back (not the entire back) with gesso and painting the comment over it. Or sometimes I don't want to sign the front of a painting. But would you not recommend that? Would you maybe do it in charcoal and spray fixative over it?

Thanks for your advice. Your paintings are very beautiful.

Victoria