PDA

View Full Version : Reflections: One Year Later

scottb
09-06-2002, 12:23 AM
We are re-opening this forum today, September 6, 2002, to allow everyone to post followup messages, your thoughts, and reflections, one year later.

We will close it again on 9/11/2002.

Scott

surreal
09-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Many of the New Yorkers that I know, myself included, still feel vulnerable.

arlene
09-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by surreal
Many of the New Yorkers that I know, myself included, still feel vulnerable.

very much so...

reynolds
09-07-2002, 02:39 AM
please know that i have sent oodles of gentle thoughts your way and will continue to do so as we move forward thru this tragedy as individuals and a country.

surreal
09-07-2002, 02:50 AM
That is very nice Reynolds.
:)

JustjoGA
09-07-2002, 09:08 AM
It's a year since the American people lost loved ones, friends,... and their sense of security. For myself, that week brought extreme change also. I experienced the "joy" of being downsized from my job on Friday after the events of 9/11. Two traumas in one week was a lot to handle. I watched as the horror unfolded, then watched as first the people of New York, and then the people of the whole country rallied to begin recovery from unspeakable terror never before experienced by the people of the USA. So I sat down, thought out a plan, made a "To Do" list, and for the next 3 months prepared to close a household in a state on one side of the country and move all the way across to the other side. On December 23, 2001, my son and I and a U-Haul truck brought my life to a new beginning... in north Georgia. America.... will stand forever.

Gilberte
09-07-2002, 01:53 PM
JustjoGa : you seem to be a wonderful courageous, optimistic, realistic and active lady.
To all, at this period we are overflowed in Europe by all television stations with last year's terrible event. We participate in your feelings.

BAM
09-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Peace to all

Fidget
09-08-2002, 03:38 PM
One year later, the shock and sorrow is still there.

Due to my in home daycare, I didn't have the news on. Then the phone calls started from husband, sons and daughter.
While the little ones were quietly playing, I turned on the t.v. just as the second plane hit the W.T.T. Unable to be tuned in, the vacuum was hard.

Some parents, showed up early. Other needed to talk with their children.
We all agreed they were too young to understand and sheltered them from what was going on.
The older school children of the neighbourhood had the whole community helping them. Most needed to know they where safe.

10 days later, 600 high school students from all across Canada were to meet in Nova Scotia for a National Student Leadership Conference. One was my daughter. Never been on a plane before. With support from friends and family she went.

Our American bothers and sister to the south has shown us not only just how a neighbourhood but a whole nation can over come such a tragedy.
You make us proud, all over the world.

DraigAthar
09-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Scott, for opening the forum back up for a brief time.

Our friend and next-door neighbor, Tom Kuveikis, was one of the firefighters killed at the WTC. His body was never found and his family have only now decided to hold a memorial service for him, so we will be attending that next Saturday. So I suppose this is how I will be marking the 'occasion' of the one year after date ... finally saying goodbye to Tom.

My love and thoughts go to all who need them, right about now.

Amy

meriadoc
09-09-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm not meaning to start any wars with this, in fact, thats one thing i hope won't happen.

In remembering the fallen. Remember also the people that died in the Pentagon, the people that died in the plane crash in Pennsylvania, remember the people from the other countries that died in these attacks.

As an 'outsider' (ie not actually an American - and not in America), i've been noticing a "its just America that was affected and no one else" attitude in the media, the internet, many of the boards that i go to, the radio, the television.

Yes. It was a tragedy. A very big tragedy. A loss of thousands of lives in an instant is catastrophic.

The World Trade Centre symbolised more than just a great big new york building that held many people day after day, it also represented the world. 200 or so Australians for instance, died in those towers. There were Englishmen, Asians, Italians also. Not just Americans.

Its hard on the free world. Very hard. So please remember the fallen from the other countries when you remember your fallen citizens.

I'm going to the US Consulate here in Perth, Western Australia on Wednesday to lay a bunch of flowers. Then, I'm off to the firefighters memorial in Kings Park.

I'm not turning on the television at all on Wednesday, the repetition of the horrible footage is too much for me to bear.

I'm sorry that this happened. It hurts me that there is nothing i can say or do to make any pain go away.

-- Lisa
(Australian Citizen, and eventually an American Citizen)

surreal
09-10-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm really glad this thread was opened up.

Intellectually, I know this is crazy, but I worry about the safety of my daughter who works a few blocks away from the Empire State Building in New York.

On 9/11 I'll be a bundle of fear until she arrives at her home safely, after her day at work.

gnu
09-10-2002, 04:27 PM
For us here it's already 9/11...
Know that people all over the world are thinking of those affected closely by this..and you are in our thoughts and prayers as we come to this day , and tomorrow, when it is 9 /11 in US.
hugs
Gill

deevaa
09-11-2002, 01:16 AM
In remembrance and memorial of the lives lost during the Sept 11 attacks I am reposting some of my online journal from September 11 last year -- there aren't any new words -- the following post was made on September 12th, 2001. (NZ time, so the afternoon of Sept 11 in the USA)

I turned the following blog into an email to American Airlines asking where we could send the planes too. That email was forwarded to all managers at American Airlines, many of whom then forwarded it to their customer service staff. I received many emails from the staff thanking me. TK and I made more cardboard planes and we posted them to American Airlines head office, the two original planes were displayed along with a copy of my email/letter and a photo of TK. I believe the other cardboard planes where given out to members of staff who after receiving our email, asked for one of the planes.

Even now, a year later, I'm still getting emails about TK's planes: "... Last year, just after September 11, you sent us a very moving email that detailed the story of your son TK and his experience of September 11, 2001. Your letter was so moving that even a year later the story of TK and his paper planes is still remembered fondly around the embassy..."

(original post begins here)

The American flag outside the American Embassy was put to half mast this morning, the embassy is across the road from TK's créche, he watched, then asked why the flag was being lowered, his teachers explained to him that it was because lots of people had been hurt, and then they (the teachers) suggested that they take flowers over to the Embassy, as a mark of respect.

TK proudly carried his purple flowers forward and placed them under the flag, then stood back and waited while his friends did the same. Then he waited, eyes on the flag.

When his teachers told him it was time to go, he turned back to the teacher and started crying. The teacher asked what the matter was. TK had thought that by putting the flowers under the flag that would make the people better and the flag would therefore rise again.

He also made 2 cardboard planes and asked me to send them to replace the ones 'the bad men' had broken.

Needless to say, I'm proud.

Geoff
09-11-2002, 06:55 AM
A simple prayer is all I can offer :

God grant us the serenity
to accept the things
we cannot change,
the things we can
and the wisdom to know
the difference.

I can remember where I was when I heard the news 1 year ago. Hardly a day has gone by, since, when something - no matter how small - has brought the images back to mind.

It is bright and sunny here on this side of the pond, 'twas a similar day back then. I hope and pray that this day shall pass unmarked, as that one did not.
To all WC'ers who were especially effected, I extend my deepest thoughts to you and all.

May all our gods be with us.

Geoff

Studio224
09-11-2002, 07:34 AM
It's been one year but I still feel the pain, and I am still hearing thousands of voice screaming in fear, and then silence...

My thoughts go out to all the families, from whatever nationality, that have lost loved ones in this tragedy.

I did 2 paintings last year after it happened and about what happened. But I haven't been able to express in painting this screaming that I still hear. I am not ready.

llis
09-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Today I am remembering all the events of 9-11-01. I was on the road and listened to the radio the entire day only being able to construct my own images of what was happening. That night and the days to follow I watched on the televisoin the horrible news clips. America and the world changed that day.

Yes, my small life has changed as well. I think I'm more cautious and I do realize even deeper just how precious each of our lives are. I thank God for all my friendships and for our country and the peace that he gives me.

Peace to New York, and to the world.