PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Corners Pond

Sketchcny
10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
This is 16x20 on White Wallis with a watercolor underpainting. Rembrandt, Unison, & Great American.

Looking for C&C. Note: the blues look more vibrant in the image than they do in the actual painting.

This is the watercolor underpainting. After it dried, I found that some of the values were off, particularly in the sky and water ..... they were a bit too dark.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/63737-DSC02874_crop.jpg

And this is the final piece....... there are sections where I left the underpainting exposed, particularly in the water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/63737-DSC02973.JPG

creatividee
10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Quite a transformation! I usually go the picture first and when I saw all the drips ...well I thought maybe I ended up in the abstract forum so I scrolled back and saw no I was in pastels. Then I read your post and went on down to the finished product and needless to say I was impressed. Really like your use of color and the way built up from the underpainting! Nice work.

PETE K
10-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Great piece, but have to agree with Dee i did the same.

marpeters55
10-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Beautiful and vibrant colors!

Donna T
10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Very nice painting Paul! Thanks for showing your underpainting - I think it's just beautiful with all those drips and runs. It's funny that you say that some of the colors were too dark. My attempts at watercolor usually fail because I don't go dark enough and the paint seems to lighten as it dries. I love the colors in your pastels - especially the marsh grasses. Could those grasses possibly be a tiny bit brighter to separate that area more from the trees behind them and differentiate the orange from those distant trees? Maybe just a few 'sparks' of bright orange and intense yellow-green? Just a thought - I know it all depends on the lighting and what you want the main focus to be. I'm glad this underpainting technique is working so well for you.

DAK723
10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Nicely done!

Don

granddad
10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Nice, I like your technique, james

Mario V
10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
The finished piece is great but I also enjoyed watching the underpainting :)

Colourist52
10-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Love your use of such vibrant colours and the sky is great!

Kathryn Wilson
10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
A glorious painting - love the touches of magenta in the grasses.

But, I am thinking the sky may be a bit busy - I think your focal point is a bit confused because my eye is drawn away from the marsh and water to the bright colors in the sky.

Thanks for sharing the watercolor underpainting - it's my favorite technique too.

Dcam
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow: The Loosey goosey underpainting transformed to a super pastel painting.....I like all of it, color composition, mood. Very nice. Derek

Sketchcny
10-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I have to laugh about the impact of abstract underpainting ..... I will try to post that second next time so as not to mislead anyone.

Donna - I think those are wonderful suggestions. I am glad you liked the underpainting. I specifically thought of you when I was putting together the post, and made certain I included the underpainting. :)

Kathryn - Thank you for the comment about focal points. That was bothering me, as well, but the friends I showed it to at home thought it was fine. I'm glad to hear another artist say the focal points are confusing, in particular because of the sky arrangement. I think I'm going to rework that subtly so it is not so distracting.

If anyone else has a critique or suggestions, they are still welcome.

I have another underpainting on the easel, and am prepping new sheets of Wallis today, so I'll have a few new paintings to share in the coming weeks.

Merethe T
10-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Lovely piece, the trees and grasses are really well done, and the water is gorgeous! I'm with Kathryn on this, the sky seem to take attention away from the water and trees, and could be toned down. But it's a lovely piece - and I look forward to see your new paintings!

Colorix
10-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Love the colours! Beautiful scene. Agree with the others on sky, it does grab attention. The sky-reflections in the water works great.

Charlie

annette71
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Very nice work...your underpainting is very interesting, specially the drip part.

Annette

saramathewson
10-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow, my comment never showed up!

I just wanted to say that this is gorgeous and that the underpainting worked very well. I don't think it was too dark at all!

Great job:)

Sara

aolaranora
10-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Oh, so pretty!
I totally love this one. And underpainting is looking like fun too... I should try it someday. ;-)

Dougwas
10-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Being a colour geek, I love all the colours in this, Paul. I love it all. Beautiful. Thanks for showing the under painting.

Doug