PDA

View Full Version : October 2009 - Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

GOSH
10-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Hello, oil pastelists extraordinaire!
Here is your challenge for October. As usual, you can manipulate, change and extend beyond what is in any of the pictures to your hearts content, there are no limits.

Mount Hood, Oregon in all its Winter glory, a magnificent day:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/143278-S7300362_.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/143278-S7300388_.JPG
The tools that helped built a gigantic lodge (Timberline Lodge) almost at the top of Mount Hood. Very solid. Until the time the mountain erupts and destroys everything:evil:

And last, but not least, the obligatory dingy on the water we've come to expect every month :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/143278-S7300679_.JPG

May the October challenge begin!!:clap:

Pat Isaac
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for hosting this month, Gosh. Great pictures and I can wait awhile before I see the snow that is on Mt. Hood.

Pat

GOSH
10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
My pleasure. I've been waiting for this time for over a year! LOL

bchlvr
10-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Nice photos...I really like the snow scene.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-02-2009, 08:03 AM
LOVE the snow scene, but the naval boat looks intriguing!!!!!

oldrockchick
10-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh dear I'm going to have to order more WHITE --- :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lovely winter scene though, I can't wait to have a go at that.
Like the masonry in the anvil one too - that is a must do!
You just know I LOVE boats.....:eek: ... will I have enough white left after the snow scene???????

Can't afford another online order this month I have to pay 60 for my 'Speed Awareness' Course and also have a birthday and a wedding. So when the white runs out that's it... nowhere sells open stock OPS round here... it's like a desert.
(Hmm actually Hobby grapft sell FC studio loose but they are hard as all heck!)

Thanks for hosting,.

halthepainter
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Can't afford another online order this month I have to pay 60 for my 'Speed Awareness' Course and also have a birthday and a wedding.

Well "Leadfoot Lin" you have to ease up on the hotrodding so you'll have more money for the necessities of life, such as more white oillies. :evil:
I just received my order of 6 white Senns along with my thirty canvasses.

Gosh your challenge looks like fun for this Shellback.

GOSH
10-02-2009, 11:53 AM
:evil: Oh dear I'm going to have to order more WHITE --- :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lovely winter scene though, I can't wait to have a go at that.
Like the masonry in the anvil one too - that is a must do!
You just know I LOVE boats.....:eek: ... will I have enough white left after the snow scene???????

Can't afford another online order this month I have to pay 60 for my 'Speed Awareness' Course and also have a birthday and a wedding. So when the white runs out that's it... nowhere sells open stock OPS round here... it's like a desert.
(Hmm actually Hobby grapft sell FC studio loose but they are hard as all heck!)

Thanks for hosting,.

Speeding Awareness? Is that what they call it now? LOL

The snow scene hardly has any white if you look closely. It's mostly shades of blue and you can leave the white of the paper to work for you - just a suggestion. I'm still looking for my gigantic stick of white op I have somewhere in a box and I think I can do without the white pastel for the mountain. I'm going to use the blending transparent stick and see how it comes out.

Your limit is your imagination:thumbsup:

GOSH
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Well "Leadfoot Lin" you have to ease up on the hotrodding so you'll have more money for the necessities of life, such as more white oillies. :evil:
I just received my order of 6 white Senns along with my thirty canvasses.

Gosh your challenge looks like fun for this Shellback.

Thirty? :eek:

GOSH
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
LOVE the snow scene, but the naval boat looks intriguing!!!!!

Yes it does, doesn't it? There are so many ways to make it happen that will end up being awesome paintings.
I did mine last night. Didn't do much detailing but somewhere in another thread someone mentioned dutch light style painting and I got this done.

I was going to be a little more detailed but I can't find my oil pencils, so it's Senneliers #'s 21, 39, 98,94; 6"x18" Strathmore 140lb wc paper; layer of primer; pencil and linseed oil. I have in my head several ideas for this picture (I hope some of them have some degree of originality).

No excuses Linn, October will go faster than you drive :evil:

Thank you all for liking the pictures.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2009/143278-S7300904_.JPG

halthepainter
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Thirty? :eek:

Canvas sell you know. I hope I live long enough to paint all of them.

I love your take on the naval vessel. It's very atmospheric. (lindseed oil, hugh??)

GOSH
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Canvas sell you know. I hope I live long enough to paint all of them.

I love your take on the naval vessel. It's very atmospheric. (lindseed oil, hugh??)

I wouldn't know where to store that many around here. I'm tripping over the stuff I have.
Thanks for the review, the yellow is actually brighter and the brown is browner. The green I'm not so sure now but it all seems to work ok. I'll definitely add some more detailing when I find the oil pencils.

Weezy
10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Navy vessels are always in the harbor here. I get used to seeing them. Although this piece is anything but mundane. Very nice work.

But snow is not commonplace here in So Cal. Love that one. I can see it as a late afternoon view with lavenders and peaches in the snow......I know good drugs, right?

Maybe while I'm laid up, I'll try that one. Thanks for the challenge GOSH. The pictures are good.

Pat Isaac
10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Really like the feel of this Gosh and I like the format.

Pat

acvlangas
10-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the great references! I am a newbie to oil pastel, so I look forward to trying these out. Your piece is really great, the format is very well suited to the style and subject. As the wife of a navy man, I appreciate so much what you have done with it! The atmosphere really makes the piece something special.

Amber Vlangas

GOSH
10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Navy vessels are always in the harbor here. I get used to seeing them. Although this piece is anything but mundane. Very nice work.

But snow is not commonplace here in So Cal. Love that one. I can see it as a late afternoon view with lavenders and peaches in the snow......I know good drugs, right?

Maybe while I'm laid up, I'll try that one. Thanks for the challenge GOSH. The pictures are good.

Thanks Weezy. You can see a snowy mountain, fields of lavender and peaches on your way to the mountain here since the snow only sticks around the high areas for the most part. And yes, they have good drugs here too. :evil: :lol: Looking forward to seeing your challenge, weezy.

Art Pie
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Well Gosh, I think you have another 'taker' on these scenes (or at least one anyway). Can't make up my mind which one to do first :rolleyes:

I'll see which of your Oct refs I can squeeze in between trying a portrait that I'm experimenting with ;)

Your navy boat is great by the way. I've never come across that size pad before (or did you just chop a pad in half lengthways?).

Scarefishcrow
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the great references! I am a newbie to oil pastel, so I look forward to trying these out. Your piece is really great, the format is very well suited to the style and subject. As the wife of a navy man, I appreciate so much what you have done with it! The atmosphere really makes the piece something special.

Thanks very much for that kind feedback, Amber. We try to make this a place where ANYONE of ANY skill level can find help and encouragement. All you have to do is ask. This is one of the greatest bunch of online friends you could ever find.

Amber Vlangas

AMBER, welcome to the Oil Pastel channel and forums, We are always ready to welcome another OP'er to the family.

Have you worked in other media but not OP? I'm going to leave some info below to help you find out how this channel and all its subforums are organized and look forward to seeing your work!
Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
GOSH, your piece is great and I like the panoramic view. Is this a new phase???? GOSH's panorama phase!:confused:

RG probably nipped the pencils you need!

Thanks SOOOOO much for hosting and the GREAT ref shots, Maybe my studio will get organized in time for at least one (of course the many engagements on my social calender since this month is my birthday (hint, hint) might interfere!)

Love your painting.

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

Scarefishcrow
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
BTW, if you see HERB, I'd keep a close eye on those tools if I were you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

eyepaint
10-02-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2009/143278-S7300904_.JPG

This is stunning! Love the "aspect ratio" format.

truck driver
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I have to kick my thoughts out there I wont usually comment on Gosh's artwork, well because its better to tell her in person :)

However the colours are not well represented in the photo, this piece is stunning...

RG

P.S.

I DIDNT STEAL THE PENCILS......

Weezy
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Actually one of the things I like the best about thatpiece, GOSH is the palette you used. Its amazingly rich. And its a very personal one.

GOSH
10-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks, eyepaint.
Weezy, thanks once again, I don't know about rich since the colors used are limited in number.

I'm expecting something real good from you both :cool: because I know you can do some awesome paintings.

GOSH
10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I have to kick my thoughts out there I wont usually comment on Gosh's artwork, well because its better to tell her in person :)

However the colours are not well represented in the photo, this piece is stunning...

RG

P.S.

Hold on, the month has just started. I'm absolutely sure there is better to come.

P.S.

yes you did

oldrockchick
10-03-2009, 07:04 AM
GOSH this is lovely I really like the format too with the panoramic landscape. The colours are so beautifully atmospheric

Scarefishcrow
10-03-2009, 11:27 AM

If that isn't a classic example of self serving flattery I don't know what is!

Of course you are right it is stunning! :D
RG

P.S.

Search the cab of his truck thoroughly, GOSH.

:evil: :heart: :music: :heart: :evil:

Scarefishcrow
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
P.S.

yes you did:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GOSH, did you just happen to pick up a panoramic pad of paper on sale?

:evil:

I better shut up or she'll be telling me if I spent as much time painting as I do wisecracking I might get something done I could post. :o

(How's that for a premptive rhetorical strike?_
:wave: Hi EP, Long time no see!

BILL

Pat Isaac
10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi EP....:wave:

Pat

oldrockchick
10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi EP

lol I see him all the time over on WDE :P

eyepaint
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Bill, Pat, and Lin :)

eyepaint
10-03-2009, 08:54 PM
7x10" wc paper coated with colourfix primer (terracotta). Sennelier OPs, six or seven colours used.

Cheers,

oldrockchick
10-03-2009, 10:01 PM
7x10" wc paper coated with colourfix primer (terracotta). Sennelier OPs, six or seven colours used.

Cheers,

Sorry EP can't see it...
It shows as an attachment number and when I click it says it is 'invalid'

Scarefishcrow
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Cheers,

EP, only get "Invalid Attachment" message. Is this attachment linked to something in a controlled area? If so then others can't access it. (did same thing myself not long ago!!:o )

Bill

eyepaint
10-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Oops! Sorry, will try it again.

Please let me know if it works for you. Fingers crossed....

Scarefishcrow
10-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Yes, it worked that time. Uniquely EP.

You know, I debated that flagpole and finally decided it was on the far short not the boat. The flag typicall woulf fly from a mast amidship or the stern, I think.

Bill

GOSH
10-04-2009, 03:31 AM

Hi, eyepaint! Nice twist to the reference: you turned the shore made of concrete into a wooden pier and a military ship into a cruise liner. Has a bit of a tropical feel to it. I wish you had used more the blocks of blue and other strong colors you are famous for.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-04-2009, 05:01 AM
GOSH this is BEAUTIFUL, LOOOOVE the panoramic (sp?) view, especially like the mood that ou achiceved, VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Shirl Parker
10-04-2009, 09:55 AM
....I better shut up or she'll be telling me if I spent as much time painting as I do wisecracking I might get something done I could post....

Excuse me---that's MY job!

Pat Isaac
10-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Nice take on the ship EP and nice to see you posting here.

Pat

GOSH
10-04-2009, 09:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GOSH, did you just happen to pick up a panoramic pad of paper on sale?

:evil:

I better shut up or she'll be telling me if I spent as much time painting as I do wisecracking I might get something done I could post. :o

(How's that for a premptive rhetorical strike?_
:wave: Hi EP, Long time no see!

BILL

:evil: LOL

Actually I got two pads of this format at the Columbia Art Store in Portland. Can't remember exactly, but they attracted me since I wanted to do some landscape scenes just like http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2009/143278-Cinemascope-logo-3d_.jpg

GOSH
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
GOSH this is BEAUTIFUL, LOOOOVE the panoramic (sp?) view, especially like the mood that ou achiceved, VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Thanks, Stacey. Looking forward to see your work here. :wave:

eyepaint
10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Bill - thanks. Agree about the flagpole. Let's call this version 1

GOSH - thank you. Mmmmm cruise ship .... mmmm tropics .....

Pat - thank you

Ok here's version 2. Maybe this should be called 0.9? Still 7x10" wc paper, primed with terracotta colourfix. GOSH requested something with big blocks of blue so ... how about a BLUE ship? With red windows? On white water? and beside a yellow pier?

Hmmm that hull looks more like a dingy rather than a naval vessel. The number 62 looks more like G2. Hahahaha!

Cheers,

truck driver
10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2009/136518-october_challenge-contour-edge_enhancement..jpg

Digitally Manipulated image above, using photopaint, edge enhancement and contour tracing, converted to grey scale, then to basically a line drawing. I did this because my first attempts at drawing this boat failed miserably..

now I could print this out. Trace it on tracing paper, then transfer it to my support, and at that point I have a coloring exercise..

Thats not what I am going to do though. I will hand draw it from the original image. using this image as a reference for details that get lost in the original..

RG

truck driver
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
This by the way shows conclusively where the flag pole is, it is on the boat.

RG

truck driver
10-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Though I must admit that a p&i drawing of this is possibly in the works due to the way this came out.. If i can find time.

RG

Pat Isaac
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
What an interesting digital image, RG. Mostly leaves the basics of the image.

Pat

halthepainter
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Great job RG, yer gonna have ta larn me how ta do that.

Seriously RG great job, I'll use your version as my reference for this exercise. Thank you.

GOSH
10-05-2009, 09:57 AM

You have a naval fleet, eyepaint. Now it's a Coast Guard patrol boat. :wink2:
What I want to ask is...does it work for you? :)

GOSH
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM

RG

I don't understand why it's confusing. See how far away the other shore is? Imagine a flagpole that big and that high. :)

eyepaint
10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
You have a naval fleet, eyepaint. Now it's a Coast Guard patrol boat. :wink2:
What I want to ask is...does it work for you? :)

RG - thanks for the digi manip. Waaaaay too much detail for the blunt OPs I have

GOSH - ha! Thanks. Neither of these images came out the way I imagined. I like the first piece, but the second one not so much

halthepainter
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Gosh I decided to take some liberties with your wonderful ship photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8194420

Just Kidding. :evil:

truck driver
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
O.k. now wife and I are having a debate concerning the perspective of this image.. she says its 1, i say 3 with the third being off the page.. anybody care to jump in???

RG

Scarefishcrow
10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Excuse me---that's MY job!

Uh, actually, Shirl, I was talking about you when I said that!:lol: :lol:

Bill

Scarefishcrow
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Though I must admit that a p&i drawing of this is possibly in the works due to the way this came out.. If i can find time.

RG

Gee, would that be cheating?????:evil: :lol: :evil:

Never mind, let's not go there!

Bill

Scarefishcrow
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

RG

Though it pains me greatly, RG, I'm afraid I have to admit that you seem to be correct in this!!!:eek:

Bill

Scarefishcrow
10-06-2009, 09:18 PM
O.k. now wife and I are having a debate concerning the perspective of this image.. she says its 1, i say 3 with the third being off the page.. anybody care to jump in???

RG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2009/108067-onep.jpg

Looking pretty much 1 point to me, RG!

Bill

truck driver
10-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Gee, would that be cheating?????:evil: :lol: :evil:

Never mind, let's not go there!

Bill

hmm would using a image as in idea for a drawing be cheating?

No way would I consider tracing it transfering, and drawing it in ink.
If I do do it ink, though I might very well use the image that I created, from a photo that my wife took. To draw from. and that could be considered to be cheating, so could drawing from a photograph.. but enough...
RG

GOSH
10-07-2009, 03:28 AM
Told you it was one point, RG. <sigh>

Mmadsen
10-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Who's the judge on cheating? I continually see articles and posts here where folks are transfering images using every possible source, tracing paper to projectors. Me thinks cheating is in the eye of the becheater. But then again, I'm as professional in art as I am on the golf course. Not very . . . shhhhhh don't tell anyone.

Mark

SammyH
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Having worked with both colored pencil and watercolor, I found it absolutely necessary to do the drawing on a paper other than the one to be used for the painting and then transferring it. I usually use tracing paper since that takes a lot of erasing. If I were to do all that erasing on the final paper, it would ruin the paper and not take the pencil or the watercolor properly.

I agree, Mark, who is judging on cheating? Using photographs is perfectly acceptable as long as it's your photograph or you have permission from the photographer to use it. Again, working with colored pencil is a tedious process and no model could pose that long and no flowers, fruits or vegetable could survive that long. It is most convenient to use a photograph or a series of photographs.

I did five portraits of my neighbor's grandchildren. Believe me, I made no attempt to get them to pose. That unimaginable.

Pat Isaac
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm with you Sammy, as I often do my drawing on another paper and then transfer it, especially if it is a drawing that I know will require a lot of erasing from me.
I am a studio painter so often use photographs, even of my still life set ups of flowers and fruits.....they rot or die before I finish..:rolleyes: :lol:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Perfect example of needing to capture the moment, see some of the fall pics on the Wisconsin River I just posted in the RIL! All actual photos, no digital retouching or filters used!. Anyone want to paint the last few without a photo??

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8202003&postcount=217

Bill

SammyH
10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Fantastic photos, Bill. Thanks for sharing. Every one of them would make a great painting.

halthepainter
10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Great photos Bill.

marieUK
10-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Wonderful photos Bill, what beautiful colours. They just beg to be painted:)
:wave: Marie

GOSH
10-09-2009, 06:22 AM
What beautiful photos, Bill. Beautiful area. Autumn is the most beautiful of seasons.:)

Scarefishcrow
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks to all for their comments on the photos. I'll share some more later. The shoot turned out to be almost perfect for lighting, colors and reflections.

Bill

oldrockchick
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Having worked with both colored pencil and watercolor, I found it absolutely necessary to do the drawing on a paper other than the one to be used for the painting and then transferring it. I usually use tracing paper since that takes a lot of erasing. If I were to do all that erasing on the final paper, it would ruin the paper and not take the pencil or the watercolor properly.

I agree, Mark, who is judging on cheating? Using photographs is perfectly acceptable as long as it's your photograph or you have permission from the photographer to use it. Again, working with colored pencil is a tedious process and no model could pose that long and no flowers, fruits or vegetable could survive that long. It is most convenient to use a photograph or a series of photographs.

I did five portraits of my neighbor's grandchildren. Believe me, I made no attempt to get them to pose. That unimaginable.

I'm with youy on this.

There is nothign worse than trying to work on a surface marked by erroneous lines and erasing marks. Also whn I do oils - just try drawign on stretched canvas!

I also find it a great time saver to sketch it first, then when I'm happy to transfer it rather than sketch it again. I would be so bored I would have lost interest by then. I sketch once to my liking then transfer. Also I tend to use a lot of tram lines and gometric line markers than can show through esp with CPs that are a pain to cover up esp with light CPs.

Not cheating, but a viable technique imo. I still have to do the drawign work first!

As from working from photographs. I dont' get a choice. I dont' have the luxury of a studio or a table/desk I can set things up on and leave them indefinatley. Sometimes I can only work a couple of hours a day. I still have pieces from 3 years ago. I couldnt' leave things in my living room that long. Also my desk faces a wall and my easel faces a window. I do use my OWN phtogrpahic refs except for WC challenges or WDEs. Often I will work on a collection of self taken refs and incorporate them having first made compositional sketches from the photos to alter scalse angles etc.

Degas used photographs. Vermeer used projections. As far as I'm concerned it is the end to a means. Not cheating.

Anyway....

EP - Interesting adaptations. Creativity is what it is all about and the artist interprets as they will. I like both of your versions.

I've not had chance ot work on one yet.... but I will... as soon as I can decide which and I'm not too busy or sleepy to do them justice... The month is still young :wink2:

GOSH
10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Whatever works, as far as I'm concerned. Though, I like to practice drawing objects without looking at them because I am not good at it. It seems to make for a more accurate result that way (for some odd reason). I forgot the name of the technique.
I think photography is making me lazy because not drawing from life, even when subjects move, makes drawing lose some of that appeal.
That is why it's so amazing to see the work of the Impressionists who tried to capture those fleeting moments of light and life.
Right now I feel my wrist is stiff from not practicing what I should. :rolleyes:

Scarefishcrow
10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree with both of you, Lin and Gosh. Then end result is still what is important. I take pictures with composition in mind and the thirds grid displayed in the viewfinder to line things up.

To me that's part of my creative process.

Bill

hollyga
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Cheating ???? H-m-m-m-m - - My husband is an artist, as well - - an artist/blacksmith! His work is accomplished in the old traditional methods and he teaches his art/craft at many locations, including 9 years at local summer camps and another 5 years at a local community college. To quote him - "Cheating is allowed, sometimes even encouraged! The only warning is that you learn the RIGHT traditional way first." What is the right, traditional way for us?? Who knows, but underpainting and sketching are certainly a portion of it, IMHO!

Holly

halthepainter
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum Holly. I hope you'll give the monthly challenges a try.

hollyga
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Hall. I plan to stick around for a while. I tried one oil pastel painting more than 20 years ago (which was relatively successful) but that's the only attempt I've made until the one I posted here last night (WIP "Cozy Kid"). I have a lot more work to do on that one, but I am fairly pleased with the start. I have had a really great time hunkering around in the shadows on this forum for a while, so I guess it's time to come out and play in the sunlight, huh? I still have to work full time to make sure we can eat, but I think I may have time to try at least one of the challenges here.

Holly

Scarefishcrow
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Holly,

I think you put it well. Essentially don't use aids to circumvent learning basic skills. As you say, to break the rules you need to understand why the "rules" evolved in the first place.

Bill

oldrockchick
10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Mount Hood Oregon
14 " x 10.5"
Water Colour paper with Gesso coat applied
Mostly Daler Rowneys and Neopastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2009/179312-OP_Oct_SMt_Hood_Oregon.JPG

Had to take a photo of it as it was too large to scan. To get it without shiny bits I used a museum settign with no flash so it is a little warmer in colour than RL.

I made another version of the photo but used flash this time....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2009/179312-Mt_Hood_Oregon_OP_Oct_09.JPG

halthepainter
10-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow, Linn, Wonderful job.

Pat Isaac
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Fantastic, Lin. I like them both. The first seems as if it is bathed in late aft. sun and the second is a cold chilly winter day.

Pat

GOSH
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Lin, GREAT job! I like the first one with the twilight!:wave:

Shirl Parker
10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Very nice Lin.

oldrockchick
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank ye all for your kind words.
Here is my take on the anvil.

I used some irridescents (including my ancient treasures of the discontinued Irise Senns) to give it a metallic effect. I used a couple of polys to define edges, but the colour work is all OP even on the tools.

Anvil
12" x 9" WC NOT paper with Gesso coat
DRs, Neos and Senns
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2009/179312-OP_Anvil.jpg

Haven't foud the courage to do the difficult one yet.

halthepainter
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow Lin another fantastic job.

GOSH
10-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Wee, WOW Linn!

Great quality work, congratulations! Love the anvil there and the tools are very detailed.:clap:

Great job, great job!

The ship isn't the difficult one, it's the anvil.:cat:

Pat Isaac
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
What nice color. The irids worked well.

Pat

kazuki
10-17-2009, 05:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2009/108067-onep.jpg

Looking pretty much 1 point to me, RG!

Bill

Hi Bill,
I'm new to the forum. Can you please shed some light on what's 1 or 3 about?

Thanks,
Sue.

GOSH
10-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello, kazuki! Welcome to the forum. I hope you have a great time here. :cat:

halthepainter
10-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Lin you must disclose how you were able to get all that marvelous detail in your still life painting.

I'm so ham handed with my oil pastels, I can't approach that level of detail.

halthepainter
10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I felt the photo of the Naval vessel would be a great opportunity to try an analogous color scheme on the painting. I wanted to see how well the process would work with oil pastels.

I chose a variety of values in the blue violet, violet, and red violet triad. White is included of course. The purpose is to promote harmony in a painting.

For anyone not familiar with the concept, I've attached a short clip from the Empty Easel web site which includes an example plus a short explanation. http://emptyeasel.com/2009/08/31/put-the-wow-factor-in-your-paintings-with-analogous-and-complementary-colors/

I may do a bit more with it in a few days after it has set up a bit.

image is 11 by 14 inches on gessoed, 140 lb watercolor paper. Terra cotta artfix ground; Erengi, Van Gogh oil pastels plus Sennelier white OP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2009/140488-lores_Oct_Challenge_Ship.jpg

Scarefishcrow
10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Bill,
I'm new to the forum. Can you please shed some light on what's 1 or 3 about?

Thanks,
Sue.

Sue, sorrry to take so long to respond, but have been sidetracked by life! First, Welcome to the OP Channel and forums and I will leave some links below to help you find what's here.

To answer you question, perspective has to do with the way objects seem to get smaller and disapper along lines that converge on the horizon at what are called vanishing points. Rather than end up confusing you with a quick explanation, here is a link to Wikipedia's page that gives a detailed explanation and illustion of the various types of perspective. Basically, 1, 2 or 3 point has to do with how many vanishing points there are dependent on the angles at which the object being drawn can be viewd from.:

WetCanvas Article on perspective:
http://wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing/Perspective/

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical)

Here is another, simpler tutorial with examples of 1 and 2 point perspective:
http://www.drawingcoach.com/perspective-drawing.html

And some general info on the OP Channel:

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
10-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Lin:Both your mountain paintings and the tools are excellent!

Hal: What a beautiful job on the ship and looks to me like you got an incredible amount of detail on the ship! Great job!

Bill

halthepainter
10-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you Bill. Sorry life is throwing hard balls at you at the moment. :heart:

Lin's anvil, tool painting just blew me away. Wow. :eek: :thumbsup:

truck driver
10-17-2009, 09:35 PM
HAL: I guess it took you all of 30 minutes to figure out how to get detail in op. Great work bro. Great..

RG

truck driver
10-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Kazuki: you can also go to www.books.google.com (http://www.books.google.com) and search for
guide to perspective, click on the full text only box, and you will get more
than you ever hoped for.

In general there are 1 dimensional, 2,dimensional, and 3 dimensional perspective. However you can also have in the same drawing several 1 dimensional views, this occurs sometimes with multilevel landscapes and things of this nature. Thats what I was getting at, it seams to me the bridges (viewpoint) is different than the vp of the two ships, and that is the way I drew it. However it seems from bills lines that that is incorrect.

Not meaning to get into a full discussion of perspective, I will leave the other two branches of perspective out of this.

RG

halthepainter
10-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Thank you RG. All the thin lines were scratched in with the edge of a palette knife.

robertsloan2
10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Lin, both of yours are great. I love that anvil and the tools. You really captured the metallic shine on those tools and it's so cool you used your Sennelier Irise pastels to do it. I love seeing iridescent effects used in midtones when the metallic effect is also accurate in values, it gives everything such richness.

Hal, that ship is breathtaking. I like the analogous color scheme, have read that article too and think you did something so cool with this. Amazing accuracy and detail.

I feel a bit humbled and I haven't gotten to any of these yet this month. I still might, though.

halthepainter
10-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Thank you Robert, I have to confess to using a grid. Ships and airplanes require pretty tight proportions.

marieUK
10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Gosh how did I miss this.....
Lin your snow scene is beautiful and the anvil is just fantastic. You certainly put your hidden treasures to good use
Hal your limited palette worked so well and made the piece so interesting and yet cohesive.
You guys are sooo good:)

GOSH
10-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Gosh how did I miss this.....
Lin your snow scene is beautiful and the anvil is just fantastic. You certainly put your hidden treasures to good use
Hal your limited palette worked so well and made the piece so interesting and yet cohesive.
You guys are sooo good:)

marieUK, feel free to join in the challenge :wave:

GOSH
10-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I felt the photo of the Naval vessel would be a great opportunity to try an analogous color scheme on the painting. I wanted to see how well the process would work with oil pastels.

I chose a variety of values in the blue violet, violet, and red violet triad. White is included of course. The purpose is to promote harmony in a painting.

For anyone not familiar with the concept, I've attached a short clip from the Empty Easel web site which includes an example plus a short explanation. http://emptyeasel.com/2009/08/31/put-the-wow-factor-in-your-paintings-with-analogous-and-complementary-colors/

I may do a bit more with it in a few days after it has set up a bit.

image is 11 by 14 inches on gessoed, 140 lb watercolor paper. Terra cotta artfix ground; Erengi, Van Gogh oil pastels plus Sennelier white OP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2009/140488-lores_Oct_Challenge_Ship.jpg

Hal, so far the detail you have is suprising. Your choice of analogous color is good. It's a very cool combination of colors. :thumbsup:
Lately I've been browising the work of Eugene Boudin, and he made the most luminescent grey skies. He also seemed to have used a pallette knife to make his ships.

halthepainter
10-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Hal, so far the detail you have is suprising. Your choice of analogous color is good. It's a very cool combination of colors. :thumbsup:
Lately I've been browising the work of Eugene Boudin, and he made the most luminescent grey skies. He also seemed to have used a pallette knife to make his ships.

Thank you Gosh, thank you, especially for the heads up on Eugene Boudin. I had never heard of him and I spent the last half hour googling him and I like his work very much. Yes he does paint great skies.

oldrockchick
10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Hal your boat is awesome...We all handle detail differently and you have certainly managed in the boat. I thought I mentioned before but I use a very sharp fime colour shaper. Also I use the edge of the pastel. The bottom end I reserve and use the corner and apply it really lightly then push it in with the shaper. I did slightly outline the bottom part of the anvil and a line to differentiate wher the colours were similar to the wall with a couple of Poly pencils. On the tools I put the white on first. Then lined the other colours. The secret is to only press the OP down lightly! thus not applying too much so you can control it better. If you have a sharp or edged extra firm shaper it helps.

If i squide too much off the edges or detailed lines I use a nail file to 'clean up' the lines.

It's hard to explain many of my techniques - I just kind of do them. I often find though that 'less is more' when it comes to detail.

Everyone here will do things differently and some could advise better than I.

For the masonry I put heavy white lines between the bricks. I had to cover my pencil lines where I had been sketching and doing perspective guides etc. I then scumbled over some other colours. With the bricks I added in the tones then scumbled the other colours on top to give texture.

GOSH
10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2009/35760-143278-S7300938_.JPG.jpeg

Here is my anvil. I was unable to achieve what I wanted with it and after a while I thought I would only do worse if I kept working at it. Sorry I don't know how to rotate the picture.
:wave:

Pat Isaac
10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I love the fiery colors on the anvil, Gosh and the stone texture on the wall. I turned it around for you.
Hal, somehow I missed your boat....nicely done and I love the color scheme.

pat

halthepainter
10-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you Lin. Your light touch and then pushing the colors where you want them may be what I need. As I've said in the past, I' m a grinder and will have to learn to use a light touch now and then.

Your tools and anvil are fantastic.

Gosh: The metal in your anvil reads very well. Is that a paw beside your painting?

marieUK
10-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I think this is lovely, love the colours

GOSH
10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Pat, Marie and Hal.
Yes, that is a paw. I had to have the stamp of approval before posting it online :rolleyes:
I think this time around the elongated format didn't work very well. I see the perspective is wrong to begin with. But *in my mind* I see it working just fine, almost on a comic book way.:p

Art Pie
10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Lin, love your tools still life. You captured them beautifully. The wall behind them is awesome too with all that lovely texture. It goes well with the cold metal on the anvil.

Hal, well mate, I am very impressed with your navy boat. I've only just picked my jaw up from the floor where it landed when I first saw your interpretation. Whatever technique it is that you use to get that colourway certainly works fabulously.

Gosh, I love your hot design for the anvil. Such delicious colours going from very hot at the bottom to cool at the top. Nice composition too, I really like that long paper design.

kazuki
10-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks Gosh.
Thanks RG for the quick explanation. Will go through the website now.
Hey Bill, Hope everything is in place now... Thanks for all those information. And thanks for being the channel guide. I'm sure I'll make best use of your expertise :-)

halthepainter
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Cy, thank you for your fun comment. You are most kind.

GOSH
10-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Lin, love your tools still life. You captured them beautifully. The wall behind them is awesome too with all that lovely texture. It goes well with the cold metal on the anvil.

Hal, well mate, I am very impressed with your navy boat. I've only just picked my jaw up from the floor where it landed when I first saw your interpretation. Whatever technique it is that you use to get that colourway certainly works fabulously.

Gosh, I love your hot design for the anvil. Such delicious colours going from very hot at the bottom to cool at the top. Nice composition too, I really like that long paper design.

Thank you, ArtPie. That was my intention: to create a contrast using cool and hot colors but I had trouble with the foot of the anvil and the angle of the table - something which I should have paid more attention to drawing before setting any color - and then I did a clumsy job painting.
Forgot what all the colors were (all in senns) but the strong red is ruby red, black is mars black.

oldrockchick
10-19-2009, 07:55 AM
GOSH - Love the flaming anvil. Looks so fiery and hot. Like a blacksmiths brazier. Very creative. The fortmat reminds me of a wall calendar.

As well as the paw I also see whiskers and :cat: shadow.:lol:

oldrockchick
10-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Kazuki - Hi and welcome to OPs

I bought a good book on perspective that is explained simple and effectively with exercises for you to try.

'The Art Of Perspective' by Metzger

worth a look for you.

Shirl Parker
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey Gosh, let us see the other end of that paw :clap:

halthepainter
10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
By all means Gosh, let's see what the paw is attached to.

GOSH
10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Remember the yellow cat inside the yellow frame that was inside the yellow mat in June's challenge?
You already met Leonardo DaVinci. :lol:

oldrockchick
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Remember the yellow cat inside the yellow frame that was inside the yellow mat in June's challenge?
You already met Leonardo DaVinci. :lol:

I knew it would be him :lol::cat:

GOSH
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
GOSH - Love the flaming anvil. Looks so fiery and hot. Like a blacksmiths brazier. Very creative. The fortmat reminds me of a wall calendar.

As well as the paw I also see whiskers and :cat: shadow.:lol:

Thanks, ORC but it's hardly creative. I should have put some ghosts in the smoke and made it to fit in with the season :wink2:
Your anvil is phenomenal, btw.

oldrockchick
10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks, ORC but it's hardly creative. I should have put some ghosts in the smoke and made it to fit in with the season :wink2:
Your anvil is phenomenal, btw.

Thanks. I worked hard to make it look metallic. I foudn the irridescents better than the actual metalics as they were too glittery. I put a little silver on first then topped with the irridescents. I then used a shaper and blended directionally.

kazuki
10-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Lin. I'll check it out in the library.

Scarefishcrow
10-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks Gosh.
Thanks RG for the quick explanation. Will go through the website now.
Hey Bill, Hope everything is in place now... Thanks for all those information. And thanks for being the channel guide. I'm sure I'll make best use of your expertise :-)

Thanks, and I am making progress and hope to soon be back here in full swing! I miss my OP family greatly!

Bill

kazuki
10-24-2009, 04:51 AM
After so much debate between the mount oregano and the navy vessel, I chose mount oregano even though I knew that both the paintings would be big challenge for me.
I enjoyed it greatly when I started but somehow this is what I am left with!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2009/109571-Oct09_332_Medium.jpg

To me, it looks like a bad choice of colors, last minute decision to change them and improper blending have together made it muddy.
What do you guys think I should do next?
I don't have the patience to start it all over again. Is scrapping things from the painting and retouching a good option?

truck driver
10-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep, you can scrape away and do it again all you want, Thats one of the great things about OPS. I do it all the time, cuz I cant ever get anything right.

RG

P.S. If you don't believe the latter, please feel free to ask my wife (GOSH) she will be more than happy to inform you of my shortcomings.

Scarefishcrow
10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Sue,
As I often remind people, we are our own worst critics!
When learning to play piano does one never hit a "sour" note along the way? Even then doesn't learning to recognize those constitue something good. What you consider "errors" are just as informative and things you can learn from as things you think are "good".

With that bit of philosophical babble out of the way, the main thing I think could have been done better is the modelling on the trees. They look like the iconic picture of a tree your "intellectual" mind stores as a simplified version of a tree and not what your "artistic" side of your breain REALLY sees. This is a battle everyone of us fights constantly.

When you hold one hand at arm's length and the other close to your face they "appear" to your "intellectual" side as the same size because it knows from experience they are even though if you were to have someone place a sheet of plastic in front of them and trace the outline they would be different sizes.

You have captured this concept well (remember perspective??) in the size of the trees up close and farther away.

As RG said, you can "scrape" back to rework or even use small tools like those used for working clay to scrape back and create detail (a method called sgrafitto)!

One thing that would help is to not make the trees solid masses of one color.

Go back an look at the photo. Sky shows through in places. There are hints of branches and trunk that periodically show through gaps in the foilage. There are various colors and "values" (lightness or darkness) depending whether the foliage is in the light or shade.

I think for the most part the shadows are well done. The mountain itself is quite believable and well done with shadining that gives it a 3d quality. Your use of perspective with the receeding trees and dead "snags" is good (though I might vary their size and position to reinforce even more the recession toward the mountain).

As you point out in the highlighted statement below, this was a CHALLENGE for you. That's why it's called an OP Challenge. To challenge us all to stretch beyond our "comfort zone" and try something that we will probably find hard and not be completely pleased with! (How does a piano teacher start you out? On simple pieces. Then, what happens? They start bringing ever more complex pieces that often frustrate you. Every time you reach a new plateau of skill you come to expect the next piece is going to be more challenging! But look back to where you started?)

Same with painting. (and BTW, I still have trouble painting a tree that doesn't look like it is half dead or a botanical version of the "BLOB")

To quote Ian Roberts, "There are no failed paintings, only failing to paint!"

So keep on painting!

Bill

After so much debate between the mount oregano and the navy vessel, I chose mount oregano even though I knew that both the paintings would be big challenge for me.

I enjoyed it greatly when I started but somehow this is what I am left with!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2009/109571-Oct09_332_Medium.jpg

To me, it looks like a bad choice of colors, last minute decision to change them and improper blending have together made it muddy.
What do you guys think I should do next?
I don't have the patience to start it all over again. Is scrapping things from the painting and retouching a good option?

oldrockchick
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Sue - It's not as bad as you think. The mountain is really good and so are the shadows. Trees are a nightmare and take ages to get right. The thing about OPs is you can add lights over the top.

I agree with everything Bill has advised. You asked how you could improve it further. Well my suggestion would be to try to add some lighter colours over the trees in small specs and maybe some darks too where the light wouldn't be seen (such as at the bottom). If the page wont' take any further layers, as RG advised you can scrape back the areas to take off a layer or two then add in some lights.

It is all about learning. these challenges have helped me develop significantly since I first joined this OP.

Pat Isaac
10-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, you can absolutely scrape away. I think the advice you have so far regarding the trees is great and I really think you did a fine jobe with the mountain and sky.

Pat

GOSH
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Kazuki!
You made a good looking mountain and you shaded it right. You can scrape bits of the trees and add more detail to your liking, even with different colors. OP's are very versatile. :wave:

kazuki
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks RG, Bill, Lin, Pat and Gosh for the reviews. It was definitely useful but what's surprising is, that you all think the mountain and shadows are fine. This is what happened in reality, I forgot to mention in my post.
I first painted the sky, mountain and shadows in one day (I have only 1-2 hours everyday). The next day I opened my book and thought my painting was not good enough. So I thought I might respect it more after a while. Seriously I have done this in the past and it works.
A week later I took it out and found that the shadows are too blue. I tried to blend some gray in (that's why the 2 grey lines). I have no idea how to blend. I use tortillon and not color shapers. The trees were the result of my frustration. All I wanted to was finish it and post it here for comments. Looks like I should have posted WIP.
I'll add lights and sky holes first and see. Hereafter I shall keep posting WIP so that I know where I am going to.

GOSH
10-25-2009, 09:40 PM
And I finally finished my mountain.
Done in watercolor paper, 18"x6", 400lb cold press. Used were Senneliers numbers: 23, 18, 98, 77, 92, 36, 31, 1 and a purple and a yellow I can't remember which ones. I also used linseed oil and a brush and Walnut Hollow oil pencil Black for some detail but didn't make much difference since it doesn't seem to grab the oil pencil with the layer of Liquitex gesso I used as primer. I also scrapped here and there for tree branches. Your critiques and suggestions are most welcome. Bring it on!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2009/143278-S7300953_.JPG

Scarefishcrow
10-26-2009, 12:38 AM
GOSH, lovely job. Nice Senns, too. RG know you have them????:lol:

Sue,

Here are some links to threads that may help:

Making Corrections in OP:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538847 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538847)

Blending:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523473 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523473)

Doing Detail work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530787 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530787)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065)

Discussion of Oil Pencils:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)

Hope these are useful to you!

Bill

truck driver
10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Yep, I know where they are too. right over there on the table and umm I managed to get my hands on one of those landscape pieces of paper she's been showing off everywhere as well.

She thinks I'm not gonna do anything for the challenge.
She thinks i'm afraid to touch the senneliers.
She's not very smart :)

RG

truck driver
10-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Though I do have to admit, she did a pretty good job, I gotta say this again the photo doesnt do it justice. Much the same as the one she did of the windmills.

RG

Pat Isaac
10-26-2009, 07:12 AM
ooh, look at those Senns......Nicely done, Gosh and those panoramics are working well for you.

Pat

hollyga
10-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi all - I am working on the mountain, too - didn't have as much time yesterday as I anticipated because we had some unexpected afternoon guests pop in - BUT - I am having some of the same problems Sue is experiencing - thanks, Bill, for your reference links. I'm gonna study and try some more tonight.

Sue, I like what you have done - I will post when I have some more sky done - I started at the bottom so I'm having "smudging" problems, too - and have some really serious "need to scrape" areas in the shadows of the trees. ARGHHH!!

GOSH, love your reds - I was too timid to use that much red - now I wish I had!

RG, I think she may be on to your sneakies!

halthepainter
10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
This will be my last challenge entry for the month. I have other paintings to work on for upcoming shows. I'm a veteran procrastinator and have three WIPs that I must finish soon.

My "Anvil and Tools" is a modification of the reference photo. I raised the mortar joint a little more above the anvil because the near tangent bugged me. I also thought the light background distracted from the center of interest (anvil and tools) so I darkened it. I also think a large value range adds interest to a painting.

The some of the modelling has washed out in the phoro. In the actual painting the curves under the anvil are darker.

The painting is 11 by 14 inches on canvas on hardboard, gessoed and a layer of black gesso with marble dust. I was trying to reduce the canvas texture. I think I should have added an additional layer of marble dust. It also seems to me that the photo has made the canvas texture more prominent.

I needed to allow the painting to set up longer. I was trying to do more smoothing and modelling last night but my color shapers were bringing up color instead ot smoothing it down.

The pastels were Erengi with a bit of Senns.

As I said, I have to get on to other projects so here it is for better or for worse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2009/140488-lores_anvil.jpg

GOSH
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Thank you Bill, Pat (I didn't mean to take a picture with the senns, it just turned out it was the best photo of a handful on various surfaces like the beige carpet, the beige linoleum and the white wall), hollyga and Hal.

Hal: That is a great looking anvil. The changes you made to create your painting work very well, as do the choice of colors and the way you made it stand out. As you know, you are free to manipulate and change the image to anything. If you wanted to add a dwarf beating on iron, you could have! :thumbsup:
Your ship and your anvil are very good and I love the clarity and the definition you gave to the objects.

halthepainter
10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Hal: That is a great looking anvil. The changes you made to create your painting work very well, as do the choice of colors and the way you made it stand out. As you know, you are free to manipulate and change the image to anything. If you wanted to add a dwarf beating on iron, you could have! :thumbsup:
Your ship and your anvil are very good and I love the clarity and the definition you gave to the objects.

Darn wish I had thought of that.

I'm sitting here looking at my painting verses the image on my laptop and the actual painting is darker overall by a couple of values. The camera really lightened the anvil painting.

GOSH
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Darn wish I had thought of that.

I'm sitting here looking at my painting verses the image on my laptop and the actual painting is darker overall by a couple of values. The camera really lightened the anvil painting.

If you look closer at the lower right hand corner of the mountain I just did, you will see a mysterious ghostly figure. :evil:

halthepainter
10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
If you look closer at the lower right hand corner of the mountain I just did, you will see a mysterious ghostly figure. :evil:

Gosh you made me put my reading glasses on. I see two potential figures on the far right of your panorama.

A possible hooded figure and just to the right of that a potential "Wild Thing" with long horns going up half the height of the tree.

Are you the hooded figure or the "Wild Thing"? :evil:

I really like the way you did your trees. They have a great texture. :thumbsup:

However you seem to have a strong wind just affecting just the trees on the left side of your painting. :D I guess with such a wide panorama there might be wind shears between the two ends of your painting. :lol:

Just kidding Gosh.

halthepainter
10-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I rephotographed my Anvil photo under different lighting in the hope of getting a photo closer to the painting. This photo is closer to the actual painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2009/140488-loresf_anvil.jpg

GOSH
10-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm the "Wild Thing" :evil:

The second picture seems taken with more natural light and I prefer it.

The best light to take pictures of OP's under is clear sunlight. The flash seems to kill the best that each color has to offer.

Pat Isaac
10-27-2009, 07:03 AM
I like this pcture of the anvil best, Hal. The brick wall is great with all those colors throughout. I always turn off my flash when I photograph paintings.
Good luck with your WIPs, Hal. I am in the same boat with Open Studios coming up.

Pat

oldrockchick
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
GOSH - I love all the warmth you put into that painting. The colours work so well and I love that landscape size paper. I'm envious of your Senns but may I ask how come they are all still complete? Maybe I'm heavy-handed but all mine seem to snap 1/2 " down from the top when I use them. Look out for RG - he's after your equipment :P

Hollyga - Hi and welcome to our OP challenge, I look forward to seeing your work.

Kazuki - If you need help along the way, posting a WIp is a good way to do things. If you are unsure post where you have got to and tell us what you are struggling with and we will try to help if we can.

Hal - I love the orange table! Great texture on the masonry too. Good shaping on the anvil. Now to the tools--- all your worrying about not being able to get details and you have made a splendid job on these!

GOSH
10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
The orange is more orangey in real life. The Senns are not complete anymore but they look really nice so far. They're not used as intensively as they should but I use less in amount each time now that I've "discovered" linseed oil. The oranges love it, the greys hate it, the blues so-so.
I'm keeping an eye on RG and his wandering hands :evil:

[quote=oldrockchick]GOSH - I love all the warmth you put into that painting. The colours work so well and I love that landscape size paper. I'm envious of your Senns but may I ask how come they are all still complete? Maybe I'm heavy-handed but all mine seem to snap 1/2 " down from the top when I use them. Look out for RG - he's after your equipment :P

quote]

kazuki
10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
If you need help along the way, posting a WIp is a good way to do things. If you are unsure post where you have got to and tell us what you are struggling with and we will try to help if we can.

Thanks for the encouragement, Lin. Will do just that :-)

GOSH
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Looking forward to seeing more of your work, kazuki! :clap:
You can manipulate, change and use your imagination on any of the pictures provided.
Only three more days left! :eek: and I know you are all ready for November :D

SammyH
10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Browsing this thread after a long absence is interesting.

Hal, I love your anvil painting. I like your using the red of the table in the brick. Great colors but it reminds me of work (a dirty, four-letter word).:lol:

GOSH, love your red mountain scene and particularly the golden sky. I also like the short, wide shape - something I often see in the mirror!:lol: Nice job.

Sue, your cooler mountain scene is also very nice.

halthepainter
10-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Sammy, glad you stopped by.

I was worried that my two paintings were so bad, you were just being kind by not saying anything if you couldn't say something good. :lol: :lol:

SammyH
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Hal, I had to go back even further to find your navel vessel. I like it. Looks like a violet sunset. The details on the boat are great.

halthepainter
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Sammy I'm shameless, I was trying to get your thoughts on the use of the analogous color scheme. I've only used this type color strategy a few times but I especially liked the way this one turned out.

Your paintings are so full of color, I thought you might find my color scheme a bit tame.

GOSH
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Sammy, glad you stopped by.

I was worried that my two paintings were so bad, you were just being kind by not saying anything if you couldn't say something good. :lol: :lol:

The way you handled the challenge there is nothing bad to say, hal. :rolleyes:

truck driver
10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2009/136518-oct-chal-v1.jpg

A very closeup shot of a work in progress

RG

halthepainter
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Great start RG. The back wall is looking great.

Pat Isaac
10-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Good start, RG and I like the overall color.

Pat

oldrockchick
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Good start RG - is that a photo ? What size is the piece to be?

truck driver
10-29-2009, 01:52 PM
12x12 illustration board, sennelier, holbeins, creypas specialists, Cretacolor oil pastel pencils.

RG

truck driver
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
12x12 illustration board, sennelier, holbeins, creypas specialists, Cretacolor oil pastel pencils.

RG

make that 10x10

truck driver
10-30-2009, 03:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2009/136518-oct-chal-v2.jpg

Next phase complete, now to decide what to do next.

RG

oldrockchick
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I love the fiery orange RG

halthepainter
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
RG looks as if you will have to put some of the tools on top of the anvil. :D

hollyga
10-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Here is my picture of Mt. Hood - finally - -:clap: - - C & C needed - what do I need to pay attention to or do differently in my next projects? I already have several in mind. Thanks to all!

Holly

Pat Isaac
10-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Nicely done and the tree texture is wonderful. I do feel as if the composition is a little heavy on the right side and maybe a smaller tree in the distance on the left would help balance it. I'd also put a few more values on the mountain. I really like the colors in this painting.

Pat

halthepainter
10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Here is my picture of Mt. Hood - finally - -:clap: - - C & C needed - what do I need to pay attention to or do differently in my next projects? I already have several in mind. Thanks to all!

Holly

Holly your trees are wonderful. In fact your right, foreground tree is so beautiful and detailed that (in my opinion) it is the center of interest and unbalances the composition,

Also, I would think that there would be some reflective sky color on the snow.

Over all it is a beauty.

I'm not copying Pat, we were typing simultaneously and she beat me to the *submit* button.:D

GOSH
10-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I agree with what hal and Pat say. :clap:

hollyga
10-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks Pat, Hal & Gosh. Since I can't relocate the "center of interest" I guess I need to add another tree on the left, huh. IRL, the mountain does have a tiny bit more blue in it but I was actually trying to cover it up - so I guess I'll put them back in. I did feel that the mountain was sort of "washed out" - some sky colors should help and probably also making the shadows more intense. Pat, I'm thinking the additional tree should go a bit to the left of the smallers ones on the left - maybe the bottom of the tree to the left and lower and the top of the tree just above the "shrub line"? Would that balance it out?

Holly :confused: :D

halthepainter
10-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Holly before you put a major element on the left of your painting and create a static composition you might subdue the foreground tree to allow the viewer's attention to be captured by the trees left of center. A large dark mass on the edge of your painting can encourage the viewer to look into the painting. (Sorry your foreground tree is really gorgeous)

I'm not good with photoshop but here is an idea, I darkened your foreground tree plus I added a bit of texture to the mountain:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/140488-ref_discussion_2.JPG

This technique is used by some of the masters to force the eye into the painting. Here's a couple examples by Constable and Rembrant. Sorry for the thumbnails but they pixelated badly when I tried to blow them up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/140488-constable_5.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/140488-constable.7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/140488-rembrant_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/140488-rembrant_2.jpg

hollyga
11-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Hal - Thanks for your suggestions. :cool: I actually thought about just trying to take the foreground tree out altogether - but greens are really strong and I don't think they will come off enough to do that. (Besides, I sort of like the foreground tree, too! :lol: ) Bill (I think) posted some links about correcting errors and lifting off "bad stuff" and I had to try some of those techniques on the top right where I picked up some of the green in the sky - used alcohol and cotton swabs - worked great but I think removing the tree would be too much for even that technique.

The other thing I thought about was maybe adding a Golden Retriever romping in the snow on the bottom left - our GR really loved our surprise 12" of snow last March 1 - got a couple of good ref. photos for that one! :cat:

Right now, it's "resting" for a few days until I decide if I really want to try to re-work it some.

halthepainter
11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
[quote=hollyga]Hal -
The other thing I thought about was maybe adding a Golden Retriever romping in the snow on the bottom left - our GR really loved our surprise 12" of snow last March 1 - got a couple of good ref. photos for that one! :cat:
quote]

Adding a :heart: Golden Retriever:heart: anywhere is always a good thing. :heart: :heart:

Pat Isaac
11-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I like the forground tree also. Lesting it rest for a few days is a good idea, without looking at it and then when you see it again, it is with fresh eyes.

Pat

oldrockchick
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Holly and good to see you joining in the fun.
Lots of good advice for you so far so I have nothing to add.

Scarefishcrow
11-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Great work everyone and welcome to the Challenge, Holly. A big :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: for everyone that took on the challenge and thanks to GOSH for providing great refs and Hosting this month!!

Bill

SammyH
11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Holly,

Nice job on the mountain scene. I agree with the advice you've been given about more color and balancing the compostion. Please let us see any changes you make.

hollyga
11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Pat, Lin, Sammy. Right now it is going to sit for a few days. I said, tongue in cheek, that I might put a Golden Retriever in it - -but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea - I'll have to play with that one in my head a while. I have another I am going to post this afternoon - it's not finished yet but at least it's recognizable as a barn and maple trees. Will post as soon as I get a good picture.

Thanks again, all - it's great to have a cheering section and non-judgmental critics - What more could we want for??? (I know, a full set of Senns!)

Holly

GOSH
11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Thank you, Bill and thank all the participants and the silent viewers (come on we know who you are ;) )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-109571-Oct09_332_Mediumooo_.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-143278-S7300953_ooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-179312-OP_Oct_SMt_Hood_Oregonooo__.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-136518-oct-chal-v1ooo_.jpg Here are are a few of the participants artwork. I think I can't upload any more at once.:confused:

GOSH
11-01-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-140488-lores_Oct_Challenge_Shipooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-35760-143278-S7300938__JPGooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-140488-lores_anvilooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-143278-S7300904_ooo_.jpg

GOSH
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-179312-Mt_Hood_Oregon_OP_Oct_09ooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-179312-OP_Anvilooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-140488-ref_discussion_2ooooo_.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2009/143278-136518-oct-chal-v2oooo_.jpg

I hope I didn't miss anyone. Thank You again for participating :clap:
November promises some great art!

oldrockchick
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Thank you so much for the gallery I really love to see it all togetehr!
I am sure I missed a couple of these. When I see the gal;lery I can go back and check.

Thank you for hosting GOSH - I really enjoyed your challenges.

Pat Isaac
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the images. I love seeing them all together.

Pat

halthepainter
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Gosh thank you for a challenging and fun October challenge.

Also thank you for the image summary.