PDA

View Full Version : ***I CHALLENGE YOU*** Variations on a Theme

Deborah Secor
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey everyone, have you seen the most recent issue of The Pastel Journal? The cover artist, Marla Baggetta, did 100 paintings of the same scene to jump-start her motivation and get her creative juices flowing.

Marla did this: 100 paintings, on a small scale (10x10”), done in 30 minutes max, painting one per day. She chose a composition, rather than using a photograph, and focused not on seasons or times of day but color and value changes. She used mixed media to keep things interesting, using watercolors, oils, and alcohol washes over pastel as underpaintings on Wallis paper, working over those in pastel. She let go and tried some very creative things—putting value on the experience of making the painting, instead of the finished piece. She worked in high key, low key, complementary colors and monochromatic colors. She mentions that as her portfolio grew she felt a sense of accomplishment. You can go look at her work here if you don’t have the magazine. Marla Baggetta: 100 Variations (http://www.baggettastudio.com/marlaSite/reproductions.php)

I LOVE this idea and decided to challenge my students to do something similar, starting on October 1, so I thought I'd challenge you all to join us!

Here's my proposal. I'd like you to make a commitment in writing , posted here in this thread, to the number of paintings you'll do per week, listing the size you plan to use and the maximum amount of time you'll devote to each piece. I suggest keeping the paintings small enough that you can complete them in a short amount ot time, since the idea is to stay fresh. Remember--you're going to repeat the same image over an over, varying only the colors, values, or techniques.

Here's your contract (fill in the blanks):

I will paint
_____ paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: _____
and in this amount of time: _____
Signed: (your name)

Here's mine!

I will paint
5 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 9"x9"
and in this amount of time: 30 minutes
Signed: Deborah Secor

My idea is that we can each post our paintings in our own threads, and to keep the forum from getting too flooded I suggest one thread per person per week. Title your thread 'Challenge Paintings--week 1 ' and post one every day that you do one, depending on your commitment.

On October 1 my class is gong to work on several Notan designs for the image they plan to use and make their contracts out, so I propose you try to do something similar--that's why I'm posting this thread today. Think over what you might want to try, look through your photographs or think about the image you might want to paint from your memory. Look at Marla's paintings and see if they spark your interest. Then come on in and let us all know what you plan to do.

By the way, the idea here is to help each other get motivated, have some fun, maybe try some new approaches or materials, and encourage one another. When someone posts something they tried, it might give you an idea. We can build up one another as we share a common road!

I know you'll probably have some questions or ideas, so let's hash it out and see how this might work. What do you say? Are you game to give Variations on a Theme a try??? Hope so!

Deborah

marionh
09-30-2009, 02:47 AM
What a fantastic challenge Deborah:clap: . I'm in and if I don't add my name now I will um and er and not do it! So here goes
I will paint
4 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 20x30 cm
and in this amount of time: 45 minutes
Signed: Marion Hedger

Is the idea to also show the reference in this thread, or in the first thread for Week 1?

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Marion! So glad to have you on board with me in this. :clap:

Let's see... I think I'll show my ref and/or the thumbnail or notan drawings I do in the first week's thread, and then begin to post the paintings to that thread. The decision about what to repeat all those times is a tough one!

BTW, for anyone else who is thinking about joining, your 'signature' can be your user name. You don't have to reveal your identity here if you don't want to. So if you want to sign it using 'arteestica' or whatever your nickname is, that's good enough for us! (Oooh, I should probably check and see if anyone uses that name. Trust me, I just pulled it out of my mind...)

Anyway, I hope others are mulling over the idea and will come along, too. It's not necessary to begin tomorrow, unless you want to. some might want to come on board for a week or two...and threads like this never 'close', so feel free!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Deborah - do they have to be in a square format?

marionh
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Kathryn, you can choose your own size. I've chosen 20x30cm (essentially A4) to make it easier for me.

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh no! Any format you want to use is fine. Any size, any parameters at all! I think the idea is to find a horizontal or vertical composition that works for you--and maybe any kind of real 'commitment' needs to be made subsequent to doing the beginning plans, notan, sketches, thumbnails, or whatever you need to do to figure it out. That's up to the artists who decide to take part.

Since we're here in the pastel forum I expect those who decide to come along will use pastels, but in my class we're open to all kinds of media. I may do some of mine in gouache, too, since that's what I'm able to work in more often these days. I thought I'd show the pastels here, which I also plan to use, and link to the gouaches I do over in another forum. So if anyone wants to use other media alongside pastels, I think that's fine, too!

I'm just offering a fun challenge to anyone who wants to jump in. Make it your own. Suggest changes you'd like.

But maybe there's just not much interest in this right now, which is really okay with me, too. :D Whatever!

Deborah

Studio-1-F
09-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Deb, thanks for that link to Marla Baggetta's gallery (http://www.baggettastudio.com/marlaSite/reproductions.php)! When you click on the first pic in the series, and then go through all 100 with the 'Next' button, the effect is really kaleidoscopic. Holy cow!!! A-mazing.

I was already taking a bit of a lose and lazy stab at this with pears (http://jan777.blogspot.com/search/label/pear%20plan?max-results=100) as a general subject, but to stick with one composition and to see it through like that is quite a commitment. I mean you have to chose something that has enough meat-and-potatoes that it'll sustain you for 100 variations.

Fruit just ain't cuttin' it. . . .

Hmmmmm! It's tough to pass up such a good challenge.

Jan

Kathryn Wilson
09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
When I saw this article, I started to think about doing something of this sort to get me out of this block I am having - then the ol' square format really had me stympied.

Yes, the subject being painted many different times, for me anyway, needs to be simple but with enough variation to hold my interest - so I want to include a sky, trees, and water somehow.

Going on vacation next week and will be busy doing things other than painting - so I am going to keep my expectations low for the start of this challenge and later on may up the ante. I will be out of touch with no computer, so I will have to post when I get back.

I will paint:
3 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 9" x 12"
and in this amount of time: 30 minutes
Signed: Kathryn Wilson

Merethe T
09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Ooooh, it's a fun challenge Deborah!! I saw the article, really fascinating to see how different the paintings turned out. I'm tempted to join in, very tempted....I'll have to look through my photo's, maybe this could give me a jump-start into landscapes? I'd really love to do landscapes but find it so hard to get away from the detail-focus I seem to bring into everything I do. With a challenge like this it's not possible to focus on details, could be just what the doctor's ordered...

I'll give myself a little time to think.....I do have some ideas running already though...

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Kool, Kat. (Couldn't resist! :D)

Jan, I know what you mean. It takes some thinking to find the right composition, but anything is possible to do. She did landscapes, but if you composed with a pear or pears, and included some other shapes (shadow, table, wall, etc.) then it could become quite interesting. I could see some doing a figure(s) or still life or animal(s). It really just requires a set of interesting and compelling SHAPES, I think.

We're going to start with notan, which uses three values to determine the composition, but one of the things I think is important would be to design something where you could plug in any of the three values into any of the shapes and still have a varied and compelling composition. In other words, it isn't the values, but the SHAPES. As you go through Marla's 100 variations that becomes clearer. You can see the transposition of values and how it doesn't change the impact.

So I think it requires a composition that balances simple shapes that can then contain variables inside those shape areas. For instance, look at the differences between variations #16, 17 and 18 on Marla's page. Click back and forth to see how the values change, the comp stays essentially the same, and the textures, colors and gestural strokes are quite varied! Simple shapes. Varied values. Varied colors. Varied textures and strokes.

Maybe you can tell that I'm in the process of working all these things out, too! Fun stuff, IMHO.

Just to inspire and maybe lend a bit of aid, I'll show you two sources of inspiration that I'm mulling over as possibilities.

First is this photo I took last year. I've played with contrast and cropped it to a square and reduced it to grayscale.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2009/23609-100_ptgs_compbw.jpg

I like a lot about it but as I do the notan I expect to tweak shapes and values more.

And this is a painting by Edward Wesson (1910 – 1983) called On Exmoor, which I have simplified, flipped and reduced to grayscale, too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2009/23609-comp_for_100.jpg

I chose it because I liked the sky, tree and sweeping ground planes, but as I do my notan I expect to make it my own. Of course, I also have to make it into a square format.

Anyway, as I develop this I'll post a thread with my sketches in it, too. Hope that's of some help!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Merethe, take your time, but I hope you join in! It would be a good way to launch on a new realm of subject matter. You'll see above that I decided to consider a painting I found inspirational, too, and just respond personally to what I liked about it, so it doesn't have to be a photograph. In fact, a photo might engage too much 'copying' of details! Up to you, of course, and just a thought...

Deborah

Ruthie57
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
This sounds like a very interesting challenge! Not only to pick a composition but to make a different picture from it each time and keep to the elected contract. Like Merethe I think it could help me break into landscape AND to loosen up a lot more. I'm a detail freak which is probably why I don't really succeed with landscape.
I'm teetering on the edge of joining. I will go and look at some photos now!

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
*gentle shove* :D Hope you decide to give it a go, Ruth!

Deborah

saramathewson
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Deborah,
After reading that article in the PJ about Marla's 100 paintings and seeing them I knew I wanted to do something similar so this is great! My biggest challenge besides finding the right pic from my stash is to figure out how to post pics here. I haven't done it yet! Chris will help me with it though, so I'm not too worried. I do have to figure out how many to do a week and the format and size. I've been pretty sick the past three weeks and am still not quite right. Well, I never am as I have FMS and CFIDS pretty severely, but I do want to participate in this. We just moved a month ago and my studio is finally set up enough to paint. Still lots to do, but as long as I can paint in it its fine, the rest can wait! LOL! I will get back to you as I decide on the numbers etc. Thanks for posting this challenge. For me I hope it just helps me be a better landscape painter as I will pick a landscape for sure.

Thanks again!

Sara

Deborah Secor
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Great, Sara.... !!

Deborah

marionh
10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Deborah, good idea to turn the pics into greyscale. I have a few lined up as possibles. I think I will do landscapes as I'm trying to improve mine, although I keep thinking about other subjects that this will be good for.
I have a few pics with clouds in similar to your first photo, and am leaning to one of those as I've never seriously tackled clouds before and it would be interesting to see the different effects that might be achieved mmm....

I really like your second ref, in my mind I can see lots of possibilities for that one.

Of to play in photoshop with my refs - might even get to post later today.

Karen Margulis
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you Deborah for including us in the challenge. It's a great idea! After seeing Marla's work I wanted to try it myself so this will give me the push I needed to get going. Now off to choose a picture!
I will paint
____5_ paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: ___6x6__
and in this amount of time: __30 minutes___
Signed: (Karen Margulis)

Deborah Secor
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Good, Karen, glad to have you join us!

I'm off to class soon and will try to get some photos posted this evening or tomorrow.

Remember to post a thread of your own, titled 'Challenge Paintings--week 1' (2 & etc. each week) here in the Studio, and add your paintings to it as you go along. Please come here and post a link to the threads, too, so in the future people can see the work that results!

I'm excited. I worked on some sketches last night from several resources, not just those I posted, and will develop things further in class today. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

:thumbsup:

Deborah

PS If anyone else wants to join in, COME ON ALONG! :wave:

Ruthie57
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Decided I'd give this a go. I've even done one!

I will paint
in this size:10"x10"
and in this amount of time: 45 mins
Signed: Ruth Mann

I may do more but can't committ to it. I'm away this W/E so will start properly next week.

Merethe T
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok, count me in! I've had ideas running through my head all day at work, I guess it means I should do it,lol! I'll be back with my contract a bit later, just gotta decide on size and time frame.

Sara - you have never uploaded an image? Wow, guess it's about time then...no need to worry, we'll help you through it - it really is easy. If you check out the links in my signature you'll find two articles that explain every step of it - the "how to upload" and the beginner's article. And we're here to help!

Glad to see people joining up, this will be fun! Thank you for doing this, Deborah....!

Studio-1-F
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Okay this is the one I am thinking about. It's a take-off, rip-off, knock-off, dumbed-down version of Turner's Mortlake Terrace (http://www.nga.gov/fcgi-bin/timage_f?object=116&image=731&c=gg57), which is my MacBook's "desktop" and is in the collection at the NGA here in town. (I dote on this painting.:heart: :heart: :heart: ) This take-off square version may still have a bit too much going on, but that can be dealt out during the process. Maybe.

Whattya think, Deb? How does it compare to the notans that your students did/are doing? Too busy?

Jan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/12504-mortlake_sq.jpg

saramathewson
10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I've been going through my photos and everyone is just too busy and it would be difficult to simplify the image without losing what the image is all about. Chris just took a long trip and has some great photos(I told him to take them with me painting them in mind). So, tonight we will go through them and have a few printed and then go from there. We are going to be out of town for three days next week so not sure when this will get started. I still have to decide on size and format. I may do something easy like 9x12 since I have a ton of paper already in that size. Now to decide how many I can do in a week. I will get back to you with the "formal" contract:)

Sara

Deborah Secor
10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh great, two more! So glad to have you decide to do it, Ruth and Merethe!

Jan, it's a very rich piece, shape-wise. Dramatic.

As to the resources, today my students and I worked from the resource to a notan to a SHAPE DRAWING, or line drawing. This experiment will vary the colors and values, so the constant is the shapes. It's easier to think shapes via finding values first, so that they aren't just the shapes of the objects. I literally made a cartoon to use as my resource! It frees me up to work fluidly, seeing all the shapes devoid of value.

I'll put more in my thread, but here's a version of my shape drawing, loosely done on the computer. (No, it isn't from either of the references above.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/23609-shape_drawing.jpg

Deborah

Colorix
10-01-2009, 06:45 PM
OK, count me in, too! It fits my project for this year anyway (many small sketches, no fussing). I need to think about my exact committment in time. I guess if I choose 3/week, nobody'll shoot me if I actually do 5. I'll choose a smaller size, possibly A5 (half of A4), or square. I like square. Mmmm, need to think on how, but *I will* is settled, written in concrete.

Charlie

Nansketch
10-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Deborah,
Just saw this today and find it very inviting -- tho' I admit a bit intimidating. As a newbie -- I'm really unsure but ok, here goes.

3 paintings a week for the month of October
in this size 10x10 in
in this amount of time --- 45 min
signed: Nancy (nansketch)

best go now and look at photos -- I took one last week that is very close to the 100 challenge -- maybe I should look for another

Deborah -- thanks, this should be a lot of fun!!!!
Nancy

Deborah Secor
10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Yay, Charlie and Nancy are on board!

I posted my first thread: week 1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586231)

Take a look and tell me what you think. Don't be shocked. I love bright colors! :lol:

Deborah

Deborah Secor
10-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Let's talk a little about the time limit. When I posted my first thread it sparked a bit of discussion.

Here's what I think... If you normally take hours and hours and hours to complete one painting, giving yourself an hour per variation may be a very modest amount of time. I think you want to push yourself to work fast enough that you're not piddling over details, but not so fast that you can't get done enough to be satisfied.

If you say you'll do each one in an hour and you find that you get a good, satisfying piece in a half hour, stop and call it quits! You can go shorter (or even a hair or two longer, of course), just as long as you're finding that optimum spot where you get the essence of the place.

I bet after 10 or 15 paintings of the same image you'll move faster! :wink2:

Deborah

SunFace
10-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I would love to join, but I am taking an art class in college and need to do a painting a week (a kids portrait)
I could show those!

Deborah Secor
10-01-2009, 11:43 PM
The idea here is to repeat the same image over and over, though, so unless you're doing the same kid it wouldn't be quite what we're doing!

But do start a thread and show us your work. We love seeing new work here... :D

Deborah

bluefish
10-02-2009, 06:29 AM
just don't understand the "30 minute" concept - somebody have to catch a train or something? :confused:

my understanding is that we sit down to create a 'beautiful painting', if we can do it in twenty minutes, fine, but if it takes two weeks of concentrated effort, so be it! - The object should always be to produce a painting that will be our best effort! But of course I'm considered 'old school'!

Good luck with the 30 minute wonders, please forgive me if I plod along with my 'old school' ways!

'blue....' :angel:

marionh
10-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Bluefish, why so negative? Everyone has different ways of working and I am sure it's fine if you continue in your own way.
However, others may want to try different things to improve their work and I look forward to seeing others takes on this concept. My work certainly needs improvement and I for one am using this as a fun learning exercise to try different styles, colour combinations, moods etc without investing too much energy in each and so not minding if I make mistakes.:) I am using a 45 minute time as I find I procrastinate a lot and I hope that with this exercise I can become more spontaneous.

Deborah Secor
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Well said, Marion! The primary reason for this exercise is to get the juices flowing and become motivated to go into the studio. Marla Baggetta said:

I've always found that the hardest part of painting is getting started. It's so easy to procrastinate--do the laundry, answer your e-mail, have another cup of coffee. So how do you get started day after day with the intention of creating something of merit? What keeps you stepping up to that blank sheet of paper time and time again? Some days it's a daunting, hard and downright scary task. (Pastel Journal, Oct. 2009)

Doing a fast painting is like kindling. It isn't meant to be the fire that burns long and keeps you warm, it's meant to be the flare that starts the fiery passion to paint.

And frankly it's cold enough here today that a little 'kindling' is in order! :D

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Blue - boo hoo - who says being old has to be fuddie duddie. And I'm older than you so I know.

I learned to paint fast in Wet Canvas' WDE Weekly Challenge and it has improved my work - don't think, just paint!

marionh
10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I've started and posted my first :o
Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8187622#post8187622)

Karen Margulis
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I have also started and posted my first ones here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586329)

Deborah Secor
10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
We're off to a great start! Thank you Marion and Karen. It's so much fun seeing what everyone is doing. We have to keep the fires burning all month (and beyond, for Karen, it seems!) So glad you've launched out.

Now to see what the others do...

Deborah

Tressa
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Deborah.
Is it ok to join in starting Monday? My week has been crazy, but I love these challenges, and I need to devote some time to getting painting done.!
Tres

Deborah Secor
10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Sure, Tress, come on aboard anytime! :D

Deborah

Studio-1-F
10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
As to the resources, today my students and I worked from the resource to a notan to a SHAPE DRAWING, or line drawing. This experiment will vary the colors and values, so the constant is the shapes. It's easier to think shapes via finding values first, so that they aren't just the shapes of the objects. I literally made a cartoon to use as my resource! It frees me up to work fluidly, seeing all the shapes devoid of value.
Excellent advice! Will do my cartoon tomorrow. Thank you! (You are such a good teacher, even two or three removes, like here in a forum. :thumbsup: How lucky the folks are who can work with you in person! Envy!:heart: )

Jan

Deborah Secor
10-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks. :heart:

Deborah

Tressa
10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Will do...
I will post my contract by Sunday...busy weekend, paint out tomorrow, and is my hubby's b day also!
Tres

Colourist52
10-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Hi Deborah,
After reading about Maria Baggetta in the Pastel Journal, I think that your challenge would be the perfect way to loosen up my paintings. I'm still thinking about how much time I can commit too and what photo to use.
Thank you for your excellent advice on wet canvas, I have already improved my skies and clouds after studying your techniques. I wish I lived in the US so that I could attend your classes!

Studio-1-F
10-03-2009, 11:51 AM
My "cartoon". Too busy? Too simplified? This is going to be interesting.

(I really like my pic choice going in. Which probably means I'll loathe it by iteration # sixty.)

Jan

++++++++++++++++++

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2009/12504-mortlake_cartoon.jpg

Colorix
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I will paint
in this size: 20x20cm (8x8"), (if impractical size, this can change after first week , but not later)
and in this amount of time: 45 minutes or less.
Signed: Charlie

This is my drawing. (Right or wrong place?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2009/117343-7_mass_drawing.jpg

saramathewson
10-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I will paint 3 paintings per week in the month of October
in a 12x9 format.
I will do it in 45 min.

Sara Mathewson

P.S. If this goes well I will continue this until I have 100 paintings.

Deborah Secor
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Julie, so glad you've decided to come along with us! When you're ready to go let us know what you decide to do...

Jan, I think that cartoon has good shapes. The drooping tree line on the left-hand side looks odd, but I know from having seen the photo/painting that the trees are in perspective, so I think you'll make that work quite well! Have some fun! We're all going to be sick of the images in time, but in some odd way that will likely free us to enjoy other aspects of it, don't you think?

I remember having an issue with green, so Albert Handell assigned me to "paint green". He suggested that everything I paint be green in color, but what the subject matter would be was entirely up to me. I painted a lot of trees, then discovered a green garage, a green banana, a green lake...and in the course of painting all these green things, and becoming over-saturated with green-green-green, I had an epiphany. I didn't have to paint all the green things using only GREEN! I could put in red, blue, lavender, purple, peach, orange, gold, rust, etc. etc. amid the greens. I have to say that from that moment on I loved green and I still do. It's to colorful! :D So I hold out hope that we'll discover so much more than the subject matter we're repeating. That in itself may be a good portion of the lesson. Time will tell.

Charlie, great looking cartoon and showing it here is good. I'm sure you'll put it into the first thread you start, too.

This is turning out to be even more interesting than I expected. So glad you are all joining in on it!

Deborah

SonyaJ
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm in on this as well! It will be the perfect way for me to get back into pastels; lately, I've been spending all my 2D art time doing graphite and charcoal sketches and drawings to regain my very rusty drawing skills :o . They finally got in Pastel Journal at my local Borders, so I went down there yesterday and got it - what an outstanding issue this one is!

For the month of October I will paint:

3 pastels a week
9x12"
45 min.

I'm going to write down a list of "themes" or objectives I want to reach with some of the paintings. Now, to settle on an image I want to use....

Thanks so much for suggesting this, Deborah! It is exactly the "push" I needed to jump back into using colored dust :).

Deborah Secor
10-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey, alright, Sonya! Glad to have you with us...

:D
Deborah

bchlvr
10-04-2009, 07:14 AM
I will join in on this also. On photos going from one extreme to another. Desert or Swamp...will have to decide here.

3 paintings a week
9x12
45 minutes each

Deborah Secor
10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Great, Linn! Happy to have you with us, too. Swamp or desert...up to you!

BTW, as I think I mentioned at the beginning, I plan to do a few of my paintings in gouache, since our class is multi-media these days. I'll post a thread in the Watermedia Forum and link it back here, if I do that. If you decide to explore other media, with the same image, same size and same time limit, you can do the same.

Deborah

Nansketch
10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
This is the link to week 1 drawings.
Nancy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8191723#post8191723

Colorix
10-04-2009, 02:37 PM
The thread for Week 1 of mine is here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586516).

This is really fun, and at the same time very educative.

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I hope everyone will visit each other and see the work. I suspect we can share some good ideas over time about how to approach doing this.

Deborah

Merethe T
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Here I am with my contract:

I will paint 3 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 6x11
and in this amount of time: 60 minutes
Signed: Merethe T

I decided I want to play a little bit with the format. I have an image in mind, but need a little more time before I post my scene. It will be trees, a field and mountains, and I'd like to add a little stream in there too. Ready to post soon, just gotta finish up two pieces for a book illustration I'm working on first. This will be fun!

I'm off to see what you've come up with in your individual threads...!

Deborah Secor
10-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing your paintings, Merethe!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Just in case anyone thinks that we're nuts for taking on some weird challenge like painting ___# of paintings in a month, take a look at what some writers do: NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano) Gimme my pastels and few sheets of paper and let me at the paintings--50K words in one month is REALLY NUTS! :D But it's nice to know that writers find the same kind of freedom in doing this sort of exercise:

...By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down....

:thumbsup:
Deborah

Tressa
10-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Ok, finally, I have time to at least do the contract!!!:p

I will paint 3 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 8x10
and in this amount of time: 45 or less minutes
Signed: Tressa H

I am going to finalize my pick for subject this afternoon.

bnoonan
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm along for the visual-virtual ride...just not able to participate this month.

Excellent challenge - I had a great conversation with Marla in July at one of the local shows and her work is tremendous!!! Barb

GO FORTH WITH FUN EVERYONE!!!

Colorix
10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Tressa, great!

Barb, aw, would've been cool if you could've joined in!

Ruthie57
10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's the link to my thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586783

Nansketch
10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Deborah,

Please explain how to group a small set of drawings in a -- I enjoy seeing them next to each other -- just don't know how to set it up.

thanks

nancy

marionh
10-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Nancy do you have Photoshop (although I am sure that other photo editing programs will do the same).

Open PS
Under File menu select New
For image size select you image size - this will be your 'canvas' I made mine 800x300 pixels. (my paintings are 20x30 cm so I used this proportion for the canvas size) Then click OK. A white 'gallery' canvas should appear.

Open the image that you want to use (I use the scaled down image that I uploaded in the thread). You will now have two windows open.

In the window with your painting, under layers you will see an icon image of the photo. Drag and drop that onto your Gallery canvas. Rescale the image to fit the height of your gallery canvas.

Repeat for all your other paintings, dragging the image icon from the 'layers' onto your gallery canvas.

Hope this makes sense. PM me if you need to.

Colorix
10-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I hope everyone will visit each other and see the work. I suspect we can share some good ideas over time about how to approach doing this.

Deborah

Could we pool/list ideas? Like, here, in this thread?

Studio-1-F
10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Could we pool/list ideas? Like, here, in this thread?
To keep this up for 100 variations, I need to think hard. My own brainstorming/variations ideas:
-- value variations within a color "family" (monocolor)
-- high key overall
-- low key overall
-- complimentary duos
-- triads
-- Josef Albers' "simultaneous contrast" combos
-- mark texture variations (directional strokes vs. squiggles vs. dashes vs. blended smooth areas etc.)
-- moving (or trying to move) the "center of interest" to odd places in the scene by manipulating edges and contrast (Harrison's "refraction" ideas)
-- underpainting variations (water vs. alcohol vs. Turpenoid)
-- support variations (dif papers, dif grades of UArt, dif surface preps)
-- different sequences of application (ie using hards on top of softies, hards on top of pans, pans on top of softies, etc.)

Just a few thoughts.

Jan

Colorix
10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Jan:
-- value variations within a color "family" (monocolor)
-- high key overall
-- low key overall
-- complimentary duos
-- triads
-- Josef Albers' "simultaneous contrast" combos
-- mark texture variations (directional strokes vs. squiggles vs. dashes vs. blended smooth areas etc.)
-- moving (or trying to move) the "center of interest" to odd places in the scene by manipulating edges and contrast (Harrison's "refraction" ideas)
-- underpainting variations (water vs. alcohol vs. Turpenoid)
-- support variations (dif papers, dif grades of UArt, dif surface preps)
-- different sequences of application (ie using hards on top of softies, hards on top of pans, pans on top of softies, etc.)

Charlie (may repeat Jan's unintentionally):
-- one colour plus black stick
-- one colour plus white stick
-- flat painting, silhouettes
-- planes of objects painted flat and angular
-- reversed tonality (like a bw negative)
-- all hard edges
-- all soft edges
-- all blurry edges
-- no drawing, just broad strokes of colour, letting them overlap (think Alicia)
-- split complementary
-- colour negative
-- a "mother colour" mixed into *every* part
-- high chroma
-- low chroma (mouse power)
-- underpaintings (greyscale, brownish-red in values, green values, all shadows blue all light yellow (Maggie Price), vivid, neutral, etc.)
-- painted with *other* hand
-- painted with a mirror, only look in the mirror not at paper.
-- paint it all upside down (a la Betty Edwards)
-- make a cubist Picasso
-- Dalí
-- Pollock
-- cave painting
-- mosaic
-- pure abstract

Charlie

Studio-1-F
10-06-2009, 03:18 PM
All very good suggestions. Thanks!:thumbsup:

However, explanations and expansions please, Charlie:
-- colour negative -- is this just reversing the colors, like what is green IRL is painted as magenta?
-- cave painting -- ? - painted with a handmade pastel stick made from the red ochre clay earth found in a seam next to the creek in the local park?

Jan

Colorix
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
All very good suggestions. Thanks!:thumbsup:

However, explanations and expansions please, Charlie:
-- colour negative -- is this just reversing the colors, like what is green IRL is painted as magenta?
-- cave painting -- ? - painted with a handmade pastel stick made from the red ochre clay earth found in a seam next to the creek in the local park?

Jan

Brainstorming. Any idea that sparks another idea is valid. :-) Well, Ok, maybe not using dewdrops and moonbeams on the tip of a unicorn's horn... :rolleyes: Moot, anywa, as there's no-one here qualified to catch a unicorn. ;)

Question a: Yes, I think it is the same... what about solarize, then?

Q b: Definitely! :thumbsup: or, perchance red and yellow earths with black outlines?

Keep 'em coming, we're gonna need them!

Charlie

Nansketch
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks to everyone, I'm sure we will need suggestions as we move along.
Marion, thank you for the explanation -- I'll see if I can figure it out. Tho, I will be honest -- I work on computers all day in a variety of software -- when you said PS and layers -- that may do me in. I've spent multitudes of hours trying to figure out ps -- just doesn't kick in. but I will try.

Looking forward to week 2 galleries.

Nancy

Deborah Secor
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow, I go out for the day and look at l this! Good ideas, and I love the list.

In my class we plan to paint with an analogous color scheme, using three hues next to each other on the color wheel, a split complement scheme, using any hue and the colors on each side of its complement, or a triadic scheme, using any three hues of equal distance from each on the color wheel, so there are three more (though I suspect maybe mentioned already if I study the lists!)

Nancy, you can also get a ladder, place your paintings on the floor and shoot them all together from above! (Not easy to do...I'll unravel PS any day.)

Deborah

Colorix
10-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Nancy, do you have professional PS, or PSE (Photoshop Elements)?

Deb, yes, can't turn away for a minute, or class runs wild! When does week 2 start? Tomorrow, the 8th?

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Yep, tomorrow is the beginning of week 2.

I know because it's my second class here. I hope some of my students will bring in their challenge paintings. The class is devoted to painting night scenes, and I found a wonderful blog entry by Marc Hanson on changing day photos to night paintings. (http://marchanson.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-to-night.html) I may give that a try, and suggest it to my students as another option for the series... Is that idea in your lists anywhere?

I'm behind on my commitment to 5 a week, but my mother's health has taken a nosedive, so I may just regard this as a teaching opportunity and not stress myself to do what may be impossible right now. :(

Deborah

Colorix
10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Deborah, of course, life happens, and I hope your mother will get better soon. Now wasn't the time for you to paint 5/week, but maybe fewer? Or, if we continue next month, and all is well?

Charlie

Susan Jenkins
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Okay... Here goes... AHHH! I have been dying to do this before I even saw this challenge because I know it will only help me to grow as an artist. I have hesitated, because when I make a commitment I REALLY want to stick with it.

I will paint
3 paintings per week for the month of October (I started late so I have some catching up to do)!!!
in this size: 5 x 7 (easy to find premade frames if I choose to frame any)
and in this amount of time: 30-45min
Signed: Susan Jenkins

I've got two done and I'll post right now in another thread.

Thanks Deborah... this is a great exercise!!!
:) susan

SonyaJ
10-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Okay, I've finally got my first three challenge paintings done, photographed and ready to post after I post here. I think the last pastel painting I did was 10 years ago, aside from one I started this past Dec. and abandoned.

I originally said I would do 3 paintings, 9x12" in 45 min./ea. per week, but I've decided to change that to the following:

5 paintings per week - the practice is much needed!
6x8" (or thereabouts - I decided it would be better to cut my papers in half, which will be cheaper and the smaller studies less, um, daunting than the 9x12" and 9x11" I'd originally planned).
30 min. each.

In a notebook, I wrote out several "themes" that I wanted to try and do, and I've thought of more since then. Here are some of what I've listed:

-monochromatic #1(done)
-summer #1 (done)
-fall colors #1 (done)
- winter day
-high-key
-low-key
-"as is" - using the original color photo
-analgous #1-x (x= whatever I end up with :) )
-triadic #1-x
-complementary #1-x
-split complementary #1-x
-fog/mist
-sunset(s)
-sunrise
-spring
-storm sky
-high chroma colors
-"painted in the style of":
-Degas, Van Gogh, Maynard Dixon, and probably some others as I think of them. These artists have such vastly different painting styles, but I love them all. Their use of color and line intrigue me and once I get more experience, I'll try these.

I'm going to post everything I do, even the really bad ones I'd rather throw into the trash right away :lol: , since mistakes are useful learning tools as well, and maybe others

The papers I'm using, at least to start out with: Canson Mi-Tientes and some 400-grit black sanded paper from Finland (aka - wet/dry sandpaper from the local Tru-Value hardware store :D ). I have some Wallis paper but don't want to waste any on these studies. With these papers, I won't feel bad throwing them away.

Here is the value study (posterized b/w version of the ref. photo). I also tweaked it a bit to add some sky. In the original photo crop, there is no sky visible; the upper "V" is another part of the mountain. But, I wanted to add a sky element and hey, it works!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2009/187416-challenge_notan.jpg

Okay, enough rambling. I'm going to go post the photos of the first three in a new thread.

ETA: link to pictures for week one: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587177

Also: I haven't had time to comment in the other challenge threads yet, but they are all super! I love seeing how everyone has decided to approach their challenge subjects and this will be so fun to watch over the weeks that it continues. I hope more people join in, too :wave: .

Cheers,

creatividee
10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Deborah, Is it too late to join in? I've been thinking about this and think it's a great opportunity but didn't realize the challenge actually began on the 1st. Thanks,

Nansketch
10-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Great to see all the new additions, have fun.
Deborah, sorry to hear about your mother, we alll understand.

Nancy

Tressa
10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Arrggg...I'm behind!!! Oh well, I will catch up! Not gonna beat myself up, cuz I did paint 4 plein air last Sat!
But here is the link to my 1st week challenge, Tressa

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586941

Deborah, hope your Mom is doing ok...thoughts are with you.

Mary Y
10-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi Deborah,
I am a lurker from way back .I hope by doing some challanges here and in W/colour I can learn and improve my paintings .So here is my contract
I will paint
___4__ paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: __8X8 inches___
and in this amount of time: __30mins___
Signed: Mary
I am not sure how to cross link so that may take a little while to work out.
I am really enjoying everyones work in this challenge.
Mary

Deborah Secor
10-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Susan, go for it! I'll try to take a look at threads tomorrow.

Sonya, your time adjustments sound good, and I like your photo!

Deborah, Is it too late to join in? I've been thinking about this and think it's a great opportunity but didn't realize the challenge actually began on the 1st. Thanks,
Join us any time! I think Kat will be starting here's the week, too.

Tress, don't worry--I'm behind too. As Charlie said, life happens!

Mary, glad you're here! C'mon in and join us... :D We'll help you with links, don't worry.

Thanks for your well wishes for Mom! It ain't easy being 97, trust me. She's a trooper.

Deborah

Colorix
10-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Deb, 97 is impressive! But a frail age.

Mary, nice to see you again! Join in, we've just started, and I guess some will actually do 100 variations...

General thought: Those who do 100 paintings in 100 days have an interesting development curve. Something seems to happen around the 30th, and the 70th painting. Perseverance pays off, I suspect.

Charlie

Colorix
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Charlie's week 2 starts here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8201489#post8201489).

This is both fun and interesting. Some ideas I save for better paper. It is especially interesting to see the paintings of the other participants. I think we collectively will gain great references in our memories as to what works and what doesn't. I believe in growth through interaction, and working "side by side" is a great way to learn.

Charlie

Tressa
10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Week two:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8202014#post8202014

Tressa

mtv65
10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
what a wonderful challenge! I will definately have a think about it

Trine

Colorix
10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Trine, hi! Please do, it is great fun, and it will probably be a shortcut to fame and glory! :-D At least, I think we'll shorten the learning curve with a year or so!

Charlie

creatividee
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Deborah and all, I'm glad to be able to join in! Here's my contract:

I will paint
2 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: 5 x 7 to 8 X 10
and in this amount of time: 30-45min
Signed: Dee

Ok now I'm off to post my reference and Week 1's.

Deborah Secor
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Trine, come on along...

Dee, looks good!

I got to paint two more today--one a night version. Looks like two a week is all I can do. :rolleyes: But you never know, maybe this week will be better!

Deborah

creatividee
10-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Here is the link to my reference photo and 2 Week 1's. :o :o I hope I did this right! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8202524#post8202524

Mary Y
10-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks Deborah and Charlie.
Deborah I hope your mothers health has improved. Your" wet sand" is beautiful on the newsletter.
Mary

Mary Y
10-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I am going to attempt a link for week one (even if it is now week two)
HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8203260&posted=1#post8203260)

marionh
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Started my Week 2 Challenge thread HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8203414#post8203414)

Mary Brigid
10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
This is a wonderful challenge Deborah. I am not up to taking part at the moment. But I am going to enjoy watching all the participants.
Mary Brigid

Deborah Secor
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Deborah I hope your mothers health has improved. Your" wet sand" is beautiful on the newsletter.
Mary
Thanks, Mary. Mom is hanging in there...

Dee, I see that your link worked! I'll get over there to check out the work soon... :D

Mary Brigid, hope you enjoy watching, since you won't be painting. :wave:

Here's a link to my next two in the challenge: week 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587481) I'm not moving fast but I'm still hoping to find a hair more time to paint this coming week. Hope springs eternal, y'know! :p

Deborah

Nansketch
10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Here is my link for week 2.

Nancy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8204596#post8204596

BetsyPriesing
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Hmm I'm late as usual...

I will paint
__3__ paintings per week for the month of October
in this size: __5x7___
and in this amount of time: _1 hour
Betsy Priesing

Deborah Secor
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey, better 'late' than not at all, Betsy--besides, what does late have to do with it? Glad you're along for the ride... :wave:

Deborah

marionh
10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
So glad you are joining us Betsy. I always enjoy your work and look forward to seeing your variations and getting inspired.

Ruthie57
10-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Deborah, I hope your Mum is soon back to her own self. Mine seems to be in a steep decline at present but she'll pull herself out soon I hope. Afterall she's only 89.
Here's my link for week 2 http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587576

Colourist52
10-11-2009, 05:17 AM
I know I'm very late joining in and I hope that I'll be able to catch up.
I will paint - 2 paintings per week for the month of October
in this size - 10x8
in this amount of time - 60min

I'm so busy at the moment can't see having time to do more than 2 a week. Can we change the conditions of the contract for another month if we find that
maybe we have more painting time? Will post picture I've chosen soon.
Julie:)

Colourist52
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Well here is the picture I've chosen - don't know if there is enough light and dark contrast in this one but we'll see how it goes.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2009/106652-P1000237.JPG
I've also done a sketch of the basic shapes of the picture. Will be back with the first two paintings soon.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2009/106652-P1000238.JPG

Colorix
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Julie, beautiful vista, you can do lots with this!

maggie latham
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I’ve been itching to get my pastels out again after a long time with them packed away! Deborah, this challenge seems really interesting, and as I have an international subscription to PJ…..I re-read it this afternoon. What a great concept! I once had an intensive week of 100 washes (watercolour)…but nothing like this. Although by the end of my week of 100 washes, I really learnt a lot about blended wash techniques in watercolour and how pigments reacted with each other.

I think I will lurk for a while, as I am busy over in the Watercolor Studio with the Gouache thread, but would like to join in sometime soon. I’ve been looking at everyone’s work and it all looks really exciting.
How do we post work? Just in a new thread…could someone explain a little about how it all works, please?

Maggie

Nansketch
10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Maggie, we will look forward to you joining us in this adventure. Bascially, we start a new thread for each week's group. I will leave the detailed instructions to one of the veterans, as I've just this weekend pushed myself into PS-- and figured out how to set up a gallery instead of posting individually. Hope to see you soon.
Nancy

Deborah Secor
10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Julie--looking very good! I'm sure you'll post those photos to your first thread, too, as we'll want to see what you're using. BTW, you can change anything anytime, of course. We just set up the structure to get folks motivated! Do what you can.

Maggie, we'd LOVE to have you along for the ride! :D Nancy's advice is right on. I thought it would make it easier if we posted a thread labeled Challenge Paintings--week1, week2, etc. here in the studio, then posted a link back here to each thread so we don't miss anyone. That way the work is all linked together in the future. You know how it is when you look at an old thread and wonder whatever came of it! I asked everyone to post a 'contract' like the one in Julie's thread above (#98), just it's a real commitment! Let us know what you plan to do...

Deborah

SonyaJ
10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I've got 3 of my 5 paintings up for week 2 paintings. Link is here (http://http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8208343#post8208343).

I have to say again how awesome this challenge is for me, esp. as someone who really has little experience using pastels. I learned a LOT just from these 5. Even after this challenge is over, I'm going to keep doing this for different subjects in the future. It is tremendous. Thanks again, Deborah, for suggesting this, and thank you to Marla for the concept and PJ for publishing the article.

Cheers,

Mary Y
10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Almost forgot. My week 2 link is HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8208553&posted=1#post8208553)

Deborah and Ruthie Thinking of you both with unwell Mothers.

Julie and Maggie looking forward to seeing your week 1.

Nancy glad you worked out the gallery I love seeing everyones paintings grouped together. I keep forgetting what size I have shrunk them to.
Mary

Studio-1-F
10-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Below are my two reference pics and my two attempts at getting underway.
Learned so far: go fast, finish quickly, just go for it, large blocks of value/color ONLY, don't over-detail or over-noodle!

Must try to do more than one a week. At that rate I get to one hundred in 2012. Sorta misses the point, eh? [sigh]:o

Jan

+++++++++++++

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2009/12504-mortlake_composite_web_horiz.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2009/12504-mortlake_composite2_web_horiz.jpg

BetsyPriesing
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi
This is my first week challenge. here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587620)
ha i'm so excited I finally figured out how to make a link with my own title....the little things in life.

Deborah Secor
10-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Jan, I know what you mean--my rate is slow thus not of as much value, but at this point I think doing some is better than not doing it at all. However, 2012 seems just around the corner to me, too. :lol:

Betsy, thanks for the link here. Little things are good... :D

Deborah

helenh
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I just posted my first week http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8210308#post8210308. Better late than never. I was having major upload problems. So I figure that I'll do 3 paintings a week, 6x9, 30-45 minutes.

mbaggetta
10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I am so amazed and touched that my article is touching a cord with people! It just about makes me cry. Good luck and good painting to everyone. It's a great journey to undertake. Thanks so much Deborah, for sending me the link.

Marla

Deborah Secor
10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Marla! Thank you so much for posting. We are DELIGHTED by your inspiration and glad you know about how we're progressing. :D Thank YOU so much for undertaking your journey and for writing the article.

Click on the various links to see the work we're doing, or you can go to the Soft Pastels Studio and take a look at the various threads with 'Challenge Paintings' in the title.

Deborah

maggie latham
10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Hello Deborah and everyone,

Afraid I might have to just ‘lurk’ for a while as I’m committed to other things right now. Your thread has definitely given me food for thought, though and I intend to break out my pastels this week. I am very much looking forward to seeing everyone’s work. Could I participate in the challenge and use a different medium …. maybe 2 pastels and 2 watercolour/gouaches a week and still post in the pastel forum? Is this a challenge that builds up over time or are you expecting to use different compositions for different months?
Deborah is it possible to give me the low down on Notan, please…or list some links for me to look at. I think I’m already doing my own form of Notan, but am not familiar with all the ins and outs, and would like to improve the initial design and composition of my paintings more before jumping in with paint.

Maggie L

Deborah Secor
10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I understand, Maggie. We haven't made any plans for this to go beyond October, unless those taking part decide to go on, but take the idea and run with it any way you want to. I thought if I did any paintings in gouache I would post them in a thread in the Watermedia Forum or Gouache Forum and link that thread back here, and have a separate one here showing pastels.

Notan...let's see what I have...

Notan is a Japanese word that means "lightness-darkness." When compositions work in black and white, they work in color as long as the Notan structure is maintained. Notan is a strong, interactive pattern using negative and positive that is either carefully planned out or discovered and built during the process.

"Notan is a synthetic arrangement of dark and light that creates an impression of beauty, regardless of either the colors used or of the subject matter. A strong notan design is therefore the key to a strong painting. Without it, both color and line fail to reach their full impact. Many of the most powerful paintings have the simplest value structures. That is to say, they only use two, three, or four major values." (Barry John Raybould)

“Very often the quality of a work can slip because artists simply fail to work things out in the best order. A carefully drawn and even beautifully prepared work may, for example, have poor notan. Never forget that drawing and line can be the enemies of pattern.” Robert Genn

Kim Lordier: Notan is more of a design element than a value sketch...because the object is to create a simple structure for your painting (which would include three-four values). If you think of it only as a value sketch, and not hooking up those values to create a strong simple design, then your painting will not have the structure it needs to attract the viewer from across the room. They take no more than a couple minutes to create a series before you commit to the paper/canvas.

Here's the Mona Lisa in Notan:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2009/23609-DSCN8685.JPG

Bet you're doing it already!

Deborah

maggie latham
10-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Deborah,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain Notan. I am giving several one day workshops in watercolour about value (tone) in the new year and didn’t know if I should bring up Notan or note…or if it was a specific formula…. but I’ve already covered this in my notes without calling it Notan. I am becoming much more aware of the necessity to have a strong design from the beginning, though, and hopefully if I take my own advice, my work will change for the better.

I will definitely ‘lurk’ this challenge out, but thanks for giving me new inspiration and ‘making’ me re-read that PJ article. A good friend in the village is interested in learning how to paint in pastel, so I just gave her my Mark Leach book (her work gravitates to colourful abstraction normally)…. and between her and you guys, I’m all fired up about my pastels again!

Maggie

Jancee
10-14-2009, 02:42 AM
I just found this!! And it's the 13th already. I've been busy with the daily painting forum (?). But I'd like to jump in late and commit to 2 paintings a week, approx. 8 X 10, 45 to 60 minutes.
Are you thinking of doing this again in November? Could I talk you into it?

Studio-1-F
10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Bet you're doing it already! Deborah
Richard McKinley, in the demo that he did for the Maryland Pastel Society the other day, touched on this very notion, Deborah. He said that the word "notan" is just the current fancy mot du jour (hijacked from Japanese art) for the good ole fashioned value/composition sketch that everyone who draws and paints has been doing since prehistoric times.

Others say that the exploration of notan (http://books.google.com/books?id=RigJEMU4qyAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=notan#v=onepage&q=&f=false) in Japanese culture is an old concept and involves ying and yang and much more in the way of philosophy and contemplation and so forth, more than just a value sketch.

Jan

Deborah Secor
10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Jan (jancee), I'm glad you found us and you're welcome to join in. I'm not going to be able to organize another challenge in November, but will be happy to keep the ball rolling here, if that works for people...

Jan, I understand what you (and Richard) are saying, I think, about notan being a fashionable phrase. But I prefer to gather what seems most valuable to me, from the very surface level study I've done regarding notan, which is the idea of distilling to the essential black (positive) and white (negative) of a composition, rather than spending any time exploring deep philosophical connotations. Perhaps in light of that it would be better to return to using 'value sketch' as a descriptor. However, it doesn't hold the same emphasis on essentials or distillation that notan carries. Maybe we need another word or phrase... Let's see, 2-value thumbnail might be as good as any, or perhaps the more liberal 3-value thumbnail! :D

Deborah

Colorix
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Notan: Yes, the Japanese concept is much more complicated, including lines too. What we call 'notan' is a very simplified and westernized version, skipping all deep philosophy of the east. But, using the word notan makes us be in the 'in'-crowd, and sounds impressive. :-) And they work too, for making better paintings. A design principle that is easy to remember, and no fussing with 14 different design formulas.

And, 'notan' is such a neat little word, meaning simply dark-light.

Deb, I'd be happy if you continue this challenge into the next month. There shouldn't be a problem with "week 8". As long as the benevolent moderators are OK with it.

We could keep down the number of threads by using one thread, and posting images once/week. Either one personal thread per participant, or, a joint thread.

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I can continue into next month, as my class is in session up to Nov. 19, but I know that once Thanksgiving looms we'll all be taken away (those of us who celebrate the American holiday on Nov. 26 this year, that is.)

I'd prefer to keep things the same--each of us can start one weekly thread in the studio to show current work, labeled with 'Challenge Paintings week (whatever)' and linked back here... Will that work for those who want to do it? Let me know!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Did you all notice that MARLA BAGGETTA posted here? (post #110...) Am I alone in thinking this is quite sweet of her???

Deborah

Ruthie57
10-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I vote we keep the ball rolling on this one as it's fun to see everyone's different interpretations of their chosen ref and, eventually, I may learn something about landscape myself!
If we do though I'm going to go down in size. This is using too much paper, not to mention having nowhere to put the completed works!

marionh
10-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Deborah, it was great that Marla took the time to respond.

I'd like to keep the ball rolling - although I might change my reference and do it smaller. My living room is looking very colourful at the moment.

Colorix
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
About Marla: Too awed to respond! :-) I was moved by her post, and she's done something fantastic by setting the example and inspiring us all, and you too! <3 And her being touched by us, that's great too. What a fantastic feedback!

I'm eager and fine with continuing into next month with "business as usual".

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Marla - you inspired us all - thank you for sharing your work with us through the Pastel Journal!

Here's the link to my Week 1, although not completed yet :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588246

As far as continuing, it seems to me that things are getting scattered around. Anyway we can make this better? How about we post a Weekly Challenge Thread and we all post our paintings in one thread? It's not up to me and maybe Deborah has another idea.

Deborah Secor
10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Theyare scattered, Kat. Maybe one thread would be better. Sounds good to me. Maybe we could start one and place everything for week 2 there now...What say you, gang? Dedicated thread or our own individual ones?

Now I'm going to try to get over to your thread, Kat...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I've posted a gouache painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8215984#post8215984)that's part of this challenge over in Watermedia... It's a mess!!! But I had fun. I just don't paint that large or that fast in gouache...but I thought I'd include it anyway.

Deborah

Studio-1-F
10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
What say you, gang? Dedicated thread or our own individual ones?
I vote: Dedicated.

J

helenh
10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I like the idea of combining into one thread. I find that I am searching all over the place for people's individual postings. One place would be really handy.

Mary Y
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
If possible one thread would be good.I am also struggling to keep up with finding everyone.
mary

Nansketch
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Marla -- thanks for looking in on our project, your concept is great, your work is very inspiring.

Deb, I'm comfortable with whatever the group votes for -- seems like it would be easier to review the group work if we have one thread for each week -- is that right.

Nancy

Kathryn Wilson
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM
If everyone is agreeable, I can even go back to Week 1 and combine everyone's week one - and if you haven't finished in any of the weeks, just keep posting in that one thread. Maybe number your paintings?

Deborah Secor
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Let's do that, Kat! Thanks. Great idea, and it will be easier...

Deborah

Colorix
10-15-2009, 05:48 AM
Kat, sort of thought so, and yes definitely agreeable to combining everyone's weeks ones and twos, and just continuing in that thread. (After all, the "Having a ball ..."-thread does well.)

Another idea: what if we post galleries when the challenge ends? So we can see the whole impact at one glance? (Everyone makes their own gallery, and we can post a tutorial.)

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
10-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Okay, I'll get on it. Deborah, I want you to create each of those Challenge Weeks so that I am not at the head of the threads. Something like you did for the original -

****Challenge Week One ****

Do that for each week, then I will merge all the threads together for each week.

Charlie - you're nominated for doing the tutorial - post it here, but let's not rush on that yet. People are still joining and posting work for Week 1.

Ruthie57
10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Good idea to have a combined thread. It's hard finding all the individual ones and I don't want to miss anything! As far as doing a gallery goes I don't have PS or any software which will do that so mine may have to be photos of each week's paintings together on the studio floor!

Colorix
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Charlie - you're nominated for doing the tutorial - post it here, but let's not rush on that yet. People are still joining and posting work for Week 1.

Kat, yes I will. Wouldn't have suggested it if not prepared to do it, as I know your MO :D .

Unless somebody already has written one. I'll check the WDE, I suspect there are tutorials there, and if, I'll ask if we can borrow it.

Ruthie, do you have Paint? Or *any* image noodling program that came with the camera or scanner?

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Okay, Kat, the threads are up there. Thanks so much!

Charlie, I had to laugh! I think it 's a good idea to do a gallery, and it can't be that hard... can it? Thanks...

Deborah

Colorix
10-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm searching for an easy way to make a gallery, neatly numbered. So far no luck. Using PSE or Powerpoint or even Paint is not difficult, just tedious. I may have to make a template numbered picture, upload it here, and then everyone can download it and insert their own pictures. (With instructions, the ones in WDE were very complicated, I like 'dummie' instructions.)

Kathryn Wilson
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
For those looking for the new threads, I messed up merging, so I had to delete. I've sent a message to Deborah to re-start those threads. :o :o :o :o

Deborah Secor
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Okay, not a problem. (Sounds like something I would do! 'Cept you usually fix it for me.)

Deborah

SonyaJ
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Great idea to merge all the weekly challenges into a single thread - like everyone else, it is really hard to keep up and I don't want to miss anyone's posting. Plus, it keeps other threads from getting bumped down and out of sight too quickly.

Also, the week's end gallery of work is a great idea, if it can be done. I've seen similar things done, I think (?), on at least one other forum...maybe florals? Everyone's work gets put into one large composite image - I think that's what y'all are talking about here?

-Off to start work on Week 3 challenge paintings :)

Colorix
10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
The "moderator magic" works, the combo threads are great! Thank you, Kat.

Sonya, I meant galleries for when the challenge ends, as the grand finale, and each artist gets to do them of their own paintings. I can help with how to, and even a template for them. Lot of work, and it would be voluntary, of course.

I am falling behind this week. Only got one done. Will be away, but may just bring the stuff and doodle in pauses, might get people interested.

Charlie

SonyaJ
10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Charlie - ah, gotcha! That makes more sense anyway :) .

Kathryn Wilson
10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Whew, it's done - I hope I didn't miss anybody.

Unfortunately, all posts are listed chronologically by date, so Week 1 may be a mess as far as people's comments go - and Week 2 is listed as Charlie being the originator of the thread, but her post was the oldest.

So, there ya have it.

Deborah Secor
10-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Amazing! No wonder we had so much trouble keeping up! Yikes...

I posted in the week three challenge thread aleady. Only one this week. I'm falling behinder.

Deborah

Nansketch
10-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Deb, Kathryn and Charlie,

Thanks to all of you for working your magic with these threads. I can see that I missed a few of the postings and the new group will be easier to follow. Everyone has done interesting work and what a variety.

They are all great fun to look at, no way that I will catch up on comments -- I think I need a viewing time limit -- just like the painting limit.

Many thanks, work help is appreciated!!

Nancy

Ruthie57
10-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Ruthie, do you have Paint? Or *any* image noodling program that came with the camera or scanner?

Charlie

Charlie. I have paint but I don't see how I can do anything with that. I have the Canon application which came with my camera and, with that, I can merge photos (although when I tried it it wouldn't let me as they were not exactly the same size). I also have HP Photosmart but can't find anything in there where I can put them together in a gallery. I can put them in an album in separate pages but, well, that isn't what I need!
Never mind. I can take photos on the studio floor. I'll do that tomorrow and then I can post weeks one and two in separate "galleries".

You may have gathered that I'm NOT a computer whiz!! Life's too short, I'd rather be painting.............but thanks anyway.

Thanks also to Deborah and Kathryn for merging the threads. It's much easier to see what's going on now.

Colorix
10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Ruthie, it works in Paint, I'll post instructions when I get back from the conference I'm attending this weekend. It is better to do some of the work in good time, as it is harrowing to make it all at the end. I can instruct Paint, and PSE 6. PSE 7 may have a feature making it real easy, but the 6 doesn't have it. (PSE = PhotoShop Elements) Paint will work great with the template I'll provide, I have a test version, and will make a neater one. So next week we can start to make our galleries in our own computers. (Much better to deal with it as whe handle each picture, doing 20 or 50 at the time is just making one crazy, better to resize, copy/paste while we're noodling pics for the ongoing uploading here.)

Charlie

Mary Y
10-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Debora ,Kathryn and Charlie,
Thank you all very much for putting these threads together.
Mary

Kathryn Wilson
10-18-2009, 08:47 AM
You're welcome!

I took my four paintings to the critique session at the Pastel Society of NC meeting yesterday - I think I inspired a few people to take up Marla's challenge to do some quick, small paintings.

Deborah Secor
10-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Kewl, Kat! This is going to be a wildfire soon! :D

Deborah

Ruthie57
10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes, and what will we do with all this extra art on the market? Well, I know what'll happen to mine, they'll end up stuffed in a drawer!

Colorix
10-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Can't remember the name of the first daily art guy, but that really took off, (there's even a thread on WC, in All Media, run by Gary Northants, holding its own against the flood of WDEs) so why not this.

Charlie

Colorix
10-21-2009, 04:20 PM
So sorry I'm very behind. In a flurry, as I discovered a local juried show I'll try to get into. (Yeah, like anything not abstract is going to be accepted... I do it for the experience.)

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't worry Charlie, you aren't the only one running behind. We do what we can do -

Colorix
10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Templates for Galleries, this will be post 156, if you need to return to it.

Hi, I’ve made two templates for Galleries. One horizontal, and one vertical, and every rectangle is as near as the same size as I could make them, also between vertical and horizontal. We who use the square format can choose the template that pleases us, it doesn’t matter. These are numbered up to 20, and please keep within the grey lines of each box, a gallery looks infinitely neater when there is space between the pictures. Templates are below the text of this post.

In the tutorial, I guess at some computer words, as my version of PSE was only available in Swedish. If I guess wrong, you should be able to figure out what is the right thing to click on. I may say “picture” when your computer says “image”, for example. This is a very thorough instruction, so those who actually have PSE but don’t know how to use it well can follow.

The procedure for PSE = Photoshop Elements 6 (and probably other PSEs too)

1. Place the cursor somewhere in the image of the template you want to use. Right click (the right button on the mouse) on the template in this post. A window with a menu will open, left click on “save image as”, and a window connected to your own image library in your own computer will open. Save the Template where you want it, and you can also change the name of the Template image if you want to. Now you have the template in your own computer.

2. Go to the Image library in your computer, find where you saved the template. Right click on the thumbnail image of the template, and a menu will open. Choose “open in PSE”. Wait until PSE has started and opened the image of the template.

(You can also start PSE first, and use the PSE browser to find the right folder where the file Template is stored and open it that way.)

3. To put the images you’ve already displayed one by one in the threads in Pastel forum into the template, you find that image in the Image folder/library, left click on it, open it in PSE in exactly the same way as you did with the Template.

4. Now you have two images open in PSE, the Template and the painting. The template is of the right size for WC. But you need to change the size of the pic of the painting. (Just trust me, it is not enough to shrink it by dragging corners.) In the top toolbar, click on Image/Picture (third world from left in my version), and a dropdown menu will open. Click on “change size”, and it gives you choices, so choose “size of image” (“resize image”). In the window that opens, all three check-boxes at the bottom should be marked. At the top of the box, if it doesn’t show pixels, click on the little arrows and change to pixels. Now type in the following pixel sizes, depending on which orientation your image is in:
Horizontal/landscape format: max 181 pixels wide, and max 126 pixels high.
Vertical/portrait format: max 121 pixels wide, and max 181 high.
Square format: use the smaller number for both.

It should work so that if you change either height or width, the other should change automatically. If either is a bit too large, change the other and the first should follow, and vice versa.

Click on “OK”. The image on your screen should now be resized.
It is very smart to do this each time you are in PSE anyway to resize the photo/scan for posting on WC.

5. Press the keys (on keyboard) “CTRL” and the letter “a” (ctrl+a). This highlights the whole picture. Then press ctrl+c, which copies the picture to a temporary memory. Then close the image and click on “no” when it asks you if you want to save changes. (Or, save changes by “save as”, if you want.) Now you’re rid of the picture, but still have the copy in the temporary memory.

6. Bring the Template up on top of the workspace, if it isn’t already. You find it in the top toolbar in the menu called “Windows” (I hope it is called that, it is the next to last one) click on the name of the file and it comes on top. If you have the project space at the bottom of the screen, just double click on the desired image and it goes to the top of the workspace. It is like leafing through a deck of cards, you choose which one you want to be on top of the stack.

Press the keys ctrl+v, and your thumbnail is inserted as a separate layer in the template. Choose the drag-tool that looks like a plus with arrowheads. Hopefully you have the toolbar to the left of the workspace, and this one should be at the top. Place cursor over the thumbnail image and press the left key of the mouse to drag it to the slot with the right number. You may have to click on a green checkmark to end that part of the process, if it shows up by itself. If you need to adjust the placement only slightly, the arrow keys on your keyboard will move the thumbnail a pixel up/down/right/left for each time you press the relevant arrow key. See to it that you have the right layer marked as active (just click on the layer in the display to the right of the workspace).
Should your picture be slightly too large in either direction, use the *corners* , the little squares at the corners called ‘handles’ to make the image bigger or smaller by holding down the left button of the mouse and dragging.

7. Repeat the process from 3 onwards for the next pictures.

When you’re done for the day (I do not recommend you do all this when finished with all paintings, better to do it as you go), right click on the layer display to the right and choose “make into one layer”. Then you can save it as a jpg file. I recommend you save it *as* a new file-name, which will keep the original template free from thumbs. You may need it for something.

If you want to be able to move images after saving, don’t make into one layer, and do save as a psd file.

8. When you want to post your gallery, bring it up, and then choose “save for the web”, that will make it be of the right size and ‘weight’ for WC.

End of Tutorial

I hope I got it right, if you detect errors or oddities, do tell.

Later, I’ll tell how to re-number the template, as you will get more than 20 pics, right?

I’ll get to Paint later, that is, the image noodling program.

Charlie

Horizontal
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2009/117343-Gallery-T-Horiz.jpg

Vertical
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2009/117343-Gallery-T-vertical.jpg

Mary Y
10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Charlie
Thank you for the template which fills me with terror.
I managed to put my weekly pictures in a line with the information on" How to signature banner" from the bottom of your posts so I will give it a try.
Mary

Deborah Secor
10-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Charlie! I already plugged my first 8 in there. Worked like a charm! :)

Deborah

Colorix
10-24-2009, 08:24 AM
This is post 158, with Tutorial for Paint.

Deb, great!
Mary, it is no worse than knitting patterns. :-) Just keep track of where you are, and remember you can always undo by backing up a step or two.

Tutorial for making galleries in Paint

In the tutorial, I guess at some computer words, as my version of Paint is in Swedish. If I guess wrong, you should be able to figure out what is the right thing to click on. I may say “picture” when your computer says “image”, for example.

1. Go to post 156 in this thread. Place the cursor somewhere in the image of the template you want to use. Right click (the right button on the mouse) on the template in that post. A window with a menu will open, left click on “save image as”, and a window connected to your own image library in your own computer will open. Save the Template where you want it, and you can also change the name of the Template image if you want to. Now you have the template in your own computer.

2. Go to the Image library in your computer, find where you saved the template. Right click on the thumbnail image of the template, and a menu will open. Choose “open in Paint”. Wait until Paint has started and opened the image of the template.

(You can also start Paint first, and use the Paint browser to find the right folder where the file Template is stored and open it that way. Choose the drop down menu File, and click on “open”, and it will take you to your image library and you can click on the folders and follow the instructions in the program.)

3. To put the images you’ve already displayed one by one in the threads in Pastel forum into the template, you find that image in the Image folder/library, left click on it, open it in Paint in exactly the same way as you did with the Template. (Don’t start from Paint, see parenthesis in 2, it only messes things up.)

4. Now you have two images open in Paint, the Template and the painting. The template is of the right size for WC. But you need to change the size of the pic of the painting. (Just trust me, it is not enough to shrink it by dragging corners.) In the top toolbar, click on Image/Picture (fourth word from left in my version), and a dropdown menu will open. Click on “change size”, and it gives you choices, so choose “size of image” (“resize image”).(Attribute won’t work, as it shrinks the frame but not the picture.) In the window that opens, you will find two boxes where you can change the percentage. Here is where you will have to experiment to find the right percentage. Type 10 (%) into *both* boxes for height and length.

Click on “OK”. The image on your screen should now be resized.

5. Press the keys (on keyboard) “CTRL” and the letter “a” (ctrl+a). This highlights the whole picture. Then press ctrl+c, which copies the picture to a temporary memory. Don’t close the picture, as you may have to return to it to resize. (But do close it when you have the right size, to get rid of clutter on screen.)

6. Bring the Template up on top of the workspace. You find it in the bottom toolbar on your screen, a little Paint icon button with the name of the file. Click on the name of the file for the Template and it comes up on the screen.

Press the keys ctrl+v, and your thumbnail is pasted into the template. Move the cursor (with the mouse) over the thumbnail, and the drag-tool that looks like a plus with arrowheads will show automatically. Press down the left key of the mouse to drag the thumb to the slot with the right number. If the thumb is too large or small, press the keys on the keyboard CTRL and z (ctrl+z) and it will back you up one step, that is, undo the insert of the thumb. (It is not smart to use the handles at the corners of the thumb to resize it, as the height/width ratio isn’t locked or linked. They change individually. But if you have a steady hand and a good eye, this is a convenient method.)

Find the file of the painting in the bottom toolbar, bring it up, and try another percentage. If you want to go back to the original size (remember, you have a shrunk version visible), just undo the shrinking with ctrl+z. If you do that, and know that 10% was too large by just little, resize it with, say 8% (both height and width). If you choose to work from the 10% thumb, remember it is now 100%, so try shrinking it with, say, 80%. After some noodling back and forth, you will find the right percentage. You can only use the mouse to fine-tune the placement of the thumb in the template.

(Mark ---)

Choose the File drop down menu, and click on “save as”, choose a name and place for the gallery (this will let you keep the original template, you create a copy of it with the thumb inserted.)

Go back to the pic of the painting, and close it without saving, unless you want to save the thumb, then you save it as a new file.

7. Repeat the process from 3 to the mark of (Mark ---) for the next pictures. But use the file where the first thumb was inserted, forget the original template. After placing each picture in the right slot, from now on use the keys ctrl+s, that will finish the pasting, for each thumb, every time. (Changing your mind about something at this point still allows you to back up with ctrl+z, but it will remove the thumb entirely.)

8. When you want to post your gallery, just do what you normally do to post a picture in WC.

By the way, getting rid of white space around a picture can be done by placing the cursor on the lower right handle in the corner, and dragging it closer to the picture. Do this before resizing the picture.

End of Tutorial

Hint: This method can also be used to create a WC siggy banner. Tricky part is to size the 'template' space right.

Charlie

Mary Y
10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Charlie ,
Thank you once again. I saved your template and I have made my gallery (up to week three)I used Gimp and your instructions for the signature banner. Now I just need to upload it when I have done 20 paintings.
mary

Colorix
10-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Great, Mary, especially as Gimp is a mystery to me!

Check with the powers-that-be, namely Deborah and Katherine, they may want us to upload the full galleries only at the end of the challenge. That is how I remember it, but even I don't trust my memory nowadays... :-)

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Unless Kat has some other plan, I think it would be fun to start a thread at the end of the first four week period and upload our gallery shots there, then keep that open for anyone who follows along into November or beyond. You can check out other galleries in some of the other forums.

Deborah

SonyaJ
10-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Thank you so much for creating this gallery template, Charlie, *and* including such detailed instructions for adding the photos! I have PSE 4 and I wasn't aware of the temporary memory save or the "ctrl-v". I had previously been doing the "place" method of putting images on a background layer to create composites.

Mine are all on there, and I think I'll have to do enough extras just to make a full 20 images :).

Colorix
10-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Deb, that'd be nice, if Kat agrees! (I've managed number 6, as a warm-up today, I'll catch up in December....)

Sonya, thank you! Detailed, because that was what I would have wanted when I was less experienced. (Not that I'm much experienced now, but slowly learning more and more.) I just hated instructions that said "create a layer and mask..." I didn't know what 'layer' was, well, the word is obvious, but what did it mean in this context? Still haven't figured out how to use masks, but now I understand it a bit more. I think I discovered that the ctrl+v created new layers because I did exactly the same as in Word when copying and pasting... LOL!

Charlie

Nansketch
10-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Charlie,

I haven't been in this thread for a few days -- I see that you have been working really hard -- WOW!!! these are great, thanks for doing them.

I have to admit, as much as this challenge got me outside my comfort zone with pastels, it also got me to work in PSE and figure a few things out. What a bonus!!!

Thanks to Deb, Charlies, Kathryn, all the participants -- to everyone involved -- this has really been fun.

Nancy

Ruthie57
10-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all your hard work with these tutorials. I don't have PSE but I have windows paint so will have a go tomorrow. I'll have to print off the instructions though!

Colorix
10-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Ruthie, that is what they are for. Does it work?

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, let's create a new thread at the end of Week 4 that will contain only the galleries - then we can leave that one open and stickied, while I take the other weeks off the top.

I'm up to Week 3 - hoping to catch up this week.

Are we on for another Challenge for next month? Or shall we take a breather while everyone catches up?

Ruthie57
10-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Ruthie, that is what they are for. Does it work?

Charlie

Yes thanks Charlie. It worked fine. I have dragged the images to fit the boxes and that has made them a bit squat as they were square and that's put them into rectangular format. But you can still see the colour variations which is the main thing.

I had no idea you could re-size photos in paint!! I can use that now instead of waiting ages for HP Photosmart to open. So double thanks for that!

Colorix
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Ruthie, you can just leave white space around two sides of the square format, no need to squat them, I'm doing just that.

Kat, are many people behind? (I just finished week two...) Hm, we'd lose forward momentum if we pause. So my vote is for going on, even though I'd need time to catch up. Who'll do any artwork in December, anyway, eh? That could be a catch-up month? Just my opinion, I'll go with whatever is decided. (And catch up!)

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm a week behind - not sure about anyone else yet. This is going to be a tough week to get done - but painting at night has helped, although the colors are coming out a bit bizarre :)

Deborah Secor
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I think we might lose momentum, as Charlie suggests. However, rather than it being another challenge, I'm going ot continue with this one through the third week in November. My eighth week will end on Nov. 24, just before Thanksgiving. Entropy is taking its toll already! But I'll persevere. I don't think it matters if we fall behind. We can post the third, fourth, fifth weeks, etc., whenever we complete them, can't we?

Deborah

Nansketch
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Deb, Kat, Charlie,

Can't thank you enough for all the work you've put into this challenge. As a viewer, the challenge is great to see everyone's contributions and styles. As a participant, it was fun, educational and challenging. I hope to keep up in November with at least 2 per week -- we'll see.

Nancy

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks Nan - it's been fun!

Okay, the Gallery thread is open and we have only 2 galleries posted. I know, I know - mine isn't there either, but those who have completed October, please post!

Tressa
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Tryyyin....not enough hours...lol

SonyaJ
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Ugh - me either [re no time]! I haven't had much time to spend here, and haven't caught up on any of the new galleries w/ comments, etc. :o I finished my final two challenges for last week, but still haven't taken pics of them for the week 4 or to put in the final gallery.

I have been checking and enjoying those that others are putting up, though :).

norm60
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Deborah, I first saw this in PM and thought it was a great idea. Later I got to thinking, I need to do that. Then saw your challenge and got inspired again. So now I need to think of something simple.
So here's my pledge
I will paint 3 paintings per week for the month of December in this size: 10 x 10 and in this amount of time: 30 min. each.Signed: pochade1

Now I'm off to buy an egg timer :thumbsup:
Thanks for doing this.

Deborah Secor
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Great, norm60. Glad you'll be posting...

I need to get into the studio today and do a couple more myself!

For those continuing, you can still post your weekly paintings in the threads devoted to them, or if you prefer you can post them in your own threads. Just don't 'forum flood' with six separate posts in one day or something... Here's the ***October Challenge - Gallery Thread*** (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591013)which has all the weekly links in post #1 for you.

And if anyone has more November work, we also have the ***November Challenge*** (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590530)thread where you can post work...in your spare time, which we all seem to be too short of already!! :wink2:

Deborah

Colorix
11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I behind on being behind on catching up on catching up to catch up.

Colorix
11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Hoplessly behind now, but I'll try to get up to 20 variations before the end of th year. Too many good things happened at once.

Deborah Secor
12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else find it amazing that we're halfway through December? Where on earth did the time go??? Well, in the spirit of end of the year housekeeping, we need to clean up a few things here...

This thread (and the October and November Challenge threads) will be moved to the Library as of the end of the year. That means you can look at them but you can't post. If you have an ongoing challenge, please don't let that stop you! Just start your own thread, include "Challenge" in the title, and update us regularly as to your progress in that same thread.

Remember that when you post something new the thread rises to the top of the forum list, so people will see it and know to check for new work. If you see a Challenge thread be sure to look and comment, to encourage people. (And if I miss something, send me a PM! I'm happy to take a peek, too. I don't mind having someone tap on my shoulder.)

If you decide to take on the Challenge, it's not too late, but you, too, should start ONE THREAD where you post all your Challenge paintings. Just keep updating things there.

Do me a favor, gang, and have pity on the Mods here. This is a busy forum, so let's not make them chase all over the place having to cobble together several threads into one. Thanks so much.

So, does this place look fairly spiffy now, or do we still need to tidy up things? (Housekeeping was never my greatest skill!) Questions? I'll try to answer or find out who can...

Meanwhile, has anyone actually finished the challenge? If so, please point out what you gleaned from it. That's as valuable as seeing the work you've done, I think!

Deborah

Jancee
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I may be the last one across the line, but I'm determined to finish the race....

Deborah Secor
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
First, last--who cares? Keep going, Jan...

Deborah

Studio-1-F
12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Snowbound has some benefits! Here are mine to date:

Jan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2009/12504-mortlake_composite5_white_grid_web.jpg

Mary Y
12-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Jan ,
these are all lovely. I think I like the first and the last best but it is a close call.
Mary