PDA

View Full Version : Tip for using Artisan fast drying medium

greywolf-art
09-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I keep hearing people complaining about the Artisan fast drying medium, which is not surprising really the medium can be quite sticky, in fact its almost like painting with treacle sometimes, but there is a way round this.

I always mix a bit of artisan thinners into some fast drying medium in a pallette dipper before a painting session, this greatly improves the handling of the medium and has no effect on the drying speed :)

You can also mix Artisan linseed oil with the fast drying medium for a different handling feel, again this seems to still dry pretty quickly (approx 1-2 days)

the fast drying medium (once thinned to a useable consistency) is ideal for glazing effects as well as speeding up drying times, and used in combination with the thinners and oils can be tailored to fit your personal painting preferences in terms of handling.

couturej
09-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Graham, thank you sharing the tip on the fast drying medium. I was going to pick some up at one time and decided not to after looking at it. It looked really thick. The saleslady actually pulled it off the shelf after taking a look at it.

Fabulous
09-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Graham,
isn't it dangerous to use a fasr-drying glaze on top of "normal" layers?
I have learnt that each layer should dry slower than the layers below ("fat over lean"), or you may expereince problems...
Fab

greywolf-art
09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
yes I should have mentioned that if I'm going to be glazing with fast drying medium I also use the medium in the layers below too and make sure they have had a few days to dry first, that way the fat over lean rule is preserved.

A lot depends on the thickness of the layers too, glazing over a thick layer of paint is always going to be potentially problematic, but glazing over a thin layer thats been dried over a week or so is generally safer.

coutrej I believe that some of the earlier batches of Artisan fast drying medium were thicker than the current batches which have been reformulated, its possible that the shopkeeper had an old batch that has maybe thickened even more on the shelf, certainly the most recent bottle I purchased seems to be more fluid that the older bottles I've had

Glenbob
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I use the fast dry Artisan medium (thinned) in my underpainting, to get everything blocked in. The fast setup time allows me to correct shapes, proportions and perspective without having to wait. The drying speed did catch me by surprise, the first couple of time I used it, but now I'm likin' it.
Yes, the fat over lean (or slow dry over fast) rule applies.