PDA

View Full Version : It must be a man thing

Glenbob
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Okay, I spit on my brush. There, I said it. But when I'm in the fever of scouring oil (H20 mixable) onto canvass, sometimes I run out of water. It happens. I've tried a little bit of whatever I'm imbibing ate the moment - wine, milk, beer, absinthe (no, just kidding about the absinthe), rarely water, after Benjamin Franklin's admonition, and found that just spitting on the brush is a darned good way of getting on with things. Now, please bear in mind that I live in an old three story Greek revival where water is a full flight of stairs, in either direction away from my studio. Am I the only one who does this?

Shirl Parker
09-26-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd fill a gallon bottle and keep it handy.

couturej
09-26-2009, 10:03 AM
You've taken the saying "putting yourself into your art" to whole new level.:lol: It certainly is a great option if you don't have water. :)

Jim D
09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not going to share the idea that first came to my mind. :lol: ;)

greywolf-art
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Turner used to do it apparently, and so do I from time to time, and when I wash my brushes, once they are rinsed clean I shape them with my mouth to preserve the points ect

Glenbob
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
That's a neat idea, but my wife, the professional chemical safety expert, would clobber me if she saw me with my brushes in my mouth.

dcorc
09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd also suggest that paintbrushes should go nowhere near your mouth.

If you want to reshape brushes after washing, dipping them in a dilute solution of gum arabic (its used by watercolourists) and shaping them as they dry is a good approach. Let them dry well, and you'll find it brings the brush back into shape - then rinse before reusing.

Dave

greywolf-art
09-29-2009, 06:38 AM
I make sure the brushes are well washed and rinsed before doing this, but I guess I shouldn't really