PDA

View Full Version : My Pollock-esque Nude

mackb
09-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Acrylic on canvas, 54X46"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2009/164359-014.JPG

I present my nude for our art club's upcoming nude show. I did it just to tick them all off since most of the club members either hate or are offended by "childish attempts at art." That's a direct quote. A few of our memebers were "offended" by my drip paintings. So for them I did this one large.

yor comments and critiques are welcome....

RandyC
09-19-2009, 12:31 AM
LOL, I love your attitude. A man after my own heart. :)

quills
09-19-2009, 07:08 AM
LOL, I love your attitude. A man after my own heart. :)
And mine... paintings that offend are reaching into minds :thumbsup:

RTT
09-19-2009, 01:35 PM
:lol: good luck with this. I hope you are successful in expanding a few minds. :)
I like the idea of working a representational theme into a Pollock-esque style.
What acrylics do you use or what media do you add to make them pourable/drippable?

mackb
09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Randy and quils, there are times my back gets up and their reaction to my "pollocks" has driven me to declare war on small minds. I will get over it I'm sure, but I was a lot ticked at the time, when they snubbed me and refused to even look at my presentation of my "pollock panels." One lady was actually put out and another angry at my "pretension at art." So for them....

Rtt, "Lord of the Arts", I hope I can expand a few minds too. Yet as I told my two painting buddies this morning, I realize with horror that 90% of our club are realist painters or pretty close. I can only name a few who are brave enough to try things outside their comfort zone. Sad, very sad.

Me, I started in abstract and then just last year, got into acrylics and was doing a lot of realism, until June when I snapped. I revolted and went back to abstract for a sanity break.

I used cans of left over house paint, all water based, and applied it with a paint stick. See my next one, forest, to see a freer approach. not all paints have the same viscosity so they don't flow as well as others. That's a real hassle for me at the moment as I'm trying to get them all the same and then I can really do some neat stuff. Stay tuned.

I must say, as I dared in the open critique forum, I challenge everyone to grab all that paint in the garage or basement and use it on unstretched canvas on the floor and just go for it. You will find it liberating to do something completly nonrepresentational.

T.A.L.ENT.
09-19-2009, 02:32 PM
im glad they made you mad ...result is a very cool painting...stay mad....show them rascals...wtg:thumbsup:

timE
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I like the original approach here.. I was tempted to try something like this a few years ago but never followed through.. I got sidetracked.. I'm glad you went ahead and did it though because it turned out very well..

Eraethil
09-19-2009, 04:35 PM
and refused to even look at my presentation of my "pollock panels"

The best revenge is out-selling them and laughing when you hear your detractors sullenly mutter "there is no accounting for taste." I'll predict these two very closed minds will stay closed, but you'll have a positive impact on those nearer the fence. Unsheathe the paint stick and charge!

InkyEss
09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Good for you, Mack, sock it to 'em! :clap:

I would dearly love to try this kind of painting.... it must be fabulous to be so free. :thumbsup:

mackb
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for your kindness Inky, Eraethil, and talent, I only wish I lived in a much bigger place to be able to have enough people who appreciate abstracts, to buy a few. I used to sell abstracts in Totonto when I lived there a decade ago, but up here in the boonies, ther's little hope.

I don't think I'm so free, maybe less talented than most, but I found a real release when I did these. I was able to go back to realism with gusto after these.

Tim, the only to experience it is to get a chunmk of raw canvas, throw it on the floor and have at it....just do it, the commercials say....

tpurnick
09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
the club members either hate or are offended by "childish attempts at art."

You should take these comments as a complement! Some of the great abstract expressionist painters would go as far as to paint with their weeker hand to achieve that very look.

KennD
09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi, MackB. I'm a newbie, but have been painting for over 50 years. I tried to meet Pollock but missed by a year-and-a-half. Met DeKooning and Kline, though. I was always impressed with Pollock, Dove, Shahn, Kline, Hartung, Tinguely, and so many others. I enjoyed the back-handed humor of the reaction from the reactionaries and go along with RandyC, quills, etc, but still want to concentrate on doing my own work. I did a lot of other painter's styles while in college and art school, but always felt uncomfortable in doing so. However, it must be fun to cock a snoot.

mackb
09-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure how to take that TP, my right handed attempt is only as good as their left handed?? lol I find this kind of painting a lot of fun, if not very easy. but it was very liberating. This would only be better if I could get people to buy them. I am building up an inventory (a stash in my attic) to take to Toronto one day.

Ken D, I envy your experiences and I owuld love to trade paointign ideas with you some day. Post some of your stuff so we can compare. I am but a novice compared to you. Thanks for your encouragment.

zoropb
09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I like it. I also like the really offensive size too. Sure would be fun to see their reaction. heeheee

Sergio

mackb
09-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I intend to make the painting the centre of the show, that will make a lot of them steam...stay tuned...

varna
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi mackb, great art love it!!and great attitude!

mackb
09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey Varna, long time no hear. Great to hear from you. Do you post your art in this forum?