PDA

View Full Version : BFK Rives

J F
09-03-2002, 11:03 PM
I've been using this paper for so long, and I love it. Recently, I picked up some Canson paper, and it was nice, but I had little use for the background color as I mostly cover everything, anyway.

My question is: Is BFK Rives okay to use for pastels that I may want to sell? I know it is archival, and I have pastels up that I created on Rives some 8-10 years ago. And, they look good to me.......just wondering what you guys think. :) Thanks!

kck
09-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Okay, I think. Some of my highest priced works sold were on Rives BFK, and I love the stuff. Never thought past the Acid Free quality issue-- just expect that it is. Good to hear about your old paintings on it still looking good.
Should I have a higher standard? I'm just ignorant of some technical things, I guess. BTW, does Rives BFK come in different weights-- I think I've only seen the light weight at my art stores.

J F
09-04-2002, 12:35 AM
kck, Rives is acid-free, neutral pH........heavenly. And, I only know of what I can get through my handy-dandy Dick Blick catalog. They list as follows:

Rives BFK= 120lb. weight

Rives Lightweight= 77lb. weight

Rives Heavyweight= 118lb. weight

I use the stuff for paintings, drawings, collage, you name it. Some things I probably shouldn't use it for, but it's just so wonderful.

kck
09-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. So, I'm using the BFK-- I'll have to try the heavyweight.
Check out this guy's great websight, folks -- very nice.

maverick
09-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Jelaine: I love your work! Fish Study #3 brings back an exciting yet frightening memory. And pencil and lures? Fabulous!

J F
09-04-2002, 02:48 PM
You came face to face with a Gar???!!!??? Oh my. Scary prehistoric throwbacks, aren't they?

Thanks for the kind words! I wish I could motivate myself to take the time to update my current work page. I've got material stacking up and the bigger it gets, the more I dread dealing with it. LOL

maverick
09-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Years ago, I was casting an artificial lure (Fat Rap) into the Kingston Harbor (Canada), when this monster of a fish followed it in, pecked at it with its beak a couple of times, then slowly swam off. I was very close. I could have jumped in and grabbed it. I'd never seen a Gar before nor since. I made the identification from a book. I'll never forget that. What if I had caught it? I wasn't ready to barefoot waterski if you know what I mean!

Did you use glitter for this piece like Fred the shark? And are these two on canvas?

J F
09-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Glitter was used to create the fake worm on the lure for the Gar piece, yes. However, the water is just paint. And, yes. Both pieces are on canvas.

Regarding your fishing trip run-in.........I sure wouldn't bother trying to jump in and take on a Gar, either. No matter how big or how small, they still have an ugly set of teeth in a powerful beak.