PDA

View Full Version : The Overall System

Axl
09-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Since I wasn't sure where to post my comments about the system in general, I thought I'd take the liberty of creating my own thread :cat:

Scott, you are doing a FANTASTIC job! (and we all know that that's an understatement!). There was just a few things that hit me while browsing the system though. I'll adress them here.

Is there any way for us to have some sort of description of the ratings outside of the actual rating area? It is important for people who are rating a particular product to know what they are actually rating, however it seams like it might also proove to be as important for someone who is lookin at the given ratings to know what the rating stands for. For example (in the pro oil paint section), maybe have a discription somewhere about what the Transparincy rating actually stands for, and what the Opaque Covering Ability rating means, etc.

Also, in the Catagory Discriptions of the different art materials could there be a little something that says what the tool is generally used for, or what it is for that matter, and maybe tools that are associated with its use. I guess what I'm mainly itching at is something so someone who hasn't used, say, Water Soluble oil paints before could go in and read and be like "Dude. I'd like to try that!" or in the case of the mediums "Wow, maybe I should get some of that to use with my paints".

T'was just a thought :D

scottb
09-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Good thoughts - adding these to the to-do list. :)

scottb
09-04-2002, 10:54 AM
The first suggestion is in - just hold your mouse over the little question marks. :)

scottb
09-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Also, most of the categories don't have descriptions yet. I'm still adding them here and there. Check out the oil paints (pro) category for one exampe of how I'm doing this.

Cheers.
Scott

Axl
09-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Awesome! The little question marks are perfect :D Your da man!

I think the best way for me to get across my idea for what to include in the catagory discription would be for me to actually come up with an example, so I'll do one for graphite pencils or something:

Graphite pencils are a popular tool for artists, and are available at many stores. A form of carbon, although graphite pencils are available in the pure graphite form most graphite pencils have ebony (another carbon form used in pencil led) to lower the costs to the consumer. The leds are available in different numbered grades, ranging from the harder H leds, to the much softer B leds. These grades create variations in the tone of the pencil mark. Used together a wide spectrum of tones can be attained.
Pencils are great because of their versitality in use and their forgiveness to mistakes by the artist. The led marks can be easily erased by the use of an eraser. Also, they can be easily blended with such tools as your own fingers of blending stumps.

My Idea for what to include in the subject catagory would prowly end up making more work for you so I can totally understand why you may not want to include such things as this in your discriptions. However, if you like the idea, since it was my original thought I would be more than happy to help in coming up with the discriptions - I have no problem in doing the research and whatnot involved (particularly if I have no clue what is the deal with a particular tool). I just imagined that it might be a great addition to an already info-packed system! I know I surtainly woudlnt mind learning a little more about such tools - expecially if I read up on a quick introduction like that and realized that I wanted to try the new medium!

so tell me what you think, lol, even if you hate it!

scottb
09-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Ah, I see - very nice looking, descriptive, and helpful, especially for newcomers.

Ok, you volunteered - have at it - lol.

Start up a new thread here called: Axl's Category Descriptions, and I'll work em in. :)

Axl
09-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Okay, Awesome! :D:D

Axl
09-05-2002, 05:50 PM
I'll start getting together the descriptions for some of the catagories that you already have stuff put in and then try and get them together as you start adding to different catagories ;)
*runs off and starts researching*