PDA

View Full Version : Narrative painting

kopo
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I've never used any other oils, but Water Soluble. Can't abide the smell and the effect of original oils. The only drawback I have with W&N Artisan is the difficulty getting the yellows out of the tube. Quite exhausting, constantly requires wine replenishment.
Anyway I've just finished a painting for inclusion in a local exhibition.
At the moment it's called 'He's gone'.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2009/101266-s_gone.jpg

Susan H
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Great job! I like paintings like this that have a certain mystery. Also like the shapes in the background and the colors. I never noticed the Artisan yellows were so thick--I thin mine down with Artisan Thinner using a small palette knife to the desired consistency. Thanks for posting--I'll look forward to seeing more of your paintings! Susan

jmckelvin
09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
The first thing that catches my eye is that blanket the colors have almost a rainbow effect for me, but I love that. There is just so much comfort in that blanket, it really contrasts against that isolated moment. At least that's what I get out of it. Great work :clap:

couturej
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Fantastic painting! I love the colors. Conveys a lot of emotion. :)

kopo
09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you for the comments. They're very encouraging.
Jack

Fabulous
09-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Jack, I like it, especially the rainbow effect on the blanket

I find that the colors are not shining enough: you are moving from a very cold shine to a very cold graysh shadow in the yellow area. I think you should have some warmer yellow areas

The other small problem I see is that the two sides of the blanket are a little too rigid. looks more wood than fabric. I think it would be enough to change the "tube" shapes into something narrower on the top and larger at the bottom, with a curve profile instead of straight.

I am using artisan as well and having no problems with yellows. Maybe you have just got bad luck with those particular tubes...

Fab

kopo
10-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks Fab. The Painting has just been rejected by the selection committee at a forthcoming exhibition. So, an opportunity for improvement.
:crying:
Jack