PDA

View Full Version : September 2009 - Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

Weezy
08-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi all!

This is my first challenge and I know it is a day early, but I live in CA and many of you are in the UK or some other part of Europe, and so I wanted this to be ready for you. So come on September!

I have chosen three pictures, all mine so there is no copyright issue with any of them.

1.The first is of a barrel type cactus at a local mission here in CA. The challenge with this piece is to not use a straight green or brown, but to mix those colors, or use completely different ones as you would in a fauve painting. This should be interesting. Crop it any way you like, or do it full on. Anyone for a pink cactus??? Go ahead and use those colors that you never reach for. Chartreuse, turquioze......alizarin.

2. The second is of the boats docked in the Morro Bay Marina. There are long shadows and this led me to this next challenge. Paint this as a night scene. No sunny views allowed. Here's your chance to do something different. And its not October yet....so no spooks allowed.

3. The third and final piece is a tree root ball that has been disintegrating on top of the soil in the Sequoia National Forest. The challenge with this piece is to do a piece larger than you normally do. If you work 5x7, double it. Use wild colors, if you want. Here is a chance to do a wildly abstract piece, that is truly still a representational piece. The best of both worlds.

The whole point of this month is to get out of your comfort zone.

I am on vacation on motorcycle going to Iowa for a family wedding and will check in from time to time, to see how you are all interpretting the challenges. You have until Thursday to ask questions, and then I am on the road and access might be tenuous for me.

Reactions, anyone???

SammyH
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Weezy,

Have a great trip. I didn't realize that you are a motorcycle babe. Do you have your own bike or do you ride behind DH? Enjoy and don't get sunburned.

Nice choices for the challenge - very challenging. It's been on my mind to try an abstract and I just may do my first challenge using the tree root ball. I've copied it and will use it for my desktop photo to study for a while and see what I come up with.

Thanks for posting these for September.

Weezy
08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Sammy. I'm glad you are finding something to your taste. I realize these challenges may be pushing some out of their natural boundaries, but this is a chance to be totally emotional with color.....no matching to worry about. So roll with it! Its really a freeing thing.
Actually we just sold my Harley (couldn't hold it up anymore with the artificial joints - bionic ain't what it's cracked up to be). We are going on our new BMW LT model - its a big black cruiser. I will be riding pillion.....love that term. I just hope we don't get hailed on like the last time. Man did that hurt!

oldrockchick
08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Thansk for these images and the wonderful ideas in the challenges. I've been feeling a little 'Fauve' for a while. When I started to paint 3 years ago I wanted to do it as a form of expression but I have ended up being so busy trying to make things techincally correct I have lost that freedom. I think I will enjoy this challenge.

Enjoy that motorcycle. I used to go all over on the back of motorbikes in my youth. I fell off a couple too ;)

Weezy
08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
I am glad you like them Lin. I do have an extra shot of an Arizona Mission if none of these perk anyone's interest, but would need to know if anyone wants it posted before we leave.
I think that there is room for some personal intepretation with these. Especially color-wise.
I will be anxious to see what you all post.
Have fun!:wave:

Pat Isaac
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Louise for the great pics and have a wonderful trip.

Pat

ourcassidy!
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Weezy, thanks for posting the challenges. I have been a lurker pretty much up to now, but will give one of them a go if I can fit it into my schedule. Since I have all month I should be able to figure a day or two here.

I see you are in So. CA...I hope you are safe from the fires! Have a great trip on your bike. Touring bikes are so comfy...we have a Honda goldwing and enjoy the long rides. Didn't get one in this summer, but last we went to Montana from Central Coast of California...

S...thanks, and keep the shinny side up!

Pam

Scarefishcrow
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I have been a lurker pretty much up to now, but will give one of them a go if I can fit it into my schedule. Since I have all month I should be able to figure a day or two here.

Pam

Pam, as a former lurker, welcome to the Oil Pastel Channel here on WC. We are glad you are going to give the che challenge a try. and I also wnat to thank Louise for a real challenge that will make us push our envelope a bit!

Just in case you have not figured out what ius available, the following informations should be helpful in showing you where things are and also links to threads about common topics.
Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

Weezy
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Pam! I'm always happy to meet someone who flosses the bugs out of her teeth! That's a happy biker! Right now its a toss as to whether the trip is by car or bike. Hubby gave me his cold, and a full face helmet is not the thing if I'm still sneezing. Too much sharing is what I attribute it to.

I am safe from the fires for the moment. I live outside San Diego, and we had our time a few years ago. I am concerned for the LA victims. Here's to a mercifully short fire season this year. I don't care what they pay firemen, it ain't enough!!!

Please do try one of the challenges. Morro Bay should be familiar, but do it as a night scene. All you need to do is take out all the warm colors in your available palette - use only the cooler colors, and then lower the value scale. Its amazing how that works.:D

PiscesWoman
09-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi Weezy,

I'm going to attempt to do the tree root ball :wink2: - the only problem is which colour to use!! I love colour!:heart:

halthepainter
09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Weezy, thanks for the photos. I already have an idea for a night boat scene.

Weezy
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Great! Karen, any color but a black/gray combo as in the photo. How about some golds and purples? You can get some great bronzes with that combo.

And Hal, were you saying that you had a different picture you were doing as a night boat scene? Just curious. You could try this one too, you know. Then compare and see what the differences are and what works best. Post them here. We'd love to see.

halthepainter
09-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Great!

And Hal, were you saying that you had a different picture you were doing as a night boat scene? Just curious. You could try this one too, you know. Then compare and see what the differences are and what works best. Post them here. We'd love to see.

The idea that popped into mind employs part of your photo. It's just a starting point, I'll see how my idea for a night scene matures over the next few days.

Weezy
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Great! I can't wait to see it.

Art Pie
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
And I'm aboard for the ride on this challenge. Will enjoy the freedom of colour choice.
I've got a busy month ahead so I may not be too early with my pieces. But as I usually procrastinate over doing my accounts, I may very well do the challenge instead :evil: :wink2:

Great pics by the way Weezy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jmcedeno
09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Pam! I'm always happy to meet someone who flosses the bugs out of her teeth! That's a happy biker! Right now its a toss as to whether the trip is by car or bike. Hubby gave me his cold, and a full face helmet is not the thing if I'm still sneezing. Too much sharing is what I attribute it to.

I am safe from the fires for the moment. I live outside San Diego, and we had our time a few years ago. I am concerned for the LA victims. Here's to a mercifully short fire season this year. I don't care what they pay firemen, it ain't enough!!!

Please do try one of the challenges. Morro Bay should be familiar, but do it as a night scene. All you need to do is take out all the warm colors in your available palette - use only the cooler colors, and then lower the value scale. Its amazing how that works.:D
Hello? fellow Californian we're neighbors (almost) I'm from LA, you're lucky to be away from this smoke we've been having for several days, the view from my balcony is the San Gabriel Mountains where the main fire is located, at night the orangy glow in the smoke cloud is weary.
Now, back to the challenge; I'd like to combine your photo of the boats with one I shot in Morro Bay few years ago, is not a night scene but very close, I shot it at dusk. You're right about the firemen I call them Angels and I'm very sorry for the three we've lost.

Weezy
09-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I am so glad you seem to like the pictures. I agonised over them .....spent and entire Sunday afternoon finding and weeding out several. I wanted this to be a California experience for those of you not familiar with our landscape.

Jose stay indoors...that smoke and ash can do you damage. Are you in any danger?

If you can combine shots, go ahead and do so. This is about letting yourself go and see where you end up. It can be an enormous and really pleasant surprise.

Art Pie
09-02-2009, 06:08 AM
In a battle between doing my farm accounts or the op challenge......the challenge won :lol:

I spent about an hour on this sketch of the cactus. No green or brown stick was used. But I did get out my metallic op's, but of course the metallics don't show up in photo's. :p

You will have to imagine that the background is silver and metallic pink. And in the body of the cactus I have used metallic purple, blue and turquoise, and an ordinary yellow op.

Impressionist/slightly abstracted (or maybe 'distracted' would be a better word in my artistic deviations at the present time) :cool:

8" x 11.5" Bockingford watercolour paper 300gsm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2009/190879-cactus.jpg

I might do a different colourway tomorrow when I need some more distractions from the paperwork :evil:

bchlvr
09-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Your cactus is gorgeous Cy! Love the colors!

oldrockchick
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Cy - it is an absolute explosion of colour! I too, would put art befor accounts.... yuk I hate maths!

I intend to have a go at this. In fact I was sort of 'dreaming' lol of the possibilities last night. I was having a restless night becsue I was full of creativity and too tired to do anything about it. I was imagining all sorts of colours lol

SammyH
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Cy,

You certainly let your imagination run wild with these wonderful colors. I love the blue & green cactus and the purple & hot pink stickers. Very nice! It would be great to be able to see the metallic colors.

Pat Isaac
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
What a great cactus, Cy. Very creative with the color and I love all those spines....

Pat

Weezy
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
GOLLY! This so far exceeds my expectations! I love it! This is EXACTLY the type of thing I was hoping for! :clap: :clap:

I am home sick today, so I may try a start on one of them myself. :o

BUT THIS - YOURS - is just great!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Has anyone else done a bit on any of these?

halthepainter
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Lovely work Cy. Excellent background colors for your subject.

Scarefishcrow
09-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Cy,
What a contribution dealing with such a "prickly" subject!:rolleyes:

You did a great job depicting the cactus furrows and the spines (which I shudder when I think of trying to do them).

Congrats on a great "stretch the envelope" challenge finish!

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

SammyH
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Here is the reference photo provided by Weezy. I did post it on my desktop and studied it for a while and I began to see an underwater seascape with an eerie monster.:eek: I outlined what I saw in the photo below.
1) Small red at top left - snail type critter.
2) Small blue at top center - cute little fish riding on a monsters face.
3) Big red top center - big scary monster fish.:eek:
4) Big red bottom center - fish with pointed nose.
5) Red and blue bottom left - blue is electric eel about to chump down on a
crab which is outlined in red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2009/110490-Abstract.jpg

Now, here is my abstract of this scene. I did not attempt to follow the patterns exactly. You may spot a few more little fish if you look closely.

It's not a great masterpiece but it was fun. I was trying to be loose and not blend everything as I am prone to do. It's 7x10" (18x25 cm) on 140 hp wc paper lightly coated with clear Colorfix primer. Holbein and Senns.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2009/110490-Abstract_-1.jpg

marieUK
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Wonderful imagination Sammy, love all the creatures:lol: Really like your piece,loose and colourful. Been toying with having a go with this one myself, I keep going back to look at it that usually means its calling to me:)
:wave: Marie

Pat Isaac
09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
What a great interpretation, Sammy. I like the underwater colors and the hidden fish. Looks like fun.

pat

Scarefishcrow
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I like the way you developed a theme from this seemingly amorphic mass, Sammy!

Bill

PiscesWoman
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Simply super-duper, Sammy!! I love it. Although the fish/water interpretation shouldn't surprise me, knowing that you reside in that very aquatic state of Florida. Water is probably in your consciousness a fair bit.

SammyH
09-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Thank you, Marie, Pat, Bill and Karen.

Karen, it probably would surprise you to know that we never go to the beach and we are not boaters. My face is a bit scarred from skin cancer surgeries and I advoid the sun completely unless I'm lathered in sunscreen which I hate.

PiscesWoman
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
...Karen, it probably would surprise you to know that we never go to the beach and we are not boaters. My face is a bit scarred from skin cancer surgeries and I advoid the sun completely unless I'm lathered in sunscreen which I hate.

Sammy, I didn't really mean to imply that you were a beachy person, just that it would be in your consciousness because of where you live, and the culture around you. I also am not much of an outdoors person, in fact I hate excessive heat. We in Australia are bombarded with a "Slip, slop, slap" campaign against skin cancer because of the massive swim/surf/sun culture here. But even though I personally don't sunbathe or go swimming, it is in my consciousness because I live in a coastal city in a country known for its hot, sunny weather.

Weezy
09-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi all! Here I am checking in from Iowa. I will be in and out for the next two weeks because we are visiting for a wedding, and I am having to pirate somebody's computer to check in on you.:evil:
And from the looks of it, I am glad I did.
WOW - Sammy great abstraction! I love your take on the subject. Its unique and original. :thumbsup:
You did say how big it is, 7x10? That is part of the challenge. I love the way this flows, and so gives the feeling of water.

oldrockchick
09-09-2009, 06:20 AM
I do plan to join in but I've been scraping the barrel lately wiht supports. I'm hoping my mission today will be a success and I can get something to work on - then I'll join in.

oldrockchick
09-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Sammy - what an incredible and interesting interpretation of this theme - lovely

I did this in about an hour on a free sample of colourfix, the first time I used it. I found that when I laid down a thin layer of OP and applied OMS with the tip of a CS it took the colour off so it was hard to underwash, but I also found that I didn't really need one. I found my fingers smoothed better than the CS as it left scuff arks which I had to go over to flatten out anyway. I like this paper, but I may have to change a little to get used to using it.

I need to get hold of some!

I did the Barrel Cactus and found it was really hard to do without making it look like a pineapple... so I changed the angle.

Here it is

5" x 7" sort of a light umber coloufix (colour not on sample)
Neos and Senns.. no greens or browns as per challenge!
Barrel Cactus
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2009/179312-OP_Sept_09_Barrel_Cactus.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Great interpretation, Lin. I really like the energy in this and the bold strokes. Yeah, I think colorfix is great too.

Pat

Art Pie
09-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Well done Lin, great definition in the 'spindly' bits on top. Great colours too.
I've yet to try the colourfix, so thank you for your input on using it.

marieUK
09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Love this Lin, real bold strokes and fantastic colours:thumbsup:

halthepainter
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Lin, I like you interpertation. It's exciting and energetic.

SammyH
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Very nice, Lin. The cactus is interesting in the colors you have chosen and I love the colors in the sky.

Shirl Parker
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
...and applied OMS...

?huh?

oldrockchick
09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Odourless Mineral Spirits

Scarefishcrow
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Lin,

Very bold and expressive piece. You did a good job with a "prickly" subject!!!!

Bill
:clap: :clap:

Shirl Parker
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2009/179312-OP_Sept_09_Barrel_Cactus.jpg

You did some really good work here, Lin.

I have used the colour shapers with a bit of linseed oil and it moves the OP around quite nicely. It worked really well to give me a nice smooth looking sky and water.

I recently ordered and received some Zest-It from across the pond, and I think I will try some of it with OP the next time I'm in the mood.

Weezy
09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Wow, that is a really nice piece. The quality of the work that is coming form the subjects I provided is really heartening. I love the various interpretations of the same subject. Great work Lin!

Spice3514
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Dear Louise and everyone

Great job on the cactuses (cactii?) Cy and Lin. And v. expressive abstract tree root Sam, I love the colour in it.

As for me, I was very intrigued with the boats challenge - could I paint something which looked like night by using cold colours? I have started, but not yet finished. I know that my time for painting is going to be in short supply this month, so I thought I'd post where I was up to now just in case I couldnt finish the picture. Here is the result so far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2009/183415-Sept-09-WC-Challenge-Boats-.jpg

Canson Mi-teintes paper (you can clearly see the honey-comb surface) with Neopastels.

. I'm thinking I now need to darken the boats/foreground objects. Also make the moon white/grey, not yellow.

By the way, I drew this freehand without measuring and I'm not very concerned about getting the right proportions - for me, this was about portraying a scene which said 'night time'.
The other big failing, and which I know is glaring, is the inconsistencies of the shadows. I can only apolgise and say 'will do better next time'.!
Thanks for any comments.
B.

Scarefishcrow
09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Brenda, what a great start and to a really challenging task.

I'll make some comments and observations, but take them just as suggestions:

a. I think you are on the right path when you suggest darkening the foreground. I think the water is well done, but should become progressively darker as you move away from the full moon.

b. When depicting the sun or moon reflecting in water, the tendency is to see sharper, narrow definition near the horizon that widens and softens as you move away from the horizon.

c. The moon is a very soft, diffuse "glow" and as such shadows, IMHO, would be soft edged and diffuse.

d. The perspective on the bow of the yellow boat, esp. to the right as we look, seems off to me.

e. The land at the horizon is quite sharp edged and you might "pull" a bit of the color upward randomly to make it seem less uniform.

f. You did a great job on depicting the size of the moon near the horizon as large. I have always been fascinated by the fact that our perception of the size of the moon and sun is such that they seem to increase in size as they near the horizon.

g. I like the colors, especially the delicate pink mixed with the blue of the water in the moon's reflection.

I think you have grasped the spirit of the challenge to push the envelope and challenge your "comfort zone".

I hope you don't think me overcritical, but since you asked for comments I wanted to give as much help and suggestions for you to consider as I could. I think this is a very challenging "challenge" from Louise and one I think anyone would find difficult. You have made a fantastic effort so far!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bill

Weezy
09-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I am so glad to see somebody pick the hardest challenge of all three.
I agree with the above comments, but would go one step further, and say toss out your white. Make a level 2 or 3 be your lightest value(white being value one in this case). So darken the boats and congrats to you. You are making this work.
When I did my last oil from day to night, I decided what value was going to be my lightest and held it in abeyance. I used my lightest only after I had figured out the rest of the values. Then I used it as the lightest accents. That worked really well. :wave: :thumbsup:
A really good observation I made was that if I thought it was the right value, it was almost three value levels too light. :eek:

PiscesWoman
09-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Really good work Lin, on the Colourfix paper. Funnily, I have a supply of the stuff that I used frequently when using the soft pastels, but I have yet to use the oilies on it! It is great paper.

I think you and Cy have really done well with this pic. Brenda, good start with the boats! Hope you get the time to do the alterations you want to do. I know how it feels to start one of these challenges and then feel a bit rushed with it because "life" is making its demands on you.

Me - I've been really caught up with other things, and hope to make a start this afternoon.

oldrockchick
09-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Brenda - you win a baravery award for trying this... good luck. It's a ncie start Ihope you can get to finish it as I look forward to seeing it.

SammyH
09-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Brenda,

Really good start. I'll be watching to see the progression.

halthepainter
09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
As usual I took a different tact with this effort. Where as Sammy saw little fishes in the Root ball, I turned the photo upside down and saw scarry faces.

Shame on you Weezy for scaring me like that!

I also took a different tact because there was no way in H*ll my feeble skills could compare favorably with Sammy's wonderful piece.

Here is my "Monster in The Wood", 8 by 10 inches on water color paper, Gray Pas (they were a bit hard), and Erengi's to finish off.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2009/140488-lo_res_monster_in_the_wood.jpg

This was just a fun piece not intended for serious critique. (Just in case it wasn't obivious)

SammyH
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
BOO! Wonderful take on the root ball, Hal. Great colors throughout. You're right, it is scary.:eek: Halloween is coming!:rolleyes:

Art Pie
09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Hal, scary indeed. Love the hint of colours hiding behind bits of wood. Overall it has a ghostly quality.

Sorry I somehow missed your fishes Sammy. I've scrolled back now for a butchers (and in case no one knows the meaning of "butchers", it is Cockney for "look" ) :D Anyway... nice take of the tree roots Sammy. A bit scary too. I'll stay clear of anything that has a large mouth and sharp teeth, which some of your fish (sharks) seem to have :eek:

I continue to find it amazing that one picture can be interpreted in different ways. That is why I love these challenges that make us think about what we actually see or have to change what we see.

Brenda, your boat scene is looking good so far. I too, am looking forward to seeing where you take this night scene. Thankyou for your comment on my cactus pic too. :)

halthepainter
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi Brenda, I've attached a couple of links to work by my favorite marine artist, John Stobart (British, just in case Lin is not familiar with him). Here are two examples of how he handles a night harbor scene.

I know your piece is still a work in progress but to me it doesn't quite read as a night scene yet.

You'll probably notice how all his colors are muted and greyed down. I love how he usually puts a touch of warm light in his night scenes, from a window, street lamp or some other source.

http://www.nortonsfineart.com/artwork/Stobart/pages/seattle-mill_street.htm

http://www.nortonsfineart.com/artwork/Stobart/pages/westport_point.htm

robertsloan2
09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Wow, so far everyone has done so many interesting and gorgeous things with this month's challenge. All different, all interesting, sometimes the photo just a launching point.

Lin's barrel cactus is gorgeous and really isn't any relation to the photo, it's an amazing feat of visualization to change the angle like that. Hal, your monster is utterly cool and very woodsy. Sammy, I love that underwater scene, you took off away from the reference and kept it in a unique way.

If I try any of them it'll be the easiest challenge for me, the night scene. I've done night scenes before, constantly fiddle with them. Either of the other two challenges would take so much longer than a month to complete that I'd never finish them, the cactus for its complexity and the tree root scene for the nature of the challenge. I don't do large because if it goes over 8 x 10" or 9 x 12" it does not get finished.

Now if you'd said "or smaller," I'd have tried it on half an ACEO just to see if it could be done!

Scarefishcrow
09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Hal,

There you go again trying to convince us you are a poor, hopelessly unskilled OP artist! I don't believe it for a second!

However, I love your "fun work" and OP's seem to lend themselves to having fund with colors and blending! Sometimes when a painting isn't working (usually since I'm pathetic compared to Hal and Sammy) I just turn it into a "play with OP's piece". It may not be great art, but it can be great fun, and your take on the twisted wood is just that....Great FUN!

Bill

halthepainter
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank you Bill.

Like last month's "Astro Chicken" my "Monster in the Wood" was just for fun.

marieUK
09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Well here we go my first monthly challenge piece. Its the first time Ive had a go at being this free and easy. Its 9inx11in approx, in my defence Ive usually done a whole animal and a forest on a piece of paper this size so one tree root is a big change of scale:lol: and all in purple too.........I may never recover but then you might not either you're gonna be looking at it:lol: :lol:
All comments, suggestions most welcome

halthepainter
09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Marie, you did a wonderful job. I like your color choice.:thumbsup:

In fact I even see faces in your root system.:lol: :lol:

I'll even bet Sammy can find some little fishes.:lol: :lol:

SammyH
09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Marie,

Nice job.:thumbsup: Loose and free and definitely abstract. Pretty colors. I see some faces, too, but no fishes. Maybe the faces ate the fish!:lol:

It's good to stretch ourselves like that once in a while.

Scarefishcrow
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Marie,

Great take on the "root ball"! I can still see the anchor of your image in the original root mass from which you began to manipulate the colors to come up with a unique version of the the orginal that is quite expressive.

I also lilke your handling of colors!

Bill

Art Pie
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
A fabulous abstracted tree root Marie. It's nice to see Hal's scary monster looking quite friendly in your pic. I also love the flowing shapes that make this piece 'easy on the eye'.
Well done :thumbsup:

oldrockchick
09-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Hal - we must be on the same wavelength I was inspired likewise to put faces in the tree root, maybe now you have done it - I should change....

Marie ... it's so funky... and oh so purple.... I LOVE it!

halthepainter
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Hal - we must be on the same wavelength I was inspired likewise to put faces in the tree root, maybe now you have done it - I should change....
!

The more faces the merrier. Perhaps I'm not so strange after all, if you see faces too? :confused:

marieUK
09-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the good feedback guys, I was quite worried about posting this as its the first time Ive ever gone outside my comfort zone like this. I really enjoyed doing it, it felt really free and joyous but I didnt know how I felt about sharing not because I didnt want critisism but because I didnt know how I felt about sharing those feelings. Ive really enjoyed looking at all your paintings and I will definitely participate again:)

robertsloan2
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Marie, your purple-themed tree root system is gorgeous. I love the flowing shapes and the subtle hues running through it besides the purple that make the purple come out so rich. It's beautiful. Definitely abstract but also true to the reference and representational.

I was at a loss with this one, all three challenges stumped me unless I tried the boats scene by night on black paper and did it with only a few shining white and pale blue highlights. I still might try that, but it's so complicated that's what held me back. I'm not anywhere near as good with manufactured things as with natural subjects.

The cactus looked too complicated too, until tonight when I realized doh, in oil pastels I can put light over dark.

So here's my challenge cactus, loose and using no actual greens or browns, an experiment in mixing greens and mixing golden browns with violets and yellows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2009/70184-ChallengeCactusOP.jpg
Challenge Cactus
8" x 10" approx.
Neopastels on sketchbook paper

Art Pie
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Robert, your cactus is beautifully represented here.
I love the build up of colour layers in the shadow area. The "valleys & hills" of your cactus are great too. :thumbsup:

halthepainter
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Lovely job Robert.

I think I'll take a pass on the cactus this month. I've just about decided what I want to do with the boats. I'll ponder it a few more days yet before giving it a try. Currently I'm working on an aviation piece in acrylic.

oldrockchick
09-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Robert - how interesting... lovely and wild interpretation. I se eyou added in a bit of last month's challenge too with the mixing greens.

I'm going to work on the tree root- I['ve been lookingat it a while and have started to 'see it' differently. It might be a bit of a stray from the ref but I'm going for it.

I love boats but without a ref for the lighting and shadows I think it would be too cerebral for me to get as accurate as my pedantic brain would accept so I'll have to give that one a pass. I've already re-aligned a cactus this month... changing the time of day is beyond my mystical powers :lol:

marieUK
09-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Love the cactus Robert, really free,fantastic colours:)

SammyH
09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Great cactus, Robert. Vibrant colors.

oldrockchick
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Oh well here goes.... yes I'm weird but when I turned the ref through 90 degrees this IS what I saw....

The Old Man of Sequoia
Mixed OPs on Gesso primed oil canvas sheet 10" x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2009/179312-OP_Sept_Old_Man_of_Sequioa.JPG

The sheet does have a LOT of texture to it, but I thought it would be fun to use.

SammyH
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
OMG Lin. I love it.:thumbsup: You are really preparing for Halloween. I love the suggestion of an eye on the left and the long, crooked nose with piggy nostrils, his long white hair blowing into his face and mixing with his white beard. The mouth makes me think of that famous painting, "The Scream." This guy is definitely screaming but it seems that people should be screaming at the sight of him. Love the looseness and the colors.

This is most definitely creative and very well done. Take a bow!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

SammyH
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
OMG Lin. I love it. You are really preparing for Halloween. I love the suggestion of an eye on the left and the and the long, crooked nose with piggy nostrils, his long white hair blowing into his face and mixing with his white beard. The mouth makes me think of that famous painting, "The Scream." This guy is definitely screaming but it seems that people should be screaming at the sight of him. Love the looseness and the colors.

Very well done! Take a bow!

SammyH
09-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I typed the first response to your painting, Lin, and then after waiting for about ten minutes for it to be posted, decided to type it again but not advance. When that one posted, the first one was posted. Go figure!

Anyhow, I guess I just needed to tell you twice how much I like this.

halthepainter
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Sammy you're hogging the posts. My goodness an instant replay of your last post!!!:wink2: :lol: :lol: :lol: No wonder I couldn't get on site for about ten minutes. :confused: :lol:

Lin your concept and the quality of your work on this is fantastic. Well done and bravo.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know Sammy that has happened to me once or twice also.:heart:

SammyH
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Hal, It just did, three times on the Gusher.

robertsloan2
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Thank you! Lin, that is so cool. I love the Old Man of Sequoia. He's like the Green Man in shock over depredations to the environment. Not scary to me but immensely moving, so powerful and so fascinating. I love the way you found his face turning the reference.

That reference seems to be getting everyone to treat it with imagination. Something about it makes it like finding horses and whales in clouds, it's so cool that way. Yours rocks.

marieUK
09-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Well done Lin, you found the spirit of the tree locked in that stump:clap: .....I knew we'd find him if we all looked hard enough. Wonderful job:)

Scarefishcrow
09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I typed the first response to your painting, Lin, and then after waiting for about ten minutes for it to be posted, decided to type it again but not advance. When that one posted, the first one was posted. Go figure!

Anyhow, I guess I just needed to tell you twice how much I like this.

Sammy, this is not an uncommon problem I've noticed. I do not know the reason, but sometimes the progress bar seems to hand for a long time. Almost every time that happens to me the post has already been registered. After waiting I tend to copy my text if a long post and save it in notepad, then kill explorer or that tab and check the thread. It is usually there already.

Go figure, indeed.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Lin, What is it about spooky, gnarled faces this month????:lol:

I blame Hal for planting the suggestion. I'm surprised he didn''t see the Ram in there!!!!:eek: :lol: :eek:

Bill

halthepainter
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Lin, What is it about spooky, gnarled faces this month????:lol:

I blame Hal for planting the suggestion. I'm surprised he didn''t see the Ram in there!!!!:eek: :lol: :eek:

Bill

Bill the ram is not in the stump, it's hiding behind the cactus.

Lin's spooky face is fantastic. It could well be one of the tree characters in the "Lord of The Rings" movie. This isn't "boiler plate praise Lin. I really love what you did. In fact I'm envious, I wish I had done that. :heart: :envy:

Art Pie
09-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh boy what fun I've just had. And no scary monsters in sight.

Tree Root Abstract

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2009/190879-treerootabstract.jpg

halthepainter
09-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Nice bright and fun Cy.

Of course there are faces in there you just have to look.

Darn, I don't see Bills ram though.

Art Pie
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Ty Hal, I can see a family of dolphins having a playful time together, and I can even see the tail end of Bill's hippo :wink2:

PiscesWoman
09-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Cy, I love this! I see a pair of fiery eagles swooping.

Lin - Those eyes - 1 dark 1 light - spooky!

oldrockchick
09-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Cy - amazing colours. I do see a face too. On the right hand side going vertical diagonally facing eastwards :P

Thanks for all the positive comments on my old man of sequioa.

btw what is all this about Bill and a Ram?

SammyH
09-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Cy,

This is an exciting rendition of the tree roots. Great colors and design. It appears that the root ball is in the process of burning up. Very hot painting.

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Bill the ram is not in the stump, it's hiding behind the cactus. :lol: :lol: Waiting for me, no doubt!

Lin's spooky face is fantastic. It could well be one of the tree characters in the "Lord of The Rings" movie.
You know, Hal, you are right. It looked familiar when I first saw it but does have the look of one of the Ents!

This isn't "boiler plate praise Lin. I really love what you did. In fact I'm envious, I wish I had done that. :heart: :envy:

I echo Hal's praise!

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2009, 08:57 AM
WOW, Cy. What an explosion of bold colors. I can't find any trace of my hippo though, as Karen suggested.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Hal, should we tell her or let her figure it out???

Bill

halthepainter
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Hi Lin, Bill and I have had an on going banter about a thread Bill started. He had a work in progress and challenged us to guess what the image in the painting would be.

I proved that it had to be a ram but he stubornly contends that it is a hippo. The banter has continued for many pages.

Here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576358&page=5

marieUK
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Tree root abstract
Wow Cy that is bright and bold, I think this is a reference that really spoke to a lot of us. Gorgeous colours, the more you look at it the more you see, like looking into the flames of a fire.:thumbsup:

Weezy
09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm BACK!!!

Hooray to all of you who have taken up this month's challenge. I am so gratified to see the results of my challenge to you all. This is an amazing display of creativity. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite,,,,,,and the fun of the interpretations - WOW.

I am decompressing from our trip to Iowa...I'll be back later.

WOW, you guys.

Scarefishcrow
09-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm BACK!!!

Hooray to all of you who have taken up this month's challenge. I am so gratified to see the results of my challenge to you all. This is an amazing display of creativity. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite,,,,,,and the fun of the interpretations - WOW.

I am decompressing from our trip to Iowa...I'll be back later.

WOW, you guys.

Great to have you back, Louise. Everyone has been busy as a bunch of bees revealing all sorts of things about their "ids" in your "Rorschach Root Ball" challenge!!! :lol:

jmcedeno
09-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Marie, your purple-themed tree root system is gorgeous. I love the flowing shapes and the subtle hues running through it besides the purple that make the purple come out so rich. It's beautiful. Definitely abstract but also true to the reference and representational.

I was at a loss with this one, all three challenges stumped me unless I tried the boats scene by night on black paper and did it with only a few shining white and pale blue highlights. I still might try that, but it's so complicated that's what held me back. I'm not anywhere near as good with manufactured things as with natural subjects.

The cactus looked too complicated too, until tonight when I realized doh, in oil pastels I can put light over dark.

So here's my challenge cactus, loose and using no actual greens or browns, an experiment in mixing greens and mixing golden browns with violets and yellows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2009/70184-ChallengeCactusOP.jpg
Challenge Cactus
8" x 10" approx.

Robert, love the colors and the very creative way to interpret the cactus.

jmcedeno
09-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Oh well here goes.... yes I'm weird but when I turned the ref through 90 degrees this IS what I saw....

The Old Man of Sequoia
Mixed OPs on Gesso primed oil canvas sheet 10" x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2009/179312-OP_Sept_Old_Man_of_Sequioa.JPG

The sheet does have a LOT of texture to it, but I thought it would be fun to use.
I looked at it from a distance and saw a WOLF, also.
Great abstract! good job.

Scarefishcrow
09-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Robert, somehow amidst all the spooky "root balls", I missed your cactus. As you said, a nice and loose interpretation.
Good Job.

Bill

Challenge Cactus
8" x 10" approx.

oldrockchick
09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I looked at it from a distance and saw a WOLF, also.
Great abstract! good job.
You know now you come to say that I took another look and I reckon that works.:thumbsup: I do my work pretty close up between head and desk only ab out 2 feet so often until I post it on here I dont' see my work as it is.

Robert - Now that is a lively interpretation of the cactus. Lovely bright colours too. I see you are carrying over last month's theme of the green mixing too. :thumbsup:

Louise - welcome back I hope you enjoyed your holiday and got some cool photos and maybe some sketches. Did you have good weather?

Weezy
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
We had a lovely trip Lin. We stopped at Acoma Pueblo in NM, and had the most wonderful tour and visit. It was extraordinary. I highly recommend to anyone travelling I40 west of Albuquerque to take the time and take exit 102 to tour Sky City Acoma.

The nicest part was the people - they are the most friendly I have ever met. They certainly enriched our expereince there. Sketching is not allowed on the reservation land and a permit to use a camera must be bought at either the hotel or the cultural center. They are strict about how and when you can take pictures. It is a matter of respect for their holy places, which are all around them.
But no time for sketches, though I did take pictures unending. I should have painting material for years, from the whole trip.:thumbsup:

halthepainter
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I've decided to call it quits on this month's challenges with the posting of my night scene. :(

I had a great deal of trouble handling the medium and gave up trying to put any detail on my boats so they are not well done nor detailed. I wound up just trying to get a feeling of a night scene. I had intended to add additional elements, a lighthouse on the high promotory, and at least one moving boat in the background, but I decided that I was having too much trouble with the medium to keep working the painting.

I had intended to use "walnut Hollow" pencils to put in detail on the boats but was unable to get any purchase on the paper to get a good line down. I see I need to experiment a great deal yet to achieve the effects I want.
I have John Elliot's book on oil Pastels but have only skimmed through it so far. I will dig into it more for next month's challenges and see if I can improve my performance.

I include this image as a work in progress that I will probably not work on again. I'm showing the image because we're all friends here (I hope) and perhaps others of us are also having problems with the medium and we can commiserate together.

I really need to get a better handle on the medium. (No Bill I'm not fishing for compliments it is an unsatisfactory painting but I take it as a learning experience.):lol: :lol:

At the moment, my frustration level is quite high but I'm anxious to find another subject to paint which I will try on an alternate surface and see what happens. I have seen enough great work with OPs that I don't want to give up in frustration just yet.

I used watercolor paper, Erengi's and Walnut Hollow pencils. The image is 11 by 14 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2009/140488-lores_night_OP_challenge2.JPG

Weezy
09-23-2009, 02:12 AM
OK Hal, enough self-flagellation here. This is not a bad painting. Clearly it is not an easy challenge and this piece is really not bad at all. When you move out of your comfort zone, you question....and that is great. No growth is without pain. The overall is really good.

My self-imposed task this week is to try this piece also, and I will post mine after having had the benefit of seeing how this has been attacked by others. You have gotten a respectable feeling of evening with this. I didn't say it had to be midnight.

I like it Hal. So please don't feel bad about this piece. My intent is to lay in the fussy drawing in colored pencils, and do the broad areas in OP. So mine will be more of a mixed media, although both are wax based. I have more wax based pencils than I can use in a lifetime.

marieUK
09-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Hal I think I know what you mean.....although I think its a really good piece of work, it just isnt what you saw in your head when you wanted to paint it. I think it happens to all of us, well it definitely happens to me a lot:)

I don't seem to have a lot of luck with using pencils for details, I think maybe I dont think far enough ahead and by the time I want to use them there's just too much OP on to succeed with them. Ive sort of developed my own ways round it, I dont know if this is helpful but this is what I do. I have a very firm clay shaper and I use that with some OP on it, sometime I scratch back and put this OP in the space I've created, also I use the sharp point of a pallette knife to lay on tiny bits of OP when I cant get it to lay over my layers any other way, that way I seem to be able to get tiny bits of OP to float on to the top layer. I don't know if I've explained it very well but please don't get too frustrated, you are very talented and you will get where you want to be in the end:)

Pat Isaac
09-23-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree with Louise about this painting Hal. There are some very nice areas especially the water and the rippling highlights. The feeling of night is there. The pencils are tricky to use, as the Ops need to be well set up. I also use color shapers.

pat

SammyH
09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Hal,

I agree with what has already been said. You are awfully hard on yourself but then it is frustrating to be unable to execute an idea that is so clear in your mind. The water is lovely and it fades into the horizon nicely.

For detail, you can use a brush and mineral oil or solvent (Turpenoid). My preference is the oil since that is the composition of the OPs. I'm not sure what effect the solvent will have on the OPs long term. The oil takes a long time to dry but the solvent dries very quickly. Dip your brush in the medium, blot it and rub it on the OP to pick up color. Paint like you would with acrylics.

oldrockchick
09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Hal - I understand how you feel as so many times I have in my mind an image and I'm unable to get it to paper. If I could I may end up as legendary genius as Picasso or Dali. That's what makes them great because they could! It is frustrating, but I bet when they started out they couldnt' either. Just look at Dali's earlier works compared to his later technical excellency. What is also difficult is trying to relay somethign that you cannoyt actually see. We can all work from refs, I myself find it hard to work without 'copying' from some sort of visual stimulus. This is exactly why I havent' tackled this scene. I can't get round it in my head how to change it and accuratley depict the light and atmosphere. You are braver than I - because you tried. At least you had a visualisation in your head, which beats me as I can't see it.

It's not as bad as you think. It is more twilight than nnight, which is fine. It is that time of the year and day when the sky is part blue and part dark. A little like last night when I was driving to my art class and it was like night at ground level yet still blue with light in the sky. That is an amazing time of day, and difficult to depict. Overall your picture is pleasing to look at and therefore has aesthetic merit. You are not happy because it wasn't what YOU wanted to depict. So I understadn yoru disappointment.

I can't get 'Walnut Hollow' pencils here in the UK, I have tried detailing with Polys but found it takes off OP and can leave an unwanted sgraffito effect.

I have made details in a number of ways.

1/ I get a medium to hard OP and sharpen it to a point.

2/ I get a soft OP and a very hard clay shaper and poke it into the soft OP to pick up colour and lay it down.

3/ another method that is a little more tricky is to lay down as thin a line as possible then I use a nail file or hard sharp shaper to scrape or bring up the bits that are too wide or to thin down.

4/ I have also used the 'back end' of a newish pastel that still has a hardish shapr edge.

Hope this helps

Hope these ideas help

Scarefishcrow
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Hal, I understand the frustration, too. I'm not just learning a new medium, I'm just plain learning, period!

I know you aren't fishing for compliments, you know me well enough to know I would only make such a remark in jest with a friend.

Put it aside. Try a subject you are REALLY comfortable with and reassure yourself before continuing to push the comfort zone, perhaps.

I think it was Winston Churchill that said something (roughly) like

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

Not to suggest your paintings are failures, but I think you understand what I'm getting at!

Bill

Weezy
09-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Bill is right. We all set standards that are self-imposed. Sometimes those standards are not achieved through lack of prior planning, or lack of concrete concept, or possibly lack of technical familiarity, as we try to grow. Of all of these three, I think the last one bites us in the butt more than any other. But that is a transitiry state if we continue to learn. Keep this piece. Its got a lot of good in it.
You are a good artist. Do not shoot yourself in the foot over a growing experience. None of these challenges was meant to destroy your confidence, but rather to force you to grow. So in this case I deem this piece a TOTAL success.
So you think about how you could have attacked this differently (several suggestions sound to have merit), and you plan your next growth piece with the benefit of what you learned on this one. I call that a success.

halthepainter
09-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Bill, I know your comments have been in jest as has my banter been with you.

I don't yet have a variety of techniques I'm comfortable with when using this medium. I'm still basically using soft pastel techniques. I did use a palette knife to scrape away sections of the painting and rework two of the boats. I will try using op with a palette knife to see if I can work in detail that way.

Lin I have been using the back end of the pastels to get a sharp edge, alas that doesn't last long. With soft pastels, I would break them to get a sharp edge but with these, I soon end up with a squishy lump between my fingers. I too frugal (cheap) to sharpen my pastels into points but I may explore brush and solvent although I hate solvents, which is why I'm going for ops rather than oil paints.

Sammy I will give oil a try although in my first pastel in this forum I used linseed oil and it took about a week to dry. My ventilation is not good where I paint so I avoid solvents.

Thank you Pat you're a sweetheart. (that's what Bill says):heart: I used color shapers for blending on this one. My fingers were too thick to get into some of the nooks and cranies.

Thank you Marie, you explained yourself very well. I will experiment with palette knives more. It seems once I've put down a layer of OP, my oil pencils are useless. (perhaps they would work better on sanded paper although blending with fingers on sanded paper is tough on my pinkies:lol: )

Weezy it is a good challenge. I just have so much difficulty with detail in this medium. I will have to learn to deal with the delicate application of the medium.

Scarefishcrow
09-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Bill, I know your comments have been in jest as has my banter been with you.

I know, Hal, and I really understand your frustration. I'm a late starter and still struggling with any media!

I don't know if these will help but here are some threads discussing how to deal with detailing.

Doing Detail work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530787 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530787)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518065)

Bill

halthepainter
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you Bill those links are most helpful but really a teat washer??:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-8-10-2008_7-07-59_PM_0051.jpg

:thumbsup: :evil: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Bill the links are excellent and thank you for taking time and effort on my problems. I have so much to learn about the various techniques of applying oil pastels to achieve the results I'm looking for and so little time. At my age, I'm impatient with slow results.

Thanks again Dr Bill (aka friend).

Scarefishcrow
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you Bill those links are most helpful but really a teat washer??:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-8-10-2008_7-07-59_PM_0051.jpg

:thumbsup: :evil: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Bill the links are excellent and thank you for taking time and effort on my problems. I have so much to learn about the various techniques of applying oil pastels to achieve the results I'm looking for and so little time. At my age, I'm impatient with slow results.

Thanks again Dr Bill (aka friend).

You are most welcome, friend. And don't laugh. I live in the Dairy State remember. You would be amazed what uses things like teat washers and other paraphenalia at Fleet Farm can be used for with a little imagination!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GOSH
09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Hello Everyone!

Great efforts from everyone so far. I find this months challenge really hard and here is my contribution: Base is oil paint board of something I started and then scrapped that seems to fit perfectly (Williamsburg phtalo blue with Lukas white) and Senneliers for the rest. Size is 12''x12''1/2
For some reason I can't get the boat to float, so to speak. I'm letting the colors and my brain rest for a few hours.:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2009/143278-S7300870_.JPG

Weezy
09-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Gosh. I really like the cast shadows of the boats, and the way you use scrafitto. Is this finished? If not, what do you intend to do further? I like the base colors so far.

GOSH
09-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi Gosh. I really like the cast shadows of the boats, and the way you use scrafitto. Is this finished? If not, what do you intend to do further? I like the base colors so far.

TY, Weezy, I have worked on it some more but I'm having trouble with the basic shape of the boat. The colors are a little livelier than in the picture.

Pat Isaac
09-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Nice start Gosh. I like your base colors also. I think the top part of the boat is a little off center with the bottom.

Pat

oldrockchick
09-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Heya GOSH where have you been hiding ? good to see you back.
Nice start on your boats abd very very brave. Braver than me and I love painting boats.
I've always had trouble 'floating my boat'

You would be amazed what uses things like teat washers and other paraphenalia at Fleet Farm can be used for with a little imagination!

You have no idea how that looked when I first glanced at it.....:o :eek: :p :wink2: :lol:

SammyH
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Gosh, this is a good start. I agree about the center boat needing some centering. Also, when completed, it could be cropped on one side or the other so that boat isn't dead center. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Hal, the first time I used Colorfix my fingertips were raw. But since then, I've been using the primer and not the ready-made paper and it isn't near as abrasive. Also, when I use mineral oil, it is minute amounts. I do not saturate the OPs with it.

halthepainter
09-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Hal, the first time I used Colorfix my fingertips were raw. But since then, I've been using the primer and not the ready-made paper and it isn't near as abrasive. Also, when I use mineral oil, it is minute amounts. I do not saturate the OPs with it.

Thank you Sammy. I plan to experiment with different surfaces. I had thought that watercolor paper would be the right solution for me but after my last effort, I know I need to try something else.

Gosh, that's a great start. The colors are great. You might check the symmetry of your boat's waterline. The left side seems to be quite wide.

On Sammy's point, I extended the left side of my boat painting to get my main boat (center of focus) out of the center of the composition. Of course I messed it up again by putting my ramp down the center of the composition but based on my thumbnail's, the ramp just didn't seem to fit in anywhere else.

Spice3514
09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Dear Louise and everyone,
Hasnt this month gone fast? I've been away but am back now and catching up with all the posts.
Robert - nice cactus, I would almost say cute, if thats not an insult to such a prickly plant
All the tree roots came out great, and I admire everyone who found various creatures lurking in the depths.
Hal and GOSH, great take on the boats. Hal, I particularly like the night sky, and the pools of light below the streetlamp. Thanks also for 'explaining' in your picture what those upright things are - I really was not sure until I saw you had completed the top half. GOSH, I love the muted colours you have used and the whole atmosphere of the piece. I'm approaching this challenge as trying to get a nighttime atmosphere, and not necessarily a spot-on drawing, after all at night the edges of things do disappear it it all gets more mysterious and uncertain. I think you're well on the way to that.

I struggled quite a bit with atmosphere, and I'm still not sure if this looks like night (but I should mention that it looks darker in reality, dont know why but the camera has enhanced the lights). Anyway, its on the honeycomb side of canson mi-teintes paper with neopastels. Around 10 x 12 inches
By the way, I'd also like to thank everyone, especially Bill, for the very constructive comments on my first post a few weeks ago, they were very helpful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2009/183415-Sept-09-Boats-at-night.jpg

halthepainter
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Brenda, wonderful. A wonderful sense of night, I like your composition and great job overall.

Geeze, I wish I didn't feel so envious of all you artists who know what you're doing.:evil: :evil: :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome back, Brenda. Definitely has a night atmosphere. Nicely done.

Pat

marieUK
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Love it Brenda, great job:thumbsup:

oldrockchick
09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
well done. I particulalry like the placing of the moon and the light.

Shirl Parker
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
GOSH, where have you been? We've been worried about you.

Weezy
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome back Brenda. I am impressed. That night time challenge is not an easy one. I got the idea from a workshop that I took and the instructor made us take a picture of a day scene and transform it into night. This is really good. I also agree with the prior comments.

Its so nice and gratifying to see the ways everybody is interpreting this particular challenge. Interesting that most of those who are trying it waited until somewhere around the last half of the month to try. Let's see some more.:clap: :clap:

SammyH
09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Welcome back, Brenda. Nice night scene. Good composition.

Art Pie
09-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone, sorry for my absence. Our internet has been down for nearly a week, and only just come back on (still no phones yet though).

It was a good job I saved a copy of the ref boat image because I was able to work on this op while I couldn't connect.

So here is my night scene of the fishing boats. I decided to give it a go after all.

C & C welcome, as I know more work needs doing to it before I am happy with it.

10" x 13" on black Mi Tientes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2009/190879-moonboats.jpg

marieUK
09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Love it, it was well worth waiting for:)

GOSH
09-27-2009, 08:33 AM
WOW! Art Pie, that looks great. :clap:
Brenda, love your challenge too though the pilar on the right is very distracting (for some odd reason).

Pat Isaac
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice work on the night scene, Cy. I really like the lights on the distant shore

Pat

Weezy
09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Art Pie! I was wondering why nobody had used a dark colored support. I have started mine and will post later this week. It's on dark blue Colorfix. You have half the battle won on this challenge, when you start with a dark color. Which color is not critical. Its the value that counts.

Yours is totally believable. Nice work. I think its a good thing you lost connectivity for a bit....even if it was bothersome. Look at how nice this turned out.

I think what Gosh is talking about is the way our minds see things. Not our eyes. We tend to have vision that sharpens the focal area and fades as you move away from it. Landscape painters tend to not put their lightest areas on the peripheral edges of the piece, keeping your eye in the painting. If you follow that reasoning, the boat to the right, away from the moonlight, should be a slight bit darker, including the masts, because your area of greatest contrast is to the left, under the direct moonlight. Is that what you mean Gosh?

halthepainter
09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Fabulous Cy, I love it.

SammyH
09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Cy,

Using black paper really helped to create this convincing night scene. Your reflections on the water are nice.

Spice3514
09-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Really nice boats Cy, using the black paper was a very good idea. I've never tried black paper but I've seen Robert also get some very good effects with it. Seeing your version also makes me see what GOSH means about the pillar which I put on the right side, it is distracting and I will tone it down (though its more distracting in the photo than in reality, the camera made it come out really light).
Louise thanks for explaining the theoretical basis for it. I do find that kind of stuff helpful - my art library is not so big yet, and I dont have any teachers except the WC community. (Though I've just started a life drawing class to help with another problem area of mine).
Brenda

GOSH
09-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Art Pie! I was wondering why nobody had used a dark colored support. I have started mine and will post later this week. It's on dark blue Colorfix. You have half the battle won on this challenge, when you start with a dark color. Which color is not critical. Its the value that counts.

Yours is totally believable. Nice work. I think its a good thing you lost connectivity for a bit....even if it was bothersome. Look at how nice this turned out.

I think what Gosh is talking about is the way our minds see things. Not our eyes. We tend to have vision that sharpens the focal area and fades as you move away from it. Landscape painters tend to not put their lightest areas on the peripheral edges of the piece, keeping your eye in the painting. If you follow that reasoning, the boat to the right, away from the moonlight, should be a slight bit darker, including the masts, because your area of greatest contrast is to the left, under the direct moonlight. Is that what you mean Gosh?

You managed to explain it beautifully and also the shape itself feels rather blocky compared to the rest.

GOSH
09-27-2009, 08:25 PM

You managed to explain it beautifully. Also the shape itself feels rather blocky compared to the rest.

GOSH
09-28-2009, 08:18 AM
So, okay; I started this challenge on a gessoed board, pretty oil background and so forth.
But it wasn't working out. So I decided to scale down to a more manageable size (it was 10"x13" aprox.) and start all over again.
The finished work is 6"x18", 140lb strathmore watercolor paper, a layer of gesso, Senneliers and linseed oil (from the hardware section - the cheapo dark stuff), and a 3/8 brush.
It's considered "done" because if I keep messing with it I'll destroy it somehow. Your critiques are most welcome. Notice how the ships are now environmentally friendly, using only renewable energy. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2009/143278-S7300894_.JPG

oldrockchick
09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Cy - That is a really great answer to the challenge. You certaianly got to grips and came out trumps.

GOSH - I just absolutely LOVE the colours!!! What can I say! The sea is tranquil and the genlte waves so well formed. Love the panoramic composisiont too. Well done.

You are all so much braver than I.

halthepainter
09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Well done Gosh. I'm just now considering using solvents with my oil pastels. How well did the linseed oild work for you and how long did it take to dry. I am trying to avoid volitile solvents and if you liked linseed oil, I'll give it a try.

GOSH
09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Well done Gosh. I'm just now considering using solvents with my oil pastels. How well did the linseed oild work for you and how long did it take to dry. I am trying to avoid volitile solvents and if you liked linseed oil, I'll give it a try.

Thanks, hal. JMW Turner was my inspiration and I wish I did the ships modern like in the reference picture but I was lazy.
The linseed oil worked nicely, though better with the opaque than with the transparent senns. Be prepared for wet-on-wet painting because it takes forever to dry. Use the linseed oil sparingly. A minute amount will be enough and it will help with drying time.

I'm trying to reduce to a minimum the use of turpenoids and sticking to linseed. It's much easier to clean the brush after using oil pastels than it is after using oil paints.

Crechat39
09-28-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2009/169975-nightboats2.jpg Hello Hi everyone,
Here is my very first finished oil pastel painting !:smug: It is such hard work. My arms ache with blending.
I have tried watercolours for y e a r s without any ptogress. Well anything I would call progress. Oil pastels are so rich in colour. I'm investigating different makes and different supports. At the moment I've only worked on white paper but would like to try some bold coloured surfaces.
Thanks to all those wetcanvassers who have shared their ideas with all of us.

halthepainter
09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Margaret, welcome to the wetcanvas. Your first effort is quite nice. Glad to see you're a dog lover too. I have had a dog for three years now and love my Gus more than I ever imagined I could. Sorry to digress, we're a pretty loose group in the oil pastel forum. Jump into our weekly oil gusher and join in the chit chat.

Once again a good first effort. Bill and Pat will probably join in soon, they're our official greeters.

Pat Isaac
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Margaret and welcome to the OP forum....:wave: nice to have you aboard. This is a very nice first OP and you certainly have achieved te feeling on moonlight. Some of the other papers are nice to work on and there are tools called color shapers that help with the blending. Bill will be along soon to give you all the links that might be helpful. Looking forward to more.

pat

GOSH
09-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Hello Crechat39!

Welcome! I like the angle of your boardwalk and the general shape of the ships.
It's easy to ache and suffer for one's art, I almost lost the skin of my fingers on Wallace paper once or twice. About killed a color shaper too.

Oh, the pain of the Artist! ;)

oldrockchick
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
:wave: Crechat Salut :clap: et Bienvenue de la familie OP

Lovely work on your boats in the moonlight. Very good and your first attempt at OP too. bravo!

We are a little whacky but a great and supportive binch and this forum is a lovely place to hang out. Come join us in the Oil Gusher and tell us about your day. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585655

Scarefishcrow
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM

I'm sure you are aware of this, Hal, but just so others realize linseed oil is a "siccative" (drying by slow oxidation) oil like that used in oil paints. Therefore the support should be prepared in a way to prevent intrusion of the linseed oil into the support since over time it will become brittle and degrade the support.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
GOSH, BRENDA, CY, MARGARET,

All great efforts at the "challenging challenge"! I won't comment on each one as you are all at various stages of development and I don't want to end up comparing one vs. others even indirectly.

As the the "days dwindle down to a precious few" in September and we approach the month in which LARGE NUMBERS of impressive people were born and IMPORTANT EVENTS occur, OCTOBER, another thanks to Louise for her ingenious challenge and all those that participated rose to the challenge regardless of their own opinions of their work.

Thanks for making this a fun challenge and stetching your various skills!

BILL

halthepainter
09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm sure you are aware of this, Hal, but just so others realize linseed oil is a "siccative" (drying by slow oxidation) oil like that used in oil paints. Therefore the support should be prepared in a way to prevent intrusion of the linseed oil into the support since over time it will become brittle and degrade the support.

Bill

Thank you Bill. :thumbsup:

I've participated in several threads on this issue now but it is a good reminder for those who are new to the forum. :thumbsup:

I plan to give it a try on supports that I've gessoed.

Scarefishcrow
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Thank you Bill. :thumbsup:

I've participated in several threads on this issue now but it is a good reminder for those who are new to the forum. :thumbsup:

I plan to give it a try on supports that I've gessoed.

I knew you aware, but like to take every chance possible to promote the importance of knowing how all your materials interact. Hope you don't mind my using your post as a vehicle for that.

Thanks!

Bill

halthepainter
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I knew you aware, but like to take every chance possible to promote the importance of knowing how all your materials interact. Hope you don't mind my using your post as a vehicle for that.

Thanks!

Bill

Not at all Bill. I knew that's what you were doing hence the: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GOSH
09-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Bill

I used a layer of gesso, so I'm hoping it will do the job. The previous month's challenge didn't have that protective layer so my masterpiece chicken :rolleyes: is not going to withstand the passing of time.

Scarefishcrow
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I used a layer of gesso, so I'm hoping it will do the job. The previous month's challenge didn't have that protective layer so my masterpiece chicken :rolleyes: is not going to withstand the passing of time.

A layer of acrylic gesso should do the job.

Bill

jmcedeno
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi, All
Here is my version of the challenge, I thought I was working on a night scene but in reality its been a NIGHTMARE, I got carried away in the composition by combining the ref. photo with two of my own, one showing the Landmark rock in Morro Bay (focal point), and a sunset I shot from my house in LA, also at dusk. In my estimation it is finished, I had it. I want to move on. Period.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2009/159973-Morro_Bay-IMG_0884.jpg

halthepainter
09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Great job on the boats Jose.

Art Pie
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Very nice composition Jose. Love the boat name :D :wink2:
Lovely to see a slightly different angle for the boats, and a different scene in the background.
You have mastered this challenge :thumbsup:

GOSH
09-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Great job, jose. The way you did the boats is awesome. Love how you tied the ships and did away with the pilar completely. Great sunset.

oldrockchick
09-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Jose - your composition is fantastic. I love the add-ins and those colours are amazing. It may have been a nightmare but it came out like a dream.
:clap:

I think yo've all done amazingly well.

I was way too http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2009/179312-argh_chicken_1990_animado.gif to even try it!

Pat Isaac
09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
What a great interpretation of the image, Jose. Love that sky...

Pat

jmcedeno
10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for my absence. Our internet has been down for nearly a week, and only just come back on (still no phones yet though).

It was a good job I saved a copy of the ref boat image because I was able to work on this op while I couldn't connect.

So here is my night scene of the fishing boats. I decided to give it a go after all.

C & C welcome, as I know more work needs doing to it before I am happy with it.

10" x 13" on black Mi Tientes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2009/190879-moonboats.jpg
It is superbly done no doubt about it, it is 10:00 PM at least, on a full moon lovely and quite, I can hear the water breaking against the sides of the boats. Great job, congrats.

Jose

jmcedeno
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Thank you very much LIN, GOSH, CY, HAL, PAT for your nice comments on my piece.

Weezy
10-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Great job everyone......the effort has been heart-warming. And the results have been really great, showing a lot of growth.:thumbsup:

Least I could do is post mine. This posting is part 1 and 2 only. Part 3 will be tomorrow. I decided to start with pencils on dark blue colourfix, to establish the details, then come in with OPs. I have the first layer of OP on in this picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/46700-MorrobyMoonlightRed1.jpg

Here it is with the first dark lay-in, still establishing a base and no lights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/46700-MorrobyMoonlightRed2.jpg

Funny how the camera interprets the paper color differently on both. No tint adjustments performed here, either.

I am running behind, because I got rear-ended Sunday and I have been fighting a whopper of a headache and chest wall injuries.

Pat Isaac
10-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Please take it easy.
Your painting is looking just great!

Pat

oldrockchick
10-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Eeek Cy - sorry to hear about your accident I hope you got checked out. ...and got good records and evidence of your injury. If they hit you from the back it was their fault for sure so you should get compensation.

Lovely start to your work. Can't wait to see the finish.

Thanks for hosting this month. Great challenges.

halthepainter
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I hope you recover quickly Weezy. Your painting is looking great.

GOSH
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Weezy, I'm sorry to hear of your accident and please be ok and get yourself checked by a doctor.
Your painting is not accident, however. It's a WOW! and it's not even finished!
Take Care.

Weezy
10-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Not to worry Gosh....spent over 3 hours in the ER, and saw the doctor on Tuesday. Nothing is broken, but the pain from the ripped chest muscles/ligaments is miserable. Bad enough I am not even contemplating going plein air on Saturday, which is my usual. He said weeks of discomfort to recovery, that is if they do not have to go in and re-attach anything.
But this kind of thing I can do in my recliner, on a light board. So it has given me something to do.

Here is number 3.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2009/46700-MorrobyMoonlightRed3.jpg

Getting there. No value is above 3 on a 1-10 scale from white to black. It sure looks lighter in places. I guess cause there's so much dark surrounding. I am putting away my whites. I have to keep slapping that hand. It keeps reaching for that one creamy white.:eek:

jmcedeno
10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Great job everyone......the effort has been heart-warming. And the results have been really great, showing a lot of growth.:thumbsup:

Least I could do is post mine. This posting is part 1 and 2 only. Part 3 will be tomorrow. I decided to start with pencils on dark blue colourfix, to establish the details, then come in with OPs. I have the first layer of OP on in this picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/46700-MorrobyMoonlightRed1.jpg

Here it is with the first dark lay-in, still establishing a base and no lights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2009/46700-MorrobyMoonlightRed2.jpg

Funny how the camera interprets the paper color differently on both. No tint adjustments performed here, either.

I am running behind, because I got rear-ended Sunday and I have been fighting a whopper of a headache and chest wall injuries.

Weezy, its coming along great, looking forward to the finished piece. I'm sorry about your accident, I had a similar one few years ago and for several days I felt like had been in a boxing ring with two or three boxers banging on me from all sides of my body, you'll be OK give it a few days of rest.

Art Pie
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh dear Weezy, so sorry to hear about your accident and the discomfort you are now suffering, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Your painting is great. The light area in the middle is good composition. You have achieved the night scene beautifully.:thumbsup:

Weezy
10-02-2009, 05:23 PM
You guys are all so sweet. Thank you. The moral here is don't speed in residential areas and PAY ATTENTION. If the "Joe" who hit me had been doing that, I wouldn't have been hit. You should see my "Z".......ARRRGGGHHH. It's hurt bad, poor baby.

I think I will have to finish this one. All hubby said was "It's awful dark".

Scarefishcrow
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Jose, great job and composition for the boat scene. If you got carried away, it was in the right direction!

Louise, sorry to hear of your accident. Hope all the pains and aches are transient and nothing serious. Thanks also for the serial progress of your wonderful painting of the boat scene. It is always so helpful to people like me that need to see the process so we can better understand how to achieve a result! You work is fantastic!

And thanks again for hosting!!

Bill

Weezy
10-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks everyone. It was my great pleasure to do this past month. I have since finished the piece, and added some Senn iridescents to the moon glow. It really catches the light now. I will post tomorrow after I take a picture of it and the plein air I finished from 2 weeks ago. That I will post in the plein air forum, its oils and not for this place.

jmcedeno
10-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Jose, great job and composition for the boat scene. If you got carried away, it was in the right direction!

Louise, sorry to hear of your accident. Hope all the pains and aches are transient and nothing serious. Thanks also for the serial progress of your wonderful painting of the boat scene. It is always so helpful to people like me that need to see the process so we can better understand how to achieve a result! You work is fantastic!

And thanks again for hosting!!

Bill

Bill, thank you for your comments I really appreciate it.

Weezy
10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Well here it is, all finished. I added Sennelier iridescent in very very light goldish silver (really funny hard to describe color). But when you walk by the piece, it catches the light beautifully, and the highlights sparkle. Love those irids......its the first time I ever used them. They were so old, the box disintgrated as I tried to open it. ( I know how that box felt). :(
Now I want to find something else I can use them on. The trick is to use them for effect, not try to do a whole piece with them. I think they'd look tacky if you did that.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2009/46700-Morro_Bay_by_Moonlight_reduced.jpg

Thanks for all coming along. If anyone else wants to try September's at a later date, feel free to do so.:wave:

halthepainter
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Wonderful Weezy. You really captured the feel.

Pat Isaac
10-09-2009, 07:39 AM
What a beautiful piece, Louise. You have captured the moomlight perfectly. The irids are a great addition.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
10-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Very nice, Louise. Really portrays the softness of edge and detail in darkness.

Bill

oldrockchick
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
That is so beautiful Louise.

GOSH
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Well here it is, all finished. I added Sennelier iridescent in very very light goldish silver (really funny hard to describe color). But when you walk by the piece, it catches the light beautifully, and the highlights sparkle. Love those irids......its the first time I ever used them. They were so old, the box disintgrated as I tried to open it. ( I know how that box felt). :(
Now I want to find something else I can use them on. The trick is to use them for effect, not try to do a whole piece with them. I think they'd look tacky if you did that.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2009/46700-Morro_Bay_by_Moonlight_reduced.jpg

Thanks for all coming along. If anyone else wants to try September's at a later date, feel free to do so.:wave:

It's beautiful, Weezy. It was a tough picture to "tackle" and the iridescents much as I love them, I find hard to use without messing everything up. Congratulations!

Weezy
10-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks Gosh. I think when I took the shot, I wanted to see it in night light, and we were there in full daylight. It was so bright, but the long shadows allow you to switch the lighting and go for dark. Just put the white away. That is hard the first time you do it.

In the plein air forum, I notice that the pieces that succeed the best have controled highlights, not a spatter all over of them, like a snowstorm.

marieUK
10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful:)

Weezy
10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Marie.

We have had some really unique and beautiful pieces in this month's September challenge. My congratulations to everyone.