PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel thread for WMO

couturej
08-25-2009, 10:00 AM
What do you think about having a What's on you easel thread for the Water Mixable Oils forum?

My thoughts on the subject are mixed. I like to see people post their paintings in the general area and feel their is more in depth comments on the paintings. If a painting is added to the What's on you easel thread once completed it can be put in the general area as well. People do seem to enjoy this type of thread both in the oil painting forum and the acrylics forum.

mawdwyn
08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I voted no; I love having the wm oils forum, but I don't think we need to totally separate ourselves from oils in general. It's nice to have one place to see what everyone is doing - whether trad. oils, alkyds, or wm. And since there's such a wide range of painting styles, talent, and experience, it's good to get feedback there - based on the actual painting (regardless of type of oils used).
The wm oils are different enough from trad. oils, and as more classrooms/workshops specify wm oils only, I think this forum will continue to grow - and we'll have a great resource for wm info and how-to's.
I think participating in the What's on your easel? in the main oil forum will help to keep a connection from wm oils to the main oil forum; as will participating in monthly projects/challenges both here and there.

Callie

couturej
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Good point Callie! Thank you!:)

RedTerra
08-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I voted no-for the same reasons as mawdwyn
RedTerra

CMHdesign
08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I voted yes simply because I like to see what others are currently working on; however, I agree with Callie. It's nice to go to one place and see it ALL.

DAK723
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Personally, coming from the pastel forum, where there is no "one thread for all", I prefer that each person open their own individual thread with their current painting. This way all the comments and updates are continuous, not scattered over many pages.

Don

Dana Design
08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
I voted no; I love having the wm oils forum, but I don't think we need to totally separate ourselves from oils in general. It's nice to have one place to see what everyone is doing - whether trad. oils, alkyds, or wm. And since there's such a wide range of painting styles, talent, and experience, it's good to get feedback there - based on the actual painting (regardless of type of oils used).
The wm oils are different enough from trad. oils, and as more classrooms/workshops specify wm oils only, I think this forum will continue to grow - and we'll have a great resource for wm info and how-to's.
I think participating in the What's on your easel? in the main oil forum will help to keep a connection from wm oils to the main oil forum; as will participating in monthly projects/challenges both here and there.

Callie

Callie, I completely agree with you and you've made some excellent points. Let's not completely separate and isolate ourselves. You can continue to use the WOYE in the main forum or simply post your work in a separate thread either here or there (or x-post). Happy painting!

judyfilarecki
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Personally, coming from the pastel forum, where there is no "one thread for all", I prefer that each person open their own individual thread with their current painting. This way all the comments and updates are continuous, not scattered over many pages.

DonI agree. It is easier to follow when you are just focusing on one painting someone has posted that has caught your interest...Judy

couturej
10-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I already voted Not sure. Now I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a What's on your easel for WMOs. We have some paintings that are being posted but very few comments. People seem to take more time posting replies to the introduce yourself thread and I think it's much easier to go to one thread and continue a conversation and comment on a painting if they're all in one area. I think it's a good way to interact with the other members and to see what is being done in WMOs. Just my thoughts.

dcorc
10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
As the poll had only got a total of 11 votes to this point, the scatter of votes was fairly even, and it had closed, I've reopened it in the hope of a larger and more decisive vote.

Personally, I've voted "no", for the following reasons - I'd like to see artists working in WMO post into the main forum's WOYE thread, rather than into a WOYE thread in the subforum here. The WOYE thread is intended as a "show and tell" or gallery thread, not for detailed discussion/critiques of works (where we would prefer that people post their work to individual threads). I don't think that "hiding WMO oil-paintings away" is the way to get them accepted (and the Mods here will not allow gratuitous perjorative comments to be made in the main forum's WOYE because the paintings are executed in WMOs).

We'd rather see in-depth discussions of paintings in their own threads, as it is much easier to do so without the discussion of different works all getting tangled up.

We have some paintings that are being posted but very few comments.

That's a problem where one has a forum with a smaller number of core participants - it tends to be the case though,that if one sustains what activity one can, tries to encourage in-depth discussion, that momentum will gradually build :)

Its early days here, yet. Patience will be rewarded :)

Dave

couturej
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Dave, Thank you for reopening the poll and sharing your thoughts on the subject. :)

kopo
10-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Totally agree with the 'no's'. Nothing to stop me, I think, from posting a part finished or finished work, and asking for comments. or alternatively I can use the main oil forum.
I seem to recall there were some adverse comments when WMO was first broached we shouldn't encourage their resurrection.
Jack

couturej
10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Jack! I certainly don't want to encourage adverse comments toward WMOs; however, their are members like me who use WMOs and they choose not participate in the main forum. I just thought that it would give people who use WMOs some of the same options as the main forum and encourage those who don't want more in depth critique a place to share their paintings or something they're working on. :)

dollardays
10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I voted no just because I think WMO are basically the same thing as regular oils -- except for the medium that is used -- so why not join other people in the WOYE oils forum thread where work will get more views and often more helpful comments and critique? I have used both kinds and personally feel there is not enough difference to warrant a separate thread, isolated from other folks.

Marty C
10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I have voted no, and I would like to add some clarification to what appears to be some misconceptions as to the purpose of the WMO sub forum.

The main purpose of the WMO subforum is for discussion of the technical aspects of Water Miscible Oils. Issues such as paints, mediums, cleaning, drying times, paint handling, support preparation, varnishing etc. Anything to do with the technical attributes of WMO where those differ from traditional oils.

The subforum is intended to be a technical resource for those adherents of WMO, and for those seeking to learn more about WMO.

The WMO subforum is not intended to be a totally separate forum, divorced from traditional oils. WMOs are still oil paints. All the aspects of painting apart from some technical paint issues are identical for WMO and traditional oils. Works completed in WMO are welcome in the main forum, and I encourage threads on individual works to be posted there. Critiques and comments on works very rarely stray into the area of which type of paint was used. As we know, most comments relate to composition and design, colour usage, concept, etc. WMO works are welcome in the main forum, and the mod staff will not tolerate any disparaging comment directed towards any WMO works made because of the use of WM paint.

A WOYE in the WMO sub forum is superfluous and unnecessary.

We do not want to see WMO become isolationist, as that is counter productive to the well being of WMO and the Oils forum in general. That was not and is not the intention, and we will be discouraging any moves which try to head in that direction.

judyfilarecki
10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Since I very rarely go to the oil forum becauseI feel so comfortable with the input in WMO, I'll just post a WIP in WMO when I'm ready and take my chances with input on it
Judy

dcorc
10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
*sigh*

We're not getting the message across, here, it seems.

Sorry, but I'm going to spell it out. the WMO subforum is not an "alternative" oils forum for those using WMO to isolate themselves in - and, I'll be blunt, because it really needs to be said - if people insist on seeing it in those terms, we will close it.

Please read Marty's post, at the end of the preceding page.

Dave

Dana Design
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
WMO is not an exclusive community! It is an integral part of the Oils community from which we can all learn.

Judy, don't feel uncomfortable within the Oils community. They will welcome you and will welcome your work. If you truly want to excel in your painting experience, ignoring the Oils community will only serve to limit your experience in painting in oils.

Let's all be a bit more inclusive as that is what the Wet Canvas community is all about.

judyfilarecki
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Sorry you are all offended by my comment. The reason I don't go into oils is because I have limited time to be on the forums and so I go where I need to go. I haven't felt the need to go to oils. I have gone to the oil pastel forum and I have gone to the acrylics forum. If I need to go to the oil forum for something, I will. I just haven't needed to.

From Dave. Sorry, but I'm going to spell it out. the WMO subforum is not an "alternative" oils forum for those using WMO to isolate themselves in - and, I'll be blunt, because it really needs to be said - if people insist on seeing it in those terms, we will close it. Dave this is the very attitude that turned me off the first time you presented yourself to the WMO forum. You stray from the thread interjecting statement like "we will close it."
I have learned a great deal from the WMO forum and there has also been a lot of information about regular oils in th is forum also.

So I'll be blunt. Please, do not threaten us with closure. There are too many of us really enjoying this forum and learning, sharing and caring.

And by the way, my response dealt with whether I would use the "what's on you easel thread" and I said I probably wouldn't, which is what this thread is about. How about we stick to the topic.

Judy

Dana Design
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Judy, I don't want to put words in Dave's mouth but he's been getting some pretty nasty PMs and emails that are completely undeserved and it could be that he'd reached a point whereby he'd just 'had' it. We all get to that point from time to time. I know that *I* have!

Let's get on with our painting and enjoy it. There's been enough said that we are all a bit frayed and that's not the purpose of WC nor is it good for any of us or for the forum.

I also know that Dave has WMOs and is eager to try them. I've asked him to let me know how it goes.

Back to my icky landscape!

Dana Design
10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I am closing this thread as we've been over and over this. You can PM me privately and I'll be happy to answer any questions and listen to your comments.

Please be advised of this rule from the User Agreement:

No Reviving Closed Topics: If a post is edited or a topic closed by a moderator, do not repost the edited material or restart the closed discussion in another thread. Similarly, do not post messages asking why a particular message was edited or a topic closed.