PDA

View Full Version : The Feather Dreamer

Lady Sume
08-24-2009, 11:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-24-2009/195851_featherboy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Feather Dreamer
Year Created:
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first submission and post! I'm only fourteen, so don't expect any masterpieces from me soon... I draw manga-style art, and i regard it as a high-art form. This piece was inspired by the artist Miou Takaya, a woman who is considered a master of manga, yet she never went to art school. Her art is very gothique and detailed, and often depicts abstract representations of people and ideas. I saw one drawing she did of a girl whose skin opened up to roses, and it gave me the idea to create someone who was made of feathers. I chose feathers because wings are my absolute favorite things to draw, and they have many meanings associated with them. I am very proud of this piece. Feel free to tell me anything you think needs improvement! ^^

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I really need help on composition... Any ideas? I know about the rule of thirds, but i have no idea how to use it, and i think my art would get boring if that were to be my only method of creating a good composition.

DanaLJensen
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
I really like this - nicely drawn... thanks for the background info!! Helps in understanding your piece.

I think the wings are great....the only area I would comment on is what is happening to the girls chest behind the birdcage....seems a little blank/sparse, is she topless or clothed etc

Compositionally.... I'll leave that to the experts!! ;)

Great job for being fourteen!!! :)

itsajem
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Nice Work, all the drawing of the figure and feathers looks really great, love the light in the hair, wish there were more light effects throughout the image. IMO The spirals look less carefully treated than the rest of the drawing. Keep it up!

Lady Sume
08-29-2009, 03:07 PM
It's a guy, which would explain the topless thing... And the spiral thing is right, i'll keep that in mind.

yarddog
08-29-2009, 03:56 PM
well it sure is manga....I am a fan of the clean lines of manga art....
but you are right that the rules for composition apply to pretty much all art forms......
I find his hair as the very dark value...attracts my eye....and doesn't want to let me enjoy the feathers....
but such is the nature of the art form....
I think it's a little high on the canvas....and I think it wants some more dark somewhere for balance...?
the wing is well done & the feathers as well.....the swirls...as itsajem typed....not so much...?
though they are of the darker value needed....you evidently sensed that need...
It's a fine drawing...pen&ink is so unforgiving...you have more courage than I can muster....
keep it up.......I look forward to more....yd